PDA

View Full Version : BRAVO to golfer Brian Davis !

Rookies
04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/13243978/davis-penalty-on-playoff-hole-leads-to-furyk-victory?

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. -- Brian Davis couldn't deny what he saw and knew he was honor-bound to tell the world.
Davis ticked a loose reed during his backswing Sunday on the first playoff hole, calling a two-stroke penalty on himself that gave Jim Furyk a victory at the Verizon Heritage.

.master table {margin-right: 8px; margin-bottom: 8px; margin-top: 8px;}.master td {padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 10px; padding-top: 6px; padding-bottom: 6px;}.master p {margin-top:6px; margin-bottom: 6px; font-size: 11px;}.master img {margin-right:4px;}.master img[src$="_hdr.jpg"] {margin-right: 0;}"It's just awkward to see it happen at such a key moment in the golf tournament," Furyk said. "Awkward for him to lose that way, and a little awkward for me to win."
Davis immediately asked for PGA Tour tournament director Slugger White and shared what he saw on the shot. White consulted with officials who checked TV replays and confirmed Davis' worst fear: His violation cost him a chance at his first PGA Tour victory.

What Davis lost on the course will be regained in his reputation for his honorable act, White said.

"That will come back to him spades, tenfold," White said.

I sure as hell hope so! :ThmbUp:

I put this story here, rather than in the Sports section, because it is bigger than the sport of golf or any sport. Although I caddied when I was a kid and play a bit, I am not a fan of golf and I suck at it.

But this is one of those rare human interest stories, where people make the right decision, regardless of whether the rule/law is idiotic. Davis did it because it was the right thing to do and it cost him $400k.

So many of our politicians, sports/ business/arts celebrities do the wrong thing. And then, when they are caught out, at best it's a mealy mouthed, disingenuous apology- and only because they were publicly shamed. The vast majority try to brazen out disreputable, disgusting or disgraceful behaviour with a shrug and a wink.

Honor ? What a strange, misplaced but desired currency today.

Good on this guy!

cj's dad
04-19-2010, 10:14 PM
of the golfer ( name?? ) who when he checked his bag after getting back to his hotel room realized that he had played a different ball and notified those in charge the next day. Golf may be the only honorable sport left in this society.

Tom
04-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Don't forget Tiger Woods, who came clean and admitted everything.....AFTER his stinking arse got caught! :lol::lol:

And what a good sport he turned out to be - even gave his wife a penalty swing! :eek::lol:

skate
04-20-2010, 01:28 AM
of the golfer ( name?? ) who when he checked his bag after getting back to his hotel room realized that he had played a different ball and notified those in charge the next day. Golf may be the only honorable sport left in this society.

Yeh, but if they play Basketball with a club, they'd be more honest too.

ezrabrooks
04-20-2010, 07:27 AM
I felt sorry for Davis...especially having to discuss the matter on National TV with a guy by the name of Slugger. Slugger? That is as bad as being named Sue.

Robert Goren
04-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Golf is pretty unique in the world of sports where everyone's motto seems to be "If you ain't cheatin',you ain't tryin'."

SchagFactorToWin
04-20-2010, 09:14 AM
He should get the Bob Jones Award from the USGA.

The greatest golfer in history, Bobby Jones, called a 2 shot penalty on himself during a tournament in 1925. When praised for it, he replied "You may as well praise a man for not robbing a bank".

jballscalls
04-20-2010, 11:42 AM
It was a good move by Davis, and luckily, typical of what most golfers would do. In golf, integrity (on the course) is very important. I played with a guy in our high school state tournament my senior year that called a penalty on himself that none of us saw, he ended up finishing 10th, without the penalty i think he would have finished 3rd. (I blew up on the backside, finished 3rd to last) LOL

johnhannibalsmith
04-20-2010, 11:52 AM
One time when nobody was looking I picked up the maroon ball and placed it in the clown's nose on the 18th hole and got a free game of putt-putt.

I'm here to confess.

tzipi
04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
That cacall on himself was a bit nuts. The rule is there so golfers won't move a rock,pine cone,etc out of the way on their backswing, so they have a clean forward swing. All he did was hit a dried out piece of reed on his backswing. That reed doesn't affect his swing like a rock,pine cone, etc would. A reed is like a piece of grass as it has no weight to it or affect a club swinging swooshing through. The judges didn't even notice or care. It was just a ridiculous call on himself. That means he should call penalties on himself if he's in the rough because he hits grass and thick weeds on his backswing.

Last week at the Masters people pointed out numerous golfers were shown hitting out of the rough and were hitting thick weeds(heavier,bigger than the reed Davis swiped)on their back swing. No one called a penalty and judges didn't say a thing. It's normal lie. I think Davis got too into something there for some reason. Even the judges went back and forth like, "uhh I don't know. Hold on. Ok we're still checking". If it was a rock,something substantial, etc they would've noticed it and wouldn't have been confused on what to call.

DJofSD
04-20-2010, 12:10 PM
His ball was in a hazard. There are very specific rules when in a hazzard (as I am learning both from this last weekend's ruling and Michele Wi's little $90,000 mistake last month).

NJ Stinks
04-20-2010, 02:48 PM
One time when nobody was looking I picked up the maroon ball and placed it in the clown's nose on the 18th hole and got a free game of putt-putt.

I'm here to confess.

Typical conservative....:rolleyes:

:lol:

Dave Schwartz
04-20-2010, 03:09 PM

I'm here to confess.

:lol: :lol:

Tee
04-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Carlton Palmer White II aka "Slugger"

I felt sorry for Davis...especially having to discuss the matter on National TV with a guy by the name of Slugger. Slugger? That is as bad as being named Sue.

rastajenk
04-20-2010, 09:11 PM
The foot wedge is one of the most important clubs in my bag. :p

I think the refs in the booth should have overruled the golfer and let it play on; especially with the benefit of the HD replay available. I don't think what happened violated the spirit or the intent of whatever rule he thought he violated. He was still way behind the eight ball and highly unlikely to win.

Space Monkey
04-20-2010, 09:19 PM
If he didn't call it and some rat (I don't like people who do this) from Anywhere USA called the PGA about it (its happened before) and they penalize him AFTER his round then he signed an incorrect scorecard and would be disqualified from the tournament. That would mean 0 prize money. I'm not saying hes not a great, honorable guy, but he took the safe route to assure himself of the second place check. Smart move on his part.

Rookies
04-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I hear what you're saying Space Monkey, but in this case I think you're incorrect. Read the transcript again. Davis saw almost nothing, just a slight motion which was described as: indiscernible but for slow motion replays.

This wasn't the Masters. I don't think anybody picks up on it.

It was ALL him .

Space Monkey
04-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Rookie, there are assholes all over this country that look for any little thing so they can call the PGA to rat the guy out. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if I'm a PGA pro and I think even for 1 second that I might be violating a rule, then I'm calling it. These guys are victims of the advanced technology we have nowadays. Davis is a struggling pro. I think he figured he was going to lose anyway, so he called it to make sure he got the second place check. I'm sure we'll never really know, but if I ever meet up with him I'd like to ask him about it.

Relwob Owner
04-20-2010, 10:12 PM
If he didn't call it and some rat (I don't like people who do this) from Anywhere USA called the PGA about it (its happened before) and they penalize him AFTER his round then he signed an incorrect scorecard and would be disqualified from the tournament. That would mean 0 prize money. I'm not saying hes not a great, honorable guy, but he took the safe route to assure himself of the second place check. Smart move on his part.

I think you are way off here.....If I am not mistaken, playoffs are a hole by hole deal and as long as he signed an accurate card after regulation, he would get second even if he hadnt reported it and gotten caught. Before the playoff, they sign the scorecards for the first 72 holes.....I believe I have seen playoffs where one of the guys just concedes and this would back it up.....Not 100 percent sure but almost positive.....if this is the case, your theory would not hold up......

Have you ever played golf? If you have, I am surprised at your skepticism here...I have played over 25 years and what Davis did is exactly what I would have done and anyone I play with as well....rules are drilled into you from the get go and it doesnt change.....

Space Monkey
04-20-2010, 10:33 PM
I think you are way off here.....If I am not mistaken, playoffs are a hole by hole deal and as long as he signed an accurate card after regulation,

Interesting, I think you're right. Shame on me for running with a theory I heard on sports talk radio :lol: They sign their cards after 72. That guarantees him second. My bad, but I wasn't questioning his character. I considered his move both honorable to the game and smart for his bank account.

I do play golf. Well, I TRY to play golf. I suck :blush: . I'm a much better bowler :ThmbUp:

chickenhead
04-20-2010, 10:43 PM
That's a very classy move, to say the least. Course I have a pretty low bar, if you don't play any range balls during the round you've got me beat.