PDA

View Full Version : Turf Scratches vs. Easy Money

Pace Cap'n
07-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Was just wondering about a situation that arose a few weeks ago during the Eastern Monsoon season.

A stakes race with a purse of $150,000 was scheduled on the turf. Naturally, it was rained out and switched to dirt. Of the usual 12-14 entries, only 3 ran the race.

Fourth place would have paid $9,000. Are trainers that serious about not running in the mud as to pass up that much money? Somebody (horse) could have trotted around the track and had a decent payday.

Or is it just a case of the trainers not knowing who all has scratched and then sitting there thinking "Dang, I wish I was still in that race"?

Does the purse structure remain intact in such a situation?

Just wondering...
Steve

Tom
07-19-2003, 02:30 PM
I thought the same thing when Slew O'Gold won a walkover years ago. Hey, I would have entered a $10,000 claimer for the purse money-must be the track gets involved and lets other trainers know that stalls might be in short suppley next meet if they go for it.

GameTheory
07-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Many times the scratches are automatic -- you enter the horse for "turf only", "either", or even "dirt only" (if you think it likely to be taken off turf). In a big stakes race that might not apply though...