PDA

View Full Version : Looks like another year without a TC winner..

only11
04-19-2010, 06:52 PM
After watching the preps...i think is safe to say there wont be a triple winner this year...
which makes me wonder will there ever be one again...good horses are breaking down too often and too quickly....

Cat Thief
04-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Look to me like there could be ...Stately Victor is a shoo in for the TC

horses4courses
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
After watching the preps...i think is safe to say there wont be a triple winner this year...
which makes me wonder will there ever be one again...good horses are breaking down too often and too quickly....

I'm not really sure what there wasn't to like about Esky's preps.....
For that matter, Sidney's Candy was very impressive, also.
I know that no horse has won the Derby off a synthetic prep,
but as John Sadler rightly says " the horse is a runner".

We all know how hard it is to win the TC.
A bad break, troubled trip, or pilot error, can put paid to the best of chances.

This may not be a bad crop of 3 year olds this year, though.

only11
04-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm not really sure what there wasn't to like about Esky's preps.....
For that matter, Sidney's Candy was very impressive, also.
I know that no horse has won the Derby off a synthetic prep,
but as John Sadler rightly says " the horse is a runner".

We all know how hard it is to win the TC.
A bad break, troubled trip, or pilot error, can put paid to the best of chances.

This may not be a bad crop of 3 year olds this year, though.
The favorite is trained by a trainer whos record stinks in the derby..huge underlay..Sidneys Candy will be overbet and will face challengers in the early stages...Bafferts horse reminds me alot of Silver Charm...
this will turn out to be a trainers race...A LA ZITO>>

SmartyLane
04-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Compared to last year up to this point there has been much less injury I would say. We still have a little less then two weeks but still.

At this point last year we had the top 3 year old in California out with injury- Mousse
The top 3 year old in Florida out with injury- Quality Road
The top 3 year old in Arkansas out with injury- Old Fashioned
The top 3 year old in New York out with injury (left Cali to go to NY)- IWR

IMO this year has been quite smooth in the injury category, minus Tiz Chrome who would not of raced in the Derby probably anyway RIP.

That being said a TC winner, who knows. We will definitely know what a few of these top runners are really about after May 1st. That is when I begin to think about a TC winner. The Derby shows us all what these horses are really about: distance capabilities, large fields, adversity, etc.

Just one guys opinion of course.

kenwoodallpromos
04-19-2010, 08:11 PM
We have horses required to have set earnings, plus race 3 times from May 1 to middle of June; I have not seen the kind of very low odds bet on favorites in the TC races that the 1970's odds reflect; more runners have the same sire or grandsire line than years ago, IMO helping equalize the quality of runners.
But the best I think we can hope for is healthy qaulifiers up to Ky Derby time.

GaryG
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
The favorite is trained by a trainer whos record stinks in the derby..huge underlay.If Esky can rate 6-7 lengths off the likely hot pace, and I think he can, he has the ability to be a dominant winner. He is an unlikely TC winner because he is trained by TP and will be an underlay???

only11
04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
If Esky can rate 6-7 lengths off the likely hot pace, and I think he can, he has the ability to be a dominant winner. He is an unlikely TC winner because he is trained by TP and will be an underlay???
Gary he will 8/5 and the trainer is o for life with derby horses..you could have him..

GaryG
04-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Gary he will 8/5 and the trainer is o for life with derby horses..you could have him..Point is this: How does being 8-5 make him an unlikely TC winner?

NTamm1215
04-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Gary he will 8/5 and the trainer is o for life with derby horses..you could have him..

You know what the great thing is about the winning trainers in the 2009,2008,2006,2005,2004,2003,2001, and 2000 Kentucky Derbies is?

They hadn't won it yet either.

NT

CincyHorseplayer
04-20-2010, 10:35 AM
We won't have any idea about this til the first Sunday in May.It's no secret these are teenage colts who can explode at any time.One big performance on Derby Day can make us all think twice.

But only being in this game since 1996,were Big Red,Seattle Slew,and Affirmed favorites to win the Triple Crown pre-derby??I know Secretariat was which is why he faced but 20 horses total in the series(which I'm surprised nobody has bashed),but what about the other 2?

Just think it's premature to have a downtrodden opinion just yet.

GaryG
04-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Just think it's premature to have a downtrodden opinion just yet.Another thing: Every year there are complaints that it was a weak crop and "he beat a bunch of allowance horses". The quality of a crop is best assessed in retrospect.

OFFandRUNNING10
04-20-2010, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=CincyHorseplayer]
But only being in this game since 1996,were Big Red,Seattle Slew,and Affirmed favorites to win the Triple Crown pre-derby??I know Secretariat was which is why he faced but 20 horses total in the series(which I'm surprised nobody has bashed)
QUOTE]

There is really nothing to bash... He beyond dominated his competition. If he would have won by a length or two then there could be some discussions. However that certainly is not the case. Not to mention the fact that his time records still stand today says enough on its own. Not only do they still stand but no one has really even come close.

And I am not saying that you think it should be bashed... just making the statement in general.

CincyHorseplayer
04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=CincyHorseplayer]
But only being in this game since 1996,were Big Red,Seattle Slew,and Affirmed favorites to win the Triple Crown pre-derby??I know Secretariat was which is why he faced but 20 horses total in the series(which I'm surprised nobody has bashed)
QUOTE]

There is really nothing to bash... He beyond dominated his competition. If he would have won by a length or two then there could be some discussions. However that certainly is not the case. Not to mention the fact that his time records still stand today says enough on its own. Not only do they still stand but no one has really even come close.

And I am not saying that you think it should be bashed... just making the statement in general.

I agree.But after hearing Sham being bashed and nearly every other runner we've seen it wouldn't be a surprise.There have been folks on here bash RA since she won the Preakness.The hatred knows no bounds at times.

Big Red,even before my time,watching video and reading books about him is my favorite horse of all time.I'm a geek though.I'll sit and look at pictures of horses for a half hour at a time.

OFFandRUNNING10
04-20-2010, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=OFFandRUNNING10]

I agree.But after hearing Sham being bashed and nearly every other runner we've seen it wouldn't be a surprise.There have been folks on here bash RA since she won the Preakness.The hatred knows no bounds at times.

Big Red,even before my time,watching video and reading books about him is my favorite horse of all time.I'm a geek though.I'll sit and look at pictures of horses for a half hour at a time.

Yea I understand... He was well before my time as well. However, was my fathers favorite horse of all time and my house was always filled with memorabilia growing up. So I also have grown to love and admire. Now today my house is filled with my own collection of memorabilia.

only11
04-20-2010, 05:40 PM
You know what the great thing is about the winning trainers in the 2009,2008,2006,2005,2004,2003,2001, and 2000 Kentucky Derbies is?

They hadn't won it yet either.

NT
Good one