PDA

View Full Version : New Daily Racing Form Logo

Stevie Belmont
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
After 116 years the DRF felt it was time to change their logo.

They have replaced the old logo with a new "modern" logo of a Thoroughbred running down the stretch.

My question is this. Why after 116 years make such a dramatic change to such an iconic symbol?

On page 8 in Saturday's Daily Racing Form—4/17/10: "New logo reflects changing times"

What do you think?

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/ThoroughbredZone/daily_racing_form.jpg
Old

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/ThoroughbredZone/masthead.jpg
New

OFFandRUNNING10
04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Hope they didnt spend to much money paying for someone to create that logo! To be honest... It probably would have gone unnoticed by me if you didnt bring it up.

InsideThePylons-MW
04-19-2010, 03:45 PM
This might be the single most important thing that will spark the upswong of the entire racing industry.

ManeMediaMogul
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
It is reminiscent of the change the Detroit Lions made in their logo...When did the Lions change their logo you ask?

The new DRF logo is a joke. Why mess with something so iconic?

Linny
04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
The old logo had done enough.. :D

PhantomOnTour
04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
So they changed their logo a little....what's the big deal? Doesn't bother me at all.

The REAL story is that MTV changed their logo! It's just a big M now without the word 'music' written on it.

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Seriously, if you blink, you don't notice the change...no big deal....

CBedo
04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
If you would have put both logos up and asked me which was the old one and which was the clue, I would have had to guess. Hope they didn't spend too much for the redesign on something that noone will notice.

46zilzal
04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
I was told, without substantiation, that the drawing in the center of the DRF logo was Phar Lap......Looked and Looked but could not find if that is so.

InsideThePylons-MW
04-19-2010, 05:01 PM
It was either a new North American tote system or the logo.

It's a great logo.

bigmack
04-19-2010, 05:02 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/4_19_10_14_01_03.png
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/4_19_10_14_01_16.png

Steve 'StatMan'
04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I saw the pics in their presentation, the photo and the coat of arms has changed several times over the years. I do think the new picture is better, but of course I can't think it will make a tangible difference in the racing world. Also always thought that goofy coat of arms, red now, white before, didn't do much other than make an effort to be old like ancient (the white one anyway). Does the words of the company, and their meaning, get expressed quickly, or does someone think this is a incorrect add for something else (Del Monte, anything to do with Louisianna, etc.) Silly stuff, I know. Coke and Pepsi worry about it more, but they move a lot more product, and deal with having a 2 to 114+ year olds as potential customer, so they're always trying to look new and glitzy, and swing that monsterous 0.5% margin of customers.

Steve 'StatMan'
04-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Maybe they better leave that big red coat of arms on the front page after all. That way the store clerks don't goof and sell a printed DRF for the price for $0.50 by mistake, and have to eat a whole week's profits from selling the things, just in hopes that someone will buy something else in the store when they buy their Form.

lamboguy
04-19-2010, 05:25 PM
after countless time and hard work they came up with a masterpiece. i am sure that is going to add to their circulation. its certainly a sign of the times.

DAT
04-19-2010, 05:35 PM
At least they added their web address. Only about 10 years late :D

JustRalph
04-19-2010, 05:37 PM
after countless time and hard work they came up with a masterpiece. i am sure that is going to add to their circulation. its certainly a sign of the times.

you know, sometimes you are kind of funny.........

maxwell
04-19-2010, 06:11 PM
The new design works for me due to the red silks and saddlecloth. The original design strikes me as being more powerful; perhaps in part because it is black and white. But the new design would look plain in black and white.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I like 'em both. :1: & :1a:

Dave Schwartz
04-19-2010, 07:02 PM
LOL - These poor guys couldn't get credit for doing something right if they gave away $100 bills with every Racing Form.

They updated their logo to something slightly more modern without completely changing it as to be a "different" logo.

Don't you think you guys are being a little tough on them?

Dave

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2010, 07:07 PM
LOL - These poor guys couldn't get credit for doing something right if they gave away $100 bills with every Racing Form.

They updated their logo to something slightly more modern without completely changing it as to be a "different" logo.

DaveTough? I read it more along the lines of indifference more than anything else.

TimesTheyRAChangin
04-19-2010, 07:13 PM
It's a plot to increase the value of all things DRF!
Everything with the old logo will now be considered ancient/rare/antique,as in collectables/memorabilia.Their warehouse full of unsold material will increase in value dramatically!!(LOL)

As an aside,I liked the versions before they started filling the logo in red!

Bruddah
04-19-2010, 07:51 PM

Dave

None of this will mean squat to the bottom line for now, or in the future. This whole artful attempt falls under the heading of 'Nero fiddling while Rome burned'.

If the management team led by their CEO doesn't think they have any problems to spend their time on, then they all need to be among the unemployed.

A change of management may be due at this publication. :faint:

onefast99
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM
This is a reason to up the newstand price another 50 cents.

kenwoodallpromos
04-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Trainer lesding the horse to the paddock? Old school!
I think the new horse looks smaller, bulkier, not as aerodynamic, and not as muscled. Maybe that is because DRF thinks it looks like Z= a 2-time HOY loser and a female! But seriously, I like the new look better!

miesque
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
None of this will mean squat to the bottom line for now, or in the future. This whole artful attempt falls under the heading of 'Nero fiddling while Rome burned'.

If the management team led by their CEO doesn't think they have any problems to spend their time on, then they all need to be among the unemployed.

A change of management may be due at this publication. :faint:

I don't think the logo needed to be changed and don't think much of the new logo, but then again my talents are certainly not in marketing or sales so I could most certainly be wrong. Considering that horseplayers have a tendency to be somewhat resistent to change, I would think if anything they have decreased whatever "Goodwill" value that DRF icon has (which may not have been that much but it does have a brand icon value).

What is possible is that the current venture capital firm that owns DRF may be looking to try and flip them. I personally am quite dubious that they can sell it for more than they paid for it, but they may feel there are better opportunities out there for their capital and that they have done what they could do.

BlueShoe
04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Hope they didn't spend too much for the redesign on something that noone will notice.
Have been hearing rumors at the otb sites that the DRF is going to raise prices again. Any of you guys hear anything about this? Great business move; raise prices when things are bad. Perhaps they will say the extra charge is to pay the artist that did the redesign.

Johnny V
04-19-2010, 10:32 PM
The new design is okay. I don't think I really would have noticed it. I am seeing less and less people walking around with the DRF at the races.

tzipi
04-19-2010, 11:42 PM
I didn't even notice they changed it. I bet 98% haven't even noticed.

Fager Fan
04-19-2010, 11:54 PM
So they changed their logo a little....what's the big deal? Doesn't bother me at all.

The REAL story is that MTV changed their logo! It's just a big M now without the word 'music' written on it.

Perhaps because they don't play music videos anymore?

turfnsport
04-20-2010, 12:44 AM
I like the logo...It's probably just me, but the new horse looks like The Green Monkey to me.

http://showhorsegallery.com/images/uploads/thegreenmonkeyphoto3.jpg

PhantomOnTour
04-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Perhaps because they don't play music videos anymore?
MTV=Empty V

LottaKash
04-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Where is "WALDO" ?....:jump:

best,

Tom
04-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Now they have another reason for price hike! :rolleyes:

What a bunch of hooey - if they had not said a word, no one would have noticed.

SMOO
04-20-2010, 08:11 AM
It was either a new North American tote system or the logo.

:lol:

macguy
04-20-2010, 12:19 PM
I prefer the old logo.

The new horse looks like a MS Paint Clip art that would come with Windows 3.1.

CBedo
04-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I prefer the old logo.

The new horse looks like a MS Paint Clip art that would come with Windows 3.1.More strategic than you might think....the average age demographic of horseplayers might still be using Win 3.1. They didn't have a Dos 3.3 version... :rolleyes:

Robert Goren
04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
I am waiting for Boxcar to take a stand on this, so I can take the other side.;)

johnhannibalsmith
04-20-2010, 02:29 PM
I am waiting for Boxcar to take a stand on this, so I can take the other side.;)

Is Boxcar aware of the horse racing forums?

JustRalph
04-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Is Boxcar aware of the horse racing forums?

oh yeah.....he used to post in HR forums........ I think he gave up gambling.

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Is Boxcar aware of the horse racing forums?You can't post in the horse racing forums if you want to have a politically motivated avatar.

Tom
04-21-2010, 07:30 AM
A good logo would to replace the horse with a pickpocket. Sort of bring the state and tracks and AWDS and horsemen into the picture.:rolleyes:

WeirdWilly
04-21-2010, 12:06 PM
A good logo would to replace the horse with a pickpocket. Sort of bring the state and tracks and AWDS and horsemen into the picture.:rolleyes:

What about:

http://edaht.com/images/My_New_DRF.gif

BlueShoe
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Even better would be a picture of Al Capone with a caption under it saying "Our Inspiration and Guiding Light".

Canarsie
04-21-2010, 01:49 PM
There's a reason for the new logo. In less than 5 years there won't be a paper edition put it in the bank. With the Ipad taking off and all the newer gadgets that will come out this is where it's going.

Hey I get Trackmaster online for harness something you can't buy it at the track or a store. I know they want it that way even if I downloaded every card it's way more profitable.

Watcher
04-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Anyone notice the DRF.com on the new logo?

BlueShoe
04-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Have been hearing rumors at the otb sites that the DRF is going to raise prices again. Any of you guys hear anything about this? Great business move; raise prices when things are bad.
Well, I can answer my own question now. In SoCal forms were $5.00 if you bought them at the track, tax included. Offtrack, they were also $5.00, but since California is a Bolshevik state, sales tax is charged. Where I buy mine, they were $5.44 with tax. Now, ontrack price has been raised to $5.75, tax included, and $5.50 plus tax of 8.75% purchased offtrack. That is a 10% price hike offtrack, and a whopping 15% raise charged ontrack buyers. While the extra 55 to 75 cents is not going to break anyone, this is rubbing me the wrong way. Did not go out the last two days, but am going Friday and will query my cronies and get their thoughts about this. Imo, this may be rather like raising the mutual takeout rate, and expect DRF sales to decline.