PDA

View Full Version : Kobe!

sq764
07-18-2003, 10:01 PM
Well, I just can't seem to figure what's going to happen with this one.. But I smell settlement.

If it actually happened, what a great time to make a statement than to sentence a pro basketball star to 20 years or so in prison..

But we all know how this will end..

JustRalph
07-18-2003, 10:18 PM
He will be sharing a cell with Tyson......Tyson is about to get rung up again. The way he is acting I give him six months.

If Kobe admits to having sex....which he already did....then that takes things into a whole different realm. Now it will be " He Said, she Said" it will be up to the jury.....could be interesting.......

sq764
07-18-2003, 10:39 PM
I love how he says "The only thing I did wrong was commit adultery and the only ones I have to answer to is my God and my wife"

Didn't know it was that easy to pull that whole adultery thing off..

Bobby
07-19-2003, 04:05 AM
I just hope that this is not one of those OJ, dream team cases. that is, i hope that if he's truly guilty, he is found guilty by the jury. For some reason, i tend to believe the CO girl. What gets me is all the people on TV and radio that say "I know Kobe. He wouldn't do this," that's a bunch of BS, there's not a one of them that truly "knows" him.

Suff
07-19-2003, 06:28 AM
who's had experience with Law enforcement? Any cops out here? any DA's out here? Any Detectives out here? Any defense lawyers out here? Any Criminals out here? Any Correctional officers out here? Any Judges out here?

Reason I ask.... anyone thats been around...and seen defenses, and seen apologies and seen remorse and seen fear....will probably agree on ONE thing.

What you saw in that Press conference is a guy that KNOWS he screwed up and KNOWS he is going to PRISON and is TERRIFIED.

You find out alot about people when the Clouds move in. This Kid went NBA too early. His missed some important "Man" developing skills. Yesterday, when he needed to be a MAN, he did'nt have the skills. He was all "Little baby boy" yesterday.

Little Baby Boy gonna meet some some Big Bad men shortly.

sq764
07-19-2003, 09:46 AM
You really think they will throw him in prison for this?

I would bet either a settlement or plea bargain, or both.

Suff
07-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by sq764
You really think they will throw him in prison for this?

I would bet either a settlement or plea bargain, or both.

Honestly Sq.........and not because he's Black or has a 100 gazillion dollars.

I smell an all out Rape here. Not a " got to 3rd base and she said no." I have a hunch and I thought I saw it him yesterday.

He's on the road, he's young, he's got a few drinks in him and a dark side emerged. And he F'd up bad. This Kid's never heard the word no. So he does'nt know what it means.

Tom
07-19-2003, 10:11 AM
How come they all "know him so well" that they know he could never do this, but they aren't suprised that he cheated on his wife?
Maybe the really DO know him well????

sq764
07-19-2003, 10:19 AM
All I have to say is that originally being from Philly and it being all over the news here, Kobe has let one person kick back and smile.. That would be Allen Iverson.

For once, he had taken backdoor to another Philly thug..

so.cal.fan
07-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Kobe used extremely poor judgement at best and at worst he did something very wrong.
However, you can hardly compare him to O.J.
O.J. sliced up his wife and an innocent young man like they were potatoes and left their bodies for HIS CHILDREN to possibly find.
I don't think any of us have heard enough evidence to make any call here, at this time in this case.
I'll wait and see the evidence.
If I had to guess.....I'll say he gets off.......due to "reasonable doubt".

sq764
07-19-2003, 01:23 PM
Reasonable Doubt being "Pay the bitch $5 mill and tell her if she doesn't drop the charges, she's dead"..

JustRalph
07-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Reasonable Doubt being "Pay the bitch $5 mill and tell her if she doesn't drop the charges, she's dead"..

Sq764

somewhere or another you are mixing civil and criminal cases. "Paying the bitch" has nothing to do with criminal charges. Criminal charges are seperate. He can go to prison and still have to pay. It would be a seperate case. O.J. was found not quilty in a criminal trial but lost in civil court. He moved to Florida because they took everything from him and were moving to take his NFL pension. Pensions are safe from judgements in Florida. That is why he became a citizen of Fla. He can keep his NFL payouts.

I guarantee they have some kind of decent case or they would have never filed this case. They have body fluids and he admits to the act, but under what circumstances. I am sure they spent the last week or so working out the background and credibility of the victim. They must think she will be credible. This trial is going to occur in Colorado and not LA. He might find his ass trying to stare into the eyes of a Colorado jury who don't give a damn about his ability to hit the 3 pointer. The rest of your quote is out and out criminal in nature. Telling her to drop the charges is not an option. The criminal case is prosecuted by the "State" from this point on. The state could force her to continue on from this point. The act of telling her she is dead if she doesn't stop is a criminal act in itself. I hope you don't really think this way and are just having some fun. It's in bad taste.......but so is a bunch of stuff we put up with on the Internet. But if you truly feel that way .......... I wonder why? Are you a Lakers fan who cannot seperate the game from the Man? Interesting either way. A million dollar thug is no different than a 59 Cent crackhead when it comes to the law. They should all be treated the same way. I think Kobe is never going to live this one down. The wife and the legal team are going to go on a full court public relations campaign and just like many wives and lawyers before, they are doing it for the money. And they have the money to put on a fiasco of a public relations campaign. It depends on how badly they want to slander the young lady. If they cannot uncover any evidence of her ducking into the bedrooms of quests at the hotel where she worked (I read he met her at the hotel and she was an employee) and that she has never been in any situation like this before, Kobe is in deep trouble. But if they can find it.......they will tell the world she is a slut. It is going to be very interesting.

Tom
07-19-2003, 02:19 PM
What do we know for sure here?

1. Kobe.....cheated on his wife at the least, he admitts it.
2. the girl...nothing for sure.

I'd say the probabilites are in her favor at this point.
Reasoable doubt? Don't need a trial to tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt, Kobe is a piece of gargage. I hope he gets crucified.

GameTheory
07-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Another basketball player, Jerry Stackhouse, was charged or arrested the other day for assault (very minor compared to the Kobe situation). He is now negotigating a private settlement with the victim in return for her dropping the charges. If they agree, now the D.A.'s got no witness. No witness, no case. D.A. says he doesn't like it, but there is nothing he can do about it....

sq764
07-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Justralph, I appreciate your optimism and faith in the legal system, but you are being quite naive if you believe people don't get paid off and/or threatened to mysteriously get amnesia..

I would assume that you feel OJ's verdict was justice at its finest?

WINMANWIN
07-19-2003, 11:03 PM
I heard on a news report today, that the girl's vagina was torn somewhat :o and clothes were torn also. I heard the girls friends
interviewed, I must have seen maybe 8 different friends the past 3 days, say that she's not an extremist, and she wouldn't
do this, If it didn't happen. Kobe looks to be in hot water. If he can avoid the slammer, 20 yrs probation aint that bad.

JustRalph
07-20-2003, 12:58 AM
Justralph, I appreciate your optimism and faith in the legal system, but you are being quite naive if you believe people don't get paid off and/or threatened to mysteriously get amnesia..
I would assume that you feel OJ's verdict was justice at its finest?

Sq, I am aware that amnesia can suddenly set in. But, if the prosecutor wants he can put the person on the stand and force them to testify. When they suddenly forget, they go to jail. Then the judge can use "the evidence available" and instruct the jury to use it as testimony of the witness. That evidence is usually the initial statement made upon complaint. It is usually very damning. But most prosecutors don't do this because it can be a public relations nightmare. This keeps many rich types from offering money and threats in the first place. Their lawyers inform them that they may be better off going to a trial where then can get at the victim in a legal setting. The physical evidence tied in with her initial statements could be very hard to defend against. The problem lies in the fact that you then cannot cross exam a witness who cannot remember anything. And you damn sure can't cross examine a written statement taken on the night of the crime. So it can actually turn out to be worse on the defendant.

On the O.J. Verdict, I can't really respond because you didn't clarify which one? There were two..........

superfecta
07-20-2003, 03:34 AM
I saw where the girl went to his room,after she clocked out from work.Twice.Then she went back to work.???Maybe thats a bad report.Unfortunately for her, it sounds like she wanted to hang with a star and things went too far.Either way I think it will come down to "he said,she said".And in those cases it usually comes down to who has the best legal team.

sq764
07-20-2003, 07:31 AM
JustRalph, my point was that although I agree there is the Civil versus Criminal side, there is a point where they intersect. If a 'victim' suddenly gets amnesia (which a threat or bribe sure could cause an onset), it gets mighty difficult to prove your case.

Suff
07-20-2003, 07:50 AM
JustRalph, my point was that although I agree there is the Civil versus Criminal side, there is a point where they intersect. If a 'victim' suddenly gets amnesia (which a threat or bribe sure could cause an onset), it gets mighty difficult to prove your case.

Here's the part that makes me think that will not happen.

People and the Enquirer would give her 10 Million Tommorrow!! for a live interview and story. She turned them down.

Maybe she's holding out for a larger PayDay....who knows..

But if you went up to a HOTEL room and got down and dirty with KObe just to make money. There is 10 milliuon on the table right now. She could take that....drop the case ,,,and go on about her business.

You think she Calculates she'd rather go through 6 months ( at least... for a trial ) of hell for another 10 million? I'm not so sure. If she was "Hustling" him. The hustle is over and the Pay Day is there. But she's not taking it. Makes me think.

sq764
07-20-2003, 07:56 AM
I really think there is a good chance this all rolls back to the sense of entitlement 'stars athletes' have..

Can you imagine the egotistical Kobe hearing 'no' from a woman? Would that be enough to send him into a fit of rage? Maybe.

Look at these rappers who get 'disrespected' by getting bumped into or shunned, then they go shoot the individual.

I think there is a serious ego problem with most of these big stars and who knows to what lengths it leads.

(Of course I do not know what happened, so this is more of a generic thought, which may or may not be relative to this case)

Tom
07-20-2003, 11:31 AM
Gee, this guy's is so famous he is on all the news progrms, has 10-20 million dollars to offer to drop the charges....what a rich dude. What again was his great contribution to society that got him all this fame and money?
D'oh!
That's right....he can throw a ball through a hoop.
:(

JustRalph
07-20-2003, 02:30 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/941569.asp?0cv=CB10

Kobe’s accuser reportedly OD’d

Story could provide boost to Bryant defense, expert says
Lakers star Kobe Bryant, with his wife Vanessa, proclaims his innocence of sexual assault charges at a press conference Friday.

NBCSPORTS.COM NEWS SERVICES

July 20 — The 19-year-old woman who has accused Kobe Bryant of sexual assault overdosed on pills two months before the alleged incident with Bryant, one of her friends told the Orange County (Calif.) Register in a story published Sunday.

THE STORY WOULD provide a powerful boost to Bryant’s defense team by calling her temperament into question, a legal analyst told the Register.

• Kobe's accuser reportedly OD'd
The 24-year-old superstar guard faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation if convicted. He was officially charged with one count of felony sexual assault Friday.
Bryant has denied the charge, saying he was guilty only of committing adultery with a 19-year-old woman who worked the front desk at the exclusive spa in Eagle, Colo., where he stayed while undergoing knee surgery.
Bryant will face a preliminary hearing Aug. 6.
The identity of the accuser is not being reported.
But one of her friends detailed an incident in which the accuser overdosed on prescription pills, according to the newspaper. “I think it was just a cry for help,” Lindsey McKinney, 18, told the Orange County Register. McKinney had been living at the accuser’s house in May, when the woman allegedly took the pills.
McKinney told the newspaper that she learned from the woman’s ex-boyfriend that she had “overdosed.” McKinney said she went to the accuser’s house and found her incoherent, the Register reported.
“I was scared. She wasn’t really talking at all,” McKinney told the newspaper. Although some of the accuser’s friends said they overdose was an accident, McKinney told the newspaper she disagrees.

“I don’t think it was accidental. I was there,” she told the newspaper. McKinney and other friends said the woman was going through a difficult time when the overdose occurred, the newspaper reported.
A legal expert told the newspaper that the overdose, if true, gives Bryant’s defense a boost.
“This is powerful evidence and the answer to the defense’s prayers,” Robert Pugsley, a criminal law professor at Southwestern University School of Law in Los Angeles, said.
”(Bryant’s attorneys are) looking for a way to demonstrate that this woman is hysterical and over-reactive,” Pugsley told the Register. “This is literally dynamite evidence, a bonanza for the defense and a landmine for prosecution.”

Suff
07-20-2003, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JustRalph
http://www.msnbc.com/news/941569.asp?0cv=CB10

Kobe’s accuser reportedly OD’d

McKinney told the newspaper that she learned from the woman’s ex-boyfriend that she had “overdosed.”

Good source. ex-boyfriend. Payoff piece. No legs.

penguinfan
07-20-2003, 03:52 PM
I think SQ tried to point this out and it was missed, she can't drop the charges for any price, she didn't file the charges, the DA filed felony charges, it has to go to trial unless he pleads guilty or plea-bargains to a lesser charge, she has nothing to do with that part anymore. She certainly has the right to file a civil suit, in which case she can be bought off to drop the charges, but not in a felony case filed by the DA. Kobe will have his day/days in court unless the DA drops the charges which is unlikely at this point. Personaly I hope this is not true, but if it is then let justice prevail.

Penguinfan

sq764
07-20-2003, 10:20 PM
My question about the OD is whether she checked into a hospital. If so, it has merit.. If not, its purely heresay and worthless.

I have plenty of ex-girlfriends that would love to see me get the chair, let alone a few years in prison..

Suff
07-20-2003, 10:25 PM
Fox news is reporting they have Records of two 911 calls from that address on the night in mention. Maybe this has meat after all.

sq764
07-20-2003, 10:29 PM
Did Geraldo report that?

WINMANWIN
07-20-2003, 11:15 PM
My question is did she take the pills due to a close friend dying
recently ?? or because she broke up with her boyfriend...
Not that it matters but, I like facts :eek:

so.cal.fan
07-21-2003, 02:30 AM
It could very well be that Kobe and his legal team are going to fight this, because they know they can win the case and pay this woman- nothing.

sq764
07-21-2003, 08:48 AM
..is that you watch Kobe sit there and admit that he had sex with the girl and his wife is holding and rubbing his hand while he is talking about it.

What the hell is wrong with these women? I guess the fast life is more important than some of life's virtues..

WINMANWIN
07-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by WINMANWIN
My question is did she take the pills due to a close friend dying
recently ?? or because she broke up with her boyfriend...
Not that it matters but, I like facts :eek:

Got the scoop on the news and supposedly the victim took pills
due to the break up with her boyfriend.......

dav4463
07-21-2003, 11:09 PM
It will be simple, Kobe is rich, Kobe is popular, Kobe is a STAR. He will get off with a slap on the wrist......nothing else; except a few lost endorsement deals. Then he will have to struggle on only an NBA salary......

Bobby
07-22-2003, 01:35 PM
the denver post reported that the accuser's physical injuries are "obvious"

sq764
07-23-2003, 03:02 PM
I keep hearing her pictures are all over the internet.. I haven't seen one (Not that I was specifically looking for them, but I thought I'd at least run across one..)

penguinfan
07-23-2003, 05:12 PM
I have one I got from another site, should I post it here or not? I mean if she really is a rape victim then it would be in bad taste to plaster her photo all over the place, you guys decide.

Penguinfan

sq764
07-23-2003, 05:28 PM
Can you send it to me privately? I do not want to impose on anyone that does not feel comfortable with that here.

Derek2U
07-23-2003, 08:20 PM
I dont know if we'll ever know but rape is disgusting. Even when huge sitautions arise the rapist has entered some very black mental terrain. But you gotta realize that young women/girls can be VERY agressive. I get these giggly teens following me when I shop at nyc bloomingdales. They can get many guys all worked-up. And at bars the 20's babes can wack a guy off when he's at the bar getting a round. (I can only observe/write about it now
post marriage.)

Bobby
07-23-2003, 08:27 PM
http://www.uselessjunk.com/accuser.html

superfecta
07-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Derek2U
. I get these giggly teens following me when I shop at nyc bloomingdales. well, quit buying your underwear in the juniors dept my friend.....:p Anyway you do have a point,it is scary how crude these younger girls can be and what they do is as chauvanistic as the men .

Tom
07-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Bobby
http://www.uselessjunk.com/accuser.html

Warning...if ANYONE uses this as their avatar, I am off this board forever! :eek:

doophus
07-24-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Tom
Warning...if ANYONE uses this as their avatar, I am off this board forever! :eek:

With the above promise and your recent anointment as a "Redneck", I'm afraid that it won't be long b-4 you see that avatar being used by one of your political nemesiseseseseseseseses! <g>

She sorta reminds me of my 1st wife except my wife didn't have that many teeth.

Tom, see you on another board!! <g>

George

VetScratch
07-25-2003, 05:46 PM
Sq764,
Can you imagine the egotistical Kobe hearing 'no' from a woman? Would that be enough to send him into a fit of rage? Maybe.
My sister said "no" to Kobe, and he didn't seem to have a problem with it..... of course, she is best known as Xena, Warrior Princess!

delayjf
07-29-2003, 05:20 PM
How many millions in endorsements does kobe stand to lose. At this point just given the accusations they maybe lost already. If he cuts a deal, he'll look like Michael Jackson who paid off the kids parents to not press charges. In the eyes of the world (and the corporations he represents), he will look guilty. The feminist groups will be calling for his corporate head. Martha Burk will go nuts, which would be good news for Augusta National.

The other question I have is when does his wife jump ship and grab as much of Kobe's money as she can before the Kobe gets sued in civil court. Half of 50 million is more than half of 10 million.

sq764
07-29-2003, 09:31 PM
But which situation would you rather be in:

1) Losing $20 million in a settlement, losing 80% of your endorsements, being humilated and ridiculed by everyone and possibly divorced by your wife, or

2) Being traded for cigarettes and being someone's bitch?

I could deal with some ridicule....

Bobby
07-30-2003, 07:28 PM
I hope that if Kobe raped the girl, they lock him up and throw away the key. Well, I take that back. I would let him play bball, once a month for an hour.