PDA

View Full Version : Los Alamitos keeps 2% raise in takeout

rwwupl
04-15-2010, 08:18 PM
The 2% temporary raise in take out was reviewed by the CHRB Thursday at the April 15 meeting. Confusion ruled the day on this issue, as Jeff Platt presented the HANA data that showed a substantial loss in handle for the period. The problem came about when the Los Al. representative had a different set of figures. Barry Meadow made some valid points, and Bon Smith of CHRB was unable to reconcile the different numbers on time because some used Equibase numbers and some used CHRIMS numbers. They can be reconciled but not today.

The CHRB had no other choice but to table the issue, allowing the 2% take increase to continue. perhaps as long as September.

owlet
04-16-2010, 02:13 AM
It won't matter for very much longer anyway. They are down to 26 races a week; a few years ago they were running 40-50. Most are six horse fields (maybe seven in a thoroughbred race) and of course what you never hear about are all the Q's that run once or twice and are so bad they "disappear"--to a slaughterhouse in Mexico. Nor does TVG cover anything like the sudden reappearance of Adan Farias after year's suspension, or the fact that no one (and I mean NO ONE) not directly connected with racing is there on a Sunday night. The track exists solely to push through enough handle on the crap they run to create a few big races a year when the big breeders show up, guys like Dee Hubbard, to say hi how are you--thanks for your 2 million and we'll see you down the road.

Worrying about a 2 percent take out increase is like Custer worrying that his men didn't have enough toothbrushes.

Robert Goren
04-16-2010, 02:21 AM
It won't matter for very much longer anyway. They are down to 26 races a week; a few years ago they were running 40-50. Most are six horse fields (maybe seven in a thoroughbred race) and of course what you never hear about are all the Q's that run once or twice and are so bad they "disappear"--to a slaughterhouse in Mexico. Nor does TVG cover anything like the sudden reappearance of Adan Farias after year's suspension, or the fact that no one (and I mean NO ONE) not directly connected with racing is there on a Sunday night. The track exists solely to push through enough handle on the crap they run to create a few big races a year when the big breeders show up, guys like Dee Hubbard, to say hi how are you--thanks for your 2 million and we'll see you down the road.

Worrying about a 2 percent take out increase is like Custer worrying that his men didn't have enough toothbrushes. All of the CA tracks are running out of time.

rrbauer
04-16-2010, 04:12 AM
Worrying about a 2 percent take out increase is like Custer worrying that his men didn't have enough toothbrushes.

Totally disagree. The takeout increase grew from a faulty premise. Ed Allred (Los Al owner) even stated as much. Now that it has had its "trial" period and failed the test, it needs to be rescinded; not allowed to continue because somebody had the wrong data. The standard for continuing the increase needs to be definite proof that the increase has accomplished its goal and not at the expense of a negative offset. Allowing the increase to continue is simply a manifestation of the California industry and CHRB's attitude towards its customers: Customers are there to be manipulated and provide money; otherwise, they have no say in the matter. I have been saying it for years, at this board, and elsewhere: Horseplayers' ONLY bargaining chip is their money and it's only when enough of us refuse to put any more of that money into the Los Al's and Turf Paradise's of this world will they either go out of business or give us a seat at the table and a voice in the future of the game.

statepierback
04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
As soon as I heard of the takeout increase I stopped playing Los Al. 2% doesn't seem like much but it is. The only say in the matter that I have is with my pocketbook and I'll use it. If I want night action I've been playing the 15% takeout superfecta's at the Meadowlands.

owlet
04-17-2010, 03:29 AM
Richard you are well intentioned but naive. These people, including the good Doctor Allred, don't give a rat's ass about gamblers, whom they regard as the janitors of the sport. They are not going to give gamblers a "seat" at the table; they--and the politicians and the trainers and the owners, the "businessmen" who run the track, the "journalists" at TVG and HRTV--are there to do one thing and one thing only: grind all the pulp from the radish until they shut it down.