PDA

View Full Version : congrats to the photo finish operator

46zilzal
04-15-2010, 02:53 PM
the recent 4th race Gulfstream photo was a work of art....Congrats

Horseplayersbet.com
04-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Are you trying to say that photos can be manipulated?

46zilzal
04-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Are you trying to say that photos can be manipulated?
Not at all but having taken years and years of photography classes and being the photo finish operator at a standard bred track now for three years running, I respect good presentations of close races as it is not always easy.

joanied
04-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Zilly...can you post the photo or provide a link to it?? I'm curious:)

46zilzal
04-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Zilly...can you post the photo or provide a link to it?? I'm curious:)
I wouldn't know where to start

46zilzal
04-15-2010, 05:44 PM
It is particularly hard to show a close finish on a contrasty day when the horse's shadows are directly behind them for as much as you change chroma and contrast, there is only so much detail you can draw from an under-exposed area.

I often have a 5 to 6 f stop difference between horses in the sun and those under the grandstand shadow and it is difficult, even with neutral density filters and the damn cloud moving in and out all day, to get it at the right exposure.

This must be why both of the photo finish cameramen are balding from pulling it out all day long on those sunny contrasty days.

bigmack
04-15-2010, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't know where to start
I saw a tree, it was a thing of beauty. I don't want to give the day I saw the tree, I think I'll start a thread about the tree but don't ask me for a picture or a description.

Oh look, there's my nurse...it's medication time.

:bang: :bang:

JustRalph
04-15-2010, 06:36 PM
I saw a tree, it was a thing of beauty. I don't want to give the day I saw the tree, I think I'll start a thread about the tree but don't ask me for a picture or a description.

Oh look, there's my nurse...it's medication time.

:bang: :bang:

That tree fell in the forest and only I heard it..........

joanied
04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
:confused: Well, Zilly...I am a bit confused...but, that's OK. You obviously can't post the photo or a link...and your explanation doesn't do much good...I assumed you had the photo or acsess to it...
not to worry...no big deal:)