PDA

View Full Version : International opportunities discussed

Grits
04-15-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/spring-racing/default.aspx?id=46234

While the Breeders’ Cup had considered travelling overseas for a meeting Avioli thought this was unlikely due to their major revenue base for wagering being in the USA and time zones would have an adverse impact on that base.

He also revealed that the policy of travelling with the meetings throughout the USA might stop to base the meeting at one course in the same manner as other major international meetings throughout the world.

And one has to wonder where this course/track might be?

If it remains on Santa Anita poly . . . . . . good luck Breeders' Cup. You all may want to keep in mind that "major revenue base for wagering" in regard to your permanent home choice as well.

Tom
04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
I see no good reason to have a permanent home.
Moving it around gives people a change to actually attend.
There is no way on earth in would ever pay money to travel any long distance to any stupid horse race. No even if Secretariat was taking on Man O' War.

Wiley
04-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Agree, I'm not for putting the BC at a permanent site, especially on the poly, always liked the idea of moving it around as it gives people in other parts of the country a chance to attend, it also can generate different handicapping angles based on a particular track, like a CD golden rail from a few years ago. If it does become permanent then they should change the name to the Santa Anita BC.

Interesting that Aviola mentions broadcasting the BC in 3D this year, I wonder if special glasses are required and if so the OTB's should be a hoot if the crowds wear them.

I do like the fact these guys were at least talking about bettors concerns and one need to co-mingle international pools, sounds like Hong Kong has a weird tax issue that's a hold up there.

gm10
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Agree, I'm not for putting the BC at a permanent site, especially on the poly, always liked the idea of moving it around as it gives people in other parts of the country a chance to attend, it also can generate different handicapping angles based on a particular track, like a CD golden rail from a few years ago. If it does become permanent then they should change the name to the Santa Anita BC.

Interesting that Aviola mentions broadcasting the BC in 3D this year, I wonder if special glasses are required and if so the OTB's should be a hoot if the crowds wear them.

I do like the fact these guys were at least talking about bettors concerns and one need to co-mingle international pools, sounds like Hong Kong has a weird tax issue that's a hold up there.

The Grand National was in 3D as well this year - pretty spectacular!

I'm against a permanent home for the BC as well. The BC gets a lot of its appeal from the fact that it is in another place every year.

And from as a business point of view ... it basically becomes a new product that they have to try and market, it's not as straightforward as they think. The competition is very very strong as well. There are already many established 1-2-3-4 day carnivals. You certainly won't get the same quality of euro's coming over for an annual California carnival.

Wiley
04-15-2010, 06:00 PM
The Grand National was in 3D as well this year - pretty spectacular!

gm, did you need special glasses to view? and a special display monitor as well? Sounds pretty cool.

gm10
04-16-2010, 05:51 AM
gm, did you need special glasses to view? and a special display monitor as well? Sounds pretty cool.

Sorry sorry I meant HD not 3D ... you need a HD TV - no glasses!!

Grits
04-16-2010, 11:10 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56486/nyra-bc-needs-belmont-rotation-of-tracks

NYRA writes to Breeders' Cup regarding rotation of host tracks.