PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Drummer "saved" & retired

FantasticDan
04-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Just noticed this story from a few weeks back on the Barbaro Bros blog:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/nicanor/archive/2010/03/29/fobs-play-role-in-retiring-stakes-winner-dashboard-drummer.aspx

Dashboard Drummer was a staple on the NYRA circuit for years and a former graded Stakes winner.. he's 9 years old and was most recently running in 3K claimers at Turf Paradise. He was still competitive at the level, but that's not surprising on back class alone..

Hopefully the outfit he retired to in AZ will provide him with a good home for the rest of his life. The war horse has earned it.

johnhannibalsmith
04-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for that Dan. I found it odd when I saw that he had been claimed by those particular connections - but now I know the rest of the story. On the positive side, he was under the care of a pretty solid human being for his stint in AZ. Good ending for a deserving hard knocker.

kenwoodallpromos
04-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Again, we can use more like her!

firstoffclaim
04-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Preferred Pals Stable won plenty of dough with this horse, yet couldn't give him a decent home. It took a rescue group to get involved

PhantomOnTour
04-14-2010, 11:55 PM
I believe that horse is by a sire named Alamocitos, who's offspring have an average winning dist of 4.5f....never seen one that low. So why the hell am I telling you this??? Because I tossed Dashboard from a bet at Pimlico on the Preakness undercard on a race going 1m16 because the breeding was atrocious for that distance.........he ran 2nd.
Guess he's been overcoming stuff his whole life huh? Glad he was saved.

thaskalos
04-15-2010, 12:33 AM
I wish that we could read more stories like these...

MickJ26
04-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Awesome story.
Maggi Moss is a true hero.

Ian Meyers
04-15-2010, 01:55 PM
I wish that we could read more stories like these...

Amen to that. I love hearing those kind of stories.

tzipi
04-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Great story. :ThmbUp:

joanied
04-15-2010, 05:05 PM
:jump: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :jump: Excellent... I love this stuff!! Maggie Moss is super...as are all the folks devoted to saving these horses.
This news made my day:)

NJ Stinks
04-16-2010, 01:42 AM
I believe that horse is by a sire named Alamocitos, who's offspring have an average winning dist of 4.5f....never seen one that low. So why the hell am I telling you this??? Because I tossed Dashboard from a bet at Pimlico on the Preakness undercard on a race going 1m16 because the breeding was atrocious for that distance.........he ran 2nd.
Guess he's been overcoming stuff his whole life huh? Glad he was saved.

I played Dashboard Drummer that day at Pimlico! Absolutely loved him - he always gave it his best!

Since I had no idea Dashboard Drummer was still running - in Arizona no less - I just went back and watched his last 4 races - all run in 2010. And all were at Turf Paradise. On January 19th he came from just about last in the stretch to win a sprint by a length. After a bad sprint race race on Feb. 17th, he was stretched out to a mile in his last two starts. He finished 3rd in both races. But Dashboard Drummer was flying late in his last race on to miss by a half a length! (FYI it was the 5th race at Turf Paradise on March 28th.)

I'm certainly not advocating the idea that Dashboard Drummer ever deserved to wind up in $3,000 claimers. But I was really glad to see that he still loved racing and was still trying his best at the end of his racing career.

That there are people who cared enough to act in his behalf after everything Dashboard Drummer gave to the sport is moving to say the least! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: