PDA

View Full Version : The next person

cees with dees
04-14-2010, 07:24 PM
That dares tell me what a great rider Ramon Dominguez is, I'm gonna punch right in the nose.
The dq in todays last was something a pure amateur would do.
There are about 9000 riders I could think of off the top of my head that with his mounts, would have the same winning percentage.
All this clown had to do was whip left handed one time when Mochachino began to bear in and he'd have been clear and home free.
Unforgiveable to make that kind of mistake.
Give me Raul Rojas any day of the week and I'll take my chances.
Pissed but will be back firing manana.
Ben

tzipi
04-14-2010, 07:37 PM
I've seen horses left up for alot worse. I didn't think that was that horibble on Ramons part because the #1 bolted out when barely being touched from what I watched on DVR slow motion and caused a ton of banging around. I want to know what Andy thought. That was just a crazy finish overall I think. I mean no doubt someone had to be taken down.

the little guy
04-14-2010, 07:40 PM
I thought it was a legit DQ because the 4 is the one that tightened things up. I guess it could have stayed but hard to argue with the takedown.

Ramon Dominguez remains a great rider. Things happen.

tzipi
04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
I thought it was a legit DQ because the 4 is the one that tightened things up. I guess it could have stayed but hard to argue with the takedown.

Thanks Andy. Agree, you really can't trash Ramons great riding just on this race. He's been putting fields to sleep all season long. I think he's a very good jock IMO.

cj
04-14-2010, 07:45 PM
He is a great rider, and I'm quite sure you won't punch me in the nose.

the little guy
04-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks Andy. Agree, you really can't trash Ramons great riding just on this race. He's been putting fields to sleep all season long. I think he's a very good jock IMO.

He was banging the 4, who had a dream trip and ran very poorly in reality, long before the horse ducked in a bit. Stuff happens.....the guy is hardly a reckless rider.

In terms of dynamics, the 1 who dueled hard the whole way, ran the best race.

tzipi
04-14-2010, 07:47 PM
He was banging the 4, who had a dream trip and ran very poorly in reality, long before the horse ducked in a bit. Stuff happens.....the guy is hardly a reckless rider.

In terms of dynamics, the 1 who dueled hard the whole way, ran the best race.

Yeah #1 did run great from start to finish. I guess looking now again he just freaked a bit I guess after her got crowded on. Will follow him next time out.

firstoffclaim
04-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Ben's post is a sour grapes post if I ever saw one,and he knows it. He extols Dominguez quite often.

JustRalph
04-14-2010, 10:01 PM
I knew he was coming down............ as soon as I saw it...........I clicked the browser window closed .........I canceled a bet on Seren Trippidy......didn't like the way he looked in the parade etc.........glad I did.........

Maverick58034
04-14-2010, 10:02 PM
My only problem with him, and I don't know if anyone shares this problem, is that whenever I'm handicapping Aqueduct and I see him on a horse, particularly one he hasn't ridden before, I stop and try to guess how much the horse will improve today. Not really a matter of "if" - more of a matter of "how much."

It makes crafting multirace tickets a bear because on the one hand you don't want to leave him out because you know how easily he could beat you, but on the other hand you might not like the horse that much and would usually use the horse as a B, C, or even an X.

It really adds another layer to an already large and complex onion.

Tom
04-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Easy call.....from the grandstand of TV.
When you are on a 1,00 lb animal running in between a few other 1,00 lb animals at 30 mph, and fractions of second to make decisions, I allow for you make a few bad calls.

Pace Cap'n
04-14-2010, 10:26 PM
A Jock's priorities:

1. Don't get killed.

2. Don't kill anyone else.

3. Now, let's see about this race...

cees with dees
04-14-2010, 10:29 PM
To accuse me of sour grapes means this person doesn't know me at all.
I have a big problem with people calling riders great. And believe me, I know Dominguez is a fine rider but from a gambling perspective, he is generally always overbet and todays dq could have been avoided with one crack of the left hand.
I also think the one was as much, if not more the cause of the crowding and he was whipping left handed to boot.
I also agree that Mochachino had much trouble taking care of a bad field after a pretty good trip. But I know in my heart that this crowding, whatever the degree of Ramon's guilt could have been very easily avoided.
Sour grapes?? I beg to differ. And I rip tickets with dignity and humility because I know how tough this game is.
It's just tough to rip a ticket when I have the winner and it's taken away because of nothing short of a riders carelessness.
On to tomorrow.
Ben

cees with dees
04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
My only problem with him, and I don't know if anyone shares this problem, is that whenever I'm handicapping Aqueduct and I see him on a horse, particularly one he hasn't ridden before, I stop and try to guess how much the horse will improve today. Not really a matter of "if" - more of a matter of "how much."

It makes crafting multirace tickets a bear because on the one hand you don't want to leave him out because you know how easily he could beat you, but on the other hand you might not like the horse that much and would usually use the horse as a B, C, or even an X.

It really adds another layer to an already large and complex onion.

Please do me one favor. Tell me one horse you think a rider change to Dominguez meant the difference between winning and losing.
I see every single race in NY and can't remember when, if ever, I said:"wow, Dominguez really made the difference here". While to the contrary, like the Asmussen piece that got easily passed in the lane at 4/5 in the 7th race, the result would have been the same with just about anyone and instead of 4/5, it would be more like 9/5.
Correct me if I'm mistaken because I am truly curious.
Ben

firstoffclaim
04-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Do a search of all your posts with the word Dominguez in them, you will see what I mean. I understand your frustration by the way.

PhantomOnTour
04-15-2010, 12:27 AM
So the bet is on then Cees? You've got this Rojas fellow and I've got Ramon right? You said you'd take this Rojas guy anyday....well how 'bout the next time they ride vs one another? Are we on? Those 9,000 other jocks you say could win just as much as Ramon if they had his mounts will never get his mounts because they can't win enough on their current mounts.

News Flash:

YOU DON'T EVEN GET TO RIDE THE HORSES RAMON RIDES UNLESS YOU CAN RIDE THE BUMS WELL AND GET SOMETHING OUT OF THEM...YOU THINK HE WALTZED HIS LIL ARSE INTO NEW YORK ONE DAY AND THEY STARTED PUTTING HIM ON FAVORITES?

Good Lord...how many consecutive riding titles has he won in NY? What jockeys have won that many titles in a row in NY? What a bum that Pincay was, he cost me a race/bet once :rolleyes:
Stop betting on every horse Ramon rides beginning tomorrow and you will have one lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng summer.

cees with dees
04-15-2010, 09:46 AM
So the bet is on then Cees? You've got this Rojas fellow and I've got Ramon right? You said you'd take this Rojas guy anyday....well how 'bout the next time they ride vs one another? Are we on? Those 9,000 other jocks you say could win just as much as Ramon if they had his mounts will never get his mounts because they can't win enough on their current mounts.

News Flash:

YOU DON'T EVEN GET TO RIDE THE HORSES RAMON RIDES UNLESS YOU CAN RIDE THE BUMS WELL AND GET SOMETHING OUT OF THEM...YOU THINK HE WALTZED HIS LIL ARSE INTO NEW YORK ONE DAY AND THEY STARTED PUTTING HIM ON FAVORITES?

Good Lord...how many consecutive riding titles has he won in NY? What jockeys have won that many titles in a row in NY? What a bum that Pincay was, he cost me a race/bet once :rolleyes:
Stop betting on every horse Ramon rides beginning tomorrow and you will have one lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng summer.

If you reread my post I said Dominguez is a fine rider. I just don't put him above alot of the other jockeys like most people do.
I also don't judge a riders ability by their win percentage.
As far as head to head goes, your proposition is silly.
But I would take David Cohen head to head with just about anyone.
Ben

the little guy
04-15-2010, 09:48 AM

And you would lose.

eastie
04-15-2010, 10:43 AM

what about the 1 hoss ? he came out and took the 6 hoss's path away and forced the 6 into the 2, who was fouled. The 1 caused it. the 4 was luggin in a little , but he really didn't come over too much. The 1 was the main culprit who caused it and should have come down. They both should have really come down.

eastie
04-15-2010, 10:47 AM
If you reread my post I said Dominguez is a fine rider. I just don't put him above alot of the other jockeys like most people do.
I also don't judge a riders ability by their win percentage.
As far as head to head goes, your proposition is silly.
Ben

all the people who had Tulip Mania yesterday would disagree. like me, and it cost me the pick 4 as RD flat outrode him, Cagey Girl, who has the heaart of a flea, and never came back at anyone in her life....ever

46zilzal
04-15-2010, 10:59 AM
This argument is a hoot akin to telling me two automobiles will reach top speed better if one journeyman driver is being one wheel over another journeyman

johnhannibalsmith
04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
This argument is a hoot akin to telling me two automobiles will reach top speed better if one journeyman driver is being one wheel over another journeyman

Horses are akin to vehicles? All experienced automobile drivers are of equal skill and safety? What am I supposed to be getting out of this analogy?

46zilzal
04-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Horses are akin to vehicles? All experienced automobile drivers are of equal skill and safety? What am I supposed to be getting out of this analogy?
the difference between the ride of one jockey is not all that different (at the top levels) from another.

If McCarron Delahoussye, Pineda, Cordero etc ride the same horse it is the HORSE underneath them that would make the difference not the passenger.

NTamm1215
04-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Please do me one favor. Tell me one horse you think a rider change to Dominguez meant the difference between winning and losing.
I see every single race in NY and can't remember when, if ever, I said:"wow, Dominguez really made the difference here". While to the contrary, like the Asmussen piece that got easily passed in the lane at 4/5 in the 7th race, the result would have been the same with just about anyone and instead of 4/5, it would be more like 9/5.
Correct me if I'm mistaken because I am truly curious.
Ben

Look up Landlash's maiden win. Look at Cagey Girl's win yesterday. Look at Can'trushperfection all of a sudden becoming a star. Look at the ride he gave Mama Brown in defeat last time out when he gave her as much chance to win as anyone could have. Take a look at Goldsville's allowance win on Gotham day. Look at his ride on Musket Man in the Carter, he helped him get as perfect a trip as a horse can possibly have. His ride on Gio Ponti last year in the Classic was flawless, his ride on Winslow Homer in the Holy Bull was flawless, his ride on Gio Ponti in last year's Kilroe Mile was perfect. Day in and day out the guy gives very good rides.

It's easy to sit back and throw stones and say "Oh, well anyone would win on his mounts." The fact of the matter is that it's untrue. For years riders in NY were getting a great deal of top shelf mounts and no one produced at the level Dominguez did.

NT

johnhannibalsmith
04-15-2010, 11:38 AM
the difference between the ride of one jockey is not all that different (at the top levels) from another.

If McCarron Delahoussye, Pineda, Cordero etc ride the same horse it is the HORSE underneath them that would make the difference not the passenger.

Yeah, I know - I was being rather rhetorical in my question as you make this point much more effectively with this post than with what seemed a weak analogy to me.

For the record, I'm probably closer to your opinion than with that of the majority. But, I think you are similarly extreme in brazenly reducing the skill/attributes of a rider to a simple singular factor as are those that believe there is a simple magic in improving a horse measurably with a change in pilots based upon percentages or notoriety.

I prefer to think that much like their partners in the sport, riders have strengths and weaknesses, even at the elite levels. Yes, at the top, the disparity in those strengths and weaknesses is narrower than at other levels, but still, even elite riders would produce varying results on a sample of horses with varying attributes based upon the pairing/meshing of human attributes and equine attributes.

Robert Goren
04-15-2010, 11:52 AM
The great thing about horse racing is that you get to put your money where your mouth is. If you think RD is over rated, bet against him. If you don't, bet on him. Good luck to both sides. JMO

46zilzal
04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
The great thing about horse racing is that you get to put your money where your mouth is. If you think RD is over rated, bet against him. If you don't, bet on him. Good luck to both sides. JMO

Since the guy is overbet all the time, whenever he is on a very marginal horse, the odds for the rest of the field go way up.

I made a bet yesterday ON HIS MOUNT that was close to my limit of uneasiness because he was worlds better than the field and he rode that one well.

cees with dees
04-15-2010, 12:59 PM
And you would lose.

Funny TLG how you'll go out on a limb and make a statement like that which is pure speculation and in no way possible to prove either way.
Yet, when you CAN take a stand on a race where there will be an outcome, you're never so bold to take a stand anything more than "I think".
What was your point here??
Ben

the little guy
04-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Funny TLG how you'll go out on a limb and make a statement like that which is pure speculation and in no way possible to prove either way.
Yet, when you CAN take a stand on a race where there will be an outcome, you're never so bold to take a stand anything more than "I think".
What was your point here??
Ben

More fabrications.

I expect we'll see yet another meltdown soon.

Greyfox
04-15-2010, 01:06 PM
When you are on a 1,00 lb animal running in between a few other 1,00 lb animals at 30 mph, and fractions of second to make decisions, I allow for you make a few bad calls.

Tom, - Those are greyhounds. :lol:

cees with dees
04-15-2010, 01:13 PM
More fabrications.

I expect we'll see yet another meltdown soon.

I asked a very simple question and here you go again trying to instigate an arguement for no reason.
What is wrong with you??

the little guy
04-15-2010, 01:57 PM
I asked a very simple question and here you go again trying to instigate an arguement for no reason.
What is wrong with you??

Nobody that is paying attention is fooled. You made it personal, as you always do, not me.

gales0678
04-15-2010, 09:21 PM
please note ramon dominguez is still 1 for 38 on the days that really count , no not the inner in feb or even sat's at spa, i'm talking about the three triple crown races and the breeders cup - those are the days fairly or unfailry that count , no one remembers if you win a gotham or an alabama you got to win on the big days if you want to be remembered as one of the greats

he maybe a fine rider , but , to date he has not shown it on the days that the folks remember , he has got to do it in the big spot when he doesn't have the best horse all the great jocks have in the past , he still has time ben we will see what happens