PDA

View Full Version : New Monitor Question

turfnsport
04-14-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm hoping somebody can answer this. I just got a new monitor for one of my old computers (Compaq Presario SR1303WM Desktop PC)..The ideal resolution is 1600X900 but I don't have this on the computer. (highest is 1024-768)

Do I need a hardware update or do I need a new graphics card, or is there an easy fix?

GameTheory
04-14-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm hoping somebody can answer this. I just got a new monitor for one of my old computers (Compaq Presario SR1303WM Desktop PC)..The ideal resolution is 1600X900 but I don't have this on the computer. (highest is 1024-768)

Do I need a hardware update or do I need a new graphics card, or is there an easy fix?It sounds like you are saying the max res of your current card is too low, but make sure you've installed the correct monitor drivers, if any so it will recognize the new monitor properly. If the max is in fact too low, but maybe your old computer won't even be able to drive such a card. What kind of slot does the card go into and is your computer too old to even find a card to fit into that slot (that will do what you want)? If it is too old, time to get a new machine to go with your fancy new monitor...

wilderness
04-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Monitor capability is also limited by the computers graphics card.

Some off-the-shelf computers don't even have graphics cards, rather they have graphics chips built into the motherboard.

In the latter instance this drastically restricts evolving monitor technology, while in other instances an added stand-alone graphics card may be added that will over-ride the built-in graphics (however requires and open ISA or other type slot for the graphics card, as mentioned previously).

There's not any rule of thumb from off-the-shelf- mfg's and your simply required to consult your computers specs sheet.

Houndog
04-14-2010, 04:56 PM
I think that particular model came out around 2005. From what I have researched it had integrated graphics. It seems it has an AGP slot to upgrade from integrated to a dedicated graphics card. Most of the new video cards are of the PCI-E variety.

To get the resolution you want out of your monitor I would opt for a new computer with a dedicated graphics card.

turfnsport
04-14-2010, 05:11 PM
thanks guys...It did not really dawn on me how old that computer was....2005 sounds about right..I bought the new monitor because my mother in law's broke and thought I would give her one of my old ones and upgrade (brownie points!)...I think I'll just buy a new desktop to go with this new shiny monitor now.

JustRalph
04-14-2010, 05:16 PM
assuming you have the right video card driver loaded

it is offering the best that card will do.........