PDA

View Full Version : LOU PENA

lamboguy
04-13-2010, 09:47 PM
i am no harness expert, i never heard of this guy until this year, boy does he win races, every night he wins 3 at meadowlands, 3 at pocono, and 3 at yonkers. a friend of mine told me he is also at freehold, but i have not been paying attention to that place and have no idea if he wins there too, my guess is that he does. he has been doing this consistantly, so i guess he will become a millionaire soon training harness horses.

pandy
04-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't know much about Lou Pena, but I know he used to train and drive at Cal Expo on west coast. He had a huge year at several tracks in 2009 and is continuing this year. I noticed when he first gets a horse he often makes several equipment changes.

DeanT
04-13-2010, 11:09 PM
0.240 utrs shooter at Cal-Ex. 0.430 in the east.

jimnancy
04-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey Guys I believe Lou is stepping in for Ross Crogan while he sits out his 6 month suspention. Nice stable to have your name tied in with. We will see how things go for Lou after Ross gets back.

Jim

LottaKash
04-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Hey Guys I believe Lou is stepping in for Ross Crogan while he sits out his 6 month suspention. Nice stable to have your name tied in with. We will see how things go for Lou after Ross gets back.

Jim

Jim, do you know what the infraction for the suspension was ?.....I was wondering what happend to RC so far this season....

Lou Pena, sure is making quite a splash this season, at the Big_M, and other venues, it seems...I wonder about him, and his sudden success', tho....

best,

jimnancy
04-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Lk for the life of me I can't remember the infraction. That body part just dosn't work like it use to. Hang on I have a few other parts that dont work like they use to. Any way what I remember was he had a positive test a few years ago and he finally ran out of appeals. Not sure what medication it was. I think 6 months was the sentance. Some years ago Roos drove and trained at Cal Expo and I think Lou use to work for him. For Lou to be making 5% of east coast money he is probably doing better than the 100% on some he owned at Cal Expo.

LottaKash
04-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Lk for the life of me I can't remember the infraction. That body part just dosn't work like it use to. Hang on I have a few other parts that dont work like they use to. Any way what I remember was he had a positive test a few years ago and he finally ran out of appeals. Not sure what medication it was. I think 6 months was the sentance. Some years ago Roos drove and trained at Cal Expo and I think Lou use to work for him. For Lou to be making 5% of east coast money he is probably doing better than the 100% on some he owned at Cal Expo.

Jim, if it was the one that I was thinking of, it was a few years ago....Finally caught up with him....A shame, I think, I think much of his training talents, he sure had some good ones along the way, and he knows how to get them ready, and at keeping them fast and fit...

I remember, Pena, training and driving at CalX, he was ok, I think.....I gave up that track a couple of years ago, tho....Too much "baloney" and unexplained outcomes for me....Ed Hensley got out of there, and it is too bad that he isn't accepted too well in too many places, as he is one hell of a trainer and driver....He is stabled presently at Frasier Downs in Vancouver....He is tops there, especially with his own stock, bit he can catch drive with the best of them as well....Hensley, was doing quite well at the Meadows up until recently, and I wonder why he left there ?....

best,

Ray2000
04-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Croghan's suspension

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/12-18-09/southwind-tempo-not-eligible-o-brien-award.html

and he still got another 300 dollar fine at Freehold

http://horsemen.ustrotting.com/pdf/rulings/rulings-20100402.pdf

I mean no dis-respect to Mr Croghan, he's a good trainer that tells it like it is.

jimnancy
04-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Jim, if it was the one that I was thinking of, it was a few years ago....Finally caught up with him....A shame, I think, I think much of his training talents, he sure had some good ones along the way, and he knows how to get them ready, and at keeping them fast and fit...

I remember, Pena, training and driving at CalX, he was ok, I think.....I gave up that track a couple of years ago, tho....Too much "baloney" and unexplained outcomes for me....Ed Hensley got out of there, and it is too bad that he isn't accepted too well in too many places, as he is one hell of a trainer and driver....He is stabled presently at Frasier Downs in Vancouver....He is tops there, especially with his own stock, bit he can catch drive with the best of them as well....Hensley, was doing quite well at the Meadows up until recently, and I wonder why he left there ?....

best,

LK, I live 10 miles from Cal Expo and it's sad to see what it has turned into. My intrest in harness racing was born at that track back in the 70s. Loyd Arnold was the promoter then he use to to do anything to get people in the door. He had a promotion where he gave away a new Cadillac every Saturday night. They would turn down the track light's and spotlight the horses in the feature race of the week. I here you guys talk about how it was on the east coast back then and this was as close at we got to that kind of excitment. Now they don't race for enough money for the horseman to pay the bills and that always leads to strange results.
I thought Hensley would do better back east also. It can be a huge change for guys that have raced at the mile track out here, no shipping from track to track, no 1/2 mile or 5/8 mile tracks. That being said, he was holding his own at the Meadows so not sure why he would leave for the left coast of Canada.

TimesTheyRAChangin
04-14-2010, 11:29 AM
I thought I read somewhere that Pena was Sears brother/father-in-law,and so he had that connection to help get Brian to drive many of his west coast horses when he first got to the Big M?

markgoldie
04-14-2010, 01:09 PM

best,
Hensley was unfairly thrown out of The Meadows for a positive test or tests on a substance (the name of which escapes me) which has subsequently shown up in the post-race urine of a number of trainers, none of whom are or have ever been suspected of "juicing." The prevailing theory now is that the substance is part of the feed that the animals are getting. Consequently, The Meadows has not suspended any other trainers pending an on-going investigation of the source of the substance. The fact that Hensley was the first of such positives led to his expulsion. Those crusaders who think there are no injustices in their zeal to "clean up" the sport vis-a-vis cheaters should use this example that the "guilty-until-proven-innocent" mindset can uproot and badly damage not on the reputations of legitimate trainers, but their livelihood as well. Will Hensley ever receive an apology for the actions of Meadows management? No. You may rest assured of that. Will he ever receive compensation for the financial damge? No, once again.

Pena, on the other hand, is performing feats of improvement of horses which simply are not possible by varying training procedures. Nor are they possible by changing some equipment. Does this mean that he should be suspended or barred on the basis of suspicion? No. This is a country based on law and proof. If he is found guilty of cheating at some point, he will certainly get the punishment he deserves. My personal belief is that he is chemically enhancing his animals in some way. But this means ABSOLUTELY ZERO until such time as it is proven. And the lesson of Hensley points out that this proof must be VERY, VERY solid.

mirror Image
04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
You mean it's not that he's using superior
hay,oats and water :D :D

wilderness
04-14-2010, 05:18 PM
The following from the NJRC Rulings:

Date: February 01, 2010
Ruling Number: 10TRH4
Name: CROGHAN, ROSS (Trainer)
DOB: 19530703
RCID: 15678

The New Jersey Racing Commission has received a request from Ross Croghan for a stay of the enforcement of the penalties imposed by ruling 09TRH59 (dated 12/1/09) which include a 180-day suspension and $2,500 fine. The Executive Director, having reviewed the stay request and for the reasons particularly set forth in a letter (dated 2/1/10) sent to counsel for Mr. Croghan, hereby denies the stay request. The Executive Director finds that the granting of a stay would be adverse to the best interests of racing, as well as inimical to the integrity of the sport. See: N.J.A.C. 13:71-3.8(b). Related rulings: 09TRH59 dated 12/1/09, 07MDH80, 07MDH79 dated 6/26/07; ; 07TRH42 dated 7/25/07; 07TRH37 dated 7/16/07; 07TRH38 dated 7/17/07; 07TRH39 dated 7/23/07; and 07TRH31 dated 7/10/07 BY ORDER OF THE NEW JERSEY RACING COMMISSION Frank Zanzuccki, Executive Director
end of quote

Late last year there were some Press releases announcing that Pena would be filling in for Crogan, however I was unable to locate the pages.

wilderness
04-14-2010, 05:25 PM
from same NJRC site:

Date: December 01, 2009
Ruling Number: 09TRH59
Name: CROGHAN, ROSS (Trainer)
DOB: 19530703
RCID: 15678

By ruling 07MDH80 (dated 6/26/07) the Board of Judges at the Meadowlands Racetrack found trainer Ross Croghan in violation of N.J.A.C. 13:71-23.3, 13:71-23.6 and 13:71-23.7, as it was determined that following the 11th race on June 6, 2007, the horse "CAMMABIS" exceeded the TCO2 levels set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:71-23.3A(a). By ruling 07MDH79 (dated 6/26/07), the Board of Judges suspended Mr. Croghan's license for a period of 180 days, issued a $2,500 fine and placed the horse "CAMMABIS" under a six-month pre-race guarded quarantine in accordance with N.J.A.C. 13:71-23.3B. Mr. Croghan appealed the Judges' decision and the matter was transmitted to the Office of Administrative Law as a contested case. Mr. Croghan requested a stay of the 180-day suspension and fine which was denied by the Executive Director for the reasons stated in his July 14, 2007 letter. By Order dated July 20, 2007, the Supreme Court granted a temporary stay and remanded the matter to the Superior Court, Appellate Division. On July 24, 2007, the Superior Court, Appellate Division of New Jersey granted a stay, pending the proceeding before the Office of Administrative Law. On November 18, 2009, the New Jersey Racing Commission determined to adopt the Initial Decision (dated 9/14/09) of Administrative Law Judge Candido which ordered that the Racing Commission's Motion for Summary Decision be granted and that Ross Croghan's license be suspended for a period of six months and that he be fined $2,500. Therefore, Ross Croghan will be fined $2,500 and the 180-day suspension will be served on April 1, 2010 through and including September 27, 2010. During the term of this suspension, Mr. Croghan is denied access to all grounds under the jurisdiction of the Racing Commission for any and all purposes. Payment of the fine is due on or before April 1, 2010. The Executive Director hereby orders that the purse monies for the 11th race on June 6, 2007 be held in escrow until further notice. Related rulings:

InsideThePylons-MW
04-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Late last year there were some Press releases announcing that Pena would be filling in for Crogan, however I was unable to locate the pages.

Pena definitely does not have Croghan's horses or owners.

Trotman
04-14-2010, 11:12 PM
A fellow told me a story about Mark Harder when he came down from the left coast of Canada. He apparently had a landscaping business in Vancouver and was quite successful at it while he also trained at Fraser Downs. His success was from whatever he was adding to the plants and trees to make them grow so fast. When he decided to hit the big time at the Big M he sold the business and the new owner lost all the clients because nothing was growing for him and lost his shirt. But is it not funny upon his arrival at the Big M he was winning everything.

LottaKash
04-15-2010, 02:02 AM
. But is it not funny upon his arrival at the Big M he was winning everything.

Trotman, I remember when he came to town, and he was winning everything....These days tho, he is still enjoying success, just not near as much....Do you suppose he ran out of "fertilizer" ?....:D

best,

Trotman
04-15-2010, 07:20 AM
LottaKash back in the day as you and I remember what the trainers and boys on the backstretch use to use and do
to enhance or darken a horses form is pale in comparison to
what the boys from down under would use and do. All of these trainers when they arrived on the scene it didn't take
long until the we're referred as Super Trainers. There was a
book written by a vet from down under just prior to their arrival which basically was how to cheat with chemicals and see if they would test. These trainers all have the book and it's not a small book and it's around $125.00 but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. But it showed how behind the times North America was in testing and I think they still are IMO.

Tempogain
04-17-2010, 11:44 PM
If he is found guilty of cheating at some point, he will certainly get the punishment he deserves.

I'm not going to be holding my breath on this one