PDA

View Full Version : tonite's Frontline on PBS (HRC bill passage)

ElKabong
04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
at home sick today, was listening to Kris Boyd's 'Think' on the local NPR...Guest for today's first hour is Michael Kirk, a producer of Frontline. Very interesting hour of radio, Kirk details that big pharma had more say so in this bill than any senator or congress critter. He was harsh on 0bama for letting it get to this point (just to pass SOMETHING) but defended him on other issues.

You have to watch tonite's Frontline. As always, have to watch it with an open mind & be aware of slants, but chew on the facts......When he mentioned Billy Tauzin was pulling the strings, that told me what i needed to know about this bill.....Lobbyists rule the day now, as they did in the previous admin.

So much for Change, eh?

The Tea Party movement makes more sense as every day goes by.

46zilzal
04-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Frontline is one of the most objective reporting mechanisms on the air.

PhantomOnTour
04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Frontline is one of the most objective reporting mechanisms on the air.
Yep, and I love Independent Lens as well.

46zilzal
04-13-2010, 02:16 PM
We get a show called The Passionate Eye which shows documentaries from directors around the world who view their perspective on things in North America...enlightening to say the least as it shows points of view we might never consider through tunnel vision.

ArlJim78
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
when I spent a lot of time in Canada, I did enjoy the Passionate Eye program. good stuff.

Rookies
04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=
So much for Change, eh?

The Tea Party movement makes more sense as every day goes by.[/QUOTE]

Right. And THEY are going to hold the payola paid feet to the fire ?:lol: When the Supreme Court, with its con overide, agreed to open season on payoffs from corporations, all those f*ing politician$ slept easier.

Just like the ones we have here in Canada. See:http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=2876352
"In 75 days, another 75 MPs will join that most exclusive of retirement clubs by qualifying for the safest pension on the planet. The surviving members of the MP class of 2004 will have reached six years of elected service on June 24 and thus qualify for a minimum $27,000 parliamentary pension at age 55 that will, in some cases, hit six figures by the time they are unelected."

Oh, it was the old charge of the light brigade when they were in opposition and BEFORE the Cons got power. Now that they've got Pen$ion Religion, mums the word... EVERYBODY's in the trough and it takes a remarkable person now to swim upstream. Boxcar and his wife may never get to vote again, if they're going to look for only true believers that aren't in the tank with payoffs.

ElKabong
04-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Rookies,

A polite answer to your post is "I am not concerned on how things are done in Canada".

A more direct reply, and one that I usually give in a face to face manner is "I don't give a shit about how Canada is run. If I wanted to move to Canada, I would. But the place holds no interest for me. Thyey can run that piece of little league dogshit any way they please. In short, I just don't care".

Just like I'm not interested in how things are run in Thailand or Mozambique, or any other country that is insignificant.

Have a nice day.

PhantomOnTour
04-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Rookies,

A polite answer to your post is "I am not concerned on how things are done in Canada".

A more direct reply, and one that I usually give in a face to face manner is "I don't give a shit about how Canada is run. If I wanted to move to Canada, I would. But the place holds no interest for me. Thyey can run that piece of little league dogshit any way they please. In short, I just don't care".

Just like I'm not interested in how things are run in Thailand or Mozambique, or any other country that is insignificant.

Have a nice day.
Whoa there caballo horsie!

ElKabong
04-13-2010, 02:40 PM
PHantom,

Well.....

Seriously, does anyone where you are care about canada politics? Do you jump on canadian based forums and post about their system? Policies?

Kinda doubt it.

Rookies
04-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Rookies,

Have a nice day.

Good of you to duck the question.

It has nothing to be with an individual country. It has everything to do with democracy today, El Whacknut.

ElKabong
04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Isn't there a forum for Edmonton water waste programs you can post on? Late garbage pick ups in Saskatoon? Over payment on some curling rink's electrical systems? Something that you would have a direct interest in?

Or are you one of those that stick your nose in where it doesn't belong & have to have an opinion on everything, everywhere? I've dated women like that.

PhantomOnTour
04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
PHantom,

Well.....

Seriously, does anyone where you are care about canada politics? Do you jump on canadian based forums and post about their system? Policies?

Kinda doubt it.
Kabong, I left that comment because I thought you could have made your point without cursing and being quite so nasty....as if to say "chill out"... that's all. You did call Canada 'little league dog sh$t.'

ElKabong
04-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Kabong, I left that comment because I thought you could have made your point without cursing and being quite so nasty....as if to say "chill out"... that's all.

P.O.T,

I'm being direct and straightforward, not "nasty". My honest opinion of canada politics is what i posted. No sugar coating, just being honest.

And, I bet you don't jump on canada based forums, posting on their policies and system. Correct me if you do :)

ddog
04-13-2010, 03:23 PM
The last several Frontlines I have seen gives a bland package of b.s that conforms to TPTB- they need funding to stay on the air and to produce their "reports".

They are bought and sold and are an outlet , a kind of relief valve.

NPR and the like are nothing more than a U.S. version of Goebbels propaganda.

The stench from what they call financial reporting is especially strong.

The propaganda is truly laughable and/or they just don't know what they are talking about.

tragic.

PhantomOnTour
04-13-2010, 03:24 PM
P.O.T,

I'm being direct and straightforward, not "nasty". My honest opinion of canada politics is what i posted. No sugar coating, just being honest.

And, I bet you don't jump on canada based forums, posting on their policies and system. Correct me if you do :)
Sorry Kabong, but calling Canada 'little league dog sh*t' is both direct and nasty....you can't see that?
Guess you really hooked 'em there Horn :ThmbUp:

ElKabong
04-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Sometimes you have to tell it like it is. That guy seems to have an opinion on things that he can't vote on, has no say-so in, has no affect on him whatsoever. Even ice fishing would seem to be a more productive effort on his behalf.

At some point even he has to recognize his opinion (on US policy regarding its citizens) really doesn't matter. If that has to happen via a direct and honest response then so be it.

newtothegame
04-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I agree with Bong here......
And this may not exactly be directly related to 46 or rookies ( as I truly do enjoy the back and forth with them).
But for too long now, the U.S has worried about what other countries and their leaders think. We need to be more concerned with our own. Obama needs to get off of his world tour bashing the U.S and understand he is the president of the U.S. Not cuba....venezuela...chine...or any country in the middle east.
So, before you start telling us how to run this country...maybe people should worry about their own???

PhantomOnTour
04-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow, some people refer to me as POT and you refer to him as Bong...I guess we go together! :lol:

I agree that foreigners shouldn't tell us how to run our country, and I see that Bong had had enough of that garbage, but I didn't think the insult against Canada itself was cool. Hey, what country would you rather share a 3,000 mile border with? They ain't so bad.

NJ Stinks
04-13-2010, 05:31 PM
So much for Change, eh?

The Tea Party movement makes more sense as every day goes by.

Did Republicans/conservatives even try to reform healthcare? Not only did Obama try, he succeeded! That is CHANGE I can believe in.

As for the Tea Party making more sense everyday, it does if you never wanted to do anything significant about reforming healthcare.

Having said the above, I'll try to catch Frontline tonight. :ThmbUp:

Jay Trotter
04-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Dear Mr. Kabong,

Where does one begin...

Your response to Rookies seems to insinuate that because he is "not American" that he has no business posting comments of a political nature on this forum! That's funny because I thought this was a Horse Racing forum that just happened to have an Off Topics area. I believe Rookies, like myself, comes here mainly because of our love for "the game"!

I would think, the fact that some of us are reasonably well read (or not) and wish to comment from time to time on topics raised in the forum, would be celebrated by persons such as yourself, based on your core value of "freedom of expression"! Why would you belittle someone simply because they aren't American? That seems rather un-American to me! It shouldn't matter what country one comes from.

In fact, if there is one country in the world that most closely emulates the characteristics of the U.S.A. it would likely be Canada. We share many more commonalities than we do differences. The main virtue our nations share is the acceptance of "differences of opinion" and the ability to debate without fear of violence or retribution.

The world of sport and entertainment is one especially shared by our two nations -- whether it be the NBA, NHL, MLB, PGA or thoroughbred racing -- our cultures overlap and we celebrate together. Heck, where do you think Northern Dancer hails from?

For you to call Canada a "piece of little league dog shit" shames you and all the good people of this wonderful forum. I believe you need to stand up and apologize to Rookies and to all the good citizens of Canada. We are decent people with respected standing in the world. I would hope you are capable of recognizing this.

Sincerely,

Trotter

ElKabong
04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Did Republicans/conservatives even try to reform healthcare? Not only did Obama try, he succeeded! That is CHANGE I can believe in.

As for the Tea Party making more sense everyday, it does if you never wanted to do anything significant about reforming healthcare.

Having said the above, I'll try to catch Frontline tonight. :ThmbUp:

As I understand it, a repub leader in the house or senate sent 0bama a note/ message/ email detailing 3 things that could reduce costs of health care. The note went unanswered.

Others here might have clearer details, but tort reform, insurance co's able to serve across all state lines and another suggestion were the 3 things listed to explore.

To be perfectly honest, health care "reform" is so far down the list of things I wanted DC to tackle. #1 thru #10 was the economy & get the unemployed back to work. Lots of things came before health care to me (which apparently this bill does little to alleviate any problems).

NJ Stinks
04-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Trotter, you and Rookies have to understand that Elkapong does not even want to hear from New Jerseyans let alone Canadians! :lol:

Jay Trotter
04-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Fair enough NJ.....but he owes us an apology! There should be no place on a class site like PaceAdvantage for such a demeaning comment!

Trotter:ThmbUp:

Trotter, you and Rookies have to understand that Elkapong does not even want to hear from New Jerseyans let alone Canadians! :lol:

ElKabong
04-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Trotter,

To me, canadian politics ranks as little league dogshit. I have better things to do with my time than to spend time on topics that I cannot affect change, vote on, nor care about.

If I were canadian, I'd look at things like health care reform in the US in the same manner. As mentioned before, many women like to poke their noses in things that aren't their business, doesn't affect them, and have no vote on. When I see a canadian post about policy here, about our system, I'll also post my opinion. It means zip, nada zilch....You have no skin in the game, so don't tell me about how it's doine up there. We honestly don't give a shit.

I'm not stating rookies can't post freely (like you girls did with Ann Coulter), that's not my place to do so. However, I am free to make my opinion known. I don't care how you run policy in canada. I don't care what you think of our hrc doings. I'd think you'd be busy enough up there.

ElKabong
04-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow, some people refer to me as POT and you refer to him as Bong...I guess we go together! :lol:

I laughed :)

NJ Stinks
04-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Right. And THEY are going to hold the payola paid feet to the fire ?:lol: When the Supreme Court, with its con overide, agreed to open season on payoffs from corporations, all those f*ing politician$ slept easier.

Fair enough NJ.....but he owes us an apology! There should be no place on a class site like PaceAdvantage for such a demeaning comment!

Trotter:ThmbUp:

While I can understand why you guys would be upset, you must agree that Rookies took a pretty hard shot at conservatives in his post. Certainly, Rookies knew that conservatives here wouldn't take it lightly.

I sincerely doubt anyone will apologize to anybody in this case. But I do think it's worth remembering that both sides were slighted - not just one.

At any rate, you guys (Canadians) know I really enjoy reading your points of view. No doubt because it's a lot like my point of view!. :cool: But seriously, you guys add a lot here - no matter what the point of view IMO.