PDA

View Full Version : Question about Del Mar Trackside Tables

Force of One
04-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Planning a family trip - 4 adults - and we are going to Del Mar for opening day. They are doing their random drawing for tables at their restaurants (Clubhouse Terrace, Stretch Run Grill and Cafe del Sol). From what I can gather it is $125/table for the four of us (assuming we get picked). But as I am not real familiar with the layout or what to expect with these seats, was looking for a little feedback.

A couple questions:
1) Is the view worth it or stick with normal seats (not opposed to eating there but not make or break for the experience)
2) Different/more strict dress code then the rest of the track?
3) Is it really handicapping friendly or more fine-dining?
4) Will I need to hit the Pick 6 to pay for the tab?

My understanding was that normal reserved seat might run about $20/person so it would only be about $45 more + eating. just trying to figure if it is worth it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

DJofSD
04-13-2010, 01:12 PM
(1) Like everything else, it depends. Closer to the finish line the better you'd like it. Being closer to ground level than, say, the club house third level, you might not like the view being blocked by the tote board as they run down the back stretch.

(2) I would guess the expectations are business casual. Turf club is another thing altogether.

(3) More dinning and ambiance. But, if you can handicap with the surrounding hub-bub during what is considered the social event of the summer, more power to you.

(4) Not knowlegable about the costs but everything is more expensive, just because, including the adult beverages. Expect to pay up. Need to hit a P6? Likely not but maybe a P3.

Dan H
04-13-2010, 09:45 PM
seatingmap.gif

I have attended the races at Del Mar and sat in the Stretch Run Grill. If you can see the drawing I enclosed, the SR Grill is just above the concrete apron and elevated to see over the folks down below. The SR Grill is open air, and the first two hours of my visit were a little uncomfortable in the August sun. Eventually, the sun ducks behind the grandstand and it gets better. Our table seated four and at the time (not opening day), the terms of the table were that we had to spend xxxx dollars on food. We still had to pay to get into the grandstand.

From the SR grill, you are about 30 yards from dipping your toes into the waxy polytrack surface. You are about 30 yards from the nearest betting window or betting machine (equal number of each is my recollection). You are about 60 yards from the paddock which is usually crowded on opening day. The gift shop is on the grandstand side, near the paddock.

Our table at the SR Grill had attendants to take food and drink orders. You must get up to make your own bets. Four racing forms spread out would cover the whole table surface and its tablecloth. I recall not being able to eat and handicap at the same time because there's not enough room, so plan accordingly.

I think the table is the best bet at DelMar if your sharing company with a non-betting spouse or guest and you want to make the day memorable. Since the SR grill is on the grandstand side, the dress code can range from tank tops, shorts and flippy flops to khaki pants, hawaiin shirts and moccassins. My advice is to dress to the same level as your dates. Your dates might want to amp it up a bit because opening day at Del Mar is billed as fashionable with alot of emphais on fancy and creative hats.

If you miss out on the table and default to seating, imaging the rigors of sitting at a baseball game, in the same style of seat, trying to mark up your DRF with to tabletop and frequent get-ups to let folks pass.

While you will still be able to gamble, the lines will be like any other opening day at the track. You may use betting slips that you can fill out in advance and there are machines that are for betting slips only. This is a time-saver on those busy days since the tellers will be busy with 10 cent supers and "I like the gray horse" bettors. Betting slip only lines are rarely three deep and the eperienced punter is usually in and out.

I cannot speak to any of the other reserved seating areas you mentioned. Have fun.