PDA

View Full Version : Should Devil May Care Run in the Derby ?

point given
04-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I was impressed with her efforts and think she'd have a shot in the Derby as there are alot of speed horses entered. Me thinks that if any other trainer had her she might have been considered, but Pletcher has Esky and a bunch of others so he will go for the slam of trying for the Oaks / Derby double.

NTamm1215
04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I was impressed with her efforts and think she'd have a shot in the Derby as there are alot of speed horses entered. Me thinks that if any other trainer had her she might have been considered, but Pletcher has Esky and a bunch of others so he will go for the slam of trying for the Oaks / Derby double.

Why risk a lightly-raced 3YO filly like her when you have huge prizes ahead that would make her value skyrocket?

If she were to win the Oaks then either the Mother Goose or CCA Oaks or Alabama then be in position to challenge in the Distaff with the big gals likely facing males then she'd have a huge year and be in position for an Eclipse.

NT

point given
04-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Why risk a lightly-raced 3YO filly like her when you have huge prizes ahead that would make her value skyrocket?

If she were to win the Oaks then either the Mother Goose or CCA Oaks or Alabama then be in position to challenge in the Distaff with the big gals likely facing males then she'd have a huge year and be in position for an Eclipse.

NT

Why ? Because I think she fits well with this years light crop of 3yos. In fact Pletcher was mentioning her for it before Esky blossomed . I just saw some workout times from Palm Meadows where she is stabled and it made me wonder . Why run any filly vs the boys then in the Derby ? Winning Colors ? I just think she fits this year .

statik27
04-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Why ? Because I think she fits well with this years light crop of 3yos. In fact Pletcher was mentioning her for it before Esky blossomed . I just saw some workout times from Palm Meadows where she is stabled and it made me wonder . Why run any filly vs the boys then in the Derby ? Winning Colors ? I just think she fits this year .

This filly's done Zero to make one think she would do well in the derby.

point given
04-13-2010, 02:31 PM

If I recall correctly, she sat and pounced in her last race passing the tiring speed. Don't recall her speed number though. Why do I recall Pletcher mentioning it as well ? In a front loaded field she might just sit a good trip ? :eek:

statik27
04-13-2010, 02:42 PM
If I recall correctly, she sat and pounced in her last race passing the tiring speed. Don't recall her speed number though. Why do I recall Pletcher mentioning it as well ? In a front loaded field she might just sit a good trip ? :eek:

I still don't get how this makes her a derby horse. Fillies that run in the derby are usually completely dominate over their own sex and Devil May Care is hardly that at this point.

WinterTriangle
04-13-2010, 02:43 PM

La Troienne in the pedigree....no surprise whatsover that she won her maiden and then G1 Frizette in the 2nd race of her life.:D

(see my other topic on La Troienne, and how if you wager them in their maiden and 2nd races they always win).

can't discount this one for anything. She's already won a G1 and a G2 and she's only raced 5 times. :D

I do agree she's not *ready* for the derby

point given
04-13-2010, 03:48 PM
La Troienne in the pedigree....no surprise whatsover that she won her maiden and then G1 Frizette in the 2nd race of her life.:D

(see my other topic on La Troienne, and how if you wager them in their maiden and 2nd races they always win).

can't discount this one for anything. She's already won a G1 and a G2 and she's only raced 5 times. :D

I do agree she's not *ready* for the derby

I'd say that if Pletcher didn't have Esky as the probable odds on favorite entered for the Derby, he'd contemplate starting her as he mentioned before Eskys FOY .She's one of the best in his barn Here's how she's doing;

"While the three Pletcher-trained colts had relatively easy breezes the morning of April 11 it was Glencrest Stable’s 3-year-old filly Devil May Carethat earned the “bullet” for a half-mile in 47 3/5 as the trainer keeps her on edge for her date in the April 30 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I). The daughter of Malibu Moonwas a 2 ¾-length winner of the March 20 Bonnie Miss Stakes (gr. II).

picojim
04-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Derby a Possibility For Filly Devil May Care

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56547/derby-a-possibility-for-filly-devil-may-care

bisket
04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
pletcher is trying to keep speed out of the race. it knocks either homeboy kris of jackson out. homeboy is the real worry. he runs like rachel with his head high and will definately push the pace.

WinterTriangle
04-20-2010, 06:52 PM
My favorite wager is the Derby/Oaks double, so I hope she stays in the Oaks. Otherwise, it just adds another dimension to my already burgeoning KY Derby superfecta problem. :D

point given
04-20-2010, 07:18 PM

AHEM ! :rolleyes:

Well Pletcher disagrees with you as quoted in the Bloodhorse article quoted above.

"
Pletcher said one of the main reasons he and owner John Greathouse are considering the Derby is because of the longer distance. The Derby is an eighth of a mile more than the Oaks.
“She acts like she wants to run beyond a mile and an eighth,” Pletcher said. “That is the main reason. We’ve worked her with a number of our colts who are being considered (for the Derby) and she has worked as well or better than most of them. But there is a lot to consider, including running in a field of 20 and things like that. We’ll just wait and see after she works.”

point given
04-20-2010, 07:21 PM
My favorite wager is the Derby/Oaks double, so I hope she stays in the Oaks. Otherwise, it just adds another dimension to my already burgeoning KY Derby superfecta problem. :D

I hope she runs,I've got her in my Roadtotheroses stable and am in 400th place

joanied
04-20-2010, 07:45 PM

I beleive she'd run well in the Derby...but she would have to have some 'tom boy' in her character...fillies considered for the Derby, IMO, need to have size and/or plenty of grit...but, I also would rather see her in the Oaks...and wouldn't that be something for Pletcher...fianlly getting his Derby, and the Oaks at the same time!
Besides all that...I'm already going round and round with my Derby picks...like you, Winter T, I kep doing something like this...:bang:

Rackon
04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
She's plenty good enough to run in the Derby IMO - she's fast, she's well bred and she doesn't seem to be intimidated by the boys, at least not in the mornings. If she likes the Chruchill strip, she could be dangerous.

But I dunno why Pletcher would want to complicate his life any more than it alreadyby entering her. (Unless, of course, if the owner, Greathouse insists, what can he do?)

I hope she stays in the Oaks for purely selfish reasons - she's my Oaks pick and handicapping the KD is tough enough this year. Let her go longer later, when she won't have to run in a 20 horse stampede.

ronsmac
04-20-2010, 08:03 PM
NO.

joanied
04-20-2010, 08:35 PM
She's plenty good enough to run in the Derby IMO - she's fast, she's well bred and she doesn't seem to be intimidated by the boys, at least not in the mornings. If she likes the Chruchill strip, she could be dangerous.

But I dunno why Pletcher would want to complicate his life any more than it alreadyby entering her. (Unless, of course, if the owner, Greathouse insists, what can he do?)

I hope she stays in the Oaks for purely selfish reasons - she's my Oaks pick and handicapping the KD is tough enough this year. Let her go longer later, when she won't have to run in a 20 horse stampede.

I like this post:ThmbUp:

bisket
04-20-2010, 08:45 PM
i just don't think a big field like the derby is a good place for a young filly. if they wanna take on this group of colts there will be plenty of opportunities in the coming months. why not the preakness?

cj's dad
04-20-2010, 08:55 PM
I still don't get how this makes her a derby horse. Fillies that run in the derby are usually completely dominate over their own sex and Devil May Care is hardly that at this point.

If I recall correctly, her speed figures for the Bonnie Miss Stakes at GP were better than those of ICE BOX - winner of the Fla. derby - same day !!

Also, she fought changing leads in deep stretch which caused her to veer slightly. This filly is the real deal. Regarding the big field, post, etc... what experience do the other 19 have with those same issues ??

GaryG
04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I really like her and had planned to play her in the Oaks. Plenty of upside, her figures are good as is her running style. I would never discount her chances. The odds will be long in the derby.

joanied
04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
If I recall correctly, her speed figures for the Bonnie Miss Stakes at GP were better than those of ICE BOX - winner of the Fla. derby - same day !!

Also, she fought changing leads in deep stretch which caused her to veer slightly. This filly is the real deal. Regarding the big field, post, etc... what experience do the other 19 have with those same issues ??

And wouldn't it be something if Pletcher gets his derby...with a filly:jump:

nijinski
04-20-2010, 09:19 PM
No .

cj's dad
04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
No .

Astute observation !! I'm sure Todd P will be tossing and turning all night knowing you're not in his corner !!

nijinski
04-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Astute observation !! I'm sure Todd P will be tossing and turning all night knowing you're not in his corner !!

I think he will come to hs senses knowing my stance on this matter : :D

letswastemoney
04-21-2010, 02:38 AM
i just don't think a big field like the derby is a good place for a young filly. if they wanna take on this group of colts there will be plenty of opportunities in the coming months. why not the preakness?Winning Colors and Genuine Risk disagree!

sandpit
04-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Winning Colors and Genuine Risk disagree!

Winning Colors had already dusted the boys in the SA Derby...

Ginny wound up running second in both the Preakness and Belmont; she was a big girl and could obviously handle the tussles.

I don't know anything about Devil May Care's size or mental constitution, but if Pletcher thinks she belongs, what is that saying about his other six entries?

cj's dad
04-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Winning Colors had already dusted the boys in the SA Derby...

Ginny wound up running second in both the Preakness and Belmont; she was a big girl and could obviously handle the tussles.

I don't know anything about Devil May Care's size or mental constitution, but if Pletcher thinks she belongs, what is that saying about his other six entries?

From the Bloodhorse article:

snip> "We’ve worked her with a number of our colts who are being considered (for the Derby) and she has worked as well or better than most of them. But there is a lot to consider" <snip

joanied
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
From the Bloodhorse article:

snip> "We’ve worked her with a number of our colts who are being considered (for the Derby) and she has worked as well or better than most of them. But there is a lot to consider" <snip

I'll bet there is...that is quite a mouthful he said there...I wonder how big a filly she is...she does look like she has a powerful build, she seems to have good muscle...if she's a fighter, then I beleive she can deal with 19 colts...hell, Eight Bells nearly pulled it off (R.I.P)
She may be more qualified than several of the colts. I'm glad I'm not Pletcher...this is a biggie of a decision.

the little guy
04-21-2010, 11:22 AM
She's not running in the Derby but could be entered if it keeps Eightyfiveinafifty out of the race. If Eightyfiveinafifty loses Saturday, and thus doesn't have earnings, it seems highly unlikely she will even be entered.

hazzardm
04-21-2010, 12:01 PM
I saw a great quote from Pletcher regarding this filly on different forum, while preparing for last years BC Juv Filly race.

I am paraphrasing TAP words "I wish the Juvenile Filly race was 1 3/4 miles"

point given
04-21-2010, 01:03 PM
She's not running in the Derby but could be entered if it keeps Eightyfiveinafifty out of the race. If Eightyfiveinafifty loses Saturday, and thus doesn't have earnings, it seems highly unlikely she will even be entered.

Just curious, is this your opinion or heard from good sources ?

the little guy
04-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Just curious, is this your opinion or heard from good sources ?

I don't repeat things I heard. It's strictly my opinion.

bisket
04-21-2010, 04:23 PM
i don't think pletcher wants some sprint type speed in the race because just about every one of his horses likes to be the pace or near it. fast fractions would make it more difficult for a few of his runners.

the little guy
04-21-2010, 04:53 PM
i don't think pletcher wants some sprint type speed in the race because just about every one of his horses likes to be the pace or near it. fast fractions would make it more difficult for a few of his runners.

That's hardly the reason.

joanied
04-21-2010, 05:05 PM
I saw a great quote from Pletcher regarding this filly on different forum, while preparing for last years BC Juv Filly race.

I am paraphrasing TAP words "I wish the Juvenile Filly race was 1 3/4 miles"

Then maybe he should save her for the Belmont!!

point given
04-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Then maybe he should save her for the Belmont!!

Pletcher is in a curious way here. He has the odds on Derby favorite in Eskendereya and the filly too. Sure he wants tokeep them apart and keep all his owners happy. What if Eskendereya wins the Derby and the Preakness and looking at the triple crown and the filly takes the Oaks, does he then enter Devil May Care to be the spoiler in the Belmont ?

joanied
04-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Pletcher is in a curious way here. He has the odds on Derby favorite in Eskendereya and the filly too. Sure he wants tokeep them apart and keep all his owners happy. What if Eskendereya wins the Derby and the Preakness and looking at the triple crown and the filly takes the Oaks, does he then enter Devil May Care to be the spoiler in the Belmont ?

ah, yes...I thought about that as I typed my post...I suppose, if all the 'what if's' pan out, he'd have a huge decision to make...I suppose a lot would depend on her owner also...he might want her to run despite Esky and his try for the Crown...IMO, Esky is not a TC horse...but who knows...at any rate, we'll know in less than 2 weeks:jump: (I am not picking Esky to win, BTW)

nijinski
04-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Winning Colors and Genuine Risk disagree!

But bring up Winniing Colors and Day to Gary Stevens an add to that the Firestones VS Cordero regarding a mugging of Genuine Risk , different Classic but
both had to tough it..

joanied
04-22-2010, 05:22 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/04/22/2010-04-22_untitled__races22.html

This is very interewsting from Devil May care's owner...I have never seen this filly in order to form an opinion on her appearance/build...
quote from he article from her owner:

It's a real possibility," Greathouse said. "She's a pretty imposing filly - kind of a big filly. We're not talking about some dainty little thing that is going to be shoved around by a bunch of guys. She can dish it out as well as anybody."

IMO, that says alot...maybe they should run her in the Derby...I'd be OK with it now that I read this story.

point given
04-22-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/04/22/2010-04-22_untitled__races22.html

This is very interewsting from Devil May care's owner...I have never seen this filly in order to form an opinion on her appearance/build...
quote from he article from her owner:

It's a real possibility," Greathouse said. "She's a pretty imposing filly - kind of a big filly. We're not talking about some dainty little thing that is going to be shoved around by a bunch of guys. She can dish it out as well as anybody."

IMO, that says alot...maybe they should run her in the Derby...I'd be OK with it now that I read this story.

Funny you posted this. I had happened to take another look at her last race and she veered in towards the rail when she had cleared the last filly in deep stretch.the chart said she shied from the whip. This made me have 2nd thoughts on a maturity level.

joanied
04-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Funny you posted this. I had happened to take another look at her last race and she veered in towards the rail when she had cleared the last filly in deep stretch.the chart said she shied from the whip. This made me have 2nd thoughts on a maturity level.

hmmmm... maybe the first time she's been hit? Some horses simply won't tolerate it.
PG...can you point me to a replay? I looked, but can't find one. Thanks.

point given
04-22-2010, 08:22 PM
hmmmm... maybe the first time she's been hit? Some horses simply won't tolerate it.

Here ya go - click on the white pointer in the box on the right

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/contenders/devil-may-care

cj's dad
04-22-2010, 09:05 PM

It appeared that she started to change leads as she did a little "hop" and when she didn't change she veered in. I believe she finally switched leads about 2 jumps from the finish.

joanied
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Here ya go - click on the white pointer in the box on the right

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/contenders/devil-may-care

Got the charts, PG...but can't find a video replay :( waaaaaaaa!!

I see that cj's dad beleives it was her changing leads, maybe not the whip?

cj's dad
04-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Got the charts, PG...but can't find a video replay :( waaaaaaaa!!

I see that cj's dad beleives it was her changing leads, maybe not the whip?

Go to the site at post 42 - at the picture of DMC, you'll see a "1 of 3" go to 3 of 3 and hit the play arrow

WinterTriangle
04-23-2010, 12:33 AM
If DMC goes in the derby, she gets a major wager from me. At 10F I don't see any chinks, and she's a horse on the improve.

Dahoss9698
04-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I think she has little to no shot in the Derby. But I like her to win the Oaks.

joanied
04-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Go to the site at post 42 - at the picture of DMC, you'll see a "1 of 3" go to 3 of 3 and hit the play arrow

Thanks, cj's dad:) ...now that I've seen it...couldn't remember how she finished from when they ran it...I beleive you are correct...she didn't shy from any whip...you can plainly see she was changing leads...being made to change...if DMC goes to the Derby...and I was betting...I would have to put her in my wagers...she made up a ton of ground and won by daylight. Man, Pletcher is so loaded for bear!!

point given
04-25-2010, 11:40 AM
If DMC goes in the derby, she gets a major wager from me. At 10F I don't see any chinks, and she's a horse on the improve.

Now with Esky out, it leaves the door open for Pletcher to sub DMC without too much acrimony. Funny how talk about her started after rumors swirled about Esky.( although I started the thread a week before that :) )

joanied
04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Now with Esky out, it leaves the door open for Pletcher to sub DMC without too much acrimony. Funny how talk about her started after rumors swirled about Esky.( although I started the thread a week before that :) )

Exactly:ThmbUp: ...now wouldn't it be something, and I said the before someplace here...if Pletcher finally gets his Derby...with a filly :eek: ...stranger things have happened.

point given
04-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Exactly:ThmbUp: ...now wouldn't it be something, and I said the before someplace here...if Pletcher finally gets his Derby...with a filly :eek: ...stranger things have happened.

Yeah, like him getting the Belmont with Rags To Riches. Maybe he will go for the career filly Triple Crown with different fillies ?

Per DRF.....

" Pletcher said he would talk on Monday with John Greathouse, whose Glencrest Farm owns Devil May Care, to decide which race in which to run. Oaks entries are taken on Tuesday, Derby entries on Wednesday, and Pletcher said there is the possibility Devil May Care could be entered in both races, which is perfectly legal.
Both races are expected to have oversubscribed fields. The Oaks is limited to 14 runners, the Derby 20, with both fields determined by earnings in graded stakes races if more than the maximum enter.

"We want to be respectful of anyone's chances of getting into the races, but we're obligated to do the best for our filly," Pletcher said. "If we get post 20 for the Derby, and 6 for the Oaks, that might sway us."

Work of the day

Devil May Care (five furlongs in 1:00.10): This steadily improving filly followed her super five-furlong drill last Saturday at Palm Meadows with an even better and easier skip in the park over the sloppy going here Saturday. Once again equipped in blinkers and with exercise rider Patti Barry barely moving an eyelash, Devil May Care appeared to be just galloping along over the wet track but still managed to cover five furlongs in just a shade more than a minute while completing her final quarter in 24 seconds. She then continued out very strongly around the turn, galloping out six furlongs in 1:13.81 and pulling up seven-eighths in 1:28.47.

There is little doubt this filly is not only on top of her game at the moment but obviously more focused with the addition of blinkers.

PhantomOnTour
04-26-2010, 10:12 AM
She's in.

point given
04-26-2010, 01:54 PM
She's in.

Yeah - glad to hear it. She should be a solid contender in this field. Just hope she gets a decent post to give her a chance. Keeps Johnny V as her pilot too. I've got it down to 6 likely entrants now. LAL, Sidney C., Mission I., Super S, DMC, Ice Box

joanied
04-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I saw her work...beautiful:ThmbUp:

GaryG
04-26-2010, 06:30 PM
With a good post she can win it.

WinterTriangle
04-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Nice workout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK9PWCtTlGQ

Robert Goren
04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
I am of the opinion that fillies do pretty well in the Derby. Almost always a lot better than expected. JMO

joanied
04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Nice workout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK9PWCtTlGQ

yes, indeed :ThmbUp:

GaryG
04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
With all of the press she is getting the price won't be that great. She could be the 2nd or 3rd choice.

point given
04-27-2010, 06:18 PM
With all of the press she is getting the price won't be that great. She could be the 2nd or 3rd choice.

Battaglia already stated that she will be the lowest odds of Pletcher horses.
Lucky @ 3/1, Sidney and Awesome @ 6-8/1 , then her maybe 10/1. She is certainly getting support, so much for the odds.

gales0678
04-27-2010, 06:20 PM
she is working great and loves the track 10/1 maybe a gift

nijinski
04-27-2010, 10:01 PM
I hope the blinkers , which I think are on help her.

Otherwise I think she'll find a way to lose.

joanied
04-28-2010, 09:58 AM
She'lll wear the blinkers...they took them off for her last work/gallop so she'd 'relax'. After looking at her PP's, I hope DMC has enough foundation to deal with the Derby.