PDA

View Full Version : Rachel Fires Bullet @ Churchill

PaceAdvantage
04-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Went 6f in 1:12...but here's what blew me away:

“We’re trying to get her back in the rhythm that she had success with last year, because we were very unsuccessful in trying to alter that,” said Asmusen. Why the hell would you try and alter THAT?!?!?! :lol:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56393/rachel-alexandra-fires-bullet-at-churchill?source=rss

46zilzal
04-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Speed horses usually do that.

PaceAdvantage
04-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Speed horses usually do that.Usually do what?

Fager Fan
04-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Usually do what?

I think she meant to say "good" instead of "speed".

Hanover1
04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Zen works 1:12 alot-so "speed horses do that" is not valid. Many distance horses fire this type work to prepare for a route....to be considered brisk at best. And they DID try to alter her program to prepare for the AB, and the mare showed them she aint quite ready for that program. She will let them know when she is ready. Those folks are paid to understand her movements and demeanor, and that will be the message.....and yes, mares DO get rank, or as we call it, race sour, so that is a factor that only they have a handle on. Not leaving the racetrack for her lay-up has been a factor in many a horses return, or subsequent flop, and here again, is only something that the camp can deal with and determine.

bisket
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM
its about time assmussen started listening to da bisket ;)

46zilzal
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Usually do what?
Work like they run

PaceAdvantage
04-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Work like they runSo you're saying this isn't news and should not be posted?

I did not exclaim surprise by this work, did I? I exclaimed surprise at what Asmussen said about trying to change her wanton ways.

Hanover1
04-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Work like they run
Umm...not always what the doctor orders......

Tom
04-12-2010, 03:30 PM
I think she meant to say "good" instead of "speed".:lol:

46zilzal
04-12-2010, 03:37 PM
So you're saying this isn't news and should not be posted?

I did not exclaim surprise by this work, did I? I exclaimed surprise at what Asmussen said about trying to change her wanton ways.
You're the one reading all manner of things into this.

Speed horses, by the very nature of their muscle physiology (fast firing neurons), produce faster work times.

PaceAdvantage
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
You're the one reading all manner of things into this.

Speed horses, by the very nature of their muscle physiology (fast firing neurons), produce faster work times.So what you're saying is, your reply had nothing to do with my post. As usual.

ddog
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Why the hell would you try and alter THAT?!?!?! :lol:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/56393/rachel-alexandra-fires-bullet-at-churchill?source=rss

same reason golfers tinker with their swing - they think it may make them better or physical demands change. Not unheard of in any field.

bullets are no big deal - many horses can work "bullets".

At this point in the training careers I will take Steve over you. Of course you may have great upside.

"bad horses work bullets also" - who knows what is meant to be said in this thread???? :lol: :lol: :lol: bisket........???? tinker bell....???? hello.

46zilzal
04-12-2010, 04:20 PM
So what you're saying is, your reply had nothing to do with my post. As usual.
Speed horses run fast because of their inherent physiology.

Speed horses run fast in workouts because of their inherent neural physiology.

It is not surprising for a speed horse, especially of her caliber, to have a fast workout.

When a speed horse works, particularly a stakes horse, they usually work quickly if they are in form.

Pace pressure horses work out usually quicker than most.

PaceAdvantage
04-12-2010, 04:25 PM
bullets are no big deal - many horses can work "bullets".Again, not the point of me posting this thread. I wasn't like "Oh my God, she worked a BULLET baby!! YEAH BABY...SHE'S BACK BABY!!!" :lol:

It was just informational, and to voice my displeasure at them trying to tinker with perfection.

PaceAdvantage
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
It is not surprising for a speed horse, especially of her caliber, to have a fast workout.And for the gazillionth time, I wasn't surprised she had a fast workout. Not the point of the thread. Point was to spread the info, since nobody posted about it yet, and to talk about Asmussen/Jackson's attempt to tinker with perfection.

ghostyapper
04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
And for the gazillionth time, I wasn't surprised she had a fast workout. Not the point of the thread. Point was to spread the info, since nobody posted about it yet, and to talk about Asmussen/Jackson's attempt to tinker with perfection.

Actually this was already posted but I understand if you want to get this info in again, seeing how the good news is so rare to hear from the rachel camp these days.

As for changing her style, her connections obviously know her weaknesses and they also know what I've been saying since last year that she will not rate against tough competition.

Thats right sorry to burst your bubble but she's not the mythical figure you thought she was, her connections know her limitations.

But I guess her following will have a new excuse on why she lost this year, they were trying to "change her style" LMAO

statik27
04-12-2010, 04:32 PM

I agree 100% PA. Why try and fix something that ain't broke? This filly's high cruising speed and ability to separate from the field won her HOY honors last season and they tried to change that. Seems kinda foolish to me. The only thing I can think is that the woodward, where she battled multiple challengers on the lead, knocked her out a lot more then they thought it would. Thus the long lay off and equipment, rating, changes. But that's just an armchair trainers opinion.

statik

hazzardm
04-12-2010, 04:34 PM
And for the gazillionth time, I wasn't surprised she had a fast workout. Not the point of the thread. Point was to spread the info, since nobody posted about it yet, and to talk about Asmussen/Jackson's attempt to tinker with perfection.

Yes, it is hard to fault perfection ;)

born2ride
04-12-2010, 04:34 PM
same reason golfers tinker with their swing - they think it may make them better or physical demands change. Not unheard of in any field.

bullets are no big deal - many horses can work "bullets".

At this point in the training careers I will take Steve over you. Of course you may have great upside.

"bad horses work bullets also" - who knows what is meant to be said in this thread???? :lol: :lol: :lol: bisket........???? tinker bell....???? hello.
Steve trying to force her to rate, than her doing it on her own, did not work well at all for them. So a bullet in this case is a big deal - it shows her old form is coming back.

ddog
04-12-2010, 04:40 PM
you may be correct. I didn't see the works before the last out or this one.

Without that I would never be able to say what this one showed.

I assume faster is better , but you know that's not always true either.

ghostyapper
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Steve trying to force her to rate, than her doing it on her own, did not work well at all for them. So a bullet in this case is a big deal - it shows her old form is coming back.

She worked 5 in 1.00 flat before her loss this year. What was that telling us that she was taking to the new style?

born2ride
04-12-2010, 04:47 PM
She worked 5 in 1.00 flat before her loss this year. What was that telling us that she was taking to the new style?

It says zilch. The work you mention was before they started tinkering with her style.

thorobasePA
04-12-2010, 04:50 PM

I can't understand why a Bloodhorse reporter wouldn't ask Asmussen what he tried to alter and why.

ghostyapper
04-12-2010, 04:55 PM
It says zilch. The work you mention was before they started tinkering with her style.

And where did you get the exact date that they started tinkering with her style and the exact date that they stopped?

Again I'm not the one trying to assign meaning to these times.

Hanover1
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I can't understand why a Bloodhorse reporter wouldn't ask Asmussen what he tried to alter and why.
Perhaps because it was common knowledge that she needed to crank it up a notch rather quickly to be ready to run in the AB?? Seems an easy one......

born2ride
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
And where did you get the exact date that they started tinkering with her style and the exact date that they stopped?

Again I'm not the one trying to assign meaning to these times.
Here is one of the several articles that discussed the arrival of Rachel wearing the figure 8 and why...
http://www.nola.com/horseracing/index.ssf/2010/03/rachel_alexandra_returns_to_ra.html

"She was too aggressive for Asmussen when she worked five furlongs in 1:00 1-5 Feb. 18, and he decided after that workout to change her bridle. She began training in a figure-8 bridle, which crisscrosses over the nose, and she’ll race with that bridle. It gives the rider more control over her, Asmussen said."

The date they stopped has already been posted - refer to PA's post for the link to the article.

Cadillakin
04-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Style - Schmyle

You don't need to teach a horse how to go to the front.. If Rachel came out of that race well, Asmussen would just say.. Well, it was her first race back and having Calvin take a hold of her last time wasn't a good idea...

Next time, we go to the front... End of story. Experiment over..

But there is something else going on with Rachel.. Like others, I didn't like her head cocking in the lane against Zardana.. She wasn't comfortable. Something is amiss..

She may not want to give an effort anymore... I think that's what Asmussen is hinting at when he says he can't get her back to where she was..

born2ride
04-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Style - Schmyle

You don't need to teach a horse how to go to the front.. If Rachel came out of that race well, Asmussen would just say.. Well, it was her first race back and having Calvin take a hold of her last time wasn't a good idea...

Next time, we go to the front... End of story. Experiment over..

But there is something else going on with Rachel.. Like others, I didn't like her head cocking in the lane against Zardana.. She wasn't comfortable. Something is amiss..

She may not want to give an effort anymore... I think that's what Asmussen is hinting at when he says he can't get her back to where she was..

The whole head cocking thing was Rachel fighting being held back by Calvin. She didn't want to be controlled, she wanted to run. That was the whole thing Steve referred to when he said they were very unsuccessful in changing her system. They tried to get her to change how she runs in her works and the NO Ladies by laying off the pace and she wanted no part of it.

A friend of mine saw her work at CD this morning and said she looked happy and was bouncing on the track, the head cocking was gone and she looked very comfortable. She's had two solid works that are reminiscent of her form last year and if she puts in another solid 6f work next Monday, then I'd banish the idea that she doesn't want to put forth an effort anymore.

Robert Goren
04-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Lets hope this is a sign that she back to her 3 yo form and she will back running in races soon.

Cadillakin
04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
The whole head cocking thing was Rachel fighting being held back by Calvin. She didn't want to be controlled, she wanted to run. That was the whole thing Steve referred to when he said they were very unsuccessful in changing her system.
I wasn't referring to the early part when she was under restraint.. Myself and others are talking about when Rachel was set down for the drive.. Her head was slightly up - and tilted towards the grandstand.. Her workouts showed something similar.. That figure8 is not a good sign on a champion who already knows the game..

Watch a couple of her races before the layoff, watch her action and head carriage at the end. In the Woodward, as she holds off Macho Again, her head carriage is straightforward - looking down the track in front of her, and balanced with her body.

That's not the case in the Oaklawn race.

Pick6
04-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Count me in for hoping she can get back to her 3YO form. I expect, if she runs a solid race and loses, people will quickly say she "is not back to form", just because she loses. Without considering that she is against better competition and different conditions.

bigmack
04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Speed horses run fast because of their inherent physiology.
Speed horses run fast in workouts because of their inherent neural physiology.
It is not surprising for a speed horse, especially of her caliber, to have a fast workout.
When a speed horse works, particularly a stakes horse, they usually work quickly if they are in form.
Pace pressure horses work out usually quicker than most.
Received and filed accordingly.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/copyshit2.gif

ghostyapper
04-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Here is one of the several articles that discussed the arrival of Rachel wearing the figure 8 and why...
http://www.nola.com/horseracing/index.ssf/2010/03/rachel_alexandra_returns_to_ra.html

"She was too aggressive for Asmussen when she worked five furlongs in 1:00 1-5 Feb. 18, and he decided after that workout to change her bridle. She began training in a figure-8 bridle, which crisscrosses over the nose, and she’ll race with that bridle. It gives the rider more control over her, Asmussen said."

The date they stopped has already been posted - refer to PA's post for the link to the article.

Fair enough. I'll take camp rachel's word on it. Everything is fine and dandy. She was coming off what some call the greatest 3 yo filly season ever but her trainer felt compelled to change her running style and bridle in order to compete with the contenders in 2010. The horse proved she couldn't do it (despite her jockey saying he could put her anywhere) causing her to lose at 1/9 odds to a nobody.

Now they allow her to run again and she posts a bullet, proving she's back. Everything is ok or is it since her trainer felt she couldn't win against the top dogs with her current style. Guess we'll have to stay tuned....

born2ride
04-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I wasn't referring to the early part when she was under restraint.. Myself and others are talking about when Rachel was set down for the drive.. Her head was slightly up - and tilted towards the grandstand.. Her workouts showed something similar.. That figure8 is not a good sign on a champion who already knows the game..

Watch a couple of her races before the layoff, watch her action and head carriage at the end. In the Woodward, as she holds off Macho Again, her head carriage is straightforward - looking down the track in front of her, and balanced with her body.

That's not the case in the Oaklawn race.
It's for the same reason(s). The figure 8 she was wearing was for control and she fought that control, the end result is her showing her opinion of that resistant when she's let free. She shows the same thing in the videos of her works before the NO Ladies, once let loose her head is cocked to the side.

I don't know if she wore the figure 8 today or not, but there was no head cocking at any part of the work.

Pick6
04-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Fair enough. I'll take camp rachel's word on it. Everything is fine and dandy. She was coming off what some call the greatest 3 yo filly season ever but her trainer felt compelled to change her running style and bridle in order to compete with the contenders in 2010. The horse proved she couldn't do it (despite her jockey saying he could put her anywhere) causing her to lose at 1/9 odds to a nobody.

Now they allow her to run again and she posts a bullet, proving she's back. Everything is ok or is it since her trainer felt she couldn't win against the top dogs with her current style. Guess we'll have to stay tuned....
I would not go so far as to say Zardana was a nobody, but when a horse loses at 1/20 odds something must be amiss.

I don't think we will see her at those odds again.

born2ride
04-12-2010, 08:56 PM

Why change what isn't broken? We can guess why it was done and come up with a pretty good reason, the point is though that it didn't work with her. So that fun little experiment of the past month or so is over, she's back to posting works that are similar to last year and we'll know soon enough if she's ready to race. I think this now pretty much brings us full circle back to PA's first post. ;)

Pick6
04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Why change what isn't broken?
I think you need to ask that question to the people who know more about her than anybody else.

bisket
04-12-2010, 09:49 PM
i think assmussen was attempting to make her capabilities in racing the classic distance a little stronger. she just runs to fast early to keep her rythm for 1 1/4 mile. if you look at the preakness about two hundred yards from the wire you could see a marked difference in her way of going. thats the only time i've seen her not look fluid in a race. with the exception of the race in louisiana a month ago. i know there are plenty of rachel fans that will fight me tooth and nail on this point, but thats what i saw.

Pell Mell
04-12-2010, 10:11 PM
If I recall they tried the same shit with Big Brown and I'll go to my grave believing that's what screwed him up in the Belmont. And didn't they try that restraint stuff with Hard Spun and Gomez and he ran terrible.Speed is an advantage, period! Why do they try to take away the horse's strong point is beyond me. Horses of Rachel and Big Browns caliber don't want to be held back. JMO

cj
04-12-2010, 11:20 PM
...Speed is an advantage on dirt...

Fixed that.

Pell Mell
04-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Fixed that.

Sorry, I didn't know they were planning to run her on polycrap.

WinterTriangle
04-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Asmussen/Jackson's attempt to tinker with perfection.

I wonder if she's with the right trainer. Tinkering with her and making her spend her vacation on the backside.

Poor Rachel. Maybe that's why she is making them *wait*. :lol:

Fager Fan
04-13-2010, 07:54 AM
If I recall they tried the same shit with Big Brown and I'll go to my grave believing that's what screwed him up in the Belmont. And didn't they try that restraint stuff with Hard Spun and Gomez and he ran terrible.Speed is an advantage, period! Why do they try to take away the horse's strong point is beyond me. Horses of Rachel and Big Browns caliber don't want to be held back. JMO

If you recall, Jones was furious with Gomez after the race. His instructions were to go to the front and use Hard Spun's speed as a weapon, see if they would be able to catch him. Gomez inexplicably did the total opposite, and instead strangled Hard Spun back and used him to box in Curlin.

chickenhead
04-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Gomez is shit on speed horses.

Kimsus
04-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I wonder if she's with the right trainer. Tinkering with her and making her spend her vacation on the backside.

Poor Rachel. Maybe that's why she is making them *wait*. :lol:

I find this "tinkering talk" abit suspicious, Steve A whatever one may think of him as a person is not an unintelligent horseman. I wouldn't be jumping through the hoops with excitement yet. There's a reason why they fitted her with the equipment and I suspect it is because Rachel is not relaxing in the body of her races, this is why I believe Zenyatta will always have her number, she will run herself out of gas if there is a worthy horse to run her down.

OntheRail
04-13-2010, 01:41 PM
I find this "tinkering talk" abit suspicious, Steve A whatever one may think of him as a person is not an unintelligent horseman. I wouldn't be jumping through the hoops with excitement yet. There's a reason why they fitted her with the equipment and I suspect it is because Rachel is not relaxing in the body of her races, this is why I believe Zenyatta will always have her number, she will run herself out of gas if there is a worthy horse to run her down.

In the NOL CB had a strangle hold on RA down the backside... but he was told to hold her back and she was rebelling all the way... and that was the only time I've seen her look uptight. I think the equipment change was SA trying to put his stamp on RA.

So what your saying is they have to LOAD the field against Rachel... more hares so the tortuous can win. I thought Zenyatta was the worthly horse... but I see she needs some hares help. :lol:

If I were Jackson I'd enter Rachel in one of Zenyatta's races right before the cut off time and get in on these weak fields and run against her in. No need for a multi million dollar purse. ;)

I doubt Moss will go after G1 males on dirt till Nov if then. If he comes East again before then it's be restricted company and he'll threaten to pull her if the weight is to much. But my guess is next strat will be in CA.

Thank Big Red that they'er giving up the tinkering. Let Rachel run as she likes. :jump:

Kimsus
04-13-2010, 01:56 PM
In the NOL CB had a strangle hold on RA down the backside...

I got this far before reading on, check the replay, I don't know what constitutes a stranglehold in your eyes, but this is not accurate.

Show Me the Wire
04-13-2010, 02:00 PM

Another purpose of the figure 8 is to open the nostrils and the airways.

DeanT
04-13-2010, 02:01 PM
I find this "tinkering talk" abit suspicious, Steve A whatever one may think of him as a person is not an unintelligent horseman. I wouldn't be jumping through the hoops with excitement yet. There's a reason why they fitted her with the equipment and I suspect it is because Rachel is not relaxing in the body of her races
I believe that they worry about her perceived distance limitations and want to see if they can relax her more, so she can win the BC, or whatever else they have their eye on. I don't know why anyone can argue with the connections trying to make her better, to be remembered as possibly the best filly ever. To me that is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Top golfers do this all the time - change their swing when they are at or near the top so they can challenge at a US Open, or other major. It's what wanting to be the best is about, and often times they are roundly criticized for it. That does not make sense to me.

Anyhow, if the last work and SA's comments that they have "backed off" changing her style a little bit, I don't think that bodes well for a Classic showdown at a mile and a quarter this fall.

joanied
04-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I appreciate Pace posting this because I also thought it was very telling to read that Asmussen pretty much admitted that there are some things you cannot change.
Winter T...glad you brought up the part about her spending her vacation on the backside...that is something that confounds me still:confused: ...water under the bridge now, but me thinks it did nothing but sour Rachel...

then they do what they did to try and change her running style...so it is refreshing to knoe SA admits defeat in that department, and is now, I assume, willing to let Rachel be herself and let the cards fall where they may.
I do beleive in Calvin with this filly...he has been able to ride her loose rein down the backside before...her crusing speed is so high, but she doesn't seem to exert herself in doing so. The one cog in the wheel is if she is pressed hard, like they did to her in the Woodward...like a relay race, they kept after her.

I also believe that as her season goes on, they may find her being kinder because she'll be back to doing what she loves...and may decide to be a little more cooperative. There just are some things you can't harness, and be it good or bad, Rachel seems to be one of them.
If it were me, I wouldn't give Calvin any pre race instructions...he knows her like the back of his hand, he'll take care of her and do the right thing.

Hanover1
04-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Another purpose of the figure 8 is to open the nostrils and the airways.
The main reason I ever used one was to keep the mouth shut, assisting in the control of the horse without having to fight the bit against the jaw when the horse pulls....a control device. A normal caveson only has one strap, a figure 8 has 2, with 1 placed further under the jaw for the added control needed to keep the horse from bearing on the bit with his/her jaw when head is bowed and bit is set.

bisket
04-13-2010, 04:59 PM
she remind me so much of hard spun in that they both just love to run.we had an english pointer when i was young. when we would take her to field to work it. man she would just take off like a shot; her nose going as fast as her feet. i think she lived every other day of her life just for the days she was able to hunt. its the same with good classy horses. they just want to run and race. everything else really doesn't matter. you take that away from them you'll never see a happy horse. rachel just wants to have fun. let her!!

bisket
04-13-2010, 05:00 PM
The main reason I ever used one was to keep the mouth shut, assisting in the control of the horse without having to fight the bit against the jaw when the horse pulls....a control device. A normal caveson only has one strap, a figure 8 has 2, with 1 placed further under the jaw for the added control needed to keep the horse from bearing on the bit with his/her jaw when head is bowed and bit is set.
with her way of going, without the fig 8, the jock doesn't have the amount of control he has with other runners

OntheRail
04-13-2010, 06:06 PM
I got this far before reading on, check the replay, I don't know what constitutes a stranglehold in your eyes, but this is not accurate.

Well he was not leaning on her neck and going with the flow of things. So when a jockey has his feet planted in front of his shoulders and is shiing. I call that a stranglehold. What would you call it?

Show Me the Wire
04-13-2010, 06:45 PM

It is also used by other trainers to help breathing during exertion.

",,,,its design provides more expansion of the nostrils, which is preferable for horses performing work involving galloping (eventing, polo, racing), and has always been popular in show jumping"

http://www.englishhabit.com/figure-8-bridles.aspx

The above is one of many purveyors of nose bands that extoll the design allowing for more nostril expansion. More nostril expansion more air to the airway to combat breathing problems.

PaceAdvantage
04-14-2010, 05:41 PM
More nostril expansion more air to the airway to combat breathing problems.That was a reach, don't you think? Or do you know something we do not?

Sericm
04-14-2010, 06:44 PM
In the NOL CB had a strangle hold on RA down the backside... but he was told to hold her back and she was rebelling all the way... and that was the only time I've seen her look uptight. I think the equipment change was SA trying to put his stamp on RA.

So what your saying is they have to LOAD the field against Rachel... more hares so the tortuous can win. I thought Zenyatta was the worthly horse... but I see she needs some hares help. :lol:

If I were Jackson I'd enter Rachel in one of Zenyatta's races right before the cut off time and get in on these weak fields and run against her in. No need for a multi million dollar purse. ;)

I doubt Moss will go after G1 males on dirt till Nov if then. If he comes East again before then it's be restricted company and he'll threaten to pull her if the weight is to much. But my guess is next strat will be in CA.

Thank Big Red that they'er giving up the tinkering. Let Rachel run as she likes.

Give me a nickel for every Horse that worked in 1:12 and then ran down the track and I'd be a rich man.

Also the only time Damascus could beat Dr Fager was when Whiteley entered his rabbit Hedevar, so that's one of the oldest tactics in racing.

SERICM :bang:

Show Me the Wire
04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
That was a reach, don't you think? Or do you know something we do not?

Read this and then decide: http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse-health/2006/November/28/Lung-disease-in-the-racehorse.aspx.

Take note about being boxed up in a stall.

BluegrassProf
04-14-2010, 09:28 PM
:faint:

*thud*

Show Me the Wire
04-14-2010, 09:31 PM
BluegrassProf:

How much does Jackson or Asmussen pay you to be the apologist? :eek:

BluegrassProf
04-14-2010, 09:40 PM
BluegrassProf:

How much does Jackson or Asmussen pay you to be the apologist? :eek:
How do you figure? Because I - like many others, Rachel fans and non-fans and everywhere in between, for crying out loud - think the "SOMETHIN' WRONG!" speculation is silly? That it's sillier than, say, a simple layoff?

Even guessing that she's simply not growing into herself is considerably less speculative. I mean, come on. :bang:

And you DO know that speculating re: illness is more an apologist stance than claiming something otherwise (like not carrying form from one year to the next), right?

Besides, are you that sensitive about it? If so, why post?

Good grief, man. If you're gonna infer far-out things (about ANY horse), expect at least a few to call you on it.

Grits
04-14-2010, 10:03 PM
:faint:

*thud*

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Show Me the Wire
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Respitory problems in rachorses is not a far out thing as you suggest. Losing lung or air is a standard reason for a horse to descend the ladder. The faster the horse the more of a chance of respitory problems, due to their physiology.

The stall comment was made in particular to PA as we debated through pm about the decision to keep Rachel in a stall instead of turning her out.

As others pointed out Asmussen would not tinker with Rachel's equipment without a good reason. During her three year old campaign Rachel didn't act rank and Borel had no problems getting her to settle. So it seems the control issue really doesn't fit the bill for the equipment change.

I've pointed out another use of the figure 8. Nothing I suggested is "far out" as you seem to indicate.

Let's see if Rachel will continue with the high head carriage without the figure 8.

I used the word apologist regarding your constant defense of the connections and their decisions, not about the horses performance.

This is a discussion board and I am discussing possible reasons for the unusual equipment change, the very extended lay-up and the quick decision to pull Rachel from the AB. My speculation about air problems explains much of the scenario.

I may be right or may be wrong, but it is a fair discussion.

johnhannibalsmith
04-14-2010, 10:36 PM
I'll probably regret jumping in, but...

The type of respiratory problems that you are alluding to via the link in an earlier post and the connection to "stall life" are generally not treated effectively with an equipment change. Antibiotics, steroids, ventipulmin, etc... - I know Mr. Asmussen knows what would work for such a problem and what wouldn't.

Yes, a figure eight is often a change seen in horses that exhibit breathing problems, but ordinarily it is used in such scenarios with the hope that it may mitigate a physical condition - a compromising, inherent limitation on the anatomical level or a natural head carriage that exascerbates a conformational or structural abnormality/deficiency.

I think that you could plausibly make a case, although perhaps not persuasively, that the sudden desire to try a figure eight could imply breathing problems. But, if I was going to float a bit of a conspiracy-esque theory around, I'd probably be less inclined to pin it on contaminants from stall life affecting her breathing and shoot for something along the lines of scar tissue from a prior surgery in her career.

I mean, I wouldn't make the case at all, but of the two theories, I find some minute merit to the latter and almost no merit to the idea of using a figure eight to deal with COPD or some other respiratory infection.

nijinski
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I thinK Asmussen is a fine horseman and I doubt he nor Jackson would
keep Rachel racing if she has a wind problem.

She's not a polo pony or an event horse , she's way too valuable and I can't
imagine they wouldn't have retired her if her if she showed any respiratory distress.

I guess we will have to wait and see. JMO.

Show Me the Wire
04-14-2010, 10:49 PM
johnhannibalsmith:

I am not suggesting the figure 8 is a treatment. I guess that part was not clear. I should not have referred to the stall, as that seems to be the point of confusion. The stall remark was meant for PA, only regarding previous pms.

I am saying the figure 8 is a response to the after effects.

Thanks for jumping in and allowing me to clarify.

FenceBored
04-15-2010, 08:28 AM
johnhannibalsmith:

I am not suggesting the figure 8 is a treatment. I guess that part was not clear. I should not have referred to the stall, as that seems to be the point of confusion. The stall remark was meant for PA, only regarding previous pms.

I am saying the figure 8 is a response to the after effects.

Thanks for jumping in and allowing me to clarify.

Let's see, last month you speculated that hiding a physical injury had her spend her layoff time in a stall at a public facility instead of sending her to her owner's farm.

This month you're speculating that the stall time caused a breathing problem the effects of which they tried to alleviate with the figure 8 bridle.

I can hardly wait for next month.

Kimsus
04-15-2010, 09:23 AM
How do you figure? Because I - like many others, Rachel fans and non-fans and everywhere in between, for crying out loud - think the "SOMETHIN' WRONG!" speculation is silly? That it's sillier than, say, a simple layoff?

Even guessing that she's simply not growing into herself is considerably less speculative. I mean, come on. :bang:

And you DO know that speculating re: illness is more an apologist stance than claiming something otherwise (like not carrying form from one year to the next), right?

Besides, are you that sensitive about it? If so, why post?

Good grief, man. If you're gonna infer far-out things (about ANY horse), expect at least a few to call you on it.

How can one not speculate when it comes to horseracing, unless one doesn't bet? Obcourse one should speculate if one makes investments in the game, if you don't you shouldn't be playing.

Speculation - The process of selecting investments with higher risk in order to profit from an anticipated price movement.

Kimsus
04-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Let's see, last month you speculated that hiding a physical injury had her spend her layoff time in a stall at a public facility instead of sending her to her owner's farm.

This month you're speculating that the stall time caused a breathing problem the effects of which they tried to alleviate with the figure 8 bridle.

Considering your track record of hypothesizing weight assignments for Zenyatta, I can hardly wait for what you have in stored for us next month. :lol:

ghostyapper
04-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Considering your track record of hypothesizing weight assignments for Zenyatta, I can hardly wait for what you have in stored for us next month. :lol:

If she ever beats males in the foster or gold cup I'm guessing he'll want a 180lb assignment for the pacific classic.

FenceBored
04-15-2010, 09:58 AM
If she ever beats males in the foster or gold cup I'm guessing he'll want a 180lb assignment for the pacific classic.

I'm working with the CHRB to require Zenyatta's connections to ride Shaq. That way they can assign her 109, like you want, and they'll just have to list +200 in the changes.

ti4aCoikJBE

Kimsus
04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I'm working with the CHRB to require Zenyatta's connections to ride Shaq. That way they can assign her 109, like you want, and they'll just have to list +200 in the changes.

ti4aCoikJBE

With your logic, Rachel should go down 2lbs for every win(supposing she can still do that)she wracks up that Zenyatta goes up. Funny how the supposed superior horse should get the weight breaks=.

FenceBored
04-15-2010, 11:29 AM
With your logic, Rachel should go down 2lbs for every win(supposing she can still do that)she wracks up that Zenyatta goes up. Funny how the supposed superior horse should get the weight breaks=.

With my logic, if you clear the bar, the bar gets raised, period. You're the one who wants to lower the high jump bar for 'your' horse after she clears it.

Show Me the Wire
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM

That above is not what I said. I clarified my reference to the vacation in the stall is about prior pms to PA. Read my original post it is an answer to PA and I asked him to pay attention to the part about stalls.

Also, you should remember we had this discussion about why would the connections keep Rachel in the stall for her lay-up, instead of turning her out on a farm. I opined at that time it was pretty unusual to keep a sound healthy horse that is likely kicking the barn down confined in a stall on the backside, without regular works as being pretty unusual. I still stand by that opinion.

BTW the stall on the backside is not a public facility where anyone can walk in, in fact it is private property with limited access.

I see you glossed over the fact about how prevelant wind problems are in thoroughbred racing, that is the point of the article and the study referenced in the article.

Are you disputing the validity of this study and the several others regarding wind problems resulting from running fast, and the stressers involved?

FenceBored
04-15-2010, 02:24 PM
That above is not what I said. I clarified my reference to the vacation in the stall is about prior pms to PA. Read my original post it is an answer to PA and I asked him to pay attention to the part about stalls.

Also, you should remember we had this discussion about why would the connections keep Rachel in the stall for her lay-up, instead of turning her out on a farm. I opined at that time it was pretty unusual to keep a sound healthy horse that is likely kicking the barn down confined in a stall on the backside, without regular works as being pretty unusual. I still stand by that opinion.

BTW the stall on the backside is not a public facility where anyone can walk in, in fact it is private property with limited access.

I see you glossed over the fact about how prevelant wind problems are in thoroughbred racing, that is the point of the article and the study referenced in the article.

Are you disputing the validity of this study and the several others regarding wind problems resulting from running fast, and the stressers involved?

Oh, please. Next you'll be saying she's suffering from bucked shins, and demand I deny that horses can suffer from that condition. Maybe she's got an undescended testicle. Some horses get that, too. :eek:

Show Me the Wire
04-15-2010, 03:14 PM
So you are not disputing the fact wind problems are prominient problems resulting from the stress of competitive racing.

I didn't think so.

Contrary to your assertion, I am not demanding anything of you, especially you denying that Rachel has physical problems.

Of course if you are privy to facts not known outside Rachel's cirlce, that would be a different matter all together. However, since you are as much as in the dark as the rest of us, I fail to see how I would demand any pertinent information from you about Rachel's health.

FenceBored
04-15-2010, 03:57 PM
So you are not disputing the fact wind problems are prominient problems resulting from the stress of competitive racing.

I didn't think so.

Contrary to your assertion, I am not demanding anything of you, especially you denying that Rachel has physical problems.

Of course if you are privy to facts not known outside Rachel's cirlce, that would be a different matter all together. However, since you are as much as in the dark as the rest of us, I fail to see how I would demand any pertinent information from you about Rachel's health.

Ah, so you admit that you're just throwing around baseless charges.

Thank you. :)

Show Me the Wire
04-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Fencebored:

Such a ridiculous statement. There is no advesarial proceeding and no charges lodged against Rachel's connections, so there is no admission of making baseless charges. Injuries are part of competition.

You act as if i said Asmussen intentionally took a baseball bat to Rachel and crippled her.

I am discussing the possibility of competition related injury, which is nothing akin to your suggestion of baseless charges. So don't fear there are no animal abuse charges you have to defend Asmussen or Jackson against.

Kimusus is correct regarding your perception about the importance of specualtion when it comes to racing and wagering.

I am convinced Rachel suffered some sort of physical set back, what I am in the dark about, as you are, is what type and severity.

FenceBored
04-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Fencebored:

Such a ridiculous statement. There is no advesarial proceeding and no charges lodged against Rachel's connections, so there is no admission of making baseless charges. Injuries are part of competition.

You act as if i said Asmussen intentionally took a baseball bat to Rachel and crippled her.

I am discussing the possibility of competition related injury, which is nothing akin to your suggestion of baseless charges. So don't fear there are no animal abuse charges you have to defend Asmussen or Jackson against.

Kimusus is correct regarding your perception about the importance of specualtion when it comes to racing and wagering.

I am convinced Rachel suffered some sort of physical set back, what I am in the dark about, as you are, is what type and severity.

What "physical setback" did Funny Moon suffer? Her last race in 2009 was the Alabama and her first race in 2010 is today at Keeneland. By your logic that indicates her connections were "hiding an injury." She didn't have the media attention that larger names in the sport did (she only won one G1), so maybe there was something, that media didn't bother to report at the time. They're not mentioning anything in the lead-ins to this race either, which by standard logic means that most likely there's nothing to report.

You're "convinced" that you've heard hoofbeats, and rather than thinking horse (i.e. you heard the sounds of a race on your tv) - rather than think plains zebra (the most numerous species of zebra) - rather than think mountain zebra - you're trying to build a case than a Grevy's zebra stowed away on a freighter bound for New York City, hitchhicked her way across the USA (oops, I mean New York) to Saratoga and trampled Scott Blasi, spooking Rachel who then whacked her hip on the door post requiring stall rest, and then got a respiratory condition from being in the stall too much, necessitating the use of a figure 8 bridle to open up her nasal passages. Whew, that's a lot of supposition.

Relax. Sit back, slip in that DVD of Zenyatta's races and consider whether you've ever seen any evidence that she's not intersex like Arizona Helen (http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/3-4-09/the-amazing-story-of-a-mare-turned-horse.html). :eek: She too was dominating the distaff division, like Zenyatta. Maybe that's why Zenyatta hasn't run in NY or KY. Maybe they're afraid the condition would be noticed in post race testing in these states, whereas they've got 'friends' who'll overlook it in California and Arkansas. Jerry Moss is an old record company executive, and you know what they say about them. That's it. That's the ticket.

Show Me the Wire
04-16-2010, 12:21 PM
You may have the last word as you are intent on having it.

However. my post had nothing to do with Zenyatta, but if it makes you feel better to bring her up and her owner, what can I say? Nothing, except I hope you feel better now.

Grits
04-19-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/112275.html

Greyfox
04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Relax. Sit back, slip in that DVD of Zenyatta's races and consider whether you've ever seen any evidence that she's not intersex like Arizona Helen (http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/3-4-09/the-amazing-story-of-a-mare-turned-horse.html). :eek: She too was dominating the distaff division, like Zenyatta. Maybe that's why Zenyatta hasn't run in NY or KY. Maybe they're afraid the condition would be noticed in post race testing in these states, whereas they've got 'friends' who'll overlook it in California and Arkansas. .

Anything is possible, but this suggestion is a huge stretch and highly unlikely.
That's a horrible rumor to start. Quash it now.

joanied
04-19-2010, 12:06 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/112275.html

I would love to have seen that work...fantastic:ThmbUp: Maybe that'll quiet down any rumors that something isn't right with Rachel.

FenceBored
04-19-2010, 12:21 PM
I would love to have seen that work...fantastic:ThmbUp: Maybe that'll quiet down any rumors that something isn't right with Rachel.

I wouldn't count on it, Joanied. It will be seen those who want to as evidence that something was wrong (and that she's now getting better).

Shh, don't tell anyone, but it's her third straight bullet. ;)

Robert Goren
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I would love to have seen that work...fantastic:ThmbUp: Maybe that'll quiet down any rumors that something isn't right with Rachel. When she actually run in a race the rumors will die down. The fact that they don't seem to want to race her causes doubt about her in my mind and no WO is change that. JMO

joanied
04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't count on it, Joanied. It will be seen those who want to as evidence that something was wrong (and that she's now getting better).

Shh, don't tell anyone, but it's her third straight bullet. ;)

:D probably right about that!! Yes, indeed it is...IMO, she's on the road back to being Rachel :jump:

joanied
04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
When she actually run in a race the rumors will die down. The fact that they don't seem to want to race her causes doubt about her in my mind and no WO is change that. JMO

Seems to me that her last few works should be enough to change your mind...but hey, stick to yer guns:)

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2010, 04:03 PM
When she actually run in a race the rumors will die down. The fact that they don't seem to want to race her causes doubt about her in my mind and no WO is change that. JMOIs she supposed to be running every week or two like a cheap claimer?

Sheesh...it's barely been a month since she last raced...so much overreaction on both sides of the coin...

Nice to see her fire another bullet though...Asmussen seems more than pleased with this work...I am very much looking forward to her taking on Zenyatta on dirt and/or the boys (again)...

Show Me the Wire
04-19-2010, 04:41 PM
3 bullets in a row, she should be ready for the LaTroienne. Let's race!

MNslappy
04-19-2010, 07:03 PM
"She worked crazy good," said Asmussen, according to Churchill Downs vice president of communications John Asher. "She’s had three works here since she’s been here, and they have been extremely ‘Rachelesque.’

:ThmbUp:

DRIVEWAY
04-19-2010, 07:54 PM
3 bullets in a row, she should be ready for the LaTroienne. Let's race!

They'll enter Rachel at the last minute.

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2010, 12:12 AM
They'll enter Rachel at the last minute.Or they could scratch like Bobby Frankel used to do all the time...you ever get on his case back in the day?

I don't quite understand this criticism...what exactly is entering at the last minute anyway? You have a certain amount of time to enter, just like everyone else...

Maybe they're just taking a page out of the Zenyatta camp's playbook...nobody knew if she was going in the BC Classic or not until the last minute...hell...nobody even knew if she was retired or not...pretty shifty those Zenyatta folks...

DRIVEWAY
04-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Or they could scratch like Bobby Frankel used to do all the time...you ever get on his case back in the day?

I don't quite understand this criticism...what exactly is entering at the last minute anyway? You have a certain amount of time to enter, just like everyone else...

Maybe they're just taking a page out of the Zenyatta camp's playbook...nobody knew if she was going in the BC Classic or not until the last minute...hell...nobody even knew if she was retired or not...pretty shifty those Zenyatta folks...

What criticism are you talking about? They'll make up their mind to race her at the last minute. They want to make sure she's ready to race and that she came out of her last workout in peak condition.

Why are you criticizing Frankel(RIP) and Zenyatta? Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed?

Gorgeous George
04-20-2010, 08:49 AM
What criticism are you talking about? They'll make up their mind to race her at the last minute. They want to make sure she's ready to race and that she came out of her last workout in peak condition.

Why are you criticizing Frankel(RIP) and Zenyatta? Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed?

he criticizes a lot of people just the type of person he is I guess plus the fact he's infatuated with Zenyatta.

Nikki1997
04-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Or they could scratch like Bobby Frankel used to do all the time...you ever get on his case back in the day?

I've read this elsewhere and am curious. Why is this a point of contention anyway? Which BC race Z went in affected RA in no way since she wasn't there. Neither her connections nor RA's connections are bound by any rule that says they have to announce their intentions. To anyone. Also curious as to why the "retirement" thing is a point of contention. What the connections of a horse do with him/her should have zero bearing on what other connections do with theirs. This particular decision by the Moss' seems to be a sticking point with many RA fans. Why is that? Perhaps Z coming back in 2010 put a block in the road for RA to have to overcome, a block that was not anticipated and with the big mare off the track, that sort of opened things up.

As far as connections of a horse changing their mind, the most recent example falls in RA's court. Jess Jackson changed his mind about the AB. Not interested in the "she wasn't fit" thing, either. He could have removed all doubt about her participation from the getgo and didn't. According to SA, she came out of the NOL in fine shape and not a couple of hours later, JJ removed her from being in Hot Springs. His right to do so, but let's be fair about how some of these decisions come about. Rachel is working well and that's good news for her fans. However, her connections have their own way of keeping things to themselves. It isn't limited to the west coast.

CincyHorseplayer
04-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Why is another horse being mentioned in a thread "NOT" about any other horse than Rachel Alexandra??

When that ceases then there might be a reason to complain.Been 5 months of this BS.

BluegrassProf
04-20-2010, 11:46 AM
he criticizes a lot of people just the type of person he is I guess plus the fact he's infatuated with Zenyatta.Right, unlike your deeply multifaceted commentary. :ThmbUp:

Ex: At quick glance, 22 of 25 posts on your first "other user posts" page are Zen vs. Rachel fodder, respective criticisms and high praises alike - no one knows infatuation like the infatuated. ;)

At least I hold no illusions re: my own obvious preoccupation...

Kimsus
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Kimsus is lurking, tread lightly...

bisket
04-20-2010, 05:05 PM
they are waiting to see if careless jewej is running

WinterTriangle
04-20-2010, 07:04 PM

What looks like the last minute to outsiders, may be carefully thought out by connections/trainers, who are able to *see* the time when their horse is best suited to be placed in a certain race.

And Frankel scratching was a good example. Actually, it's an angle I play, figuring the trainer sees a "better place" for their horse after the field develops.

OTOH, some connections seem not to have a knack for brilliant placement.

Last minute is fine with me, regardless of how it's arrived at.

I guess I don't understand all the *that's sneaky* stuff. It's a competition. I remember when larger tennis rackets came out, with a larger "sweet spot". No point in using a wooden racket with a smaller sweet spot if your opponent is using something that might be better.

Placing your horse in ANY race where they can win, seems like something any rational person would do?

joanied
04-20-2010, 07:10 PM
I agree, Winter T...no one can blame a trainer/owner for changing their mind at 'the last minute'...sometimes it sucks for the fans & players...but most often it's in the best interest of a trainer to place that horse is the best spot...who can argue with that.

Rackon
04-20-2010, 07:45 PM
What looks like the last minute to outsiders, may be carefully thought out by connections/trainers, who are able to *see* the time when their horse is best suited to be placed in a certain race.

And Frankel scratching was a good example. Actually, it's an angle I play, figuring the trainer sees a "better place" for their horse after the field develops.

I guess I don't understand all the *that's sneaky* stuff. It's a competition. I remember when larger tennis rackets came out, with a larger "sweet spot". No point in using a wooden racket with a smaller sweet spot if your opponent is using something that might be better.

Placing your horse in ANY race where they can win, seems like something any rational person would do?

No kidding. ;)

This post is way too much like common sense.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Plus, horses do change from week to week and even day to day - they're not machines.

Fields certainly do change/develop within a week.

As an owner, I want the horse spotted where it'll perform best.

As a fan, this means I'm sometimes subject to disappointment. I can live with that.

I think the "they're bein' sneaky" stuff is fantasy. The connections are just doing the best they can.

breezing
04-20-2010, 08:50 PM
it's a game they all play, to think otherwise is being naive.

bisket
04-20-2010, 08:59 PM

No kidding. ;)

This post is way too much like common sense.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Plus, horses do change from week to week and even day to day - they're not machines.

Fields certainly do change/develop within a week.

As an owner, I want the horse spotted where it'll perform best.

As a fan, this means I'm sometimes subject to disappointment. I can live with that.

I think the "they're bein' sneaky" stuff is fantasy. The connections are just doing the best they can.
but what fun is that :D

Dahoss9698
04-20-2010, 10:06 PM
they are waiting to see if careless jewej is running

They are? They must not read the DRF, because the headline article a few days ago was about Careless Jewel and how she's running in the La Troienne, with or without Rachel.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/112230.html

No, Josie Carroll isn't monitoring every move that Rachel Alexandra makes, but she does have more than a passing interest in where the superstar filly shows up next.
That's because Carroll intends to have Careless Jewel make her 4-year-old debut at Churchill Downs on the April 30 Kentucky Oaks undercard in the Grade 2, $400,000 La Troienne Stakes, a race often mentioned as a possible next start for Rachel Alexandra.

"You're always looking for the easiest spot you can find for your horses," said Carroll, who trains Careless Jewel for the Donver Stable of Donna and Vern Dubinsky. "There's nothing easy about Rachel. But we are pointing to the La Troienne whether or not she goes."

NTamm1215
04-20-2010, 10:07 PM
They are? They must not read the DRF, because the headline article a few days ago was about Careless Jewel and how she's running in the La Troienne, with or without Rachel.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/112230.html

No, Josie Carroll isn't monitoring every move that Rachel Alexandra makes, but she does have more than a passing interest in where the superstar filly shows up next.
That's because Carroll intends to have Careless Jewel make her 4-year-old debut at Churchill Downs on the April 30 Kentucky Oaks undercard in the Grade 2, $400,000 La Troienne Stakes, a race often mentioned as a possible next start for Rachel Alexandra.

"You're always looking for the easiest spot you can find for your horses," said Carroll, who trains Careless Jewel for the Donver Stable of Donna and Vern Dubinsky. "There's nothing easy about Rachel. But we are pointing to the La Troienne whether or not she goes."

And Josie Carroll's win rate of 9% with an ROI of $0.84 with horses coming off 150+ day layoffs is quite scary as well.

NT

PaceAdvantage
04-20-2010, 11:34 PM
What criticism are you talking about? They'll make up their mind to race her at the last minute. They want to make sure she's ready to race and that she came out of her last workout in peak condition.That's not the way I read it...apologies if I misunderstood.

DRIVEWAY
04-21-2010, 08:55 AM
That's not the way I read it...apologies if I misunderstood.

Have a nice day.

DRIVEWAY
04-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Rachel Alexandra appears likely for the La Troienne. Should enhance the Kentucky Oaks undercard.

Jackson and company get to share in the spotlight once again.

PaceAdvantage
04-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Just wondering...does this qualify as entering at the last minute? What does that really mean anyway? I don't think you really addressed that...

Can you give examples of Rachel being entered at the last minute and why this strategy was used (if indeed you can come up with examples).

the little guy
04-24-2010, 08:48 PM
In theory, don't they always enter at the last minute?

Who didn't think Rachel was running in this race? If you're out there, I have a bridge I want to sell you.

PaceAdvantage
04-24-2010, 09:03 PM
In theory, don't they always enter at the last minute?Some more last minute than others... :lol:

Relwob Owner
04-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Some more last minute than others... :lol:

Hey Pace....being totally genuine here....after the last race, there was a lot of debate about the importance and relative perspective of RA's loss and the effect that her layoff, fitness, etc may have had. That being said, do you think that this race should be viewed as a much better overall gauge of her current fitness and talent level than the last? I would say a definite yes but as you are one of RA's biggest fans and closest followers, I am anxious to hear your expectations and thoughts of her upcoming race.

FenceBored
04-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Patented Asmussen 4-in-50-just-before-a-race this morning.

born2ride
04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey Pace....being totally genuine here....after the last race, there was a lot of debate about the importance and relative perspective of RA's loss and the effect that her layoff, fitness, etc may have had. That being said, do you think that this race should be viewed as a much better overall gauge of her current fitness and talent level than the last? I would say a definite yes but as you are one of RA's biggest fans and closest followers, I am anxious to hear your expectations and thoughts of her upcoming race.

I'm not PA, but I'll answer for ya while you wait for his response!

Her current works are close to where she was at pre-Oaks, so yes this race will be a far better gauge of her overall fitness and ability. IMO she is sitting on a big effort. Mike Welsch thinks she's close to her pre-Oaks works too http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/a-closer-look-at-the-derby-crop/ Asmussen is letting Rachel run in her typical style, a la last year's winning style, I bet we'll see her put on a show in the LT and possibly overshadow the Derby. Again.

Tom
04-26-2010, 09:42 PM
I have seen a lot of gate scratches......is there such a thing as a gate-entry? :lol:

Jock wears a hoodie pulled up, colors are all black, she is announced as from "parts unknown."

All I wanna know is what' the over/under.....10 lengths, 15?

FenceBored
04-27-2010, 07:55 AM
I have seen a lot of gate scratches......is there such a thing as a gate-entry? :lol:

Jock wears a hoodie pulled up, colors are all black, she is announced as from "parts unknown."

All I wanna know is what' the over/under.....10 lengths, 15?

Gotta have blinkers.

joanied
04-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Patented Asmussen 4-in-50-just-before-a-race this morning.

And Rachel didn't look too happy about having to go that slow...I just hope they let her run her race on Friday...no more playing head games with her!