PDA

View Full Version : A bit tiresome

Dave Schwartz
07-17-2003, 04:49 PM
I've been a member of PaceAdvantage for quite some time and it has become a big part of my life. In fact, I check the BBS several times per day... Heck, I usually check it several times per hour!

Today my wife came in and pointed out how much time I spend here and questioned that I was still enjoying it. The truth is, I am not.

Of late, it has become very unpleasant because there are simply more negative posters here than positive. If I'm not defending myself I am defending someone else. Frankly, it is becoming a bit tiresome.

It appears to me that the general theme of the PA board has become one of adversarial relationships. That is at odds with my core belief system. I am not comfortable with this whole thrust-and-parry cyber world we have created. Life is too short.

The current thread of contention is about the "contest." I think this is a good idea. If it ever comes together, schedule permitting, I will likely be a part of it.

In the meantime, I am going to take some time away from here to recharge my batteries a bit. I will miss the majority of you.

Catch some winners.

Warm Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2003, 05:05 PM
I agree with you.....sadly.

lousycapper
07-17-2003, 05:06 PM
"Take care... we await your return!"

Best of everything,

-L.C.

kitts
07-17-2003, 06:57 PM
I'm inclined to agree. We shall eagerly await your return.

so.cal.fan
07-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Good racin' to you, Dave.
Wish I could get up around the Lake Tahoe area this summer, it is paradise up there!

Figman
07-17-2003, 09:32 PM
Dave,
Hope your get a "quick-charge" to your batteries. I've been around this game a long time - over 50 years - and am smart enough to know you can always learn something new. On this board much of what I have learned new the past few seasons was authored by you! Good luck.

alysheba88
07-17-2003, 10:53 PM
I have only been here a short time, but one of the things that keeps me coming back is the general LACK of acrimony. Have seen far fewer pissing matches on this forum then on most other forums. Sure things flare up once in a while, but again I think there is little feuding going on here, certainly nothing disruptive that I have seen. I dont read every thread though. I just quickely went through that Contest thread and to be honest I did not see any real mean spirited stuff going on. Maybe at the end it got a little rougher but I saw people expressing different opinions. Nothing more. Lets face it, all us horseplayers have egos. We would play something else if we didnt. We sometimes think we are better than each other. We have to think that way to some degree in the parimutuel game. I hope Dave reconsiders.

mezmac
07-17-2003, 10:54 PM
I will miss your clear and honest thoughts. We have never met except through this discussion board but I believe you are a good soul. Peace be with you.

Jaguar
07-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Dave, hang in there and come back quick and share some of your handicapping insights. I love to learn... From an old Thorobrain user.

By the way, ponder this on your vacation, do you have any thoughts about the new nets, training on 5 horses at a time, or even this mysterious "factor" which RaceCom and one other developer are using to screen entrants in a horse race?

This is a new algorithm, used to separate the wheat from the chaff- before the remaining horses are subject to a handicapping full-bore analysis.

My earliest thought, as a veteran RaceCom user of their previous discs, is that this factor relates to consistency- perhaps on the order of using linear regression to survey the impact of consistency, which results would be sloped, resulting in animals which score too far off the mean to be dumped as potential winners.

In other words, I'm completely in the dark and just guessing. Joe Shepard says they discovered this technique recently and that its use has been pure dynamite for them.

The other developer won't even discuss it, though he makes a very cursory reference to it and its effectiveness.

It's annoying that I can't discern just what the heck this darn thing is.

All the best,

Jaguar

Trijack
07-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Dave

I also enjoy your posts even though I am an Always user. You seem to have a good horse racing program but I have been using Always for many years and I would just hate to try to learn another program as I do good with what I have now. I try to look at every post positive to see if I can learn something new and I have been at this game since the 50's. It does seem like some posters just like to rile people. That probably why I have only posted about 120 times over the years. Will be looking forward to meeting you at Saratoga.

Kentucky Bred
07-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Dave:

I echo the setiments of the posters on this thread. First, with 1347 posts, you DESERVE a break. That is a lot of giving... it takes time to write.

You should be congratulated though for the way you represent your fine product without losing yourself in it. I'm sure many people have found you and your services through this site. I bought a couple of books from you and found them very insightful. So, that's a good thing. I wish every vendor would learn that.

I have to agree with Alysheba88. When considering that many people speak here anonomously, I'm suprised and really happy that there are not more jerks around. Overall IMO, a great bunch of people here.

Don't be long.

Kentucky Bred

cj
07-17-2003, 11:37 PM
Dave.

You'll still be at Saratoga, right?

karlskorner
07-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Of the 897 members, how many have just faded away and not even bothered to say adios

Suff
07-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Dave.

You'll still be at Saratoga, right?

He's all set.... Its you I'm worried about.....

Suff
07-18-2003, 09:33 AM
By the way... I'm like Dave. PAceadvanatge is my KEY www site for horse racing. I have it open all day as I handicapp and play, I post alot. But here's a litte trick I used once or twice when I was feeling like

"these people suck"

I delete all my Cookies,,,and I roam around the site for a few days as a Guest. I don't post... I just read...or not. Its kind off like taking a step back and a few deep breaths.

Then I realize it's probably me....taking things to serious.

Larry Hamilton
07-18-2003, 10:24 AM
I should leave too as my ignore button makes most threads unreadable.

Show Me the Wire
07-18-2003, 10:30 AM
Larry:

I agree the ignore button does result in losing the flavor of the string.

You will be sorely missed too if you leave. After your break come back.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

so.cal.fan
07-18-2003, 11:11 AM
Dave,
If you are reading this........you'll see we have a message for you............
WE LIKE YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Show Me the Wire
07-18-2003, 11:49 AM
To Everybody:

I like EVERYBODY , even that Korner guy.

I will miss you all, I left the board once before without fanfare, so this time I am jumping on the bandwagon and announcing I should leave too.

I do not want to talk about magnets and I should know (no?) better than to discuss politics and religion, with pinheads ( I do not know what jockeys have to do with those subjects, as pinheads is slang for jocks, but this is a horse racing discussion board)

Tom, if you read this you should feel bad, becuase you baited me to discuss magnets. I view this is a personal attack as I do not understand why Tom wnats me to pontificate on magnets. So it must truly be an insult

Now if Tom wanted to talk about magnetism, I would understand becuase I think there is an abudance of magnetic personalities populating this board and I really enjoy Tom's avatar. But magnets that subject is too much for me, just too much.

As always,

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

Bruddah
07-18-2003, 01:16 PM
There is a small group of you who cause disention with your egos and know it all attitudes. No one knows anything or can contribute ideas and opinions without being being mobbed by this small group of psuedo intellectuals. Their posts are loaded with derision of the other person and chest pounding.

I respect Dave Schwartz and Larry Hamilton who take assinine poundings from this group but somehow manage to continue to post information of value to the rest of us. I also respect PA for taking the trash bashing he gets from a bunch of ungrateful, selfish a**hole*. It's his dollar which allows you guys to pontificate and read your tripe in print. It's his time you waste and his site you trash. So what if he edits a few threads he thinks that have strayed or gone bad. You knew the rules. You don't like it, then this country affords you the opportunity to try and do better. In other words, put your money where your mouth is. Go build your own site and see how much fun its. I am willing to bet you see the otherside of the coin very quickly.
Personally, I hope all of the real intellectuals, and you know who you are, STAY. Continue to support PA and an informative horse racing site. It's some of the others which need to take a long hiatus from the board. JMH two cents worth.

Wheeeeeew! That felt good to get off my chest.

JustMissed
07-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Maybe PA would let us start voting people off the board like they do on the reality shows like Survivor and Big Brother.

Every week we could nominate two or three a**holes, give them a post to state their case as to why they should not be kicked off and then vote for one to be banned for three months.

This could be put into a separate subject area so it might keep the egos entertained long enough to free up the handicapping and general racing areas free for constructive and positive interchange.

Just a thought,

JustMissed

Storm Cadet
07-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Don't be gone too long!

Hey SMTW...Take a break...get recharged...people like you and VetScratch and Sufferindowns are the main reasons I keep coming back ...to learn from people that KNOW and CARE about the Game!

Have a good weekend !!!

Storm Cadet!!!

so.cal.fan
07-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Dave and SMTW:

Both of you guys are too cool to leave our board........Dave needs a time out.......he'll be back.....
SMTW was obviously just "spoofing" us as usual.......he probably has to go drop a claim at Arlington Park......so he won't be back......until......tomorrow! LOL

We are all handicappers, and we should respect each other's views......on the Racing.....Handicapping.....Software.....boards, now on OFF TOPIC........PA is been really cool to let us rant and ramble our right-wing.....left-wing BS........post jokes, some good, some bad, some in questionable taste..........PA is VERY LIBERAL(especially for a REPUBLICAN) with us on that board, and we really appreciate that!
Let's hear it for PA! You are the KING.
And Bruddah makes a good point.......LET'S BE REALLY NICE TO PA....or HE MAY LEAVE THE BOARD!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

PaceAdvantage
07-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by JustMissed
Maybe PA would let us start voting people off the board like they do on the reality shows like Survivor and Big Brother.

I really, really, REALLY like that idea....don't tempt me!! LOL

JustRalph
07-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
I really, really, REALLY like that idea....don't tempt me!! LOL

Immunity challenges are won by longest priced winner of the week......

Amazin
07-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Buddrah

Before you get too righteous you may want to get your facts straight.From what I hear Dave saying he's reffering to the "software contest" thread in the Hadicapping Software section which generated 159 posts in less than a week.Dave said here:

"The current thread of contention is about the "contest."

Instead of sticking to the facts,you start bitching about my thread "PA Closing Threads".Don't start blaming me for Dave going into temporary retirement when he specifically is reffering to another thread that had nothing to do with my thread.

gino
07-18-2003, 06:52 PM
if we go to the vote thing, how about web cams and streaming videos....maybe a live feed to the folks at the track, so they could see Sufferin' in his boxers, betting, watching the ballgame, eating ice cream, etc,.....the resultant stampede from racing venues across the country would probably cost Cliff Goodrich his job, altho Free might be able to use him...nice visual: A snake holding a "snake"...plus i'm dying to see Amazin's "office"...
gino
always thinking

Tom
07-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Show Me the Wire
To Everybody:

Tom, if you read this you should feel bad, becuase you baited me to discuss magnets. I view this is a personal attack as I do not understand why Tom wnats me to pontificate on magnets. So it must truly be an insult

Now if Tom wanted to talk about magnetism, I would understand becuase I think there is an abudance of magnetic personalities populating this board and I really enjoy Tom's avatar. But magnets that subject is too much for me, just too much.

As always,

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

What I was getting at is how ATTRACTIVE you must be!:rolleyes:

VetScratch
07-19-2003, 03:20 AM
LOL - the guy at the door said he didn't have any backscratchers left to sell -- all sold out!:) :) :)

Dave Schwartz
07-29-2003, 03:56 PM
I began this thread a few days ago when I found that hanging out here was becoming quite a struggle for me. I hoped that after a respite I would return refreshed.

After just a couple of days I found it very difficult to stay away. First, I lurked, but did not post, but ultimately I simply missed the community that I have become part of.

Over the last few days, I have been giving this a lot of thought, analyzing the recent past and trying to understand what is happening here.

I realize that any community is made up of many kinds of individuals... some positive, some begative, some successful, some less successful. Some pleasant, some... well, you get the idea. To be part of a community is to take the good with the bad. (And, I am accepting of the fact that some people here might feel that my personal departure would improve things tremendously. You can't please all the people all the time.)

But our community is in trouble.

I'd like to put forth a few assumptions about this board.

1. PA (the person, not the place) is here ostensibly for the same reason that I am: Because he loves racing and the camaraderie that goes with it. He makes nothing from this BBS. In fact, he loses money.

2. Generally speaking, we (as a group) are "wagering enthusiasts" that are joined by a common goal: the desire to achieve more at horse racing than we are now. Secondarily, there may be people that just want to talk (and read) about horse racing without necessarily wanting to "improve themselves."

3. There is a small subset of our membership that seems to thrive on creating turmoil. It is this turmoil that stops the group dead in its tracks and often drives people away. I suggest that the agenda of those members is different than that of the "we" mentioned in the previous paragraph.

4. Since the "naysayers" (as I cqall them) are usually more agressive than the general population, they are "winning," so to speak. We are being driven off one by one.

5. I am convinced that something must be done to stem the tide. Simply put, I am not willing to stand idly by and watch as our community is... destroyed by the naysayers.

The question: "What do we do about it?"

That question does not have an easy answer.

On the one hand, you cannot restrict people from disagreeing with each other. If you did, the board would become "flat" and, ultimately, boring. On the other hand, we simply cannot allow the current trend to continue.

While I don't pretend to have all the answers, I've got a couple of ideas that I'd like to put forth.

First, I'd like to suggest that this BBS needs a "mission" statement. What is the goal of this BBS?

I suggest that PA is a "club" more than a message board. It is (or perhaps should be) a group of like-minded individuals sharing ideas. The key phrase here is "like-minded individuals." That is kind of a requirement for a club. You need to have something in common.

Maybe a better way to put it is that we need to have MORE IN COMMON THAN WE HAVE AT ISSUE with each other. I think this is the basis for the majority of our problems.

I am not referring to speed versus pace, play-until-you-make-daily-profit versus playing all day, or even liberal versus conservative (although that deserves special mention). I am referring to the like-mindedness issue of two distinctly opposed positions: "I'm here to share and learn" versus "I am here to create turmoil."

In my opinion, this board will evolve into one of these two profiles. The two cannot co-exist indefinitely. For now anyway, the "turmoil" group is winning.

As for politics, I think that the war in Iraq did more to divide us than anything else. Even without the impact of the naysayers we have had a division amongst us. Political discussions will always be difficult when tempers flare.

As I write this, conclusion becomes obvious:

1. The naysayers have to go. If you are here to create turmoil, then you are here for the wrong reason. You need to find a place where like-minded people such as yourself can flourish.

2. People whose communication skills cause them to continually lapse into insults and attacks need to go as well. This is anti-social behavior and is unacceptable.

Let these two groups of people go find a new Yahoo someplace else.

Respectfully,
Dave Schwartz

Dave Schwartz
07-29-2003, 04:01 PM
A postcript...

I no longer find it acceptable that PA puts out all his money and gets nothing back.

I am sending him a check today for $25. It's not a lot of money. Just a token of my appreciation for all he has done. And a step towards covering his expenses.

I'd suggest that you send him an email DEMANDING his address and send him a check as well. Even if you are just a lurker.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

BillW
07-29-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
A postcript...

I no longer find it acceptable that PA puts out all his money and gets nothing back.

I am sending him a check today for $25. It's not a lot of money. Just a token of my appreciation for all he has done. And a step towards covering his expenses.

I'd suggest that you send him an email DEMANDING his address and send him a check as well. Even if you are just a lurker.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

I agree. PA we'll talk at the Spa next month (assuming you don't want your address plastered all over the place).

Bill

karlskorner
07-29-2003, 04:37 PM
A couple of statements on the Saratoga post bother me.

One poster stated that a member has a "complete, total and absolute takeover mentality"

Another poster stated "and don't worry about Vet Scratch........she's going to be tossed out of here. And if you or her or anyone else wants to know. I had everything to do with it".

Somehow in my mind, those 2 statements ring the same tune.

Your statment " Naysayers have to go". Who is to decide ?

Will it be the "boys of summer at Saratoga" at their meeting in the tent (sort of reminds me of the Appalachian meeting of the 5 families). Come the end of that meeting and I forsee a lot of changes on this board. There will be the 20 or so members who attended that meeting and the other 890 members, like myself who will be told how it's going to be from here on in.

P.S. Reading Bills's message which got in while I was writing this, sort of proves what I have said. The rules will be made by a few to be obyed by many.

Dave Schwartz
07-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Karl,

"Who is to decide?"

I don't have that answer... I just know that ultimately it comes down to the fact that "they" destroy things by making it "adversarial" around here.

I am not suggesting that this can be legislated. It could be dictacted... with PA as dictator... but that thrusts him into a role he may not enjoy (or be willing to accept).

Our community is deteriorating. How does a society prevent antisocial (but not illegal) behaviors? By choosing to make life socially unpleasant for those who do the behaviors.

How do we make life unpleasant for them? We ignore them. Their posts, while visible, are simply not responded to. And I don't mean just the offensive posts. ALL their posts. Eventually, the majority of them will go away.

Another alternative is for PA to make the decision that someone clearly falls into the "here to create turmoil" category. Then he pulls the plug. Bye-bye.

Dave

Show Me the Wire
07-29-2003, 04:55 PM
I began this thread a few days ago when I found that hanging out here .)

But our community is in trouble.

1. The naysayers have to go. If you are here to create turmoil, then you are here for the wrong reason. You need to find a place where like-minded people such as yourself can flourish.

2. People whose communication skills cause them to continually lapse into insults and attacks need to go as well. This is anti-social behavior and is unacceptable.

Let these two groups of people go find a new Yahoo someplace else.

Respectfully,
Dave Schwartz

Dave:

I disagree. The naysayers do not have to go they only have to be understood for what they are and ignored. If nobody responds to baiting there is no turmoil. Problems should be solved by making changes within youself, if possible, and using self-restraint is a good solution to the subset of trouble makers.

However, certain language and written attacks should be censored, as this is a violation of the agreement we agreed to in order to post on this board.

The problems you wish to go away can go away without the extreme measure of banishment, by using self-restraint. Naysayers and masters of turmoil become fustrated if they are ignored and eventually give up. However, if you try and forceably remove them they will find a way back knowing their presence will advance the agenda of additonal turmoil.

PA does have a mission statement a discussion about the wonderful world of horse racing. I am not here to join a club and I am not necessarily here to improve myself. I am here to talk about horse racing, including but not limited to handicapping, wagering, ownership, the beauty of the sport, its future, etc.

The exchange of ideas is a benefit but should not be the primary goal for participating on this site. I do not know anyone personally and I assume that is the norm for the majority of this board, except for Suff, so why would I look to some internet personality to make me a better handicapper, wagerer, etc.

Also, personally I do not think sellers of any handicapping materials or methods should post about their products on this site unless it is in an advertising section. Having an advertising section would e a good way for PA to raise revenue. I think the posting of products creates more turmoil than any other subject addressed on this board.

This is not to say if PA determines certain individuals as undesirables he should not take any appropriate action. I am expressing my concern about the tyranny of the minority.

FWIW that is my opinion.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

BillW
07-29-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by karlskorner

P.S. Reading Bills's message which got in while I was writing this, sort of proves what I have said. The rules will be made by a few to be obyed by many.

Karl,

I was simply talking about slipping a twenty into PA's pocket, for the expense of a site that I enjoy and learn from. I am going to SAR for a unique opportunity to be there live and handicap a few races with people much more capable than myself. If there are secret meetings going on I certainly have not been told. PA doesn't know me (nor does anyone else) and wouldn't listen to anything I said anyway.

Bill

Suff
07-29-2003, 05:06 PM

Another poster stated "and don't worry about Vet Scratch........she's going to be tossed out of here. And if you or her or anyone else wants to know. I had everything to do with it".

Somehow in my mind, those 2 statements ring the same tune.

I have no idea if she's being Tossed. I was toying with her/him.

I really don't. I feel she f**ks with me... so i was f***king back.

If you call me out... I come out firing. All in fun of course. thats her Fun. Messin with people. I messed back.

Suff
07-29-2003, 05:24 PM

Karl

What I know of PA. No one tells him what to do. He's never solicited my opinion on anything that goes on around here.

And I've probably brought up 2 members in any communication I've had with him. And I've had 100's.

He's like you or I. No one tells him how to go about his business.

Not to say the board will not be discussed... But I honestly doubt if its much and even then..... just overall feedback might be given.

We're going to get away from here for a few days... Not take it with us.

I've been going to Saratoga for a Long time. This boards current temparment is way down on my list of things to do. I go to play the horses.

so.cal.fan
07-29-2003, 05:28 PM
I agree with Dave.

karlskorner
07-29-2003, 05:31 PM
That's the problem, nobody knows if your serious or not. And all the time I thought you were putting a cork in the "dyke"

Suff
07-29-2003, 06:08 PM
I am pretty serious Karl.....

I personally think Fee N easy's take was correct....

But also Karl... True or not has yet to be confirmed but its almost 100% that this Vet scratch is someone that has brought a couple of other boards to the brink of destruction and has been very problematic on this board and other boards with other user names.

If thats the case.... he/she gotta go IMHO...

If she's just a pest ....... Then PA can decide if he wants her...or me or you or anyone to belong to his Board.

If we had a vote... I'd probably get 100 to name me the president and another 100 who'd want a Public Hanging and tar and feather me. It's a function of my posts and my personality.

I agree.... the board need all types to make it work. And I hope everyone can enjoy in Harmony.

I just think thats impossible with certain personalities.

Derek2U
07-29-2003, 06:16 PM
I'm sure lousy & vet & grandpa are the same. Please Budha,
inspire PA to banish them.

Suff
07-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Derek... Your right....

Next subject

are you coming to Saratoga?

Dave Schwartz
07-29-2003, 07:33 PM
SMTW,

You said:

"The problems you wish to go away can go away without the extreme measure of banishment, by using self-restraint. Naysayers and masters of turmoil become fustrated if they are ignored and eventually give up. However, if you try and forceably remove them they will find a way back knowing their presence will advance the agenda of additonal turmoil."

I said:

"How do we make life unpleasant for them? We ignore them. Their posts, while visible, are simply not responded to. And I don't mean just the offensive posts. ALL their posts. Eventually, the majority of them will go away."

I think we are in agreement. I know I agree with you. <G>

Dave

Show Me the Wire
07-29-2003, 07:41 PM
Dave:

I agree with your thoughts in your post to Karl. I was responding to your initial post and through the mechanics of the net I was oblivious to your subsequent post until I posted.

I would not have posted otherwise.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

ljb
07-29-2003, 07:51 PM
I.M.H.O.
On the off topic board when things get rowdy I accept it as a circumstance of the topic(s). On the other boards; General handicapping, Software handicapping, and general racing. When things get rowdy I just stop reading/lurking.
When i first came on this board I was looking for some help in fine tuning the selections made by the program i use. I posted a few notes got a few replies but nothing that could/would help me. My only interest was in improving my roi and in doing so hopefully improving someone elses. I have nothing to sell here. I stumbled on the off topic board and found political discussions. I enjoy these debates/discussions/out and out brawls. But have been chastised by some for my posts. I have subsequently stopped posting on the off topic board. I posted a few black box selections and lurk the other boards. I don't think anybody should be booted. I think we should all just quit responding to those who upset us.

Show Me the Wire
07-29-2003, 07:57 PM
lbj:

You and I do agree on some matters.

As always,

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Amazin
07-29-2003, 08:05 PM
The problem I see is a particular group wants to decide what is and what is not offensive.But just like in real society,other members may find the majority's views as offensive.So there will allways be a struggle when you are dealing with a power issue. The solution is beyond this boards capabilities.

Show Me the Wire
07-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Ooops, I mean ljb, I would never agree with LBJ.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

MarylandPaul@HSH
07-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Show Me the Wire
The naysayers do not have to go they only have to be understood for what they are and ignored. If nobody responds to baiting there is no turmoil. Problems should be solved by making changes within youself, if possible, and using self-restraint is a good solution to the subset of trouble makers.

SMTW, I'd agree with you in principle, but I don't believe it's realistic to expect that people will simply ignore inflammitory remarks. As a whole, we can't help but respond when baited.

I've seen this play out before. I was an active member of a gaming community (Age of Kings, anyone? :) that was literally torn apart by a single individual. In that case, the downfall was in large part due to the lack of a single decision maker. That's not the case here. PA need answer to no one.

It's a tough job being a benevolent king....but sometimes even that king has to put a subject on the rack. Those that don't like that may leave the kingdom, but it's the only way. Committees and tribunals only foster the same kind of "few deciding the fate of many" sentiment that Karl refers to.

Anyone remember the moderated Fidonet BBS message network? While some of the moderators took their roles a bit too seriously, for the most part, those were the most pleasant communities to follow. Threads were kept on topic (with reasonable leeway), and troublemakers were quickly eliminated. I still miss loading up my Bluewave message reader.

Personally, I think eliminating the off-topic section would go a long way. Bad feelings are never completely left there, they have to carry over to other forums.

MP

Tom
07-29-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by BillW
Karl,

I was simply talking about slipping a twenty into PA's pocket, for the expense of a site that I enjoy and learn from. I am going to SAR for a unique opportunity to be there live and handicap a few races with people much more capable than myself. If there are secret meetings going on I certainly have not been told. PA doesn't know me (nor does anyone else) and wouldn't listen to anything I said anyway.

Bill

I am only going to Sartoga to have a good time and meet people I have talked with over the past couple of years. In fact, maybe I will just show up, intorduce myself as Dave Schwartz, get drunk, pick a fight and leave :rolleyes:

Tom
07-29-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Derek2U

Hmmmmm.
Grampa="gramps"
Deja vou all over again.
Nawwwwww.
Couldn't be.
BTW.....remember the Ignore Button?
Just say No.
Any fool can START trouble.....it takes someone else to CONTINUE it.
PA suggested a few months ago we ignore certain people. We didn't, but since it was Off Topic, t seemed a safe place to do battle, or poke fun. But now that it has gotten out here, it is not right. It's not about horses or racing or software.
In the words of Rodney King, :Ow!OW!OW!OOOWWW! Can't we all just get along?? OWWWWWWW!"

:rolleyes:

Tom
07-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Very well put.
You and I will not agree on too many politcal things, and we may spend all day b*tch-slapping each other in the Off Topic section..but out here, we are horse-players, and I will not carry political disagreements into that. This is a horse board first. Second, third.

VetScratch
07-29-2003, 09:44 PM
A postcript...

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
So you "no longer find it acceptable that PA... ," and "We should send PA "an email DEMANDING... ."

Pretty strong stuff, Dave!

Should PA be nervous?

VetScratch
07-29-2003, 10:24 PM
Sufferindowns,
I personally think Fee N easy's take was correct....If You agree with this, you need a rabies shot...ya got no class, itch, you got absolutely no class whatsoever.

You Need To Beat It On Down The Line cause you know what scratch? itch? bitch? ditch? or whatever the fk handle you call yourself, YOU LOSE.

yeah, we have a real loser here folks. a real loser.

dont let this brawd fool ya kids.
she has what is called a complete, total and absolute takeover mentality.
this brawd is wanting to set up her own little throne room here, and that for the gain of her own rule and authority, and that for the purpose of personal dictatorship and that as she seeks to wrest and usurp control of this board out of the hands of the leadership that we have and into her own.
she wants and would like to have control, rule and dictatorship of this board

this brawd has a plan and this kind of discention is the beginning of it.
its classic hitler folks, classic classic hitler, albeit on a smaller less dramatic scale, nevertheless she seeths with envy and responds to that seething envy with disruptive, and spiteful behavior. a form of vengence is certinlly on the mind of this one.

this is not the rantings of a discontented individual here, this is the ravageing wolf you here out there in the chicken coup, satisfying its natural hunger for an evil power to be.

she does not spare folks, she does not spare.

she or he or shehe is a little hitler.

heres what you will do scratch
you will be convinced in your own mind that the knees of all have touched the ground in reverence to your all encompassing awsomeness, and you will gather as many as those that will stand up and side with you.
you will use the weight of their support to strengthen the measures that you will use to usher in and begin your own forum of regulating and dictation and that with the intention that all will fall into and under your control. hence you will have aquired, in this case, your personal seat of power. classic.

you think that you have the men on this board right where you want them, p whopped and eating right out of your doggie bowl.
your a feminist bigot and you have adopted and carefully developed the standard feminist attitude that all men are of a lesser quality then women.

i cant believe you even tried to pull that shit off in some of your earlier posts, oh you know which ones iam talking about. you really stunk it up
i mean that was weak, scratchy, very very very weak. i think you pretty much pointed yourself out, that is for what you are, on that one. your embarassing.

oh and the thing about the prohpelactics, yeah, lets see a big show of hands from all you fun loving guys out there that carry a rubber in their wallet.

i see you promote the idea of having potentially unsafe sex as long as you use a rubber.
hey, its ok, just have sex with a complete stranger, someone you have absolutely no idea as to who the hell they are, and even tho theres still quite a risk involved here, a rubber should be all the caretaker you need in order to protect yourself from dangerously infectious deseases that, hey, maybe your female partner doesent even know she might be carrying.

iam sure you have the kind of lifestyle that calls for the use of a 10 gallon hat full of rubbers, but iam not going to assume that the men on this board are as lax and as haphazardly concerned about their health and their lives as you are and as you assume the men on this board to be.

who the hells star spangeld ass are you trying to kiss up to using that cheap shit greasesy ass flattery?
i think your busted on that one two itchy

and in the end when its all over done with, who knows maybe i'll be all wrong. and if thats the case then in all reality and by all rights all i can think of to say is " if your just as stupid as you sound then your just as stupid as it gets"

and now since iam completely bored with all this bang bang, i guess i'll end it on this last note.

i consider mike a pretty swell guy. as a matter of fact, i love the fuck out of the man, of coarse you wouldnt know what i mean, you dont like the man.

and to prove what a swell guy he is, well you know those 7- 8,000 foot tall towers that he builds for the state of new york? oh thats right, you wouldnt know jack didily piss ass shit about the man, you dont like him so how could i even expect you to know something like that, silly me. back to the facts, as they spin,

well sir, mike even promised to let me bunji jump from atop mind you, from atop one of those hugh and were talking you cant even see the tops of these things there that tall, empire state towers that he gets his kicks out of building.
the guys a little scary truth be told. i mean i dont know about you but i'd be shit'n little green apples working that high up with nothing to grab on to but some clouds and a rainbow.

we've never met, mike and me, but we dont have to
the man does some pretty incredible things. not only with his friends, his family, and the horses he loves, but with his life.

you have no insight to any of these things because sadly your just a selfish person, lost and alone on some long lonesome highway, traveled by many, remembered by few.

i love ya mike and i care about what happens to you and all the rest of the guys on this board. and thats the way it is

so you best just be git'n along on home now girlie-q, because, well i just dont like you.
your a real bladder mouth, not blabber, well your a real blabber mouth too, but i think of your mouth as more of a bladder then anything else, you know what iam saying. a real piss mouth.
Why don't you pay Freeneasy's way to Saratoga and begin collaboration on a book! The market is ripe; everyone is getting weary of L. Ron Hubbard.

lousycapper
07-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Derek2U

=============================

Mr. Derek2U,

:D Are you sure that lousy & vet & grandpa are really one and the same? I'll give you 1/9 odds... BTW, thank you for the vote of confidence. Ha,ha! Why not try contemplating your belly button, eh? :D

HAND

-L.C.

Dave Schwartz
07-29-2003, 11:32 PM
Tom,

You said: "I am only going to Sartoga to have a good time and meet people I have talked with over the past couple of years. In fact, maybe I will just show up, intorduce myself as Dave Schwartz, get drunk, pick a fight and leave "

LOL- I would expect no less from you. <G>

Actually, I expect that there may be any number of imposters there. <G> I will be highly recognizable with my HorseStreet hat and all.

Dave

lousycapper
07-29-2003, 11:39 PM
Ms. VetScratch
SubstituteEnglishTeacher

They swing through the trees
with the greatest of ease
Their bare knuckles hang well
below their knees
So for goodness sakes don't
attempt to appease
Just tell them all to
"drop dead please"

HAND :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

-L.C.

David McKenzie
07-30-2003, 01:25 AM
<G> I will be highly recognizable with my HorseStreet hat and all.

Dave

Hat?

Our team is supposed to get hats el al?

(Waiting ever so patiently :>)

Fastracehorse
07-30-2003, 02:17 AM
At the turn of the 20th Century Modern art was still rooted in portaitures and serene landscapes. The academic community was blissful in it's stasis.

Pablo Picasso attempted to re-invent art - he was chastized by the Art Critics in the early 1900's. For how could collage be deemed Classical Art?? Picasso said it was. How could one replace fine nudes with hideously dis-figured women in a brothel setting?? Picasso did it.

As it was - Picasso became the most prolific and important artist of the 20th C..

Picasso and Einstein had communications. Einstein was problem-solving the space-time continuum in the days Picasso was experimenting with his innovative style Cubism.

Why does the last paragraph have any relevance to this thread??
Well, personally I believe handicapping is a melding between art and science. Henceforth, any discipline might want to see itself as so.

Further, what in the heck does any of this have to do with this thread in general?? Well for one, I loathe the heavy psychological weight of politics.

:) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool:

fffastt

lousycapper
07-30-2003, 02:38 AM

:D Sounds fair to me... Modeled after State and Federal legislators. No anarchy here. Do as we say, folks, or else! Ha Ha! :D

HAND

-L.C.

Show Me the Wire
07-30-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by MarylandPaul@HSH
SMTW, I'd agree with you in principle, but I don't believe it's realistic to expect that people will simply ignore inflammitory remarks. As a whole, we can't help but respond when baited.

If I may answer:

Health or reputation: which is held dearer?

Great Love incurs great expense
and great wealth incurs great fears
but contentment comes at no cost
for who knows when to stop
does not continue into danger
and so long may endure

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

JimG
07-30-2003, 10:39 PM

In the meantime, I am going to take some time away from here to recharge my batteries a bit. I will miss the majority of you.

At 615 posts I am saying good bye to the PaceAdvantage board. I no longer feel my time is well spent here sifting through off topic posts to find something that is related to the subject. This has been coming for awhile and I have been putting it off.

If anyone wants to correspond with me in the future, there is always email.

Jim

Bobby
07-30-2003, 10:58 PM
AS THE WORLD TURNS!!!!!!!!

PaceAdvantage
07-30-2003, 11:46 PM
And just when I thought things were starting to turn the corner....

lousycapper
07-30-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by JimG
At 615 posts I am saying good bye to the PaceAdvantage board. I no longer feel my time is well spent here sifting through off topic posts to find something that is related to the subject. This has been coming for awhile and I have been putting it off.

If anyone wants to correspond with me in the future, there is always email.

Jim

Sorry to see you go... on the otherhand I have never seen so many adults get their nickers in knot over nothing... there's only so much that one can discuss about horse racing without becoming boring and/or redundant. Come on people this is a forum... not a funeral parlor... too serious... lighten up. At ease folks... smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

-L.C. :)

Fastracehorse
07-31-2003, 01:54 AM
<Sorry to see you go... on the otherhand I have never seen so many adults get their nickers in knot over nothing... there's only so much that one can discuss about horse racing without becoming boring and/or redundant. Come on people this is a forum... not a funeral parlor... too serious... lighten up. At ease folks... smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just to clarify: The above is what Grandpa sez right??

fffastt

:) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool:

lousycapper
07-31-2003, 02:06 AM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just to clarify: The above is what Grandpa sez right??

fffastt

:) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool: [/B][/QUOTE]

Nope! He's asleep!

HAND

-L.C. :)

Handy Cap
07-31-2003, 02:29 AM
Did I stumble upon the teen pace advantage website here? If your gonna leave, leave!!! Dont pretend that leaving a message board is one of the most important decisions in your damn life. GROW UP!!!

PaceAdvantage
07-31-2003, 02:31 AM
Grampa sez:

"Time to go to sleep now little man....."