PDA

View Full Version : Today was a really fun day

cees with dees
04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
My dad is home in Florida recovering from a fractured hip and just this past December he survived his wife who died after a long battle with cancer.
He called this morning to tell me he bought the paper and would like me to put in some plays for him at Gulfstream and let him hear the race calls over the phone.
Like he had to ask.
So, I played Aqueduct and he handled Gulfstream and he came up with two beautiful winners, one a 7/1 shot and he caught the exacta for $4 that paid $200 and change and then had a another turf winner that paid $25.
I caught a couple of things in Ny but the winning was gravy.
My dad was able to focus and forget some of the pain he's been through and though it was only a few hours, I'm so glad that we did it.
He is in no need of money whatsoever but to be able to have some constructive fun and be able to not be sad for a few hours is right now the best thing for him.
Just wanted to share that because I love my father and he taught me so much about handicapping and just to have something in common where we can talk to each others as equals is awesome.
Take care all.
Ben

bisket
04-10-2010, 07:26 PM
yes handicapping was a family affair with me also. my father, grandfather, and uncle taught me to handicap. my uncle was one of the best handicappers i've ever come across. he wasn't a big money player, but he was always well in the black. it was entertainment to him, and i play the game in the same fashion as him. its an entertaining hobby that i'm very passionate about. thanks for sharing this with us, and i hope and pray your father gets back on his feet. :ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

tzipi
04-10-2010, 08:47 PM
:ThmbUp: also.

Marshall Bennett
04-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Ditto.... :ThmbUp:

shouldacoulda
04-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Same here too. When my dad passed I took mom to Belmont on "free hat day".
She wound up winning a couple of bucks and my "free hat" only cost me $154.00. But it was a good day anyway.