PDA

View Full Version : Haskins giving Rachel her due...

joanied
04-10-2010, 06:52 PM
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2010/04/10/a-world-of-their-own.aspx

IMO, one of Haskin's better stories...basically, what he is saying is not to forget about Rachel while everyone is basking in the limelight we call Zenyatta...and it struck me that maybe I am not the only one wondering about, and pineing for...Rachel.
I don't know what in hell is going on in her camp, but I really think it'd be a very good thing if Jackson would get public and tell us something...anything...he isn't doing Rachel, her fans or the sport any good by keeping himself behind closed doors.
Inquiring minds want to know:jump:

Fager Fan
04-10-2010, 06:58 PM
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2010/04/10/a-world-of-their-own.aspx

IMO, one of Haskin's better stories...basically, what he is saying is not to forget about Rachel while everyone is basking in the limelight we call Zenyatta...and it struck me that maybe I am not the only one wondering about, and pineing for...Rachel.
I don't know what in hell is going on in her camp, but I really think it'd be a very good thing if Jackson would get public and tell us something...anything...he isn't doing Rachel, her fans or the sport any good by keeping himself behind closed doors.
Inquiring minds want to know:jump:

Every time Jess makes a statement, he's criticized for doing so.

The horse is working every week. She just arrived at Churchill recently. They'll decide which race to enter her in when they decide she's ready. There's really not much to say.

04/05/2010 CD 5F 1:00.20 Dirt Fast B
03/29/2010 FG 5F 1:03.20 Dirt Fast B
03/22/2010 FG 4F :50.40 Dirt Fast B
03/08/2010 FG 4F :49.00 Dirt Fast B
03/02/2010 FG 6F 1:13.60 Dirt Fast B
02/24/2010 FG 6F 1:14.00 Dirt Fast B
02/18/2010 FG 5F 1:00.20 Dirt Fast B
02/12/2010 FG 5F 1:03.80 Dirt Sloppy B
02/06/2010 FG 4F :50.60 Dirt Fast B
01/31/2010 FG 4F :52.00 Dirt Fast B

joanied
04-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Every time Jess makes a statement, he's criticized for doing so.

The horse is working every week. She just arrived at Churchill recently. They'll decide which race to enter her in when they decide she's ready. There's really not much to say.

04/05/2010 CD 5F 1:00.20 Dirt Fast B
03/29/2010 FG 5F 1:03.20 Dirt Fast B
03/22/2010 FG 4F :50.40 Dirt Fast B
03/08/2010 FG 4F :49.00 Dirt Fast B
03/02/2010 FG 6F 1:13.60 Dirt Fast B
02/24/2010 FG 6F 1:14.00 Dirt Fast B
02/18/2010 FG 5F 1:00.20 Dirt Fast B
02/12/2010 FG 5F 1:03.80 Dirt Sloppy B
02/06/2010 FG 4F :50.60 Dirt Fast B
01/31/2010 FG 4F :52.00 Dirt Fast B

I'm not sure why you opened with that sentence...Haskin's didn't criticize JJ...in fact, IMO, it was a good thing to write that article...I sure don't want Rachel so far under the radar, as she has been of late... it would just be nice, IMO, if he would make a statement as to how Rachel is doing and what the plans MIGHT be...and also to congratulate Zenyatta's connections on her 16th win.
And we all know Rachel is training...I saw the same work tab you posted here...and needless to say, they will decide when she's ready...DUH...that is a no brainer!!
:)

Fager Fan
04-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure why you opened with that sentence...Haskin's didn't criticize JJ...in fact, IMO, it was a good thing to write that article...I sure don't want Rachel so far under the radar, as she has been of late... it would just be nice, IMO, if he would make a statement as to how Rachel is doing and what the plans MIGHT be...and also to congratulate Zenyatta's connections on her 16th win.
And we all know Rachel is training...I saw the same work tab you posted here...and needless to say, they will decide when she's ready...DUH...that is a no brainer!!
:)

I don't mean Haskin -- I mean fans. I've never heard an owner attacked more than Jackson has been. Every time he had a press conference, he was attacked for being "Mr. Ego" or such nonsense. It's tiring to hear a man beaten as he's been beaten, and all for no good reason.

bisket
04-10-2010, 08:58 PM
funny thing is the same thing happens to moss because he didn't come east last year.

bisket
04-10-2010, 09:04 PM
joanied i would really like to see rachel having fun again on the track. she needs to be left alone, and allowed to run like she wants. thats all that needs to happen to get her back to where she was last year. its so much fun to see a horse running to the abilities that she has. its obvious she just loves to run because you would see that 46 second 1/2 in alot of her works last year, the same time for her first 1/2 mile during the race. seeing this time on a regular basis in her works told me she was having just as much fun in the mornings as in her races.

PaceAdvantage
04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't mean Haskin -- I mean fans. I've never heard an owner attacked more than Jackson has been. Every time he had a press conference, he was attacked for being "Mr. Ego" or such nonsense. It's tiring to hear a man beaten as he's been beaten, and all for no good reason.It's weird too, because every time I hear him talk, he's talking about what would be best for the good of the game.

I personally do not understand why people dislike this man. Oh wait. I know what it is. He likes to buy good horses in training off of folks who don't have big names.

So people see this as unfair somehow...him buying the dreams of the lesser folks and taking them away from them...they somehow forget the millions of dollars these folks get in exchange for their horses (a dream in and of itself).

Look, these smaller guys, like Hal Wiggins and former owner Dolphus Morrison (don't cry for him too much...he's President of SMI Steel in Alabama), didn't have to sell to Jackson. But they did. And they were rewarded handsomely.

I got on Jess Jackson's case when he was running Curlin...I criticized the guy and thought that it was a little untrue that he claimed he was running Curlin for the fans...I thought he was running Curlin because the legal issues of his owners and former owners had caused a little trouble in trying to secure a stud deal for him...thus they had little choice but to keep him in training.

But after seeing what he did with Rachel...running her in the Preakness, Haskell and Woodward...I have no doubt that this man should be lauded for his competitive spirit and his desire to run the best against the best.

That's why I have little doubt that Rachel will one day run against Zenyatta.

Fager Fan
04-10-2010, 09:19 PM
It's weird too, because every time I hear him talk, he's talking about what would be best for the good of the game.

I personally do not understand why people dislike this man. Oh wait. I know what it is. He likes to buy good horses in training off of folks who don't have big names.

So people see this as unfair somehow...him buying the dreams of the lesser folks and taking them away from them...they somehow forget the millions of dollars these folks get in exchange for their horses (a dream in and of itself).

Look, these smaller guys, like Hal Wiggins and former owner Dolphus Morrison (don't cry for him too much...he's President of SMI Steel in Alabama), didn't have to sell to Jackson. But they did. And they were rewarded handsomely.

I got on Jess Jackson's case when he was running Curlin...I criticized the guy and thought that it was a little untrue that he claimed he was running Curlin for the fans...I thought he was running Curlin because the legal issues of his owners and former owners had caused a little trouble in trying to secure a stud deal for him...thus they had little choice but to keep him in training.

But after seeing what he did with Rachel...running her in the Preakness, Haskell and Woodward...I have no doubt that this man should be lauded for his competitive spirit and his desire to run the best against the best.

Good post, Pace.

And may I be so fortunate for him to buy a horse off me.

I never believed that he was running Curlin because he had to, because, well, he didn't have to. It's true that the horse may've been unsellable to a stud farm, but there was nothing stopping Jackson from retiring him to stud at his own farm and hiring all the needed people to start a stallion operation.

nijinski
04-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Rachel is very different in personality than Zenyatta.

I think they have to walk on eggshells a little more and as said
before she will let them know when she is ready and they
are approaching her future with patience it appears.

joanied
04-11-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't mean Haskin -- I mean fans. I've never heard an owner attacked more than Jackson has been. Every time he had a press conference, he was attacked for being "Mr. Ego" or such nonsense. It's tiring to hear a man beaten as he's been beaten, and all for no good reason.

OH. Then, yes, JJ has been attacked many times, but so has many other trainers/owners, even jockeys...so I would have to agreed with that...I just thought you were saying that Haskins was attacking him in the article.

I won't deny Jackson his 'ego' anyway...you don't get to where he is in life without having some ego...same as any other person that achieves so much, ego plays a part...maybe a better word would be confidence...having the self confidence to go the extra mile and do things others are affriad to do...and all that is good...in life and certainly in racing.

Pace wrote a good post to this...he covered it pretty well, IMO :) ...especially about JJ buying Rachel...or any owner doing this...they are not twisting anyones arm to sell a horse...money talks, and there are offers you can't refuse...if they don't want to sell, they will say no to any amount of money...like Mr. Aielo (I'm not spelling that right) with Lost in the Fog...he was offered tons of money, but turned it down because he wanted to keep his horse...and to do that is, well...priceless!!

Bruddah
04-11-2010, 12:44 PM
It's weird too, because every time I hear him talk, he's talking about what would be best for the good of the game.

Bada Bing! and an Amen Bruddah!

After I read this, I had to open the window and see if the world had come to an end. Who knew?? PA and I could agree on something a 100%.

Buckeye
04-11-2010, 02:22 PM
they will decide when she's ready!

no SHE will decide that.

joanied
04-11-2010, 04:13 PM
no SHE will decide that.

Ah, yes... indeed SHE will....wish she'd hurry it up a bit;) :D

bisket
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
ieah and jackson have brought the claiming game to the highest levels of the sport, and the breeders don't like it one bit. all that money going to small operators that have trained and run a horse into the top level and then getting the payday that normally goes to big breeders. i think its a positive development because i believe breeders rob the sport of dollars that should be used to make life a little easier on trainers and ownership. owning a thoroughbred thats racing is a much riskier proposition than breeding them, but the spoils go mostly to the breeders. in most fiduciary relationships the party that excepts the risk gets the bigger payday. in horse racing its bass ackwards. i think jackson is being pretty smart with his money because he's buying a known product, and not paying much more than he would collectively at the sales. he'd be lucky to come up with one horse with the ability of curlin and rachel in 20-30 years buying them at the sales. he's paid about the same for a known product as he would for the "top prospect" at keenland in years past. ieah and and jackson are spending smartly, and the game would be better if others followed suit

nijinski
04-11-2010, 07:59 PM
no SHE will decide that.

She is telling that to Steve A .