PDA

View Full Version : Gary Stevens crying talking about Point Given

Zippy Chippy
04-10-2010, 05:21 PM
What a great moment that was. Shows how attached they get to these athletes. You can tell he really feels like he cost him the Triple Crown.

joanied
04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Zippy... I started crying with him...that really got to me and I hope folks watching that just don't understand how we feel about the horses can see how emotional it all is...Gary was right, IMO...he was the best horse not to win the TC.
Very touching.

Spalding No!
04-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Gary was right, IMO...he was the best horse not to win the TC.
Very touching.

Confined to those who ran in all 3:

Native Dancer
Spectacular Bid

tzipi
04-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Saw that too. You could see how bad he felt that he cost Point Given the TC with his ride.

Zippy Chippy
04-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Time goes by so fast. I nearly fell off the couch when he said thunder gulch was 18 yo

joanied
04-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Yeah...he has talked about that before...that he screwed up with PG in the Derby and it still haunts him...I can't imagine how these guys move on when they mess up like that...especially because they deny a horse a place in the history books...like Kent D with Real Quiet...jeeze, how do you find a way to get over loosing the TC by a short nose... and with Gary, it happened to him twice...with Silver Charm in the Belmont...not that he did anything wrong that day...great ride...but he just knew he had it, then that SOB comes charging in the middle of the track...aaarrgghh!!

jognlope
04-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I was about 5 feet from Gary when he won Belmont on Point given, really shined in the winner's circle in his green silks. It was amazing.

tzipi
04-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Time goes by so fast. I nearly fell off the couch when he said thunder gulch was 18 yo

I can't believe Cigar is 20 yrs old :eek: . Time flies.

GaryG
04-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Baffert said it was his fault because he was training for the TC and not the derby. I saw him at Monmouth in the Haskell and he did not look like the monster from the Preakness and Belmont. A shame that he missed the TC.

Zippy Chippy
04-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah...he has talked about that before...that he screwed up with PG in the Derby and it still haunts him...I can't imagine how these guys move on when they mess up like that...especially because they deny a horse a place in the history books...like Kent D with Real Quiet...jeeze, how do you find a way to get over loosing the TC by a short nose... and with Gary, it happened to him twice...with Silver Charm in the Belmont...not that he did anything wrong that day...great ride...but he just knew he had it, then that SOB comes charging in the middle of the track...aaarrgghh!!

I have no idea jockeys could ever get over that. I always felt that songandaprayer ruined that race

joanied
04-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Baffert said it was his fault because he was training for the TC and not the derby. I saw him at Monmouth in the Haskell and he did not look like the monster from the Preakness and Belmont. A shame that he missed the TC.

That's because Baffert is a class guy...at any rate...couda, woulda, shoulda, eh!!

miesque
04-10-2010, 06:28 PM
I actually thought it quite prescient for them to show Point Given and Gary Stevens because that is exactly the horse that is on my mind when I think about Eskendereya and the Derby ever since the Wood. A horse coming in off two dominating preps who will be stalking a pace that is almost certain to be way too fast based on how this Derby is shaping up in terms of running style.