PDA

View Full Version : Not enough jockeys at Hastings

46zilzal
04-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Just talked to a Hastings steward last night and there are only 12 riders in the jockey colony here. "If anyone gets hurt, we are screwed!"

Alan Cuthbertson has been banned, Gary Cruise did not come back from Ontario, Giovanni Franco remained in Mexico, Stephanie Fedora's shoulder surgery did not work out, Mark Waller retired (again), Dave Wilson DID get over his late season pancreatitis attack, Pedro Alvarado did heal from bilateral collarbone fractures suffered late last August, Perez (the leading rider) has returned, but it is going to be interesting to say the least..

But then who wants to ride just two days a week?

Igeteven
04-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Just talked to a Hastings steward last night and there are only 12 riders in the jockey colony here. "If anyone gets hurt, we are screwed!"

Alan Cuthbertson has been banned, Gary Cruise did not come back from Ontario, Giovanni Franco remained in Mexico, Stephanie Fedora's shoulder surgery did not work out, Mark Waller retired (again), Dave Wilson DID get over his late season pancreatitis attack, Pedro Alvarado did heal from bilateral collarbone fractures suffered late last August, Perez (the leading rider) has returned, but it is going to be interesting to say the least..

But then who wants to ride just two days a week?

What the hell is going on there?, are they making any money?

46zilzal
04-10-2010, 11:53 AM
What the hell is going on there?, are they making any money?
The top five riders are.

therussmeister
04-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Several years ago, late in the meet, they had to scratch horses because there weren't enough jockeys. I guess many jockeys left before the end of meet.The following year the track started paying jockeys $400/week to stick around.

LottaKash
04-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Imo, this is "another-symptom" of the changing face of modern-day horseracing...

This condition, ties in with the decline of available "sound" racehorses, lack of new owners, and the "same-old, sameold" mindset of the tracks of today...

Imo, as things stand, there is just too much racing going on simultaneously throughout the nation, and the shortages of all of the above are beginning to show in tell-tale proportions, and it will only degenarate further from hereon, if some new thinking isn't done, and soon...

What will have to happen to stem the tide, I am not sure....But something must change before "quality" racing dies out completely...

The "Grand-Shakeout" in hoss' racin' has begun...I believe this...

best,

turfnsport
04-10-2010, 03:01 PM
How about we get some cash together and pay to send Pablo "No Go" Frogoso north?

deathandgravity
04-10-2010, 07:06 PM
They can give me a call? About 1 1/2 hrs South in Seattle. But.. not sure the Tote Board @ Hastings can show +70 overweight?

Run Nicholas Run
04-10-2010, 09:20 PM
there are plenty of spanks that ride the arizona fairs and idaho fairs
that would be willing to go, even reed saldana left 'zona to ride there
last season.

Skanoochies
04-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Bring back Johnson, Loseth, Krasner, Patzer, hell one of them might win the riding title. :lol:

By the way 46` what ever happened to Buford Mills? Talk about a talented rider that had some demons. What a shame. :confused:

Dave Schwartz
04-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, this is certainly MY big chance. I've always wanted to jockey... nevermind that the only time I ever rode a TBred the wind whistled so loud in my ears and I just hung on for dear life.

And contrary to what people say, size does matter. I'll probably only be able to ride in sprints. :lol:

Greyfox
04-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Well, this is certainly MY big chance. I've always wanted to jockey... nevermind that the only time I ever rode a TBred the wind whistled so loud in my ears and I just hung on for dear life.

And contrary to what people say, size does matter. I'll probably only be able to ride in sprints. :lol:

Slim. Did the horse live after that ride?

Greyfox
04-10-2010, 11:02 PM
What famous poster on this board has been quoted as saying? :

"Jockeys are just passengers."

If so, with Vancouver being a western Canadian city, with a huge Oriental-Asian population,there should be many "passengers" who could fill the bill within the weight and age and physicality requirements of a jockey. What's the problem Zilly?

macguy
04-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Why did Alan Cuthbertson get banned?

46zilzal
04-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Bring back Johnson, Loseth, Krasner, Patzer, hell one of them might win the riding title.

By the way 46` what ever happened to Buford Mills? Talk about a talented rider that had some demons. What a shame. :confused:
NOSE CANDY,,,a good rider .

Loseth gained 25 pounds and trains with his wife, Johnson is a real estate agent (brianj@sutton.com), Patzer was involved in a murder investigation and can't make weight

46zilzal
04-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Why did Alan Cuthbertson get banned?

He first had to do a long long penance for drug positives by riding clean for many seasons at Assiniboia.

He came in had a big day (two stakes ) and then was not heard from (he had many mounts the next day) for a good many days...THIS was not the first time he left his owners high and dry.

46zilzal
04-11-2010, 02:26 AM
What famous poster on this board has been quoted as saying? :

"Jockeys are just passengers."

If so, with Vancouver being a western Canadian city, with a huge Oriental-Asian population,there should be many "passengers" who could fill the bill within the weight and age and physicality requirements of a jockey. What's the problem Zilly?
I agree with that 100%....They cannot make them better but theoretically can only make them worse with very very few exceptions on par with prodogies like Pincay, Shoe and currently Ramon Dominguez

Greyfox
04-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I agree with that 100%....They cannot make them better but theoretically can only make them worse with very very few exceptions on par with prodogies like Pincay, Shoe and currently Ramon Dominguez

I give you credit for admitting to that belief.
Unfortunately, I'd say you are wrong.
Some jockeys are better than others. They are more than passengers.
It's my own belief that all professions and trades people fall along a
Gaussian distribution pattern with respect to their peers.
Good surgeons and poor surgeons, good carpenters and poor carpenters and so on. With that belief in mind, I would find it strange that jockeys abilities wouldn't separated in a similar manner along a Bell curve.

46zilzal
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I have never denied some riders are better than others, BUT even the best of the best do not represent any more than a 15% change in the horse's chances AT BEST...The horse runs, the rider rides.

Greyfox
04-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I have never denied some riders are better than others, BUT even the best of the best do not represent any more than a 15% change in the horse's chances AT BEST...The horse runs, the rider rides.

Thank you for clarifying that. I think that anything that can increase a runner's chances to be in the money would have to be huge for any owner and bettor.
Even a 10% increment AT BEST might make the difference between a Win and out of the money in close races.

46zilzal
04-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Thank you for clarifying that. I think that anything that can increase a runner's chances to be in the money would have to be huge for any owner and bettor.
Even a 10% increment AT BEST might make the difference between a Win and out of the money in close races.
Ten percent represents noise in the machine.

Greyfox
04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Ten percent represents noise in the machine.

Ten percent respresents cash in the bank.

Horseplayersbet.com
04-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Might be a good opportunity for one of the Woodbine apprentices to do well at Hastings. There are probably too many apprentices right now at Woodbine, and an apprentice at Hastings may wind up with a mount almost every race, which would work out to a lot more mounts a week than some are going to get when Woodbine goes 4 and then 5 days a week.

Ryan Pacheco just got his first career victory. He looked good, and still gets 10 pounds for 4 more wins. Betty Jo Williams looks like a natural, she should stay at Woodbine. Omar Moreno figures to be the leading bug rider, and oddly enough he had a bad win percentage out West earlier last year.

I have no idea who Joe Sabetti is. 10 star and might have had his first mount today. Dean Stimpson is another 10 pound bug boy who is struggling to get mounts. And there is Marini Williams as well who is new. There is yet another Husbands, Neil who just kicked off his career yesterday. Not sure what happened to Terry Husbands.

And now you have the one's that will struggle getting mounts as 5 pound bugs, and they are Brian Cheyne, Beth Wyard and Carolyn Duquette. One of these three might be in the top 5 at Fort Erie if they decide to focus on riding there, but one of these three could be a leading rider at Hastings at well......but at Woodbine, they will find it very tough to get mounts.

appistappis
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
we'll send them gilbert searchwell from the fort

HuggingTheRail
04-11-2010, 06:02 PM
It's been a tough track for newcomers to break into, and there hasn't been a lot of good apprentices developed at Hastings over the past decade or more.

They also have a few retired jockeys who do a lot of the morning works and gallops for the big barns, so the "bust your butt in the morning, and hopefully pick up live ones in the afternoon" becomes that much harder. There are many long time trainers still at Hastings, who have pretty strong loyalties to the inner circle of jocks. Tough for a journeyman to transfer in and have a decent shot...

I can't wait for the live meet to start. Nothing like the thrill of walking through the East Gate, through the barn area...and into the grandstand for that beef in a bun! I can almost taste it now....

46zilzal
04-11-2010, 11:56 PM
It's been a tough track for newcomers to break into, and there hasn't been a lot of good apprentices developed at Hastings over the past decade or more.

Justin Stein, Giovanni Franco (if he had stayed)

macguy
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Justin Stein, Giovanni Franco (if he had stayed)

Nicola Wright had a pretty good run at it too.

46zilzal
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Nicola Wright had a pretty good run at it too.
True ..a nasty leg fracture ended if for her...She rode a lot for a very good trainer who only has a very small stable, but often a real good one like Vernon Invader..

Trotman
04-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Timmy now I know who you are, You're the Hasting's Tout
that sells the tip sheet outside the left coast Bullring :lol:

46zilzal
04-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Timmy now I know who you are, You're the Hasting's Tout
that sells the tip sheet outside the left coast Bullring :

Never have done that as the Yellow Sheet here has a monopoly on that and sues any competition claiming that the racing organization somehow "owns" the information making up a race.

Many have tired and all got a letter from a lawyer. It is challengable but the first poor goon will pay for the fight and all the others will cash in on the outcome.

Pick6
04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
How do you explain all those McCarron losing rides where he had the best horse by miles?

46zilzal
04-12-2010, 09:54 PM
How do you explain all those McCarron losing rides where he had the best horse by miles?
McCarron was not a prodigy like the ones who come along once a generation.

banacek
04-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Ok, Hastings apparently found some jocks. Does anyone know anything about the following jocks (where they last raced, record, any opinions):

Jose Gustavo Tapia
Amadeo Perez
Isaias Cardenas

None of them have any apprentice allowances, so they must have been around somewhere..any info would be greatly appreciated!

Greyfox
04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Ok, Hastings apparently found some jocks. Does anyone know anything about the following jocks (where they last raced, record, any opinions):

Jose Gustavo Tapia
Amadeo Perez
Isaias Cardenas

None of them have any apprentice allowances, so they must have been around somewhere..any info would be greatly appreciated!

Not finding much.
Isaias Cardenas, Mexico, appears to have been racing since 2001.
There's just a picture of him at:
http://www.jockeysroom.com/Mexico.htm

If you speak Spanish, the following is about him in 2009
Isaías Cárdenas al concluir la competencia levanta una protesta en contra de Bright Asquifar, pero los árbitros determinan su no procedencia, y puede decirse que el error fue de Cárdenas que no mantuvo a su montura por su carril a pesar de que Bright Asquifar se abriera, simplemente no tuvo el temple para aguantar el movimiento extraño del oponente, dejando toda su experiencia en el cuarto de jinetes y esta indecisión hecho por la borda la carrera extraordinaria de Kirano, que vio frustrado su intento de obtener su primer clásico de la temporada.

http://rumboalameta.blogspot.com/2009/10/pesima-monta-de-isaias-cardenas-sobre.html

Greyfox
04-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Wow. Google translates the page I mentioned. I learned something.

It says he gave a bad ride on "bebe."

For whatever reason, when I try to copy it, it copies in Spanish.
Check out the translate function at google.

banacek
04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks Greyfox. I tried googling too and got less than you. I was guessing Mexico, but couldn't get much.

Robert Goren
04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't know how it is now, but into the 90s several jockeys used a couple or more names. There was a guy on the Nebraska curcuit that used at least 3. The only one I can think of now is Freddy Turner. If Vic reads this, I am sure he knows who I mean.

Greyfox
04-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't know how it is now, but into the 90s several jockeys used a couple or more names. .

Agreed. I've used a couple or more names on jockeys too...and still do.

macguy
04-25-2010, 12:14 AM
46zilzal should be able to fill us in on the new Jocks.

46zilzal
04-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Isaisis Cardenas will be a new good one I was told as he won the second race yesterday....More as I learn.

Mike Heads will be lost for the season as commentator I learned yesterday.

beertapper
04-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Isaisis Cardenas will be a new good one I was told as he won the second race yesterday....More as I learn.

Mike Heads will be lost for the season as commentator I learned yesterday.

what hapenned to Mike Heads ?

46zilzal
04-25-2010, 12:39 PM
what happened to Mike Heads ?
When I find out the specific reason, I will let you know....Only found out the night before as we work together in the paddock and pre-race show and yesterday had to wing it by myself (and it showed if you know what to look for)...Have heard various stories but have not heard anything official.

His wife Barbara, often one of the leading trainers, is there.

HuggingTheRail
04-25-2010, 01:10 PM

Jose Gustavo Tapia
Amadeo Perez
Isaias Cardenas

I may head out there today, and will post any info I get. Often it's Wayne Snow, a jockey agent, that finds them and encourages them to head north, so if I see him in the backstretch, I'll ask. (Sometimes their biggest adjustment is not the bullring or language issues...its adapting to the weather!)

fromtheroof
04-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Ill send my New Mexico boys back out there, Jorge Espitia and oh hell cant remember his first name, Ramirez....

46zilzal
04-26-2010, 02:08 PM
I may head out there today, and will post any info I get. Often it's Wayne Snow, a jockey agent, that finds them and encourages them to head north, so if I see him in the backstretch, I'll ask. (Sometimes their biggest adjustment is not the bullring or language issues...its adapting to the weather!)
Snow must have been thrown from a horse as he had a "hitch in his get along" all weekend walking in the crowd.