PDA

View Full Version : Pa Closing threads

Amazin
07-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Why did you close the Betking thread?I think you should give an explanation in the future when you close a thread.

Show Me the Wire
07-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Amazin:

Why would you want to force structure on PA.

I enjoy the spontaneity of it all.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Tom
07-16-2003, 08:32 PM
37. Unexplained thread closings.:rolleyes:

JustRalph
07-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Closed the Threads

gino
07-16-2003, 09:20 PM
Ahmadzin-
fahgeddaboutit...get your crazy ass back to off topic and get back into it with Papa Lefty.....2 of my old cellmates are in a Halfwit House with internet access, and they have a pool going on the final number of posts on this thread...double back on the Southpaw, maybe work in sump'n about the Shroud of Turin or Jimmy Hoffa....Nieztche(Jack or the other guy) vs. Nixon...i don't care, just keep The Flame ALIVE....i'll kick down some dinero to the SDS or the Patty Hearst Emeritus INternship at the Observer...whatever u want...if u need help. i'll fed-ex u some old copies of Muhammed Speaks...there's some quality topics that way too many folks have all but forgotten...
thanx,
gino
power to the people who deserve the power

Amazin
07-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Gino:

Haven't you noticed that these threads are like having sex.First there's foreplay,then frezy,then the climax,then the cigarette(but of course I don't smoke).I wouldn't consider 99 posts in that thread premature ejaculation.

gino
07-16-2003, 10:27 PM
i'm about to lose control,
and i think i like it....
gino
"the music of that time deserved a better name than disco..."
-the late, great barry white

Show Me the Wire
07-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Amazin
Gino:

Haven't you noticed that these threads are like having sex.First there's foreplay,then frezy,then the climax,then the cigarette(but of course I don't smoke).I wouldn't consider 99 posts in that thread premature ejaculation.

Well if the first time was good let's do the deed twice. I've started without you.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Amazin
07-16-2003, 10:46 PM
I see Lefty's ego has reared his ugly head again in that thread.Pa closed the wrong thread.

lousycapper
07-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Why did you close the Betking thread?I think you should give an explanation in the future when you close a thread.

=============================

:D He closed it cuz he can do it. His finger is on the RED BUTTON... He's the man behind the GREEN CURTAIN... the WIZARD... the GREAT KAZOO! That's why! Get it? Got It? Good! :D

-L.C.

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Amazin, why do you mislead??? The title of your post uses the word "THREADS", which is PLURAL. I closed ONE thread recently, which is SINGULAR.

If we can't trust you to be accurate, how can we trust ANYTHING you say???

And if you need me to explain to you why I closed that thread, well then, there is no hope for you.

I'll give you a hint though.....THREAD DRIFT.....way off topic from the original post....

Thread drift in the OFF TOPIC section is one thing...but when I see it outside of that section, I'm more apt to kill it right then and there....

Suff
07-17-2003, 06:16 AM
Amazing..

FYI... I was MOSTLY teasing you. I run my word hole...But I'm just a pimple on an elephants ass out here. I see a few guys came behind me and gave you a little twist as well.

Its in fun,, Just like the board.. I know you can take it. But Just the same. Don't take it to serious. I was just bustin them on you.

Specifically:

Suff

Amazin
07-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Suff
I hear you,,but I think Pa is the one who got the wedgie.

Pa.

Not sure I trust your explanation.I think there's something else.Most threads do drift.And they can drift back especially in this case with Betking himself responding only 4 posts before you closed it.You didn't give it a chance to drift back.

Amazin
07-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Pa:

Can I be your thread Patroller?I'll alert you to the threads that have drifted from their original subject,but you may have to shut down your entire site to satisfy that requirement.

Show Me the Wire
07-17-2003, 11:30 AM

Pa.

Not sure I trust your explanation.I think there's something else...

Rothf Lmao. PA, Amazin doesn't trust your motives. Do you havesinister motives like Pres. Bush?

Amazin, I have to admit it takes verve to come into someone's property and question their motives about how they use it.

We are playing in PA's sandbox and if he wants to close down part of it that is his business. His motives do not matter it is his discretion. PA does not have to answer for his actions or explain his motives why he does whatever with his property.

I think this is a real problem that is seeping into society, the idea people must explain their motives regarding the use of their property or what they choose to do with their lives. If the reasons or motives do not pass a self-appointed third party's judgment then the behavior is unaccepatable. To me the unacceptable behavior is questioning PA about his motives.

Oh if you tell me you were denied participating in the thread, becuase of PA's actions, I say so what. Start a new thread on topic, simple eh.

Regards.
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Amazin
07-17-2003, 11:36 AM
PA

What difference does it make if they drifted and are now debating who has a bigger ego.So iif they start the thread as "ego" its OK and if they start it as "nuclear waste" its not.I don't understand the logic here.In the thread "What's in a name",a simple Joke turned into a discussion about Polti.I think that was healthy.I think the only reason you should close threads is when they get out of hand in vulgarity or cruel intent(which may be hard to discern).

SMTW

I think its in PA's interest to hear feedback on this issue.This is a form of censorship.

GameTheory
07-17-2003, 11:50 AM
I think its in PA's interest to hear feedback on this issue.This is a form of censorship.

No it isn't. If you walk into my house and start babbling and I kick you out, is that censorship? Censorship is something only the government can do.

Show Me the Wire
07-17-2003, 11:50 AM
Amazin:

Censorship?

This is a private site Pa can censor all he likes. Remember what I said about self-appointed third parties judging other people about the other person’s use of his private property or life?

Think about it? Do you understand the PA owns this private site and he does not owe you a duty of free speech? You are granted a license or privilege to post here; it is not your right. Therefore, PA can censor anything or anyone he disagrees with.

I think PA exercises remarkable control and you should be sorry for trying to give him grief through implying he has sinister motives, because you do not agree with his actions.

I think you gave the advice of 'get a life', it is good advice follow it.

The reason I even responded was not to defend PA, but to illustrate the convoluted thinking invading society and its dangers.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Dave Schwartz
07-17-2003, 11:57 AM
SMTW,

Well said.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

andicap
07-17-2003, 02:59 PM
PA pays for this site -- it's all out of his pocket. When other people start helping him support it they can criticize how he runs it.

I agreed with his decision -- the thread was going in an ultra-personal direction that just wastes my time. Keep that crap in the "off topic" section.

If anything, I think PA is sometimes too slow to pull the trigger, but I understand how he has been criticized in the past for
"censoring" people so he tries to be more patient than I would.

The First Amendment is irrelevant for this board. If you come into my house and insult me I have every right to kick you out.
Publishers don't have to publish everything that is submitted to them, and newspapers don't publish every letter submitted to them. And when they do, they edit them for content.

lousycapper
07-17-2003, 03:14 PM
:D If Mr. Pace Advantage decides that a "thread" has become a "rope" you better watch out, cuz he'll surely hang ya with it! :D

-L.C.

Suff
07-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by lousycapper
:D If Mr. Pace Advantage decides that a "thread" has become a "rope" you better watch out, cuz he'll surely hang ya with it! :D

-L.C.

Good Idea. Hold still while I blindfold you.

lousycapper
07-17-2003, 03:29 PM
:D "Sufferindowns, Past Performances Surgeon, your scapel needs sharpening!" :D

-L.C.

Amazin
07-17-2003, 04:16 PM
I know its Pa's site and he can run it anyway he wants,but does he want his site to grow or die?Personally,I don't care ,but I'll bet my $2.00 it doesn't with moves like that.It's the DEGREE of censorship I'm talking about.Is it reasonable?That thread was so harmless,it couldn't even get my pulse moving.Apparently it got to Pa's pulse,but that's the mystery to me.I'm sure I've pulsed him up alot more in the off topic section.It became personal?Almost every thread here turns personal so that's no excuse.

TurfRuler
07-17-2003, 04:27 PM
I read something on the board by the poster Bet!!! and I came back to read other posts. I don't remember what he was discussing so if PA stopped the thread it really doesn't matter.

lousycapper
07-17-2003, 04:31 PM
I know its Pa's site and he can run it anyway he wants,but does he want his site to grow or die?Personally,I don't care ,but I'll bet my $2.00 it doesn't with moves like that.It's the DEGREE of censorship I'm talking about.Is it reasonable?That thread was so harmless,it couldn't even get my pulse moving.Apparently it got to Pa's pulse,but that's the mystery to me.I'm sure I've pulsed him up alot more in the off topic section.It became personal?Almost every thread here turns personal so that's no excuse.

=============================

Mr. A. Maizing,

:D If you start an open board like the old 'Yahoo anything goes board' I bet you will have a bunch of people sign up... give it a go mate... LOL :D

-L.C.

Show Me the Wire
07-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Amazin:

Is it reasonable? How many posters are registered on this site?
How many posters complained about censorship regarding the betking thread? Is the answer to your question what is reasonable obvious?

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

midnight
07-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Like others said: PA owns it, he pays for it, he can do as he pleases on it. I didn't see anything out of line.

And while we're on it---What's the big idea closing my thread with TomC six months ago before I could get the last word in????:D

Tom
07-17-2003, 08:54 PM
We are guests here and we owe PA a certain amount of common courtesy and civility when we come here. He has graciously provided an Off Topic section and basically let's us go nuts in there. We should keep it confined to that section. Anyone that can't see why that recent thread was closed needs to trade in their DRF ofr a copy of Miss Manner's book. We are already losing Dave, a friend and valuable contributor not only to this board but to handciapping in general. I hope we don' t lose anymore.
Generally, this a great place to come and chat, learn, share, debate, whatever.
PA is a great guy to put up with us. I, for one, thank him, and thank many of the posteers here who have helped me an others by answering questions, giving opinions, directions, ideas, links, picks <G>, WINNING picks<GGG>, or whatever.
Having said that, this whole thread is Off Topic for General Handicapping, so adiaos.

PaceAdvantage
07-17-2003, 10:27 PM
I love it when posters start throwing the word censorship around here. It's unreal, isn't it?? Some people really just don't GET IT

Not that I need to defend my actions to anyone, but is it really censorship when a thread is closed but nothing is changed or deleted, and the complaining party is STILL a functioning poster with full access to the "REPLY" and "START NEW THREAD" buttons????

Show Me the Wire
07-17-2003, 10:43 PM
PA:

You are a little late to the party, but welcome. You do not have to defend your actions as you have acted in a very reasonable manner.

The other party should be apologizing to you for inferring bad motives on your part, just becuase he appointed himself as the maker of standards.

You have shown more restraint than most would have in your situation. I echo the sentiments of others thank you for your efforts.

As my 11 year old says,

Peace out,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

gino
07-17-2003, 11:43 PM
PA:
as the Federale said when he slapped the cuffs on me, "Theengs have changed, Senor.."
gino

VetScratch
07-19-2003, 11:53 AM
Amazin,

Enough already! If anyone has cause to cry "censorship," it's me.

Look how PA cropped off most of my avatar!

Does anyone remember me whining about it? No, I moved on to reveal my congenial and submissive personality... trying to be the good little girl who is no threat to emasculate any male egos!

:)

Boris
07-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by VetScratch

Look how PA cropped off most of my avatar!

Does anyone remember me whining about it? No, I moved on to reveal my congenial and submissive personality... trying to be the good little girl who is no threat to emasculate any male egos!

:)

Been meaning to tell you this VetScratch, nice hoots!

Tom
07-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Boris
Been meaning to tell you this VetScratch, nice hoots!

Yeah, feel free to email the rest of the avatar........:eek: