PDA

View Full Version : If you get a chance

cees with dees
04-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Please watch Man Of Danger's race today and one back.
This horse is in obvious physical pain.
How does the track vet pass him??
And also, how many horses is David Jacobson going to be allowed to abuse and kill until he's suspended, hopefully this time, forever.
I'll never get the image of Hugable Tom out of my mind and until Jacobson admits guilt for that, how can he be forgiven for something he doesn't even acknowledge.
Ben

toetoe
04-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Gladger back. :jump: .

tzipi
04-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Having worked with horses and being around barns for years I notice so many tired sore horses, mostly low claimers, being brought out to the track day every week. It's really sad an they really don't care. The reason they do it.

1) The owners are just trying to make some kind of money to pay the bills and the trainers don't want to lose the owners and money by telling them no to their wishes.

2) Owners just keep running the run down horses hoping someone will claim them.

This mostly happens with low-mid claimers and most very rarely see layoffs. I shake my head when I see the rundown horses in the paddock get the go to start the race. A top jock can call off the race at the gate if a really bad warm up happens but a lower level jock needing money will try and run and make some money.
Just watch these "up the track" sore horses finish way way up the track again and come home struggling and breathing so heavy. Guess what horse? You're entered in another race next week. It's cruel and the one part I HATE about racing.

ernie simons
04-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Looks like he ran a pretty good race. 3 wide in the turn and held onto 2nd by a half.

PaceAdvantage
04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Back story to Jacobson and Hugable Tom:

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/19/sports/destruction-of-an-ailing-horse-called-a-necessity-by-owner.html

nijinski
04-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Please watch Man Of Danger's race today and one back.
This horse is in obvious physical pain.
How does the track vet pass him??
And also, how many horses is David Jacobson going to be allowed to abuse and kill until he's suspended, hopefully this time, forever.
I'll never get the image of Hugable Tom out of my mind and until Jacobson admits guilt for that, how can he be forgiven for something he doesn't even acknowledge.
Ben
All I can say is "Heavenly Perfect"., and why no one was ever held
respnsible for the poor filly.
Only bringing her up due to your compassionate post.

joanied
04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Back story to Jacobson and Hugable Tom:

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/19/sports/destruction-of-an-ailing-horse-called-a-necessity-by-owner.html

Jeeze:( :ThmbDown:

cees with dees
04-08-2010, 07:11 PM
In addition to that article which really doesn't tell how horribly this animal was neglected, I saw him before he was put down and had spoken to several who had snuck into Jacobson's barn to feed him.
One was an illegal alien afraid of being deported.
David Jacobson is a person I wouldn't let take care of my guppy, nevermind a beautiful animal with the ability to feel pain just as we are.
How they let this person back in the game is astonishing.
if you make a point to look at his horses lines, none, and I mean none, ever improve.
I could even forgive him if he took responsibility for the hideous thing he did. But he never has. He's denied any responsibility from day one and still does as we speak.
A true lowlife that has no business taking care of anything.
Ben

tzipi
04-08-2010, 07:23 PM
He should've been banned for life, based on that story.

LottaKash
04-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I don't forsee running horses into the ground ending, anytime soon....Imo, there is just too much racing going on simultaneously throughout the nation, and there just aren't enough sound horses to go around anymore...That I believe is one of the many reasons why modern day American horse racing is dying a slow death these days.....Sad to see the poor equines being brutalized like that, week after week, after week, after week....

Greed, is so at work....Still...:eek:

joanied
04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
In addition to that article which really doesn't tell how horribly this animal was neglected, I saw him before he was put down and had spoken to several who had snuck into Jacobson's barn to feed him.
One was an illegal alien afraid of being deported.
David Jacobson is a person I wouldn't let take care of my guppy, nevermind a beautiful animal with the ability to feel pain just as we are.
How they let this person back in the game is astonishing.
if you make a point to look at his horses lines, none, and I mean none, ever improve.
I could even forgive him if he took responsibility for the hideous thing he did. But he never has. He's denied any responsibility from day one and still does as we speak.
A true lowlife that has no business taking care of anything.
Ben

Well said. The man really needs :ThmbDown: to go...in fact, I was stunned when they reinstated him. Unbeleivable.

cees with dees
04-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I was really surprised also.
I can tolerate a lot of behavior and rarely will I sit in judgment on anyone.
In this case though where a human being abuses a defenseless animal, and one that had the temerment which fit his name like a glove, that has to be vocalized and as God is my witness, if I had been alerted to this catastrophe before it was more than too late, I'd have given my last dollar to make this animal at least comfortable.
That animal literally starved to death while in an inexplicable amount of pain.
It makes me nauseas to even think about it.
Ben

cees with dees
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
This is the excerpt from the article.

While he never won a rich stake race himself, Hugable Tom served as Alydar's "rabbit" in the Flamingo, burning out the field per orders. Alydar won; Tom finished last. The story of his life: sold, claimed, reclaimed and claimed again. In the past two years Hugable Tom won eleven races, including his final one on June 20. Afflicted with degenerative hoof disease at the end, alleged to have been neglected by his trainer and said to have had to rely on backstretch helpers for food and water, he was "put down," and his carcass rendered into soap. The studs get the tombstones.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,925167-2,00.html#ixzz0kYXmB4oI (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,925167-2,00.html#ixzz0kYXmB4oI)

cees with dees
04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
This is a perfect example as to why I am a loyal supporter of Gary Contessa.
He treats every animal in his barn like he or she were a grade one winner and never ever puts damaged goods on the track.
There are several others. Of the big names, Todd Pletcher is one. John Parisella, another.
Thank God the list is quite long but just for the fact that there are a few dozen like Jacobson, that in itself is disgusting.
The most recent one I can think of is Rene Araya who has been gone for some time now.
I don't remember the horses name off hand but he was competitive in $50 claimers then all of a sudden, dropped in for 10.
Jose Santos was on and he walked to the front under no urging and broke down early into the clubhouse turn.
I haven't seen nor heard from Araya since but found out he had taken a recent life insurance policy out on this poor animal.
Nice huh??
Ben

PaceAdvantage
04-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Look, no matter who you're talking about, there are still certain things you can't say here on this board. Don't put me in the position of appearing to defend guys like this, because I don't like it. But I also can't let certain statements remain on this board because they put me in a difficult position.

Deepsix
04-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Yep, sometimes things (speculating about breakdowns) goes to far.

cees with dees
04-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Pace, you run a wonderful program here and have enough support where this venue can really make a difference. Especially where it counts.
I totally understand your position and there's no reason you can't put in a disclaimer like they do on TV stations where comments posted are not the opinion of those in charge.
I think it's wrong in general to bad mouth people and I have been guilty of that in the past.
I was especially out of line to TLG whom I think has a fine opinion and offers valuable insight to horses not easily picked up unless you really follow the races.
He was dead on one day when he said Casteneda would never get the distance and I had made a good bet on him that day. I was right until they hit the 16th pole but he turned out totally dead on because this horse was loose on a snails pace and still got beat.
He is a class act and brings much needed insight to the game and there are only a handful tops that do that.
I disagree with his opinion quite a bit but had no reason to say some of the things I did and I did apologize.
Just a thought.
Ben

PaceAdvantage
04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Pace, you run a wonderful program here and have enough support where this venue can really make a difference. Especially where it counts.
I totally understand your position and there's no reason you can't put in a disclaimer like they do on TV stations where comments posted are not the opinion of those in charge.I have absolutely no problem with anyone posting opinions. It's when they post opinions disguised as FACT, or they try and pass off unverifiable FACTS, that's when we run into problems.

If it's obviously an opinion, then there can't be any problem...opinions are not facts.