PDA

View Full Version : Jockeys pay?

larman
04-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Can someone explain how a jockey gets paid if he flies out of town
to ride? Does he pay his own expenses,is he gauranteed money?
I would be interested to know.

judd
04-06-2010, 07:30 AM
if its a girl tiger woods pays :lol:

slewis
04-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Can someone explain how a jockey gets paid if he flies out of town
to ride? Does he pay his own expenses,is he gauranteed money?
I would be interested to know.

If I ask a NY based jockey to fly to Florida to ride our horse, that jockey bills us for ALL expenses.

If it's a typical "stakes day" card, the jockey may have several mounts in stakes races for various owners/trainers.

If that be the case, the bill is split equally, regardless of the success of those mounts.

startngate
04-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Depends on the jockey, the event, and the deal his agent makes.

All expenses are covered, and the jockey is also sometimes given a guarantee of earnings for the day ... especially if he has some live mounts he will be missing at his home track.

If the jockey is travelling for a racetrack event, there is usually appearance fee money involved.

Of course they keep all their normal mount fees and percentages for hitting the board or winning, and normally those amounts will offset any guarantees.

Brogan
04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of a few rides where the jockey should have paid us.

onefast99
04-06-2010, 04:48 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of a few rides where the jockey should have paid us.
I wonder if you are referencing any NJ jocks?

Brogan
04-06-2010, 06:21 PM
The 2 that stick out the most in my mind occurred at MTH and PHA

v j stauffer
04-07-2010, 03:31 AM
Up front money is rare. It does happen but not all that often. Too many good riders that will go just for the chance at a big purse. All expenses are paid by the owner. Flying first class is not unusual. The one big difference. At a jocks home track the percentages paid for stakes are 10% 5% 5%. Agents can invoice for the other 5% for second & third. Some owners pay some don't. For an out of town stake it's always 10% all the way across the board without fail.

Deepsix
04-07-2010, 03:54 AM
Thanks Vic, nice to read your straight forward insights.