PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with quarter horse racing?

masterpeg
04-04-2010, 03:30 PM
just curious as to why there is little action here on quarter horse racing. From a gambling perspective I figure it doesn't offer as much opportunity or else there would be more discussion. I'm interested in why this is so, since it's where I'm starting and am beginning to question if its the best place to be.

For me it's convenient to play Los Alamitos, and i find it much easier to formulate opinions with no pace. I know there are no life changing scores there, but couldn't you grind it out there just as easy and isn't that what most of you are doing?

Zman179
04-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Actually there have been many Los Alamitos threads here, but there was also a backlash after Los Al hiked their takeouts. It's a good, honest track to play and make some decent pocket change.

Greyfox
04-04-2010, 03:58 PM
The races are over too quick. If the horse doesn't get out of the gate, it won't win today.

Speaking of 1/4 horses.

http://www.lazypic.com/images/98Horse_Running.gif (http://www.lazypic.com/view.php?filename=98Horse_Running.gif).

masterpeg
04-04-2010, 04:21 PM
The gate factor is one I thought I'd hear. Its rare a horse can make up for it. I come from a poker background and I take it as a bad beat. There are bad beats in longer races as well (see looking at lucky yesterday).

Do you think the bad beats average out between the longer tracks and quarter tracks? This is the bottom line for me. The thing I find refreshing in this game is the rareness of the bad beat.

Does the quarter horse game have more bad beats than the thoroughbred game?

turfnsport
04-04-2010, 04:28 PM
For me, bad beats are easier to handle after 1:40 rather then 12 seconds.

thaskalos
04-04-2010, 06:20 PM
If you are willing to apply yourself, and you get used to the troubles at the gate, Los Alamitos can be a profitable experience. I have been playing there, successfully, for 3 years. The trick is to figure out a way to equalize the speed figures of the different distances that they offer.

horses4courses
04-04-2010, 06:27 PM
For me, bad beats are easier to handle after 1:40 rather then 12 seconds.

I agree.

At least in a race of 6 furlongs plus, even if your horse gets in some trouble, if he's much the best he can still recover and win.

Forget about that in a 330yd dash, if you miss the break.
It's too dicey to wager much money on.

JustRalph
04-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Waiting 20 minutes for 14 seconds of race is just too much to bear