PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Act

Jasonm921
04-04-2010, 09:20 AM
What was Julien doing? He wasn't going to beat Eskendereya but the entire race he choked this horse. Rated into submission....when will these jockeys learn that these horses spend more energy fighting them then running.

Watcher
04-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Lost a shoe coming out of the gate. I think he was worried about the horse?

Jasonm921
04-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Yeah just read that on another post.

Mineshaft
04-04-2010, 10:38 AM

It was a terrible ride he choked him all the way down the backside.

Spalding No!
04-04-2010, 10:42 AM

If this was sarcastic I apologize.

But if it was serious, two questions:

a) how would Leparoux even know he lost the shoe (other than to presume it once the horse stumbled coming out of the gate)?

b) if he was "worried" about the horse, why would he let him travel the entire 9f?

born2ride
04-04-2010, 01:27 PM
If this was sarcastic I apologize.

But if it was serious, two questions:

a) how would Leparoux even know he lost the shoe (other than to presume it once the horse stumbled coming out of the gate)?

b) if he was "worried" about the horse, why would he let him travel the entire 9f?
I doubt he knew AA had lost a shoe, but certainly Julien could feel he wasn't gripping the surface as well as he could have. It's like running on a track with tennis shoes vs shoes with cleats. AA missed several works, I'd bet the instructions were to keep him well under control, but to keep him under a stranglehold and not let him out a little seemed odd to me.

Spalding No!
04-04-2010, 01:32 PM
I doubt he knew AA had lost a shoe, but certainly Julien could feel he wasn't gripping the surface as well as he could have. It's like running on a track with tennis shoes vs shoes with cleats. AA missed several works, I'd bet the instructions were to keep him well under control, but to keep him under a stranglehold and not let him out a little seemed odd to me.

Tom Durkin commented on his ride as "in the European tradition" or something to that affect.

Unfortunately, they were racing in New York.

I think the shoe issue is being well blown out of proportion and almost certainly had nothing to do with how he was ridden.

redshift1
04-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Tom Durkin commented on his ride as "in the European tradition" or something to that affect.

Unfortunately, they were racing in New York.

I think the shoe issue is being well blown out of proportion and almost certainly had nothing to do with how he was ridden.

The more I look at this race the more I think they used the Wood as a conditioner for the Derby.

Spalding No!
04-04-2010, 02:45 PM
The more I look at this race the more I think they used the Wood as a conditioner for the Derby.

Possibly.

The problem is that I doubt they were looking to finish 9 lengths behind the winner. Even if they were looking for a Monarchos or Unbridled-type final prep, they still have to be in the same ballpark.

He might come up to the race as perfect as they want and simply not be good enough.

redshift1
04-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Possibly.

The problem is that I doubt they were looking to finish 9 lengths behind the winner. Even if they were looking for a Monarchos or Unbridled-type final prep, they still have to be in the same ballpark.

He might come up to the race as perfect as they want and simply not be good enough.

I doubt Leparoux will be throwing out the anchor in the Derby (like yesterday) but barring a bad trip Pletcher has by far his best chance for a Derby winner.

Spalding No!
04-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I doubt Leparoux will be throwing out the anchor in the Derby (like yesterday)

Leparoux let the horse loose straightening up and he made no impression on the winner.

Worse yet, Jackson Bend had an answer to Awesome Act's run.

At this point, I'd say Awesome Act is better suited to the Riva Ridge and the King's Bishop.

That's not to say he can't hit the board in one of the classics.

Robert Goren
04-04-2010, 03:23 PM
He might not have enough earning to run in the derby or so they said on NBC yesterday.

Spalding No!
04-04-2010, 03:35 PM
He might not have enough earning to run in the derby or so they said on NBC yesterday.

He's 13th on the list with nearly $300k in earnings in graded stakes. Not sure if he's realistically in a position to be excluded.

Valuist
04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
He looks to be one of the closers that could get a piece of the purse. He's a definite tri use in the underneath slots, IMO.

Jasonm921
04-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Leparoux let the horse loose straightening up and he made no impression on the winner.

Worse yet, Jackson Bend had an answer to Awesome Act's run.

At this point, I'd say Awesome Act is better suited to the Riva Ridge and the King's Bishop.

That's not to say he can't hit the board in one of the classics.

He ran on three shoes.

Spalding No!
04-05-2010, 01:24 AM
He ran on three shoes.

Some are saying that Eskendereya ran on three legs...

In all likelihood, a lost shoe didn't get him beat 10 lengths.

nijinski
04-05-2010, 02:09 AM
AA's trainer, Noseda said there wasn't a good pace for him and that he is likely going to the Derby.
Guess he is hoping for a pace advantage there.

No pun intended.

GaryG
04-05-2010, 11:22 AM
AA's trainer, Noseda said there wasn't a good pace for him and that he is likely going to the Derby.
Guess he is hoping for a pace advantage there.

No pun intended.After his troubles at the start Leparoux strangled him down behind a slow pace. That looked like a prep race to me and you know he will have a hot pace in front of him in Louisville. Price should be generous as well.

PaceAdvantage
04-05-2010, 01:32 PM
They wanted him ridden like a Euro...had nothing to do with his shoe...

johnhannibalsmith
04-05-2010, 01:56 PM
They wanted him ridden like a Euro...had nothing to do with his shoe...

Agreed. I wish this shoe thing had never been mentioned as I actually sort of like this colt on the lone premise that he will probably LIKE the traffic and congestion in the Derby. I'm not sure what kind of quality he is, but the flow of the race and trip that he was forced to engage in seems like it might have cost him a lot more than any lost shoe did. I don't love him, but I'm not willing to write him off with the chance of a big price on a colt that should get a good pace and plenty of cover for a mile and an eighth in May.

WinterTriangle
04-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I actually sort of like this colt

that's how I felt reviewing his euro racing / training. The horse has some foundation. unlike others in the derby.

Spalding No!
04-05-2010, 07:38 PM
that's how I felt reviewing his euro racing / training. The horse has some foundation. unlike others in the derby.

Which horses pointing for the Derby don't have "some foundation"?

Doesn't sound like you're giving such colts a ringing Endorsement...

fmolf
04-05-2010, 08:33 PM

I think he has the look of a contender!The public may ignore him because of this race....

WinterTriangle
04-05-2010, 08:59 PM

some of the horses never ran a 1-1/8 race and were coming out of 7Fers.

endoresment ran great but tend to agree with watchmaker: "the distance- and talent-challenged field helped make him look good."

joanied
04-06-2010, 03:05 PM
That lost shoe didn't hurt him, IMO...lest we forget...horses are all 4 wheel drive...that bare foot was grabbing the dirt same as the feet with shoe...it could be an excuse if they'd run in the slop, or maybe on poly...but dirt and turf are natural surfaces and a bare foot has no bearing on his running.
I can see them wanting to try rating him or whatever it is they were trying to do...but to strangle a horse like Julien did was way too radical...it's no wonder when he did get into the horse, there wasn't much there.
He's still on my list...but IMO, he'll be in the second tier of finishers for the Derby.