PDA

View Full Version : Baffert Suggests Gomez Watch Jerry Bailey DVDs

ManeMediaMogul
04-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Reported by Jack Shinar at www.bloodhorse.com.

“It was bad luck. It was a bad trip," Baffert said. "You can’t be on the inside on this track. (Gomez) took him back and he was fighting him. It was horrendous; his ride was horrendous. It’s unfortunate. The horse is a good horse. That’s the thing about synthetic. They’re not going to go fast. Keep him up there. He’s so afraid to let this horse run early, and it’s a shame, because that’s not Garrett. I don’t know why. He threw an interception.”

Baffert said he could not say if he would replace Gomez. “I’m not going to talk about that right now," he said. "I cannot believe he rode him that way. It’s ridiculous.”

Asked about the inquiry that followed, in which stewards made no change in the order of finish, Baffert said: “I didn’t really care. When I saw him on the rail, I said, ‘What is he doing?’ He must not have seen Jerry Bailey’s tape. We’re going to buy him some DVDs.”

Gomez was definitely missing his "A" game Saturday as he rode In the Slips like crap too.

GARY Z
04-04-2010, 07:22 AM
According to NBC Gomez and Espinoza were involved in a scuffle/fight after the race..

railjunkie
04-04-2010, 07:28 AM
One of the all time piss poor rides I have ever seen. This game is tough enough without having to worry about the pinheads who are paid to pilot these animals. I have spoken to owners at great length about the lack of jockey accountability as it is one of my peeves with the game. The bottom line is that if I pulled an unacceptable performance like Gomez did yesterday I would be serving 30 days. This from someone who is supposed to be one of the games premier jockeys? Don't give me the excuse that he had a bad day. These people are paid to perform. BTW, Baffert has a knack of selecting jockeys who sandbag his horses. Anyone remember that pinhead who wrecked the chances of Point Given in the Preakness years ago?

Kimsus
04-04-2010, 08:32 AM
A rider saving ground, while having another rider come in on him is termed one of the all time poor piss rides ever seen... :confused: as opposed to an 4-5 overland trip? I've heard it all.

Mineshaft
04-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Doesnt Gomez ride one for Baffert today in a stakes race?

Tom
04-04-2010, 09:45 AM
That was pretty classless thing for Baffert to say.:ThmbDown:

Grits
04-04-2010, 09:52 AM
It was worse for his wife to be railing at a jock. She should've kept her mouth shut and let her husband, the trainer, have his say about the ride.

She's never trained or gotten on the back of the first one!

Valuist
04-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I agree it was classless. How many good rides has Gomez given? I'm no fan of riders but there aren't too many better than Gomez.

And like an earlier poster said, how is saving ground such a terrible thing? You had a situation with a lone speed and he wasn't going to get beat under those conditions.

Relwob Owner
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM
I agree it was classless. How many good rides has Gomez given? I'm no fan of riders but there aren't too many better than Gomez.

And like an earlier poster said, how is saving ground such a terrible thing? You had a situation with a lone speed and he wasn't going to get beat under those conditions.

On the surface, it may have been classless....however, there is so much behind the scenes that we dont know about.....also, who knows what Baffert's motivation was for doing it. How many times have you seen a sports coach call out a player, the player gets pissed and then produces better results-could have been BB's play here.....

Relwob Owner
04-04-2010, 10:30 AM
It was worse for his wife to be railing at a jock. She should've kept her mouth shut and let her husband, the trainer, have his say about the ride.

If what was said happened did, I agree with you 200%

pandy
04-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Baffert has a history of complaining about riders and also changing riders, sometimes for no apparent reason. I remember when he pulled Mike Smith off a horse who was undefeated in 4 starts, was if Officer? And then the horse got a bad ride and lost in the B.C. It looked to me like Espinoza's horse ran into him.

Relwob Owner
04-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Baffert has a history of complaining about riders and also changing riders, sometimes for no apparent reason. I remember when he pulled Mike Smith off a horse who was undefeated in 4 starts, was if Officer? And then the horse got a bad ride and lost in the B.C. It looked to me like Espinoza's horse ran into him.

I dont think what Espinoza did or didnt do has anything to do with Baffert's opinion. I think Baffert was more upset because LAL was there in the first place.....

toussaud
04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Vindication not officer

Rackon
04-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Before Baffert ever opened his mouth, I and three other people watching this race live were saying to the TV screen "what the hell is Gomez doin' locked down there on the rail?" And that was before they hit the final turn.

Especially after the horse was squeezed at the start and forced to check in the first turn, going back down on the rail in behind those non-contenders looked like a poor choice to me. You have the class horse in the race. a horse with tactical speed, a long strided horse, and there's a nice horse loose on the front end - you want to keep your horse in position to make his run, even if you have to go a bit wide.

And no I've never ridden in a race and it's been 30 years since I galloped a TB.

But I got eyes.

Gomez is a top jock. Sometimes riders guess right and sometimes they guess wrong. Gomez guessed wrong and made a poor choice in the circumstances, failing to keep the speedy favorite clear and out of trouble. I would say LL had both bad luck and a bad ride yesterday. That's before you throw Espinoza and what he did or didn't do into the equation - Lucky should never have been in that spot to begin with.

If I were Baffert I would be extremely upset too - the horse was perfectly prepared, the top contender, full of run and all that down the drain in less than 2 minutes. It's the final prep before the biggest race of the horse's life, and you want something that's going to move him forward, at least a decent trip even if he doesn't win. They didn't even come close. I'm amazed that the horse could recover enough to get third - this is a classy animal no doubt.

It was not classy for Mrs. B to accuse the jock in public, but I think that tells you how absolutely upset the connections were.

senortout
04-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I believe they were looking past this one race a bit. All things considered, a bit more racing luck and they woulda won it. Important thing right now is the way Lucky handles ANY SORT of kickback, dirt or syn. He will more than likely have to eat a bit more of it the first Saturday in May.

Yes, GG will ride the horse in the Big One. Blowing smoke is all Baffert was doing. The tactics were probably discussed before the gates opened.

Just my opinion.

senortout

fmolf
04-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I think saving ground was a good move but i believe gomez made his move too soon.He got impatient ,so instead of waiting till they hit the backstretch he moved on the turn.Which is the most difficult place to make a rail move,especially when in tight the momentum is forcing your horse outside to begin with so to make him squeeze thru a tight spot while cornering is really tough on both horse and jock.I believe LAL would have bulled his way thru on the straightaway....now the question one must ask is how hard did gomez use him to finish third?

thaskalos
04-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I always thought that bad luck was part of the game...or does that apply only to horseplayers? Mr. Baffert needs to be reminded that horseplayers have been victimized by bad rides for over 100 years...and we have still managed to survive, somehow. It seems that Baffert's horses possess a lot more class than he does...

LottaKash
04-04-2010, 03:45 PM
I believe they were looking past this one race a bit. All things considered, a bit more racing luck and they woulda won it. Important thing right now is the way Lucky handles ANY SORT of kickback, dirt or syn. He will more than likely have to eat a bit more of it the first Saturday in May.

Yes, GG will ride the horse in the Big One. Blowing smoke is all Baffert was doing. The tactics were probably discussed before the gates opened.

Just my opinion.

senortout

I tend to agree with that...I believe it was just a training manuever for the "big-dance"....Learning about inside traffic and such, and a nice ez-tightener, along with a good late brush....Good training, imo....

I believe that he will be there come raceday...

best,

magwell
04-04-2010, 04:07 PM
LAL is a very good and game colt but he has had two rough races in a row and had to ship for them, now he has to go to CD to face the big E plus 18 others. It will be a great Derby if he's at his best, but these two races may have taken something out of him, have to lean to the big E for now ....JMO

BluegrassProf
04-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Tom: Agreed. Classless indeed. :ThmbDown:

Baffert's a bitch (and his wife, absurd). Gomez's ride is irrelevant...that reaction is unacceptable.

If it was any number of other trainers or owners crying foul from everyone and their brother and piling on the excuses, people'd have a damned stroke (not to mention calling out the horse's obvious lack of class...we're an inconsistent bunch, to say the least!).

Bad ride? Suck it up, like everyone else.

Stay classy out front, get down to brass tacks on the backside.

JustRalph
04-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Baffert has a knack of selecting jockeys who sandbag his horses. Anyone remember that pinhead who wrecked the chances of Point Given in the Preakness years ago?

just off the top of my head, Didn't Point Given win the Preakness ?

cj
04-04-2010, 05:11 PM
just off the top of my head, Didn't Point Given win the Preakness ?

Yes.

cj
04-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Vindication not officer

Vindication won the BC and never raced again.

Watcher
04-04-2010, 06:30 PM
One of the all time piss poor rides I have ever seen. This game is tough enough without having to worry about the pinheads who are paid to pilot these animals. I have spoken to owners at great length about the lack of jockey accountability as it is one of my peeves with the game. The bottom line is that if I pulled an unacceptable performance like Gomez did yesterday I would be serving 30 days. This from someone who is supposed to be one of the games premier jockeys? Don't give me the excuse that he had a bad day. These people are paid to perform. BTW, Baffert has a knack of selecting jockeys who sandbag his horses. Anyone remember that pinhead who wrecked the chances of Point Given in the Preakness years ago?

Accountability? Do you watch any professional sports? Mistakes happen, whether they're paid to perform or not.

Deepsix
04-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Just a little more info in the situation as it unfolded today--

http://www.santaanita.com/stablenotes/stable-notes-ed-golden-67

Grits
04-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Its always good after everyone has a few drinks at dinner, makes nice-nice, and wakes up the next morning with calmer thoughts prevailing.

bisket
04-04-2010, 09:32 PM
looking at this race beforehand there was only two horses that would win this race: skipshot and sid. for lucky to win he would have had to run a race that would have compromised his chances in may. even with a good trip lucky only finishes second in this race. this race reminded so much of the 2007 kentucky cup classic with hard spun and street sense. nafzger (just like baffert) told everyone who would listen that street sense was in ken cup to set him up for the breeders cup classic. knowing this jones entered hard spun knowing that spun was the lone speed at 1 1/8 miles. the only way street sense beats hard spun is by duking it out with him on the lead start to finish and compromising him in the breeders cup. so hard spun wins in a walk. lucky's position here was the exact same as street sense's in that race. only gomez is an idiot. :bang:

Pace Cap'n
04-04-2010, 09:35 PM

Wasn't that regarding an earlier incident involving his first wife?

Rackon
04-04-2010, 09:58 PM
looking at this race beforehand there was only two horses that would win this race: skipshot and sid. for lucky to win he would have had to run a race that would have compromised his chances in may. even with a good trip lucky only finishes second in this race. this race reminded so much of the 2007 kentucky cup classic with hard spun and street sense. nafzger (just like baffert) told everyone who would listen that street sense was in ken cup to set him up for the breeders cup classic. knowing this jones entered hard spun knowing that spun was the lone speed at 1 1/8 miles. the only way street sense beats hard spun is by duking it out with him on the lead start to finish and compromising him in the breeders cup. so hard spun wins in a walk. lucky's position here was the exact same as street sense's in that race. only gomez is an idiot. :bang:

Uh...I disagree.

Good, clean trip, I think LAL wins.

Winner is a ncie horse with a perfect trip.

He wouldn't have been gutted to win, but if he had a good trip he'd certainly have been capable of winning.

Grits
04-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Wasn't that regarding an earlier incident involving his first wife?

Excuse me? I'm not sure what you're speaking of, but I'm speaking of his current's wife confrontation with Espinoza.

Jill Baffert, wife of Bob Baffert, trainer of Lookin At Lucky, verbally took Espinoza to task outside the jockeys’ room after the race, but Espinoza said Sunday morning that apologies had been exchanged Saturday night.

pandy
04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
I agree, Lucky easily lost 4 to 5 lengths when he was checked, and at that point he was full of run and starting to make up ground on the leader. He probably would've won by a clear margin and if not, he would've lost a tight photo.

Pace Cap'n
04-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Excuse me? I'm not sure what you're speaking of, but I'm speaking of his current's wife confrontation with Espinoza.

Thanks. I stand corrected.

Stillriledup
05-17-2010, 04:36 AM
I've watched Jerry's DVD. Now all i have to do is lose a small child from my frame and i can become a jockey!

Lukas was happy getting Bob's sloppy seconds! :lol: