PDA

View Full Version : Here's a bit of trivia for you

Paseana
04-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Erin's Isle, Load The Cannons, Prince True, Dahar, and Rosedale.......

They have a couple of things in common, and together, they represent a major accomplishment in the sport.

Care to take a stab?

redshift1
04-03-2010, 11:30 PM
No idea any more clues?

nijinski
04-03-2010, 11:50 PM
San Juan Capistrano winners?

They were oversea champions as well and were sent bck to Europe and Australa.

Greyfox
04-03-2010, 11:56 PM
For starters, they all won:

San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap

Greyfox
04-03-2010, 11:57 PM
San Juan Capistrano winners?
You beat me.:ThmbUp:

nijinski
04-04-2010, 12:00 AM
You beat me.:ThmbUp:
LOL by more thn 30 thirty lengths.

Greyfox
04-04-2010, 12:07 AM
LOL by more thn 30 thirty lengths.

Not so fast nijinski.
Neither of us have answered the question:
What's the major accomplishment?

nijinski
04-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Not so fast nijinski.
Neither of us have answered the question:
What's the major accomplishment?
OK OK , need some time to go back on to PQ.

nijinski
04-04-2010, 12:33 AM
I see three of these were bred by Nelson Bunker Hunt and seeing
they were sent abroard , the impact has something to do with the
grass and stamina breeding , but after all these races I had to handicap today I'm too tired to get part two. Come on Paseana , give it up.

Greyfox
04-04-2010, 12:38 AM
OK OK , need some time to go back on to PQ.

For starters, let's give ourselves credit. You got it first. I came second.
If someone wants to beat his/her brains out and get the rest, at least we've given them a leg up. :ThmbUp:

nijinski
04-04-2010, 12:45 AM
For starters, let's give ourselves credit. You got it first. I came second.
If someone wants to beat his/her brains out and get the rest, at least we've given them a leg up. :ThmbUp:

Fair enough GF.

ALostTexan
04-04-2010, 01:02 AM
They are four horses that have never been in my kitchen?

Robert Goren
04-04-2010, 01:03 AM
They had the same trainer, Charlie Whittingham.

nijinski
04-04-2010, 01:11 AM
They had the same trainer, Charlie Whittingham.
That's an interesting factoid I didn't know , Thanks.

the little guy
04-04-2010, 01:22 AM
OK, you all have had a fair chance....

They won consecutive runnings of the San Juan Capistrano for Whittingham.

nijinski
04-04-2010, 01:28 AM
OK, you all have had a fair chance....

They won consecutive runnings of the San Juan Capistrano for Whittingham.
That's impressive !
Miss the great horseman like Whittingman ,and Stephen's too.

Paseana
04-04-2010, 12:24 PM
BINGO, TLG!

That's specifically the answer I was looking for.

So much is made, and rightfully so, of Woody's 5 Belmonts in a row, but it's always kind of bothered me that Charlie won 5 consecutive San Juan Capistranos (at about 14 furlongs) and nobody seems to even remember. And if it weren't for Lemhi Gold in 1982, he would have won SEVEN in a row, because Obratsovy was the 1981 winner, and Exploded finished 2nd to Lemhi Gold.

The San Juan is, of course, a shadow of it's former self, but back then, it was one of the most revered and prestigious turf races in the country, and Charlie's accomplishment of winning 5 in a row was just as impressive as what Woody did......in my opinion anyway.

Greyfox
04-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Something I always wanted to know. :lol:

46zilzal
04-04-2010, 12:42 PM
I liked this humbly bred animal who won it twice.

Spalding No!
04-04-2010, 12:46 PM
BINGO, TLG!

That's specifically the answer I was looking for.

So much is made, and rightfully so, of Woody's 5 Belmonts in a row, but it's always kind of bothered me that Charlie won 5 consecutive San Juan Capistranos (at about 14 furlongs) and nobody seems to even remember. And if it weren't for Lemhi Gold in 1982, he would have won SEVEN in a row, because Obratsovy was the 1981 winner, and Exploded finished 2nd to Lemhi Gold.

The San Juan is, of course, a shadow of it's former self, but back then, it was one of the most revered and prestigious turf races in the country, and Charlie's accomplishment of winning 5 in a row was just as impressive as what Woody did......in my opinion anyway.

Well, to respectively disagree, Stephens had the added task of developing those horses (merely 3yos) "from scratch" to race and win at a distance unfamiliar to them.

Whittingham was running "ready made" European imports for the most part that were true stayers, not to mention presumably a big class advantage over their American equivalents (if there were any).

Paseana
04-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Point well made. The only reservation I have had with my opinion HAS been that Woody did it in an age-restricted race, where he had no opportunity to run the same horse in the race twice. Even though Charlie's were all different horses in the end, chances are good that one or more of those winners started in the race in other runnings besides the one they won. I don't know that for a fact, but it would surprise me if it weren't so.

But, while I concede your main point, I still think it was a pretty darned impressive accomplishment! :)

thaskalos
04-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Which trainer has the highest winning percentage in the country over the last decade, with a minimum of 1,000 starts?

Paseana
04-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Huh?

Woody Stephens died in 1998 and Charlie Whittingham died in 1999. What on earth do either one of them have to do with the last decade?

If you're talking about Assmussen or Pletcher, or any other current super-trainer out there, fine. But Stephens and Whittingham make a mockery of all those guys in the test of even recent history.....over the last 30 years or so.

Please explain your post and where you're wanting to go with it, because until you clarify it, it has nothing at all to do with the context of the thread.

thaskalos
04-04-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm sorry...I thought that, since you asked a trivia question and it was answered, the matter was closed. I mean...nobody posted anything for 6.5 hours. Since the answer dealt with trainers, I thought I would post another trainer trivia question to keep the thread going. Forgive me for intruding on your territory...

Greyfox
04-04-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm sorry...I thought that, since you asked a trivia question and it was answered, the matter was closed. I mean...nobody posted anything for 6.5 hours. Since the answer dealt with trainers, I thought I would post another trainer trivia question to keep the thread going. Forgive me for intruding on your territory...

You make an excellent point.
1. the trivia question was answered.
2.The thread didn't say it had to be about Whittingham or Twittingham.
3. If it has to stay on the original point, this thread should be locked. The answer has been given.

I thought that your question was in line with the idea of Trivia. :ThmbUp:
No apology necessary. Lots of threads move on.
One started about handicapping without Beyers.
We were supposed to apply it to some 8 th Race at Aqueduct or whatever.
The thread moved on after the 8 th race was done and got into handicapping theories outside of the numbers game.
I saw your question in a similar vein. :ThmbUp:

Spalding No!
04-05-2010, 01:16 AM
I think this was simply a case of misunderstanding as a opposed to a territorial pissing (I hate Nirvana by the way).

Don't lose your shoes over it...

Greyfox
04-05-2010, 01:40 AM
I think this was simply a case of misunderstanding as a opposed to a territorial pissing (I hate Nirvana by the way).

Don't lose your shoes over it...

For sure. A misunderstanding between Paseana when his so far limited posts, and Thaskaloss reply drew heat.
I'm in Thaskalos camp on this one.
I could have just as innocently and easily asked a trivia question on this thread and drawn the same response. In fact I thought about it, asking a trivia question that is.
I stand up against that kind of crap that Paseana, Pisseana, Pissed out.
Thirty posts in and he's an editor.

Spalding No!
04-05-2010, 01:52 AM
For sure. A misunderstanding between Paseana when his so far limited posts, and Thaskaloss reply drew heat.
I'm in Thaskalos camp on this one.
I could have just as innocently and easily asked a trivia question on this thread and drawn the same response. In fact I thought about it, asking a trivia question that is.
I stand up against that kind of crap that Paseana, Pisseana, Pissed out.
Thirty posts in and he's an editor.

You know what, I just wanted to use the "don't lose your shoes" line.

I went back and actually read Paseana's complete response (I only read the first line).

You guys are right.

San Juan Capistrano trivia only, please.

Spalding No!
04-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Dahar was out of the great racemare Dahlia, also trained by Whittingham at one point.

However, he is not her only San Juan Capistrano winner.

She produced one more winner of the race in the '90s. The horse in question scored a rather sizable upset, besting 12f world record holder Hawkster and millionaire Frankly Perfect (who broke down).

Name him.

Hint- he was trained by Charlie Whittingham's son, Michael. I think Kent D. rode him.

Greyfox
04-05-2010, 02:03 AM
The first line was: "A bit of trivia please.." (and the thread title.)

Spalding No!
04-05-2010, 02:06 AM
The first line was: "A bit of trivia please.." (and the thread title.)

Yes, but Paseana's was:

"Huh?"

Greyfox
04-05-2010, 02:14 AM
Yes, but Paseana's was:

"Huh?"

You're an honest person.
You don't read beyond the first line.
Paesana's post was:

Huh?

Woody Stephens died in 1998 and Charlie Whittingham died in 1999. What on earth do either one of them have to do with the last decade?

If you're talking about Assmussen or Pletcher, or any other current super-trainer out there, fine. But Stephens and Whittingham make a mockery of all those guys in the test of even recent history.....over the last 30 years or so.

Please explain your post and where you're wanting to go with it, because until you clarify it, it has nothing at all to do with the context of the thread.

nijinski
04-05-2010, 02:32 AM
:sleeping: Dahar was out of the great racemare Dahlia, also trained by Whittingham at one point.

However, he is not her only San Juan Capistrano winner.

She produced one more winner of the race in the '90s. The horse in question scored a rather sizable upset, besting 12f world record holder Hawkster and millionaire Frankly Perfect (who broke down).

Name him.

Hint- he was trained by Charlie Whittingham's son, Michael. I think Kent D. rode him.
Delegant!
:sleeping: gdnite all

Spalding No!
04-05-2010, 02:33 AM
:sleeping:
Delegant!
:sleeping: gdnite all

Excellent.

Spalding No!
04-05-2010, 02:37 AM
You're an honest person.
You don't read beyond the first line.

Friend, I think we too have had a misunderstanding.

I was agreeing with you about the rather rude response from Paseana.

Apparently, we are only allowed San Juan Capistrano trivia until otherwise commanded.

Greyfox
04-05-2010, 02:39 AM
Friend, I think we too have had a misunderstanding.

I was agreeing with you about the rather rude response from Paseana.

Apparently, we are only allowed San Juan Capistrano trivia until otherwise commanded.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: nite all..

Paseana
04-05-2010, 03:13 AM
I am really sorry if I made a mistake here. I'm a pretty new poster, and it's a little difficult to break into an established community. I've done a lot of lurking on this site, and I like what I've seen. I think I have something to offer to the conversation.....I just have to learn the dynamics. Lurking is one thing, but interacting is something completely different.

Apologies to anyone that I offended.

PaceAdvantage
04-05-2010, 03:24 AM
Everyone just be cool...it will all be fine if we all just play it cool... :lol:

It's a message board...no need to pretend it's anything more serious than that...threads do go off topic...not a Federal crime...we try to keep them on topic, but many times they take on lives of their own...either way, it's all good.

Greyfox
04-05-2010, 03:25 AM
I am really sorry if I made a mistake here. I'm a pretty new poster, and it's a little difficult to break into an established community. I've done a lot of lurking on this site, and I like what I've seen. I think I have something to offer to the conversation.....I just have to learn the dynamics. Lurking is one thing, but interacting is something completely different.

Apologies to anyone that I offended.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
04-05-2010, 03:27 AM
No need for apologies...it was a simple misunderstanding. No harm done. Being a relatively new poster here myself, I want to thank Greyfox for rushing to my defense.

illinoisbred
04-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Which trainer has the highest winning percentage in the country over the last decade, with a minimum of 1,000 starts?
I'm guessing-Wayne Catalano?

Maverick58034
04-05-2010, 10:39 AM
I could be way off but Steve Asmussen?

Robert Goren
04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Everyone just be cool...it will all be fine if we all just play it cool... :lol:

It's a message board...no need to pretend it's anything more serious than that...threads do go off topic...not a Federal crime...we try to keep them on topic, but many times they take on lives of their own...either way, it's all good.It is good thing or I would be serving 20 to life. Opps, I think this post just add a couple of years to my sentence.;)

Paseana
04-05-2010, 12:11 PM

My guess would be Hollendorfer.

thaskalos
04-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Chicago's very own...Wayne Catalano (29.6%)

PhantomOnTour
04-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Chicago's very own...Wayne Catalano (29.6%)
Wayne is from New Orleans

thaskalos
04-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Wayne is from New Orleans I know...What I meant by that was that the vast majority of his horses ran in the Chicago area...

illinoisbred
04-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Wayne is from New Orleans
Didn't he live in the 9th ward and cut school to work for Jack VanBerg? His base of operation now is in Illinois having bought a lab,ah, I mean farm in Elgin, Illinois at which he recently purchased and uses a Hyperbaric Chamber.

thaskalos
04-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Everything you said is true...he was also a jockey here in the mid 80s.

thaskalos
04-05-2010, 05:05 PM
As far as the lab is concerned...he has always maintained that he is ..."just a hay, oats and water man."

illinoisbred
04-05-2010, 05:13 PM
That must be some hay,some oats,and some water! The man is phenomenal at getting older claimers to move-up huge in their speed figures. Just check out Dunscombe and Holy Geri-to name 2 recent ones-there's been many others. The Chamber's usage increases oxygen transport in the blood and may cover other more nefarious actions. Wayne has found the fountain of youth for racehorses.

nijinski
04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Excellent.
A lttle late , Thank You!