PDA

View Full Version : Wood vs SA Derby.....

Hanover1
04-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Both have a great history of producing contenders for the big dance. Given what we saw in this years trips, does Lucky appear up to the task, or do you see him as overrated? Does he want any part of Pletchers stock? I did not think he was a good wager from a punters point of view, but he did show grit despite his bad trip. Pletchers horse looked like he was breezing in the A.M. easily in 1:49 and change. Has a bit of a physical advantage from an eye glance as well. Any thoughts? I say look elsewhere for the value come Derby Day.......History has certainly shown us as much as well.

toetoe
04-03-2010, 09:03 PM
He beat nothing, but that's not his fault. Good job by Pletch, bringing him up to the Derby in fine fettle. :ThmbUp: .

I forgot to mention on the Gomez/Espinoza thread that I feared Lookin at Lucky was injured. I haven't heard any bad news so far.

Show Me the Wire
04-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I feared the same.

Hanover1
04-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Funny you guys mentioned that because I shouted out the same thing during the race....I thought I heard the announcer call him pulling up or eased at one time......

Show Me the Wire
04-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Funny you guys mentioned that because I shouted out the same thing during the race....I thought I heard the announcer call him pulling up or eased at one time......

When a horse is checked that hard, sometimes things go amiss. I hope all will remain well.

WinterTriangle
04-03-2010, 09:51 PM
turns out my thoughts about Awesome Act being better than looked today......that odd ride Lep gave him that we saw, holding him back.....

just got emailed that Awesome threw a shoe coming out of the gate, and lep was trying to save the horse

Jasonm921
04-04-2010, 09:40 AM
If thats the case then Julien maybe did the right thing....I killed him on his ride in a previous thread. He may be the one to bet in the Derby....May get 12-1 to 20-1 on him.

Here are some of my pics from the Wood Memorial yesterday.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/

illinoisbred
04-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Love your "a warrior and musket battle it out" photo.

Grits
04-04-2010, 11:07 AM
If thats the case then Julien maybe did the right thing....I killed him on his ride in a previous thread. He may be the one to bet in the Derby....May get 12-1 to 20-1 on him.

Here are some of my pics from the Wood Memorial yesterday.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/

Breaking from the gate, one of your photos, clearly, shows Awesome Act's shoe coming off. What a shame.

Thank you for posting these, they are outstanding!

Jasonm921
04-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah I found that photo after everyone started talking about a possible lost shoe. Illinois....thank you.

Rackon
04-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Love your "a warrior and musket battle it out" photo.

Me too - that's a fabulous shot!

Nice images.

Spalding No!
04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
turns out my thoughts about Awesome Act being better than looked today......that odd ride Lep gave him that we saw, holding him back.....

just got emailed that Awesome threw a shoe coming out of the gate, and lep was trying to save the horse

I'm more worried about Most Happy Fella. According to the picture, his entire right front hoof came off.

the little guy
04-04-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm more worried about Most Happy Fella. According to the picture, his entire right front hoof came off.

Wasn't that in the Cane Pace?

Rackon
04-04-2010, 12:07 PM

What?

Spalding No!
04-04-2010, 12:13 PM

I used the movie "Kingpin" as my inspiration, actually.

We Amish do everything plus half of what you do.

Spalding No!
04-04-2010, 12:17 PM
What?

Sometimes it isn't so much what's on a photograph as what is not.

See the movie "Blow Up" for a more mature treatment of this idea.

Rackon
04-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Quite familiar with Blow Up; I'm so old I saw it in its original American theatrical release (as a young teen, felt quite daring as it was banned by the Legion of Decency for Vanessa's bare boobs). I've seen it many times since.
And BTW, Warner Home Video has NOT done right by this film in its DVD release.
Too dark and it appears slightly edited from its original version. Love to have a Criterion edition.

I've even seen its American homage, Blow Out, by Brian DePalma. Now say you're familiar with Coppola's tribute, The Conversation, and Antonioni's Zabriski Point and L'avventura and I'm prepared to be impressed. Bonus points if you're fond of Resnais' Last Year at Marienbad.

It's surely clear (at least to me) MHF's front hoof is covered by the track footing. Not very mysterious.

Spalding No!
04-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Now say you're familiar with Coppola's tribute, The Conversation, and Antonioni's Zabriski Point and L'avventura and I'm prepared to be impressed. Bonus points if you're fond of Resnais' Last Year at Marienbad.

It's surely clear (at least to me) MHF's front hoof is covered by the track footing. Not very mysterious.

I've heard of those 3, but only seen the last one named.

I like The Passenger because of all the traveling.

I was joking about Most Happy Fella, trying to undermine the significance of Awesome Act's stray shoe.

Rackon
04-04-2010, 03:41 PM
I got it, finally, but it didn't look odd enough to me to even remark on, guess I've seen way too many racing photos.

Or it coulda just been fatigue.:)

ANyway, we could do with some more humor around here.

Oh, and you don't need to go to much effort for Zabriskie Point, one of Antonioni's lesser effort, despite all the ink. Many better.

Longshot Louie
04-07-2010, 10:15 AM

That is funny!