PDA

View Full Version : Boston Lose's a Character.

Suff
07-15-2003, 07:41 AM
I know most of you guys/gals Love characters. I'll tell you about one that died on Sunday.

Ernie Boch. Anyone that spent time in Boston KNOWS this guy.

He went from doing Piece work in a Hew hampshire shoe factory

to being worth over $500 MILLIOn dollars.

He owned Auto Dealeships(10) , (3) Radio Stations and a host of other companies.

he did his own TV commecials. he used Goats, LLammas, sheep, monkeys and all other kinds of crazy animals. He was a real funny bastard.

I knew him..proffessionally at one point and got friendly with him.

I put him in a couple of Racing Partnerships years ago...later when I was selling Private securites he always was willing to give me 20 minutes...But never bought anything from me.

He built a house on Martha's Vineyard. In edgartown Harbor.

The stuffy's did'nt want a "car salesman" living amongst them in the summer and they fought tooth and nail to block the house.
He built it anyway.

a $15 Million dollar addition later on....really burned them.

15,000 square feet, 245 windows, 85 skylights. A real beauty.

He loved Granite. He built his driveway from the finest Granite available and cost him a MILLION dollars for the Granite alone.

He kept a pet Donkey and two pet llammas on the property.

With his property came a few Moorings in Edgartown Harbor. To further aggravate the locals he rented his Moorings out.

Once it was to Herb Chambers, a successful Mercedes dealer here. Herb was anchored in his Yacht at the moooring last year and he looked up to see a Yellow Raft being rowed towards his Yacht. In it was 76 year old Ernie Boch.

He rowed out to collect his Mooring rental. 76 years old.

Herb Chambers later said. Heres a Guy worth 500 million rowing out to collect a $50.00 rental fee.

Boch later Contradicted that by saying. "It was $40.00".

A real character.

http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/boch07152003.htm

If you have a few minutes and want to read a short article about a guy who "did it his way"..... read this one. Takes 5 minutes and is a good read about a good guy.

Lefty
07-15-2003, 03:53 PM
Suff, I never knew this guy and never heard of this guy, BUT, he sounds like MY kinda guy.
Sorry for your and Boston's loss.

Storm Cadet
07-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Sounds like a great guy...we need more like him today!!!

Suff
07-15-2003, 04:13 PM
I did'nt Know "Know" him. I met him 7-8 times. In his office. me doing my Dog n pony show. I'd bait him to talk about "selling"..because he was pure salesman and loved talking about how to "CLOSE" a deal. When I thought I had him in my sights I'd try and close him into one of my deals.

I was way overmatched. But I think the two of us enjoyed the Banter.

Just a person worth pointing out.

I'm an obituary reader anyway. Back in the olden days in Boston. They reffered to the obituraries as "The Irish Comic strip"

Later on we got promoted and they refferred to the Police blotter as the irish comic strip.

Now we run this town.

freeneasy
07-15-2003, 07:53 PM
" if anyone found a car without a price sticker on it then he could have it for free" but its a classic
well wishes to his family