PDA

View Full Version : Excel vs Iwork

redshift1
04-02-2010, 04:12 AM
Anyone try iwork for generating spreadsheets? I normally use excel but iwork comes free with the new macs.

dukeofperl
04-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Anyone try iwork for generating spreadsheets? I normally use excel but iwork comes free with the new macs.

Open Office is also free and it's my understanding the newest version (3.0) has extended the column width from 256 to 1024 and the row depth to 65K.

Although a column width of 1024 still isn't wide enouge for all 1400+ BRIS fields, it's a move in the right direction. If it works as advertised, I'm going to add Open Office Calc V3 as an option in CSVtrimmer.

QuarterCrack
04-02-2010, 11:26 PM
I think iWork is a free *trial* for 30 days on the new iMacs?

Either way, I'm a Mac user but have not used iWork and just have Excel (for Mac) on my iMac and Macbook.

Worst case, you could run Windows via a virtual machine (using Parallels or Fusion or Boot Camp) and still run the Windows version of Excel.

Hopefully someone here has a review of iWork. (I think the spreadsheet program in iWork is called "Numbers".)

redshift1
04-03-2010, 04:50 AM
I think iWork is a free *trial* for 30 days on the new iMacs?

Either way, I'm a Mac user but have not used iWork and just have Excel (for Mac) on my iMac and Macbook.

Worst case, you could run Windows via a virtual machine (using Parallels or Fusion or Boot Camp) and still run the Windows version of Excel.

Hopefully someone here has a review of iWork. (I think the spreadsheet program in iWork is called "Numbers".)

I checked the Apple site again and you are right they charge $30.00 for the complete iworks suite if you buy a new or refurb mac.

Window's and CRT's... wow it's been 5 years

redshift1
04-03-2010, 04:54 AM
Open Office is also free and it's my understanding the newest version (3.0) has extended the column width from 256 to 1024 and the row depth to 65K.

Although a column width of 1024 still isn't wide enouge for all 1400+ BRIS fields, it's a move in the right direction. If it works as advertised, I'm going to add Open Office Calc V3 as an option in CSVtrimmer.

Those are all new to me I'll take a look at them for fun ...thanks.