PDA

View Full Version : How much money will "Seabiscuit" make?

Speed Figure
07-15-2003, 02:21 AM
I hope over $150M.:D

JustRalph
07-15-2003, 04:38 AM
My wife runs a Restaurant near Beverly Hills. She overheard two movie types talking and they were speculating on how many Oscars would come from the movie Seabiscuit. I say it isn't high brow enough for the Artsy Oscar voters. But I will wait to see the movie to pass final judgement. Anybody care to chime in?

JustRalph
07-15-2003, 04:58 AM
Equibase has a page up with the chart from the Match race with War Admiral and lifetime pp's for both.

I was amazed that Seabiscuit went to post 89 times in what looks like 5 years. He also had a match race at Del Mar before he ran against War Admiral. I wasn't aware of that. I should read the book before I see the movie..........

http://www.equibase.com/special/seabiscuit.cfm

GameTheory
07-15-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
My wife runs a Restaurant near Beverly Hills. She overheard two movie types talking and they were speculating on how many Oscars would come from the movie Seabiscuit. I say it isn't high brow enough for the Artsy Oscar voters. But I will wait to see the movie to pass final judgement. Anybody care to chime in?

They ain't all that artsy anymore. Many of those people died or are out of the business. Nevertheless, this is the type of movie that will be nominated, but won't win any of the big awards.

Which restaurant?

Suff
07-15-2003, 01:48 PM
Is it "MOM's" Right on the Beverly Hills/Santa Monica line?

Great Place.

Lefty
07-15-2003, 02:42 PM
JR, EVERYONE should read the book first. Best book I've read in years...

JustRalph
07-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
They ain't all that artsy anymore. Many of those people died or are out of the business. Nevertheless, this is the type of movie that will be nominated, but won't win any of the big awards. Which restaurant?

You are probably right, the older stars that she has had contact with are very different than those of today.

Cheesecake Factory on San Vicente/Brentwood technically.

freeneasy
07-15-2003, 07:20 PM
ill bet cha anything seabiscuit wins an oscar in something. guarnentee it.
for one it s a movie that brings back a great piece of american history. and another thing theres still a lot of hollywood types that were a part of that era to one degree or another. that was a time when i dont think there were more then 10-12 people in the entire country that didnt know who the heck seabiscuit was.
that was a time whenever seabiscuit ran that you would let the bloodhounds out and went and dug up your neighbor bookie, dragged him out of his hiding place and forced your weekly pay into his closed fist and told him to put it all on seabiscuits nose.
the horse was your second paycheck, your added allowence, food on the table, new shoes for the kids, a big kiss from the wife.
the horse was a hero, everybody loved him and everybody bet on him.
for the most part hollywood only cares about itself and not to much else after that and the fix has been in for as long as i can remember and money is its absolute god, and seabiscuit will not break any box office money records so thats strike one. after that strike two can be a myriad of any number of hollywood reasons. and strike three will be that hollywood ruling class hasnt had a heart and soul since day one. but just so that ruling class wont look like be without a conscience i think they'll be forced to give it a token award or two

freeneasy
07-16-2003, 12:07 AM
if the resteraunt were your wife works ever has a stopped up sewer or drain they need a little help on, main line, sinks or floor drains, restrooms ect. give her my number and ill be glad to come out and take care of whatever problems they might be having, its what i do (310) 428-2364 / 313-3447 richard

superfecta
07-16-2003, 12:31 AM
Will wait to see the film before getting too excited.The book was so good,it would have to be in the league of Forrest Gump,or The Shawshank Redemption to please me.Or expect any Oscars.Hope it makes at least 150 million but in this type of year of blockbuster after blockbuster,that is tough to do.Too many movies fighting for your dollars.

Speed Figure
07-16-2003, 01:55 PM
So Far!

Over $150M+ 4/5

Over $125M 11/1

Over $100M 5/1

Over $75M 4/1

Over $50M 99/1

VetScratch
07-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Speed Figure,

If you are making book, I want all you can handle on "Over $50M"!:) :)

Over $150M+ 4/5

Over $125M 11/1

Over $100M 5/1

Over $75M 4/1

Over $50M 99/1

lousycapper
07-16-2003, 11:25 PM
"Jack Klugman and Tim Conway will win Oscars for their cameo roles... Movie should gross many, many doll hairs. Heh, heh!"

-L.C.

Speed Figure
07-16-2003, 11:32 PM
VetScratch, I'll take the book but, you will have to bet that the movie will not make over $50M. It was 99/1 now it's 25/1 with that 1 vote.

VetScratch
07-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Speed figure
I Must have missed something. Didn't see any Under props!!

Speed Figure
07-16-2003, 11:38 PM
Those odds are just for fun.

VetScratch
07-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Of course, and so was my post. Fun is essential to maintaining your sanity as a horseplayer.

maxwell
07-23-2003, 11:47 AM
If the movie is as good as the book, it will do very well at the box office.

I've seen a few commercials and they are very good.

One line by the owner of 'Biscuit goes: " My horse is too small, my jockey is too big, my trainer is too old, and I'm too dumb to know the difference".

I love it :)