PDA

View Full Version : ipad

eddie10
04-02-2010, 01:02 AM
ipad does not suport adobe flash,does anyone know of a online service that uses a video player that would support apple player.

thorobasePA
04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Are you asking about any online video service?

A few media companies will be releasing HTML5 versions of their video streaming players. ABC, CBS, Hulu, Netflix are all rumoured to have built or are building such player.

Apple won't support Adobe Flash. Adobe Flash 10.1 is due to be released soon with support for certain non-Apple mobile devices.

eddie10
04-02-2010, 07:18 PM
thanks, I was thinking of an online betting servicce like youbet.

SchagFactorToWin
04-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I haven't been able to find an ADW that displays video on an iPad/iPhone. Bet, yes, but no video. If I find anything, I'll post. Please do the same.

I believe it's just a matter of time before someone has them available. With the iPad's form factor and touch screen, I'd be using it around the clock!

chickenhead
04-03-2010, 01:09 PM
there are going to be a lot of tablets coming out this year having different OS's on them, Windows, Chrome OS, and others -- the Apples will be the only one without Flash.

For horseracing-o-philes -- something with the full internet is probably going to be a better option.

JustRalph
04-03-2010, 04:25 PM
no flash might be a deal breaker for me

CBedo
04-03-2010, 05:08 PM
The HP tablets look promising and they have said that a big part of their strategy will be undercutting Apple prices.

eddie10
04-03-2010, 10:40 PM
I suppose I can watch tvg while using ipad.somtimes they run a race a little late.

turfnsport
04-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Here is a look at the HP Slate
http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/Voodoo-Blog/HP-s-Slate-Device-Runs-The-Complete-Internet-Including-Flash/ba-p/53838;jsessionid=502BDB803C6E05C2D7B7E88FD9DD347E

rrbauer
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Is it true that ipad can't multi-task?

DJofSD
04-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Slate looks interesting but I suspect there still exists a problem regarding ebooks.

ebooks are of interest to me but I hesitate to jump in for a couple of reasons.

First, I absolutely do not want to be tied to a particular device/vendor. By that I mean I don't want to be locked into B&N's Nook -- I can't buy an ebook from Amazon to read on my Nook or vice versa.

Second, most (all?) ebooks are stored on a vendor's server. You do not actually take delivery of a copy on your device. B&N does half-way address one problem with this model, that is, being able to loan out a book. However, I'm of the old school, so, if I make a purchase of a new title, I want a copy of it -- hard or soft -- and not just the right to access it. There are ways to implement and enforce DRM but there does not seem to be much interest in persuing those solutions.

While iPad does address some of the concerns I have about ebooks, it still is too retrictive and I will not buy one -- despite it appearing to be a nice toy and definitely does have other desirable features. I wish I had the time to develop some handicapping S/W for this platform.

CBedo
04-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Slate looks interesting but I suspect there still exists a problem regarding ebooks.

ebooks are of interest to me but I hesitate to jump in for a couple of reasons.

First, I absolutely do not want to be tied to a particular device/vendor. By that I mean I don't want to be locked into B&N's Nook -- I can't buy an ebook from Amazon to read on my Nook or vice versa.

Second, most (all?) ebooks are stored on a vendor's server. You do not actually take delivery of a copy on your device. B&N does half-way address one problem with this model, that is, being able to loan out a book. However, I'm of the old school, so, if I make a purchase of a new title, I want a copy of it -- hard or soft -- and not just the right to access it. There are ways to implement and enforce DRM but there does not seem to be much interest in persuing those solutions.

While iPad does address some of the concerns I have about ebooks, it still is too retrictive and I will not buy one -- despite it appearing to be a nice toy and definitely does have other desirable features. I wish I had the time to develop some handicapping S/W for this platform.I understand your concerns, but a few of your statements aren't exactly right.

First off, I can't speak for the Nook, but with the kindle, they do store your library for you in the cloud, but you actually do get a copy on your local device. Otherwise, you'd have to have an internet connection all the time to read it. That wouldn't make much sense. I don't think that's probably what you were speaking of; now if you're speaking of the DRM issues, that's a whole other ball game, and yes you are right, you only get one copy, and it's hard to pass on.

Secondly, I'm not an iPad supporter (for now, it's an oversized, overpriced iPod Touch), but as far as ebooks go, you would have choices. Besides for iTunes & whatever Apple offers up, kindle has announced (probably launched?) an app for iPad, just as they have apps for pcs, macs & iphones (I actually have all three as well as my kindle).

JustRalph
04-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Ipad indeed cannot multi task....one program at a time

You don't have to own a kindle to read their books....... I have the program on my PC.......just bought the wife a Kindle for Anniversary Gift......take delivery tomorrow.........

thorobasePA
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
The iPhone OS doesn't support third-party multitasking; the processor itself is more than capable of handling multi-threading and there is some multi-tasking already taking place of course (you've experienced this if you've ever listened to an album while browsing for instance).

The problem is the Apple devices use flash memory which means there is no swap and limited memory available. If you ran a lot of apps, the OS has to manage Out Of Memory exceptions and shut down backround apps. This is complex and users don't like it when the app they were using suddenly is back at square one.

The Android platform does support MT by saving applications state periodically in pieces and then tying them together once a backround app regains focus.

FYI Apple have scheduled an event April 8th to talk about iPhone OS 4.0, at many expect multi-tasking to be announced. We shall see.

eddie10
04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
The way to go.http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224201358

Dave Schwartz
04-05-2010, 11:41 PM
IMHO, this will be the first I-Failure.

Pace Cap'n
04-05-2010, 11:56 PM

I-mpossible.

pktruckdriver
04-06-2010, 12:46 AM

Not a complete failure, but not like the I-pod and I-phone for sure,
as this thing is kind of like a "Kindle , just a suped up model, IMO...

Thou I still would love a Kindle, or similar piece of electronic device, as I still have some reading left to do.

Patrick

Still trying to figure out the MP3 player:mad:

letswastemoney
04-06-2010, 01:28 AM
I don't like the iPad, but I kind of get why it will be popular.

People who don't understand computers will be drawn in by the simplicity. Many people do not like options. They like few options with restrictions, because they don't have to think about what they are doing. They could click touch their finger where it says "Internet" on the iPad screen, without worrying whether they are using IE, Firefox, or Chrome. They just know it's the internet and they're happy about that.

And the coolness factor when you're sitting in a Starbucks with an iPad will be off the charts, even if I don't agree with it.

OTM Al
04-06-2010, 10:43 AM
no flash might be a deal breaker for me

Was for me. Really wanted one until I found this out.

thorobasePA
04-06-2010, 01:01 PM
There were 300,000 iPads sold on opening days.

There are over 40 different manufacturers going to be releasing tablets this year. Another one launched over the weekend (bad timing eh?) called the JooJoo (formerly known as the CrunchPad) to poor reviews.

Apart from the HP Slate (which will run tablet version of Windows 7), there will be the German-built WePad, ICD Gemini (very good specs) etc. Most of the tablets will be using the Google open-sourced Android OS platform, will supports Adobe Flash.

This is nascent technology and having so much choice, while at time bewildering, shows how fast the mobile device industry continues to move.

chickenhead
04-06-2010, 02:42 PM
I think the Atom devices still have a ways to go to get the sort of battery performance people want, I think the ARM devices are going to make people happier -- which kind of rules out Windows 7 for the time being. That really leaves only the Linux stuff, with Android and Chrome OS probably being the best hope for a good non-Apple tablet, soon. There are already some 5" Android "MIDs" coming out that are looking pretty interesting for around $200. Most of them seem to be running older versions, unfortunately.

Seems like everyone is waiting for the Tegra 2 to come out, and we'll see a lot of interesting, pretty powerful devices with nifty battery life.

JWBurnie
04-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Once they get all the glitches out, release the 3Gs, I think iPad's will take off.
I see a huge market for retirees. Why pay for home service when you can get it through the iPad for $30 (e-mail, internet, movies, books, apps (recipes, how to manauls, maps, etc.)? Of course, they'd still need to maintain a home PC for financial purposes, but thats a lot more secure and significantly cheaper.

pktruckdriver
04-06-2010, 04:59 PM
30.00 for unlimited stuff, no way, look at the IPhone, how much are the app's that you need to run it with, I'm not sure but they aren't free are they?

If they are then, my bad.

What about Netflix and Blockbuster, they'd have fits with free movies at only a 30 monthly fee, no??

this thing reads books too, unlimited or 50.00 a book, ???

I still think it will fade away, like the Kindle.....see what I mean

Once they get all the glitches out, release the 3Gs, I think iPad's will take off.
I see a huge market for retirees. Why pay for home service when you can get it through the iPad for $30 (e-mail, internet, movies, books, apps (recipes, how to manauls, maps, etc.)? Of course, they'd still need to maintain a home PC for financial purposes, but thats a lot more secure and significantly cheaper.

JustRalph
04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I still think it will fade away, like the Kindle.....see what I mean

Hey Truckin Nostradamus, Amazon has sold over 3 million Kindles in the last 2 yrs. They sell 6 Digital Versions of a book for every ten hard copies. When that number gets to 8-9 for the digital books, the tipping point will be reached. They won't go away. If you were a bookseller or Publisher, would you give up half of your market at that point ?

From the Feb 1st 2010 Report from Amazon:

CEO Jeff Bezos says "millions" are using the Kindle e-reader, and e-book sales are gaining on sales of physical books.

"In releasing fourth quarter financial results Thursday, Amazon Chief Executive Jeff Bezos said the retailer sells six books for the Kindle for every 10 physical books with the same titles. The ratio is year-to-date, and the total number of Kindle books downloaded would be higher, if Amazon counted free books.

"Millions of people now own Kindles," Bezos said in a statement.

For the quarter ended Dec. 31, Amazon reported profit of $384 million, or 85 cents a share, a 71% increase from $225 million, or 52 cents a share, the same period a year ago. Revenue rose 42% to $9.52 billion from $6.7 billion a year ago.

Amazon is forecasting for the first quarter of 2010 revenue between $6.45 billion and $7 billion, or between 32% and 43% higher than the same period in 2009.

Some analysts estimate the Kindle accounts for about 60% of the e-reader market, with the Sony Reader a distant second. In an attempt to hold on to its No. 1 position in the face of increasing competition, Amazon this month introduced a software development kit for independent developers to build applications for the devices.

The applications would be sold through the Kindle Store, using a self-service publishing platform. Amazon is offering developers a revenue split of 30% to Amazon and 70% to the developer."

Should be interesting what kind of apps could be developed. I can tell you this, The women I know who own them, rave about them. They just love it. I have yet to see a guy who used one, ? I just bought one for the wife, it is charging right now. Haven't played with it yet..........we shall see.

chickenhead
04-06-2010, 05:44 PM
yeah, the Kindle has been a large success for a relatively expensive consumer item. No doubt Amazon is very pleased with the results.

My issue is that I don't buy many new releases right away, and it's usually cheaper to get the paper books than an ebook would be. I do like the idea of ebook readers and not having so many damn books laying around.

Pace Cap'n
04-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I know a guy, hates computers, likes to read, got a Kindle, says it's the nuts.

pktruckdriver
04-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Does IPAD or Kindle, or the Nook or the Sony Reader, actually know how to speak the book.

yes like an audio book, but not quite ,as all books are not in audio form, but this would make them so, does this technology exist in these machine's??

Still think Kindle's are cool, wish I had one, or the nook, but don't and now we have IPAD, still think the app's are too much and 30.00 a month seems unreal for this.

Seems that one could spend hundreds a month on these things, and will eventually go back to laptop's, IMO

rrbauer
04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Local library is the best library (regional network of 8 libraries) that I've ever encountered. Complete online catalog. They are quick to get new releases and respond to patron requests for new books. Although I do buy a hardcover from time to time 90% of my reads are from their shelves.

Remember the Newton? This e-reader technology is a long ways from being settled.

OTM Al
04-08-2010, 09:50 AM
I might be back on board now when I saw this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B0l0iyco-A

can't go through the Twin Spires regular web site, but it does work through the mobile site to watch video

rrbauer
04-08-2010, 10:31 AM
ipad review (Mossberg column) in today's WSJ. Pretty unflattering and he is usually very upbeat about Apple's products. Negatives include no native printing capability; no USB ports; no battery replacement (Apple replaces the whole ipad unit so you must be backed up/synced to another device or lose your apps, data, etc.); no multi-tasking (although mt is possible but Apple has restricted access to their own stuff); and, keyboard issues.

Stevie Belmont
04-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Anyway you look at it--the iPad is a revolutionary device. The video is brilliant. And the battery lasts up to 10 hours...that's Amazing.

With that said—I would wait for the next one, and besides I don't really need one—own a Macbook and an iTouch...

JustRalph
04-18-2010, 12:30 AM
I have had the Kindle for a week or so now. Love it. I can sit out on the deck in bright sunlight and read just like a real book. It is small...... you can tuck that sucker under your arm and carry it just about anywhere. It fits in the wife's purse easy too. Runs forever on a charge.

I can say this.....you will spend more to buy some books, instead of the cheap paperbacks etc at 4 bucks or whatever. But at 6-8 bucks which is what I have purchased a few older books at, not having to carry them or discard them is worth it to me. Normally every year or so I am trying to find a home for a bunch of books....or trashing them (which kills me) including magazines. I bought the readers digest on Kindle and that was nice for light reading. $1.49
or 11 bucks for the year.

I spent about 15 minutes fondling an IPad at the Apple store tonight. At 8:20p in the mall, they were lined up out the door :bang:

You cannot buy one, they are on back order, but you can play with a group of about 20 they had out for review. Needless to say, Hand disinfectant was flying around like crazy.

I loved the thing. It was very fast and very thin bodied. It feels great in your hand. I thought the screen was actually kind of small. But in landscape mode it makes all the difference. I thought the keyboard was actually pretty easy to use. The Bluetooth external keyboard would probably be very nice.

The screen is very crisp.....but I noticed it doesn't handle glare that well. It would probably be awful outside in the sun.

I think the Wepad with an 11 inch screen as opposed to the Ipad's 9.6 will be very interesting to see............ still on the fence.......may still buy an Ipad.

turfnsport
04-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Ralph,

Have you tried pdf PP's on the Kindle?