PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Reported "On Verge" of Expanding Basketball Playoff to 96 Teams

Overlay
04-02-2010, 12:25 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/If-NCAA-expands-it-will-be-to-96-teams-040110

How 'bout those brackets? :)

Overlay
04-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Also, if the NCAA expanded, that would just about be the death knell for the NIT, wouldn't it? (The current NIT winner's bragging rights ("We're Number 66!") are bad enough, but "We're Number 97!" would seem to be beyond the pale.)

OTM Al
04-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Post season NIT is done though they may keep up with the pre season version. Once it was the better tourny until the NCAA started its expansions. Funny fact is that the NIT actually won a lawsuit against the NCAA for doing this. Only reason I know is NYU was one of the long time host schools despite not having a Div I team for a very long time and I remember when we got a miniscule settlement payment.

headhawg
04-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Not surprising but a terrible idea. Teams with 14 or 15 losses are going to get in. Are you kidding me? I think it's just that coaches of those extra 32 teams get to tell their recruits that their schools got into the NCAA tournament. It's pathetic.

But then again, I haven't been that interested since they put the shot clock in. Yeah. Making the game like the NBA has really created a better, more enjoyable game. :rolleyes: Remember the year when Princeton almost beat Georgetown? To me, that was basketball the way it should be played not this urbanized, undisciplined crap they play now.

Robert Goren
04-02-2010, 11:41 AM
I think they should put them all in and make it double elimination.:)

Valuist
04-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Also, if the NCAA expanded, that would just about be the death knell for the NIT, wouldn't it? (The current NIT winner's bragging rights ("We're Number 66!") are bad enough, but "We're Number 97!" would seem to be beyond the pale.)

Might be the death knell for the NCAA as well. Why mess with something that isn't broke. No reason to water down the product. This is the doing of the coach's. Screw them.

OTM Al
04-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Might be the death knell for the NCAA as well. Why mess with something that isn't broke. No reason to water down the product. This is the doing of the coach's. Screw them.

I really doubt that and what's so magical about 65 teams? Wasn't broke when it was just 64 or 48 or 32 either. Indiana High School basketball tourney used to be awesome. Everyone played all in one tourney. Not that way anymore and that seems more a loss to me. Why shouldn't it just be the winners of each conference for that matter?

sandpit
04-02-2010, 01:08 PM
How come these morons at the NCAA can expand the bball tourney ad infinitum but can't figure out how to have and 8 or 16 team football playoff? The bball guys are going to miss more school because of this; I guess the education the bball players getting less important than that of the football players?

Valuist
04-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I really doubt that and what's so magical about 65 teams? Wasn't broke when it was just 64 or 48 or 32 either. Indiana High School basketball tourney used to be awesome. Everyone played all in one tourney. Not that way anymore and that seems more a loss to me. Why shouldn't it just be the winners of each conference for that matter?

Was it as big when it was 48 teams or before that? That is debateable. Of course we can argue that its much more popular now because the media has a much bigger presence now.

I think the reason its popular is the tourney brackets. Many, many casual fans become interested. If you make it too big, some may say forget it, I won't bother.

OTM Al
04-02-2010, 02:48 PM
The only thing they could possibly do to kill it is re-seed at some point during the tournament. That would blow the whole bracket thing and a big chunk of the viewership would vanish immediately.

LottaKash
04-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Greed...........

best,

Marshall Bennett
04-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Not surprising but a terrible idea. Teams with 14 or 15 losses are going to get in. Are you kidding me? I
Not a lot different than the NBA and their stupid playoff format where teams with losing records often make post season play .
Glad I'm not a basketball fan because most all of it stinks .

rrbauer
04-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Just one more reason for "students" to spend their time on something other than education. They should draw the original 32 (or 48 or whatever) games from a hat and let them play it out. It was never enough that regular season champions got into the NCAA tournament--they had to have conference tournaments. It was never enough that conference tournament winners got into the NCAA tounament--they had to have "at large" selections. The selection committee does their annual pontification and sometimes their annointments show up and sometimes they don't. All this expansion does is give the NCAA more reason to manipulate the process and engage in their ongoing game of institutional narcissism. If you think that this is about anything other than $$$....

onefast99
04-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Pre-season NIT is still being played. The NCAA owns the NIT now and it has lost money on this tourney so the new 96 team format will eliminate the need for the NIT. The big problem here is the major conferences will theoretically be playing for nothing in their respective conference tournies. This year the Big East would have had 12 of their 16 teams in a 96 team format. The top 8 seeds in each of the regions will get a bye. I think it will be a lot of fun for us college basketball fans.

skate
04-02-2010, 09:10 PM
no good, takes away from the curiosity, now everyone gets to go with 96 teams.

puts the nit out of business, should be called Monopoly, but now that seems to work with the times.

Proves nothing but it will tend to confuse the outcome.

BetHorses!
04-03-2010, 09:22 AM
heard the top 8 seeds in each region will have byes

onefast99
04-09-2010, 09:03 AM
no good, takes away from the curiosity, now everyone gets to go with 96 teams.

puts the nit out of business, should be called Monopoly, but now that seems to work with the times.

Proves nothing but it will tend to confuse the outcome.
The NCAA owns the NIT now, they can't justify two tournies and as reported by the NCAA they lost a lot of money on the NIT.

Canadian
04-16-2010, 03:49 AM
But then again, I haven't been that interested since they put the shot clock in. Yeah. Making the game like the NBA has really created a better, more enjoyable game. :rolleyes: Remember the year when Princeton almost beat Georgetown? To me, that was basketball the way it should be played not this urbanized, undisciplined crap they play now.

Happy 100th birthday!!!

skate
04-17-2010, 12:44 PM
The NCAA owns the NIT now, they can't justify two tournies and as reported by the NCAA they lost a lot of money on the NIT.

But but but you see that it did not always 'used to be', NIT, at one time, did dominate.

Competition is best

onefast99
04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
68 teams and the NIT pre and post season lives. I really don't remember the last time there was more than 3 or 4 teams who really should have been part of the big dance. Now everyone should be happy.

BlueShoe
05-01-2010, 12:44 AM
1. Cease the end of season conference tournaments.
2. 32 teams.
3. Double elimination in early rounds.
4. Single elimination from the final four onward.

onefast99
05-02-2010, 08:05 PM
1. Cease the end of season conference tournaments.
2. 32 teams.
3. Double elimination in early rounds.
4. Single elimination from the final four onward.
Too complicated. The tourney is perfect with 68 teams. A double elimination tourney would take a month and no conference tournies leaves out those who get hot at just the right time of year, tourney time!