PDA

View Full Version : Slow computer

Tom
04-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Mine was slower than a trip to the library. Almost unusable.
I went to PCPitstop.com and ran their free scan and the change is amazing! Both normal operations and the new are noticable faster now.

Well worth the time spent. :ThmbUp:

pktruckdriver
04-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Okay what did you do?

Is this like all those website that give you free tests and show a million things wrong, and only fix 10 unless you subscribe,???

Sites like Registry Cleaner

PCTools

CCleaner

What does this cost, Sir?

As my computer is very very very very evry slow using Wi-Fi connections from the truckstops, which are faster, about 54mbs, some faster, than my computer is going.

Some basic stuff, takes forever and a day to download or watch, like weather channel forcast's, etc..., they should stream right thru, but nope or anything else, and this computer is only a month or so old..

Patrick

Tom
04-03-2010, 12:46 AM
It did a bunch of stuff for free and then listed a lot of other stuff it could do and had a program to see, but I never buy - just use the free scan every so often. It was very noticable afterwards.

I use CCleaner for free every day. Sometimes twice, then it cuts the cost in half. ;)

headhawg
04-03-2010, 11:13 AM
CCleaner

What does this cost, Sir?

As my computer is very very very very evry slow using Wi-Fi connections from the truckstops, which are faster, about 54mbs, some faster, than my computer is going.
CCleaner is still free. Just download from the FileHippo link. The donation is optional.

Your computer speed has very little to do with your Wi-Fi connection. The theoretical bandwidth is 54 Mbps but in reality the best you can do is perhaps 36 Mbps and that's if you're sitting right on top of the Access Point. More likely you're going to be in the low 20s or less the further away you are from the AP. But that's just how fast the data gets to your machine (your connection speed), not how fast it is processed (your computer speed).

People's computers run slow for a variety of reasons but mostly they don't have enough RAM, there is some kind of malware on their system, or they have too many programs running at Windows startup. Most people have newer systems so RAM is not likely the issue but Vista/Win7 need at least 2GB and will run much better with 3GB or more.

If you are on the Internet a lot or you download and install of lot of things (or open emails with attachments) you need to scan your computer with an antivirus program once per week. (Good free ones are Avira and Microsoft Security Essentials.) They run in real time, but a full scan should still be done. Also, AV programs do not check for the same things as anti-spyware programs so use Malwarebyes and/or SuperAntiSpyware in addition to your AV program. Again, scan at least once per week.

To see what programs start when Windows starts you should run MSCONFIG. If you have a lot of programs listed it is likely that they are using up too many resources unnecessarily. You need to determine which ones need to be loaded at Windows startup and uncheck the ones that don't need to be.

To optimize XP, Vista, and Win7 I highly recommend using the guides at TweakGuides.com. You will be surprised at how much you will learn about optimizing Windows. Be advised the pdf files are long -- the guy who wrote these is very thorough, but the info in the guides is well worth the effort.

Tom
04-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Very informative post! :ThmbUp:

CBedo
04-03-2010, 05:06 PM
The best thing you can do to improve the performance of a windows machine is to do a clean install of the OS every 12-18 months.

Robert Goren
04-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I did the PCPitStop thing and Tom is right. Things got a lot faster after the free scan. Tom, you are now the resident computer geek.

DRIVEWAY
04-03-2010, 07:09 PM
The best thing you can do to improve the performance of a windows machine is to do a clean install of the OS every 12-18 months.

Absolutely.

headhawg
04-03-2010, 08:01 PM
The best thing you can do to improve the performance of a windows machine is to do a clean install of the OS every 12-18 months.That still may not get rid of any malware, and if one does regular computer maintenance it's probably unnecessary to do a reinstall. Plus, it's a PITA as you have to reinstall all of your apps as well. I'm not disagreeing just saying that it's a lot of downtime for what is likely very little gain.

DRIVEWAY
04-03-2010, 09:06 PM
During my business days we depreciated our PC's at 1% per week. After a couple years the units were valued at 15% of original purchase.

We'd pull them off line and upgrade disk/memory and install the latest OS and APP software.

At 4 years the units were cleaned up and sold to employees for $50-100.

My point is that at a certain point 2 1/2 to 4 years out replacement is reasonable.

I know people with 8-10 year old PC's that they paid $2000 for and feel compelled to repair for $300. There's a point to move on. Today you can buy a new laptop with windows 7 for as little as $300-400.

turfnsport
04-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I went to pcpitstop, hit the Optimize free scan, and when it was done it wanted to charge me.

Then I went to the "free test drive" and it did the same... wanted $49.95

Am I on the wrong page?

pktruckdriver
04-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Me too nothing free, unless you sign up for more Bullshyt

I thought this was a free thing, it is not

Tom
04-03-2010, 10:19 PM
It did a bunch of stuff for free and then listed a lot of other stuff it could do and had a program to see, but I never buy - just use the free scan every so often.

Did you take the free scan?
Did you see a difference?

pktruckdriver
04-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Do you download the program keep and each day do a free scan?

I downloaded it, did the free thing and when I went to fix ,it wanted money and then I un-installed it!!!!

During the un-install it tried to sell me more BS, and I could have it free, yeah free my azz.

Guess nothing is free, shuda known

patrick

DRIVEWAY
04-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Do you download the program keep and each day do a free scan?

I downloaded it, did the free thing and when I went to fix ,it wanted money and then I un-installed it!!!!

During the un-install it tried to sell me more BS, and I could have it free, yeah free my azz.

Guess nothing is free, shuda known

patrick

Do you regularly do disk cleanup and disk defrag on you PC? Apparently the scan found some problems on your PC.

Do the Cleanup and Defrag under system tools and then try scan again? Hopefully, this will fix your problem. If there are still problems record what they say is wrong.

Defrag takes a while. Maybe do it overnight.

pktruckdriver
04-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Okay will do thanks

Hosshead
04-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Tom, After the free scan did it fix the problems for free, or did you have to delete them one at a time yourself?
How did you fix the problems after it found them?

pktruckdriver
04-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Tom, After the free scan did it fix the problems for free, or did you have to delete them one at a time yourself?
How did you fix the problems after it found them?

I'm curious too, but honestly thinks he's just gets the free fixes and that's it, am I right, Sir??