PDA

View Full Version : lady on TVG

lamboguy
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
i have been listening to TVG this evening, this lady i think her name is michelle, is commenting on the looks of older geldings running in date races from 3000 miles away in california for the penn national adn charlietown tracks.

she is commenting on how one is so good looking and is real muscular and built right. i got to hand it to her, she actually picked a winner looking at the horses right on television. i could never pick one of those older horses on looks if i was 6 inches away from them

Ejmenz
03-31-2010, 08:56 PM
She's had good success at this for a couple of weeks now, I smell a new show brewing.

Relwob Owner
03-31-2010, 08:58 PM
i have been listening to TVG this evening, this lady i think her name is michelle, is commenting on the looks of older geldings running in date races from 3000 miles away in california for the penn national adn charlietown tracks.

she is commenting on how one is so good looking and is real muscular and built right. i got to hand it to her, she actually picked a winner looking at the horses right on television. i could never pick one of those older horses on looks if i was 6 inches away from them

Lambo,

Question for ya....they are showing CT races? If so, do you or anyone else know why you cant bet on CT on TVG? Sorry to drift the topic but I figured you might know....

If that is the girl I think it is, she has been annoying at times IMO but has made a few nice picks/observations...

lamboguy
03-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Lambo,

Question for ya....they are showing CT races? If so, do you or anyone else know why you cant bet on CT on TVG? Sorry to drift the topic but I figured you might know....

If that is the girl I think it is, she has been annoying at times IMO but has made a few nice picks/observations...
sometimes the tracks have limitatons on tracks with close proximity's to the track. i run into that with people that live near penn national that i have as clients on a different adw.

not only does god have it in for horseplayer's, but plenty of times the tracks do too!

bob77713
03-31-2010, 09:24 PM
The other day she was on a roll and picked a few winners in a row. One of the announcers asked her what she looks for. She said nothing in particular, like their head arched at a 45 degree angle, but that she's just been around horses long enough to know what horses look good. She has good instincts.

sandpit
03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Michelle Yu; she is Julien Leparoux's ex...she's done field reporting for TVG for a while now, mostly from CD and Kee...

Grits
03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Michelle Yu; she is Julien Leparoux's ex...she's done field reporting for TVG for a while now, mostly from CD and Kee...

Ex . . . .

My Lord, Sandpit, I didn't think he'd been over here from France long enough to have an ex!!! :lol:

This stuff flips me out, young men go through women like Sherman went through Atlanta.:lol:

QuarterCrack
03-31-2010, 10:10 PM
I can never figure her out.

Sometimes she comes across like a dumb broad.
Sometimes she comes across like an extremely knowledgable physicality handicapper.

She plays both roles well, as if they want her to be two different things depending on which show/hosts happen to have her on.

:confused:

turfnsport
03-31-2010, 10:19 PM
This is what I hate about TVG...The idea might be good, but why not use Lyons or Bray, former trainers...Does Michelle have any experience to be talking about conformation?

pandy
03-31-2010, 11:17 PM
So far from what I've seen her instincts are pretty good, and that's what matters. She was picking horses out from the feeds today without having any past performances.

Mineshaft
03-31-2010, 11:34 PM
she got a nice tattoo behind her left ear

Relwob Owner
03-31-2010, 11:37 PM
This is what I hate about TVG...The idea might be good, but why not use Lyons or Bray, former trainers...Does Michelle have any experience to be talking about conformation?

She shows up and isnt constantly "hoarse" or doesnt have a "cold".....that puts her ahead of Lyons in those ways.....

turfnsport
03-31-2010, 11:45 PM
She shows up and isnt constantly "hoarse" or doesnt have a "cold".....that puts her ahead of Lyons in those ways.....

LOL.. true... and she is better to look at too.

Relwob Owner
03-31-2010, 11:53 PM
LOL.. true... and she is better to look at too.

You got that right! I am still pretty loyal to Christina O.....anything is better than what they have on now, which is a piece of when Greg Wolf went to jockeys school abt 5 years ago....what is even sadder is that I am watching it...:)

point given
03-31-2010, 11:54 PM

Boy, that's real inspection handicapping ! :lol:

ruffian75
04-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Well, I am not sure why anyone thinks she is dumb. She is intelligent to me. She has been around horses forever. And, she wrote a pretty darn good article with Robby Albarado in the most recent issue of Stride Magazine.

http://issuu.com/stridemagonline/docs/stride2

lamboguy
04-01-2010, 01:59 AM
in my early days of horserace betting i used to go to the fairs in new england with this girl that grew up with and around horses. when the horses were in the paddock and went onto the track she used to look at them all with a watchfull eye. before they went to the gate she watched the horses stride out on the track and she used to say to me that such and such horse was off on his left hind, or right front. she was right so often it made my head spin. i tried to learn from her but i just didn't have the touch. these were all bottom horses and we went from fair to fair for the whole summer and made money. back in those days there was basically only wps show betting and maybe 1 or 2 exacta's for the day. we did very well. at the end of the summer we were driving back and forth from northampton to saratoga. we had a great time and the racetracks were packed back then with plenty of life around.

i started this thread because it brought back memories of what i used to do before i stayed at home to bet. this new gal on tvg has brought a different aspect to the game that many have forgot about through the years, but still works. not everyone can look at horses myself included and pick winner's. but some can.it seems like this michelle gal has the touch!

Bettowin
04-01-2010, 02:09 AM
in my early days of horserace betting i used to go to the fairs in new england with this girl that grew up with and around horses. when the horses were in the paddock and went onto the track she used to look at them all with a watchfull eye. before they went to the gate she watched the horses stride out on the track and she used to say to me that such and such horse was off on his left hind, or right front. she was right so often it made my head spin. i tried to learn from her but i just didn't have the touch. these were all bottom horses and we went from fair to fair for the whole summer and made money. back in those days there was basically only wps show betting and maybe 1 or 2 exacta's for the day. we did very well. at the end of the summer we were driving back and forth from northampton to saratoga. we had a great time and the racetracks were packed back then with plenty of life around.

i started this thread because it brought back memories of what i used to do before i stayed at home to bet. this new gal on tvg has brought a different aspect to the game that many have forgot about through the years, but still works. not everyone can look at horses myself included and pick winner's. but some can.it seems like this michelle gal has the touch!

Was her name Bonnie by chance? As in Ledbetter?

Great book to read if it wasn't.

Marshall Bennett
04-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Then I need not look any further . :)

Ejmenz
04-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Simon and Frank are always willing to tell you how great the favorite appears on the track, Michelle picks longshots, and so far they perform at a good rate, I'll keep watching and tracking her results, but for someone like me who has ZERO ability in that area, it's very intriguing.

I'll pay attention regardless of who's show she pops up on.

She needs to join the ladies show with Christina, Nancy, and Matt.

ruffian75
04-02-2010, 07:12 AM
You would be surprised at how well true horse people do at discerning how a horse moves and how sound they are. They can look right at a $15000 claimer and tell you, "He would be a great show horse." I think Michelle Yu is one of those people.

lamboguy
04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
one thing for sure, it is an art to be able to tell the physicality of a horse especially on television. i know of a crew of guys that came from conneticut that look at feet in saratoga and gulfstream and have been doing it for 50 years now. they look for maiden races where horses are making their first start on turf and see if they have a turf foot, and if the horses feet are like pancakes. they were real good at it, but you can't see tell the horses feet from a television set, you have to be there.

years ago when it rained in east boston there were literally hundreds of people that came to the track to look for mudfeet.

the moral of these story's are that people went to all kinds of extents to gain an edge in betting on horseracing. in order to do well you had to first know what you are doing and second have a great eye. today people sit at home and crunch pacefigures and sheets and think they have an edge at the game.

with the advent of all the communications via computers and cell phones i can still get some kind of an idea on how a horse looks on a racetrack from people that i have known for years that still don't miss a day going to the track.