View Full Version : What date should I post the Derby Picks

Igeteven
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM
If anyone knows me, I make a big deal out of the Derby

What date should I post to start the thread

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

tribecaagent
03-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I think the fun of the KY Derby is finding a horse early on and following his development. I favor Dublin.

Who is your early selection?

Igeteven
03-30-2010, 11:09 PM
I think the fun of the KY Derby is finding a horse early on and following his development. I favor Dublin.

Who is your early selection?

I will not post it until 10 days before the Derby and then my horse can be still can be scratch out of the race.

Trotman
03-30-2010, 11:10 PM
This weekend's Wood Memorial should clear a few things up
for me. At this point in time I'm leaning towards Ice Box with one or two that could change my mind.

PhantomOnTour
03-30-2010, 11:51 PM
As of now the Derby looks faster than average pacewise. Lotsa quality speed looks like they will go (Rule,Sidney's Candy, Discreetly Mine, Super Saver (?) etc...) and Lookin At Lucky seems to be the main beneficiary, IMO.
A midpack trip and some traffic luck should leave him with no excuses. I look for Baffert to give this guy a bit of a speed prep, if you will, at SA this wknd and have him on his toes come May1st. Big striding colt has that long CD stretch to get in gear, and when he does...

Ofcourse, things can and will change for some horse this weekend, so let's wait and see.

WinterTriangle
03-30-2010, 11:56 PM

I can't help but enjoy your immense enthusiasm, IGE. :ThmbUp:

Hopefully, it will be consolidated into one topic or two topics, and posted down in the Triple Crown forum, or in the Handicapping forum, I prefer the former.

Cause opening 30 topics a week before the derby splatted all over the place is not something I'll even bother with.

Maybe Pace can give us some direction here, as I'm sure he doesn't want to be moving threads around.

Igeteven
03-31-2010, 12:12 AM

Hopefully, it will be consolidated into one topic or two topics, and posted down in the Triple Crown forum, or in the Handicapping forum, I prefer the former.

Cause opening 30 topics a week before the derby splatted all over the place is not something I'll even bother with.

Maybe Pace can give us some direction here, as I'm sure he doesn't want to be moving threads around.

You are right on, I see about a week in my opinion

redshift1
03-31-2010, 12:42 AM

After this Saturday IMO the Derby winner will come out of either the Wood or Santa Anita Derby.

BombsAway Bob
03-31-2010, 01:45 AM
After this Saturday IMO the Derby winner will come out of either the Wood or Santa Anita Derby.
The history says differently..
http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/
excerpt:
"I have no knock on either one of them, but it's still sobering to consider the following: Since 1989, when Santa Anita Derby winner Sunday Silence and Wood Memorial winner Easy Goer dominated the Triple Crown, only one winner of either race has gone on to victory in the Kentucky Derby"-Steven Crist

redshift1
03-31-2010, 02:27 AM
excerpt:
"I have no knock on either one of them, but it's still sobering to consider the following: Since 1989, when Santa Anita Derby winner Sunday Silence and Wood Memorial winner Easy Goer dominated the Triple Crown, only one winner of either race has gone on to victory in the Kentucky Derby"-Steven Crist

Eskendereya and LAL seem to be better than anyone else at this point I also like Sidney's Candy and Awesome Again. As far as no Derby winners since 1989 you could have said the same about Sunland Park last year.

Hajck Hillstrom
03-31-2010, 05:40 AM
Any post before April 28th is just masturbation. :D

rastajenk
03-31-2010, 05:44 AM
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Stevie Belmont
03-31-2010, 10:51 AM
I would wait till the post positions are picked. It's hard for me to do any real capping until I know where these guys are breaking from, and possible weather conditions. So I guess the closer we get to Derby day the better.

I think it's that Wednesday before Derby day they pick the spots.

joanied
03-31-2010, 11:10 AM

I ditto this:ThmbUp: ...poor Pace will be moving threads all over the place...we have a Triple Crown section for this topic...

but, Igeteven...I am also enthusiastic about the Triple Crown series...so let's get the ball rollin' :jump: :jump: :jump:

Stevie Belmont
03-31-2010, 12:51 PM
There might have not been too many winners of these races to win the Derby—but winners have come out of them. Real Quiet & Silver Charm 2nd in the Santa Anita Derby.

Giacomo ran in the Santa Anita Derby.

Manarchos was in the Wood Memorial...

excerpt:

rastajenk
03-31-2010, 01:27 PM
and Funny Cide from the Woody.

WinterTriangle
03-31-2010, 01:57 PM
I would wait till the post positions are picked. It's hard for me to do any real capping until I know where these guys are breaking from, and possible weather conditions. So I guess the closer we get to Derby day the better.

And then we can throw all those away too :eek: because in a field of 20, in a 1-1/4 race, anything can happen, obstacles, racing luck, and who we think is the "best" horse doesn't always win it.

Have any of these horses even raced in a field of 15? LOL

46zilzal
03-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Posting Derby choices any time earlier than the last major preps is akin to posting presidential results after the Iowa caucus.

kid4rilla
03-31-2010, 02:19 PM
You have to at least wait to see who Calvin rides, then you have your winner.

Stevie Belmont
03-31-2010, 02:38 PM
For some reason it usually works out.

Pace seems to be the biggest factor—Afleet Alex and Point Given both fell victim of being to close to a wicked pace. They were clearly the best 3-year-olds—and came up short on Derby day.

With that said, anything can happen a 20 horse field—just don't want to get stranded down on or near the rail, especially if it's a speed horse.

And then we can throw all those away too :eek: because in a field of 20, in a 1-1/4 race, anything can happen, obstacles, racing luck, and who we think is the "best" horse doesn't always win it.

Have any of these horses even raced in a field of 15? LOL

bisket
03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
i'm on the fence with esky. he looked dynamite in the foy, but every one of his races has been a walk in the park pace wise. thats my nagging question of him. i like ice box, lucky as definates for the exotic right now. i just don't see post position being a big thing for those two. awsome act, noble's promise, and esky i'm on the fence right now.

joanied
03-31-2010, 06:55 PM
There might have not been too many winners of these races to win the Derby—but winners have come out of them. Real Quiet & Silver Charm 2nd in the Santa Anita Derby.

Giacomo ran in the Santa Anita Derby.

Manarchos was in the Wood Memorial...

And I bet Baffert is maybe in hopes that Lucky doesn't win...if he finishes 2nd, that fits the pattern...and you know what they say...3rd one's the charm...silver or any other color:jump:

joanied
03-31-2010, 06:57 PM
For some reason it usually works out.

Pace seems to be the biggest factor—Afleet Alex and Point Given both fell victim of being to close to a wicked pace. They were clearly the best 3-year-olds—and came up short on Derby day.

With that said, anything can happen a 20 horse field—just don't want to get stranded down on or near the rail, especially if it's a speed horse.

Unless Calvin is riding:ThmbUp: :jump: :ThmbUp:

keithw84
03-31-2010, 11:12 PM
After watching Eskendereya in person at the FOY, I am pulling for him in the Derby. Would love to see him dominate in the Wood, but if he doesn't, at least he might be at a good price come the first of May.

Robert Goren
03-31-2010, 11:39 PM
If you had last year's winner, you can post anytime you please.;)

Igeteven
04-01-2010, 01:13 AM
If you had last year's winner, you can post anytime you please.;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: