PDA

View Full Version : Reviews on a couple of books?

strapper
03-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Anybody read Handicapping the Wall Street Way or Value Line Handicapping (title might be close to this - it may be authored by Mark Cramer?). These are a couple I thought about purchasing for my turf library but not sure about them. The second book is pretty costly I understand, must be out of print.

GameTheory
03-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Anybody read Handicapping the Wall Street Way or Value Line Handicapping (title might be close to this - it may be authored by Mark Cramer?). These are a couple I thought about purchasing for my turf library but not sure about them. The second book is pretty costly I understand, must be out of print.Cramer book good. I recently sold my copy, but good nevertheless.

Wall Street Way -- utter trash. In the running for the worst handicapping book ever. You can have mine for the cost of postage. It would make me feel guilty to sell it.

takeout
03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Interesting title, considering the price.

Also, what’s up with stuff like this:

Thoroughbred Cycles by Mark Cramer (Hardcover - Mar. 1990)
2 new from $199.00
12 used from $18.25

Are they giving away free plane tickets with the new ones or something???

Overlay
03-30-2010, 12:48 PM
I realize that each race is its own unique combination of interacting characteristics among the participants, but Cramer's book (Value Handicapping is the title) was too subjective/intuitive (I've heard the term "right-brained" used to describe it) for my tastes. For making odds-lines, I favor a more statistical/analytical orientation, which I've found helps me to maintain greater consistency, accuracy, and confidence from race to race. I guess it boils down to which approach a given individual is more comfortable with.

Fingal
03-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Interesting title, considering the price.

Also, what’s up with stuff like this:

Thoroughbred Cycles by Mark Cramer (Hardcover - Mar. 1990)
2 new from $199.00
12 used from $18.25

Are they giving away free plane tickets with the new ones or something???

I think some of the Amazon 2nd party sellers put up extreme prices just to see if someone will bite.