PDA

View Full Version : '60s results available?

SchagFactorToWin
03-28-2010, 11:47 AM
I picked up some programs from Batavia Downs, c. 1961. I want to handicap them but can't find results that go back that far. Any suggestions?

wilderness
03-28-2010, 01:35 PM
There are many places in which USTA Yearbooks may be located.
Each year has the uncharted races results for US and Canada, and charted races results for major stakes races (the race results topped after 1977).

Some online used bookstores and eBay sellers list them for far too much.
$5 per book is reasonable and if you get lucky, you may find somebody willing to sell a group for even less.

markgoldie
03-28-2010, 03:00 PM
There are many places in which USTA Yearbooks may be located.
Each year has the uncharted races results for US and Canada, and charted races results for major stakes races (the race results topped after 1977).

Some online used bookstores and eBay sellers list them for far too much.
$5 per book is reasonable and if you get lucky, you may find somebody willing to sell a group for even less.
Happen to have a bunch of them myself from the 60's and early 70's. Problem is I think they guy may be interested in the payouts, but the Year Books don't show that.

wilderness
03-28-2010, 03:23 PM
The only alternative is old harness racing periodicals, either Harness Horse or Horseman and Fair World.

There are a few NY tracks that in the old days published complete season results in a book. Don't recall is Batavia was one.

The programs themselves offered results for previous nights and if the issues are consecutive may be utilized.

I've complete press runs of the 1960's periodicals, however my fees and time spent for scanning the results would be just as prohibitive (perhaps even higher) than acquiring the results from another source.

wilderness
03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
As an additional point. . .

IN 1981, I made my largest ever single race wager.
It was the last race on the card at Wolverine on a Friday night.
The Detroit papers at the time used to do a terrible job of publishing the final few race results. Friday's and Sat's late races would sometimes not be published until Monday or Tuesday, if at all.

This race in particular required three finished photo prints.
I cashed a rather large place bet, however have never been able to get the prices on the exotics (which I was tongued-out-of). the following 2-3 consecutive programs (which I'll never locate) may be the only source possible.

SchagFactorToWin
03-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Payouts would be optimal but I will make do with finish positions. I'll look for those books. Thanks for the info.

I know the older programs have past results but these 20 programs are spread out by date, throughout the '60s, and even cover different tracks- Buffalo, Batavia, Vernon Downs, & Saratoga.

tamaharbor
03-29-2010, 01:40 PM
I am curious as to the point of handicapping harness races from 45+ years ago?

SchagFactorToWin
03-30-2010, 11:41 AM
I am curious as to the point of handicapping harness races from 45+ years ago?

Just for fun.

My method was developed in 1979-1980 for Buffalo/Batavia Downs and has shown consistent results since then, although only used on an occasional basis until last year. Since March 2009, I used it on every race at Yonkers and Freehold. The results were the same. If the 1960s results are similar, I can brag that the method has worked for over 50 years! :D

Robert Goren
03-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Many newspapers from that era published race results and some even charts. Someplace most newspapers are recorded some way. Put in a call to your state historical society and see what they have to say about the availability of the local papers.

wilderness
03-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Someplace most newspapers are recorded some way. Put in a call to your state historical society and see what they have to say about the availability of the local papers.

Most old newspapers are recorded on microfilm. Some years back there was a national effort to record the indexes of existing newspapers on microfilm.

http://www.neh.gov/projects/usnp.html
http://www.neh.gov/projects/ndnp.html

Additionally there are some newspapers that offer fee based viewing of items.
http://www.newspaperarchive.com/

You may find a local (Batavia) paper here (Please note there are multiple pages when you click on NY, with only few listings per page:

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Browse.aspx

SchagFactorToWin
03-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys, I didn't think about that!