PDA

View Full Version : Gio Ponti's Career Path??

CincyHorseplayer
03-28-2010, 01:21 AM
I can follow the logic of why to race GP in the BC.And I can follow the logic because of that finish to race him in the DWC.

But when I look at his past performances it just irritates me.

He was nothing special,then they put him on turf and he reels off 5 grade 1's,then has only seen the turf once.

Europe has the best turf horses bar none.But it's frustrating to see a horse actually able to dominate on turf in this country,to not be allowed to do so.Is it because of the ambitions of the connections or are they just impatient or greedy or stupid or what??I would love to see this guy just set off on a campaign of G1 or G2 turf events for the rest of the year.He's got a lot of talent.

Let him be a turfer damnit!!

Robert Goren
03-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Summer and lots of turf races are coming.

Market Mover
03-28-2010, 01:31 AM
They had to take a chance. Heck, for $10 million, I'd run him on asphalt.
I believe he's got a better chance in the Arc than he does on any synthetic surface. Gio wasn't 100% for his fight against a tenacious Karelian in prep, but it's a long season and he didn't embarrass himself in the DWC.

Furthest Land did though. He was tremendously overbet in the domestic pools.

CincyHorseplayer
03-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Don't you find it remotely tenuous though?

I mean you finally find an objective the horse you bought can meet and do so at the top level.Repeatedly.

After somewhat of a wait and see period,followed by that much success,to me I would never want to change the formula.

As Goren said though,we still have a whole season ahead of us.

Java Gold@TFT
03-28-2010, 07:28 AM
He was also considered vulnerable at 12F and more of a 9-10F horse. I think that, more than money, that is what put him in the BC Classic instead of BC Turf. The surface probably wouldn't have caused as much of a problem as the distance against world class 12F horses.

That said, like was previously mentioned, the summer turf season is coming. I'd be surprised to see him in the UN or Sword Dancer but look for him to defend at Arlington and maybe the Manhattan. I tend to believe he will be back to turf in his next start.