PDA

View Full Version : PTI Blows

cj's dad
03-25-2010, 09:18 PM
it again !!!

One of their talking points tonight was that in regards to the Cornell/ UK match-up tonight it was the "nerds" vs. the "jocks". Guess which was which ??

Gee, let me think for a spell- I bet it was the Cornell Big Red with their predominately white line up who are the nerds vs. the Kentucky Wildcats with their all black line up who are the jocks.

Why not advertise this game as the "most likely to graduate and succeed in life after this game is over" vs. "most likely to not graduate and end up in jail after the season is over" ???

Nah, never happen !!

Relwob Owner
03-25-2010, 09:24 PM
it again !!!

One of their talking points tonight was that in regards to the Cornell/ UK match-up tonight it was the "nerds" vs. the "jocks". Guess which was which ??

Gee, let me think for a spell- I bet it was the Cornell Big Red with their predominately white line up who are the nerds vs. the Kentucky Wildcats with their all black line up who are the jocks.

Why not advertise this game as the "most likely to graduate and succeed in life after this game is over" vs. "most likely to not graduate and end up in jail after the season is over" ???

Nah, never happen !!

Cornell is a school known for its academics(nerds)....Kentucky is known for it's sports(jocks).....what dont you get about this and where is race involved, other than your interjection of it?

skate
03-25-2010, 09:35 PM
to put it CJs way, the KY players would be much better off, without the Ball and the false sense of security that goes with the Ball.

too much recognition for baskets and not enough for study.

Keyrist man, that's all they do and that's all they know, i can say that because that was the-skate, also. But i aint crying.

the game (others also) is very small in life.

Hey hey hey, i took a shot, few Months back, i missed by about 5 feet, i think i was about 10 feet away:lol: games over:confused:

CBedo
03-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Did you even listen to the show? Wilbon's point was that "jocks versus nerds" was a lame, no homework cliche and that the reality was that it was athletes versus athletes.

I think PTI blows alot of things, but sorry, you blew this one, lol.

cj's dad
03-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Did you even listen to the show? Wilbon's point was that "jocks versus nerds" was a lame, no homework cliche and that the reality was that it was athletes versus athletes.

I think PTI blows alot of things, but sorry, you blew this one, lol.

That was ny point exactly - and yes I do see a racial connotation in that phraseology in this case.

I also see a double standard which is patently obvious.

If you don't see this thats on you, not me.

Relwob Owner
03-26-2010, 03:38 PM
That was ny point exactly - and yes I do see a racial connotation in that phraseology in this case.

I also see a double standard which is patently obvious.

If you don't see this thats on you, not me.

I think the racial component is being added only by you....seems pretty cut and dried to me. Take race out of it for a second.... Is Cornell known more for academics than Kentucky? Is Kentucky known more for sports than Cornell? The answer is "yes" to both. Academic strength equals the "nerd" cliche and sports strength equals "jock" cliche. You are the one taking the leap and noticing the racial makeups of the teams and assuming that the people on PTI make the same assumptions you do.

JustRalph
03-26-2010, 04:10 PM
I finally stopped watching PTI when Mike Wilbon let his racism show thru once too often

Kornheiser might as well wear clown shoes and a Jester's hat

rastajenk
03-26-2010, 04:16 PM
I've been watching that SportsNation thing more and more recently; a little lighter fare than the self-important flatulence you get from PTI and Around the Horn; plus, Michelle Beadle. :jump:

Valuist
03-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Thumbs down to CBS for airing the entire first half to most of the country while the Xavier/K-State game, which figured to be much more competitive, was seen by few until the second half.

Relwob Owner
03-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I finally stopped watching PTI when Mike Wilbon let his racism show thru once too often

Kornheiser might as well wear clown shoes and a Jester's hat

i am from the DC area and have beenreading and watching Wilbon his whole career....calling him racist is a pretty serious thing and I am curious what you are basing it on....I like some of his work, find him annoying at times, but never a racist.

JustRalph
03-26-2010, 09:30 PM
i am from the DC area and have beenreading and watching Wilbon his whole career....calling him racist is a pretty serious thing and I am curious what you are basing it on....I like some of his work, find him annoying at times, but never a racist.

Ok, let's say he pulls the race card from his hip like a six gun. He finds racism in everything when a black sports person is on the hot seat. He thinks the world is down on all blacks, and makes excuses for them. No matter what.

Maybe it doesn't make him racist, but it makes him look stupid and shades his objectivity. Maybe racist was too strong a word. Let's say he is just another reactionary black man with a word processor and a forum. Every day for thirty minutes and in print he can jump up and act like Spike Lee to cover for some athlete who has screwed up. But then meld back into the sportswriter fraternity until the next time he decides to play the card. He is a master of it. Some people see it, some don't. I see it.

Relwob Owner
03-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Ok, let's say he pulls the race card from his hip like a six gun. He finds racism in everything when a black sports person is on the hot seat. He thinks the world is down on all blacks, and makes excuses for them. No matter what.

Maybe it doesn't make him racist, but it makes him look stupid and shades his objectivity. Maybe racist was too strong a word. Let's say he is just another reactionary black man with a word processor and a forum. Every day for thirty minutes and in print he can jump up and act like Spike Lee to cover for some athlete who has screwed up. But then meld back into the sportswriter fraternity until the next time he decides to play the card. He is a master of it. Some people see it, some don't. I see it.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification

Dahoss9698
03-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Luckily I don't see it. But, people see what they want to.

Cornell has no scholarship players on their team. Kentucky is filled with McDonald's All Americans. Players aren't leaving Cornell early for the NBA. Kentucky will probably lose half of their starting 5 after this year. The nerds vs jocks comment isn't far off, but most importantly, it's a joke.

PTI is an entertainment show as much as it's hard hitting sports journalism. The guys like to joke around. Everything isn't (literally) black and white.

Relwob Owner
03-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Luckily I don't see it. But, people see what they want to.

Cornell has no scholarship players on their team. Kentucky is filled with McDonald's All Americans. Players aren't leaving Cornell early for the NBA. Kentucky will probably lose half of their starting 5 after this year. The nerds vs jocks comment isn't far off, but most importantly, it's a joke.

PTI is an entertainment show as much as it's hard hitting sports journalism. The guys like to joke around. Everything isn't (literally) black and white.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

BetHorses!
03-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Thumbs down to CBS for airing the entire first half to most of the country while the Xavier/K-State game, which figured to be much more competitive, was seen by few until the second half.

K. State/Xavier was one of the best games ever

Space Monkey
03-31-2010, 06:51 PM
I really didn't want to get into this. But I find it interesting that the racist comments here are from the same people who show up on political threads with a strong right wing hate for our President and Democrats in general. No coincidence in my opinion.

johnhannibalsmith
03-31-2010, 07:04 PM
I really didn't want to get into this....

You shouldn't have. Once again you make yourself look foolish.

Space Monkey
03-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't think so.

Relwob Owner
03-31-2010, 07:24 PM
You shouldn't have. Once again you make yourself look foolish.

I cant comment on any sort of racism by anyone in particular because I dont find myself on the political side too much.....however, this thread definitely seemed to have a racial component stuck into it from the outset when the situation didnt seem to warrant it.....

johnhannibalsmith
03-31-2010, 07:28 PM
I know you don't think so. I am as caucasion as caucasion gets. But if I were a minority, say a black guy, I would find you utterly aggravating - even offensive. Your invocations of racism and diligent use of the label is so far beyond gratuitous that you diminish its meaning.

You are to the concept of racism what PETA is to the concept of animal abuse. At some point you go to such unreasonable lengths to characterize things in a way that suits your agenda that nobody considers you a benefit to the cause - you are a self-serving publicity stunt.

johnhannibalsmith
03-31-2010, 07:30 PM
I cant comment on any sort of racism by anyone in particular because I dont find myself on the political side too much.....however, this thread definitely seemed to have a racial component stuck into it from the outset when the situation didnt seem to warrant it.....

If the guy wants to call out individuals, go for it. But he likes to interject his politics into it and then paint with a broad brush. He wasn't concerned about a racist feel to this thread, he wants an excuse to once again label everyone that vaguely subscribes to a political position as a racist.

cj's dad
03-31-2010, 08:17 PM
I really REALLY hope you all are not referring to me !!

I do not have a racial bone in my body- I have many, many black friends in my circle off friends- the difference is that EVERY SINGLE ONE WORKS OR OWNS A BUSINESS and is just as pissed off at the ANCHORS in our society as I am.

Go figure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relwob Owner
03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
I know you don't think so. I am as caucasion as caucasion gets. But if I were a minority, say a black guy, I would find you utterly aggravating - even offensive. Your invocations of racism and diligent use of the label is so far beyond gratuitous that you diminish its meaning.

You are to the concept of racism what PETA is to the concept of animal abuse. At some point you go to such unreasonable lengths to characterize things in a way that suits your agenda that nobody considers you a benefit to the cause - you are a self-serving publicity stunt.

I have no idea of him or his politics or anything....I am just saying that this thread took something on a show that was jocks vs nerds(Cornell vs Kentucky) that had no racial component whatsoever, in my opinion, and inserted the racial element into it...pretty simple thought, I think. Dont know if I am right or not-just an opinion........

JustRalph
03-31-2010, 10:20 PM
I really REALLY hope you all are not referring to me !!

I do not have a racial bone in my body- I have many, many black friends in my circle off friends- the difference is that EVERY SINGLE ONE WORKS OR OWNS A BUSINESS and is just as pissed off at the ANCHORS in our society as I am.

Go figure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a few black friends in the same vein. You think I hate those taking advantage of things........you should hear these guys when they talk about politics..........They are positively enraged with Obama and those who elected him.

One is a black female who comes from nothing, nothing at all. She climbed her way into a Management position making good money and has a very bright future in front of her. She is 25 yrs old and has taken to asking

"what have my people done now?"

PaceAdvantage
04-01-2010, 02:55 AM
I really didn't want to get into this.Yes you did. It's what you and your ilk do best.

Label people racists if they even blink the wrong way, and that in turn raises tons of cash for the party of Democrats.

This is why racism will never disappear. It raises too much money for a certain political party. Same party that basically invented the KKK. Go figure.

46zilzal
04-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Our carrier had a channel showing four games a once...a great maneuver.

Space Monkey
04-01-2010, 03:37 PM
No Dad, I wasn't referring to you. I haven't seen you on any of the political boards. I don't have an agenda. I am not a registered Democrat. I just call them like I see them. I'll also be the first to admit that sometimes its hard to understand someones true meaning by way of the printed word. I do know that I see hate, violence and racism coming from the right. Tea Party Rallies with Obama painted in white face, swatzikas, people walking around with stuffed monkeys in their pocket. Tea Partiers spitting on black congressman. I also see on this board racist avatars. People that have adopted a hate for this President from day 1. They've ceased to become free thinking Americans. They are led around by the nose by the likes of Rush "Barack the Magic Negro", Limbaugh, and Glenn "I think our President has a deep seeded hatred for white people" Beck. Then I read posts that sure seem racist to me. I call them out and all of a sudden I'M THE ONE WITH THE ATTITUDE! If you are going to belong to the Tea Party movement, and I know there are some here, and if you subscribe to the world according to Beck and Limbaugh, then I have the right to find your attitudes disgusting. Sorry if you don't like hearing it.

MrBaseball
04-01-2010, 03:53 PM
No Dad, I wasn't referring to you. I haven't seen you on any of the political boards. I don't have an agenda. I am not a registered Democrat. I just call them like I see them. I'll also be the first to admit that sometimes its hard to understand someones true meaning by way of the printed word. I do know that I see hate, violence and racism coming from the right. Tea Party Rallies with Obama painted in white face, swatzikas, people walking around with stuffed monkeys in their pocket. Tea Partiers spitting on black congressman. I also see on this board racist avatars. People that have adopted a hate for this President from day 1. They've ceased to become free thinking Americans. They are led around by the nose by the likes of Rush "Barack the Magic Negro", Limbaugh, and Glenn "I think our President has a deep seeded hatred for white people" Beck. Then I read posts that sure seem racist to me. I call them out and all of a sudden I'M THE ONE WITH THE ATTITUDE! If you are going to belong to the Tea Party movement, and I know there are some here, and if you subscribe to the world according to Beck and Limbaugh, then I have the right to find your attitudes disgusting. Sorry if you don't like hearing it.

For a guy that's not registered Democrat, you sure can spout the DemonCats talking points. Demonize people who are only expressing their opinions (Tea Party participants) and continually repeat unproven statements made by Democratic congressfolk. Maybe you should do the research regarding Limbaugh and "Barack the Magic Negro" story. I believe you'd find it was a parody done by Rush AFTER a liberal L.A. Times reporter initiated Barack as the "magic Negro".

Mr BB

johnhannibalsmith
04-01-2010, 03:59 PM
If the guy wants to call out individuals, go for it. But he likes to interject his politics into it and then paint with a broad brush. He wasn't concerned about a racist feel to this thread, he wants an excuse to once again label everyone that vaguely subscribes to a political position as a racist.

I'm not sure if I made the point well here. Luckily, I didn't even need to.

Space Monkey
04-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Rush's implication was implicit. I noticed you didn't defend Beck.
John, its bad form to copy/paste yourself. You don't make any sense.
I appear to be very Democratic because these Republicans are the worst Republicans I've seen in my lifetime. They have no plan for the American people. They just want to obstruct our current administration. A good deal of them (like Joe Brown) are obviously racist. You are who you run with. Live with it.
You can spin it all you want. The Republican Party stands for nothing good right now.
If you want to learn about how far the GOP has fallen, just read the 1956 Republican Party Platform and YouTube Pres. Dwight Eisenhower's farewell speech. He would be thrown out of the party by the aholes that are in charge now.

kid4rilla
04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
There's always someone during the racist talk that mentiones how many black friends they have to prove they aren't racist.

"See! LaVar is my friend" I don't be makin' jokes about him or nutin!"

"Hey, I'm up to 7 black friends"...(you can count multi-racials as anything you want)

I have 0 black friends, but I'm looking to start a collection. I can't get any of them to associate with me, probably because I'm a nerdy white guy. :)

On the serious tip.........PTI is the only sports show I care to watch. Kornheiser is the best in the world because he is an every man. Couldn't be a better pairing than T.K and Wilbon.

Funny this took a racial turn....do you remember when the show first began a long time ago and the commercial had TK saying....

TK: We're both fat, we're both bald, and we're both white.

MW: And one of us is blind.

GaryG
04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Dwight Eisenhower's farewell speech. He would be thrown out of the party by the aholes that are in charge now.The aholes in charge are democrats, Barry Hussein and his posse.

Space Monkey
04-01-2010, 07:13 PM
You know I meant whose in charge of the republican party right? You can't be that stupid, can you?

Love your avatar.

Space Monkey
04-01-2010, 07:16 PM
There's always someone during the racist talk that mentiones how many black friends they have to prove they aren't racist.

So true.

GaryG
04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Love your avatar.I got it just for you....thanks!

MrBaseball
04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Rush's implication was implicit. I noticed you didn't defend Beck.
John, its bad form to copy/paste yourself. You don't make any sense.
I appear to be very Democratic because these Republicans are the worst Republicans I've seen in my lifetime. They have no plan for the American people. They just want to obstruct our current administration. A good deal of them (like Joe Brown) are obviously racist. You are who you run with. Live with it.
You can spin it all you want. The Republican Party stands for nothing good right now.
If you want to learn about how far the GOP has fallen, just read the 1956 Republican Party Platform and YouTube Pres. Dwight Eisenhower's farewell speech. He would be thrown out of the party by the aholes that are in charge now.

Oh, so YOU paint Rush a racist because of a parody that was performed on his show. This was a satirical piece about Al Sharpton and Barrack Obama
that was based on a piece written by a LA Times liberal writer. Rush did not originate the material nor did he create the material. It's was SATIRE sir!!
Immediately the Rush bashers take the whole thing out of context and feed it to their trained seals. :rolleyes:

As far as Glenn Beck is concerned, I've never listen to his program, and have only seen bits and pieces of the stickt that he and O'Reilly have going on TV. So, I really have no comment on what he says or does. :sleeping:

Regarding your statement regarding Repewblicans, I agree that Dwight D Eisenhower would be drummed out of this party, just as John F. Kennedy would be drummed out of the Demoncats party.

The whole D.C. scene is a nightmareish swamp that needs to be drained.Question is, are their enough enlightened people to do do. Me thinks not!!

Mr. BB

Valuist
04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
K. State/Xavier was one of the best games ever

Yes it was. I was hoping X would win, but it probably helped burn KSU out a bit which helped out Butler, which, IMO, is a good thing.

Relwob Owner
04-01-2010, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=kid4rilla]There's always someone during the racist talk that mentiones how many black friends they have to prove they aren't racist.

Absoultely spot on......................

cj's dad
04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=kid4rilla]There's always someone during the racist talk that mentiones how many black friends they have to prove they aren't racist.

first off -learn how to spell -

secondly, it is important to me at the very least to alert others to the fact that there are some in my circle of friends who are A-A's, who I would be honored to go to battle with.

So, kid4rilla, know of what you speak before speaking same !!!

PaceAdvantage
04-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Love your avatar.I hope you wrote Warner Bros. complaining that they used the confederate flag in the latest "Dukes of Hazzard" movie several years ago...if it's good enough for Warner Bros., it's good enough for me here...

Nothing racist at all about Dukes of Hazzard...so why did they allow that flag to remain painted all over the General Lee?

I'll tell you who the real racists are. Democrats. Those who are screaming racism around every corner. A guy yelling at a black congressman, and whose spittle happens to land on the guy (it's tough to be screaming at the top of your lungs and purposely spit at the same time, don't you think?)...oh, that MUST be racism...

Democratic Party...party of the KKK...look it up...

Racism keeps the Democratic party alive and kicking...how much money has racism raised for the Democratic party over the years?

Kind of like the cure for cancer. If found, it puts a lot of people and industries out of business. Same for racism and the Democratic party.

kid4rilla
04-01-2010, 10:06 PM
My black friends would have never bothered to point out my typing error.

No offense, but it is funny that that always comes up.

If blacks have racist conversation, they probably bring up how many white friends they have too.

I'm not racist, I like NASCAR!

JustRalph
04-02-2010, 01:36 AM
If blacks have racist conversation, they probably bring up how many white friends they have too.

If you knew anything about today's blacks, you would know that they are the most racist group on the planet. Egged on by their leaders. If you could be privy to their conversations etc........you might know what the hell you are talking about. There is incredible racism within the so called "Black community" Blacks treat each other differently based on several different things. Some you couldn't imagine.

There are several distinct groups of blacks in this country now. At least four different socioeconomic groups that have split into different areas based on where they live and what they earn. It is a splintered population to say the least. The bottom line is that the largest most influential group is still what they call "hood ni#$#@s" which is the sad part. Hopefully with the death of Jackson, Sharpton etc in the next generation the "Black community" can come out the other side in better shape. We all get exactly what we deserve. Never forget it.

LottaKash
04-02-2010, 04:29 AM
I
Racism keeps the Democratic party alive and kicking...how much money has racism raised for the Democratic party over the years?

Kind of like the cure for cancer. If found, it puts a lot of people and industries out of business. Same for racism and the Democratic party.

Yeah, we can all "WALK" to end Racism.....C'mon everyone, let's walk.....:jump:

best,

kid4rilla
04-02-2010, 10:40 AM
If you knew anything about today's blacks, you would know that they are the most racist group on the planet. Egged on by their leaders. If you could be privy to their conversations etc........you might know what the hell you are talking about. There is incredible racism within the so called "Black community" Blacks treat each other differently based on several different things. Some you couldn't imagine.

There are several distinct groups of blacks in this country now. At least four different socioeconomic groups that have split into different areas based on where they live and what they earn. It is a splintered population to say the least. The bottom line is that the largest most influential group is still what they call "hood ni#$#@s" which is the sad part. Hopefully with the death of Jackson, Sharpton etc in the next generation the "Black community" can come out the other side in better shape. We all get exactly what we deserve. Never forget it.

I am pretty well in the know about "today's blacks". I am well aware that blacks...along with all other non-white races...are racist as well. They just are never called on it.

Being racist and prejudiced is a fact of life for everyone. EVERYONE! This means you. You are a product of your environment and you will I just embrace the fact and call people on it.

You can't be forced to truly unlearn racist thought. It can overtime be proven to be false.

Also, non-whites are not discouraged of their racist thoughts, they are often encouraged. Whites are discouraged, disparaged, if not vilified if they have racial tendancies. Which is a shame since it is natural for all humans

JustRalph
04-05-2010, 04:54 AM

Wilbon writes a Gusher on one of his buddies..........

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36171991/ns/sports-washington_post/

Excuse me Mikey, but you might need to wipe your face after this one

castaway01
04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Back to the original post, it is a shame that in 2010 everything has broken down into such cliches that no white guy can be a good athlete, that they're all "nerds". Okay, I know not "all", but even Duke's players are always labeled as unathletic when anyone who watched them play can see that is not the case. Gee, I wonder why they got that label---there's no reason other than the fact the majority of the players are white. It may not make you "racist" to say this stuff because a lot of white fans say the same thing about white players, but it's a shame how many people believe this stuff. Now obviously when you compare Cornell's roster to Kentucky, Kentucky is going to have the better players because it's a basketball factory and the majority of the starting lineup is "one and done"---there to get in a year of college ball, then off the pros. However, if anyone watched Cornell, even though they lost to Kentucky, there were still "athletic" and skilled. It's a shame stereotypes have to be used and that they only work one way.

cj's dad
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
My point in a nutshell - very well said !!

Relwob Owner
04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Wilbon writes a Gusher on one of his buddies..........

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36171991/ns/sports-washington_post/

Excuse me Mikey, but you might need to wipe your face after this one

I have taken issue with you calling Wilbon a racist because I dont think he fits the definition.....what he is in my opinion is a guy who undermines the credibilty of his own articles by interjecting race where it has no place....this article shows it and when I read it this morning, I wanted to puke....MW says...

The quarterback fraternity is small, and the black quarterback fraternity is even smaller.......

So, Mike, Donovan would have felt bad if a QB thought he was taking his job but REALLY bad if the QB is black? Absoultely ridiculous IMO....

Relwob Owner
04-05-2010, 05:33 PM
My point in a nutshell - very well said !!

I commented on the example you used not being a good fit but after reading the thread, I get your point....amazing how white wide receivers are viewed as being "possession receivers" and are "good route runners"......my favorite is "sneaky fast".....In hoops, Shyer(sp?),the point guard for Duke constantly gets by the first guy guarding him and is rarely referred to as quick olr athletic but instead I have heard him called "heady".....

cj's dad
04-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I commented on the example you used not being a good fit but after reading the thread, I get your point....amazing how white wide receivers are viewed as being "possession receivers" and are "good route runners"......my favorite is "sneaky fast".....In hoops, Shyer(sp?),the point guard for Duke constantly gets by the first guy guarding him and is rarely referred to as quick olr athletic but instead I have heard him called "heady".....

BINGO !!

Finally, folks are getting what I meant to say but apparently failed to do in a proper manner.

Relwob Owner
04-05-2010, 07:47 PM
BINGO !!

Finally, folks are getting what I meant to say but apparently failed to do in a proper manner.

I can be a little slow on the uptake, plus sometimes harder to get things across in the forum format......