PDA

View Full Version : Today was a GREAT day for my family

Rookies
03-25-2010, 09:15 PM
8:30 a.m. A family member went to work with blurred vision.
10:30 a.m. Realized that something was FUBARed and unable to reach me at work ( I was out of the city), called another family member. While being picked up, called the eye doctor, who suggested that she go immediately to a better Toronto hospital than our closest local one, in terms of eye care.
12:00p.m. Saw Doogie Howser:rolleyes: and had an Ultrasound. Seeing nothing terribly untoward, other than small tears in the retina with bleeding, immediately scheduled an appointment with top Eye Opthamologist/Surgeon- across the street.
1:00 p.m. Seen within 30 minutes due to condition and discussed options.
2:00 Laser Surgery treatment to repair the tears- completed at 2:30p.m.
4:00p.m. Home and in bed.

In addition, they checked the other eye, of course, and determined that one was going to break down in the future too. There is some history of detached retinas on this side of the family, so this was a bit of a frightening episode.

I will certainly thank God tonight!

p.s. ANY Health care system has its pluses and minuses. The bottom line for all of us is, that when the going gets tough, you want the best possible care at the earliest possible juncture to resolve a medical issue.

It is sickening to hear the constant parade of irrational lies, selective anecdote cherry picking and contorted bullshit, perpetrated by the likes of Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck and the rest of their fellow travelers, who liken the Canadian Socialized Medicare to a step above Middle Age bloodletting.

Those of us who live here and partake in the system, either routine or emergency, are fully aware that it can always be made better.

But we are very glad to have had it for almost 50 years- especially today.:)

ArlJim78
03-25-2010, 09:22 PM
"selective anecdote cherry picking "

its great the way things worked out for your family member, but aren't you doing very same thing that you accuse the others of?

skate
03-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Glad to hear that, i am indeed.

Let me say, i really don't think the people mentioned are anti Lonniest , but i understand, it's not a good feeling to get knocked by someone who really does not know..

I think rushlike people go overboard to reach a point. I'm sure they respect the Northern Neighborhood.

boxcar
03-25-2010, 09:27 PM

its great the way things worked out for your family member, but aren't you doing very same thing that you accuse the others of?

I, too, Rooks, am very happy to hear that things worked out so well, so quickly for your family member. But I also echo, Jim's anecdotal sentiments above.

Boxcar

Tom
03-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Glad your relative was not here in the USA when it happened. hcap says he would be dead by now. And it only goes downhill from here.
Dodged a bullet there.

Rookies
03-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Thank You Jim/Boxcar. :ThmbUp:

And indeed I am. For two reasons:

1) In the Armageddon following the passage of the 1/2 Loaf Health Care Bill, there have been all manner of persons crying out: " PROVE IT!" in the presenting of any evidence. So in this situation, there can be no equivocation, as I literally have the 'bracelet'. ;)

2) I am only countering those arguments/ opinions that people line up forever as per a Gulag to await treatment and also that the quality of care is generally terrible under Socialized Medicine. It is assuredly not.

I have previously mentioned a U.S. family member who had a simple procedure FUBARed at the Cleveland Clinic. If I were a Neo Leftist type, I would decry this treatment as testimony to what happens under a (mostly) capitalist (well formerly... but catching up ;) ) health care system- leaving aside the enormous cost!

But I do not, because that opinion would be just as absurd as its converse.

NJ Stinks
03-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for the best, Rookies! :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
03-25-2010, 10:36 PM
in the U.S. they would have been done by noon............
:lol: :lol:

Just kidding, glad it worked out for you and them.

GaryG
03-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Canada and the US are apples and oranges. This is a big country where a high % of the citizens have their hand out and wetbacks keep rolling over the unprotected border. Not only that but the % of Fed Govt employees will skyrocket, some of the most incompetent "workers" on earth. With any luck Hussein-care will never see the light of day.

bigmack
03-25-2010, 11:16 PM
It is sickening to hear the constant parade of irrational lies, selective anecdote cherry picking and contorted bullshit, perpetrated by the likes of Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck
Do you spend your time listening to all three of those daily or are you hearing what they're supposedly saying from somewhere else?

Rookies
03-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Do you spend your time listening to all three of those daily or are you hearing what they're supposedly saying from somewhere else?

I can pick up ALL of them and more on a non stop Con station that Tom is familiar with: WBEN Buffalo. I listen to Limbaugh while driving in the afternoon, but constantly. Hannity,a little at night, but rarely.

I'll watch Hannity and Beck on FOX News when I go the U.S. I won't pay for FOX News at home on Cable... ;)

Hannity once appeared on a local Canadian Conservative radio show. I forget the principal topic, but knowing that this guy ( Bill Carroll) was a Con, tried to drag him in to besmirch the Canadian Health care system. Little did he know that Carroll has a young child with Spina Bifida, I believe and refused to take the bait as his child has received some extraordinary care.

Carroll has moved to and can now be heard in LA , but unlike American Cons, he is not a yeller/ screamer attempting to bludgeon the opposition. He has an intelligent, articulate manner of addressing issues that almost convinces me he's correct...:lol: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2305512983

hcap
03-26-2010, 05:55 AM

Cherry picking??
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...02181726AAufewm

WHO rankings:

Rank Country

1 France
2 Italy
3 San Marino
4 Andorra
5 Malta
6 Singapore
7 Spain
8 Oman
9 Austria
10 Japan
11 Norway
12 Portugal
13 Monaco
14 Greece
15 Iceland
16 Luxembourg
17 Netherlands
18 United Kingdom
19 Ireland
20 Switzerland
21 Belgium
22 Colombia
23 Sweden
24 Cyprus
25 Germany
26 Saudi Arabia
27 United Arab Emirates
28 Israel
29 Morocco
30 Canada
31 Finland
32 Australia
33 Chile
34 Denmark
35 Dominica
36 Costa Rica
37 United States of America
38 Slovenia
39 Cuba
40 Brunei
41 New Zealand
42 Bahrain
43 Croatia
44 Qatar
45 Kuwait
46 Barbados
47 Thailand
48 Czech Republic
49 Malaysia
50 Poland

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/International_Comparison_-_Healthcare_spending_as_%25_GDP.png/800px-International_Comparison_-_Healthcare_spending_as_%25_GDP.png

From Wiki....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health...care_spend ing

Overall system effectiveness compared to other countries

The CIA World Factbook ranked the United States 41st in the world for lowest infant mortality rate[103] and 46th for highest total life expectancy.[104] A recent study found that between 1997 and 2003, preventable deaths declined more slowly in the United States than in 18 other industrialized nations.

Tom
03-26-2010, 07:55 AM
hcap, I point out that the dems have been 100% in control for over a year and until this week have done nothing ot improve things. They NEVER need a single republican vote, so the failure to perfomr is squarely on them.
BTW, how will our health care improve under OBama? Better equipment, more surgeons, better surgeons, more cutting edge research and tecnology?
PLEEEEZE answer - we all need a good laugh today! :lol::lol::lol:

Chime in zilly.......you are an expert here. Tell us how the system will soar to the top of the list under THIS bill.

46zilzal
03-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Those of us who have been IN the system know its pluses and minuses and don't "make up" things like its detractors.

Glad to hear things worked out so well.

Tom
03-26-2010, 10:36 AM
You have NEVER been in THIS system.
You talk through your hat so much your head must be sunburned!

DJofSD
03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
I have a coworker and friend that is in the Chicago area. His health is not the best and has had various problems over the years.

A few years ago, he had some surgery as a part of controlling his being overwieght. I don't know the details of the bariatric surgery and that's not the point.

He seemed to recovery and was doing well until about 5 or 6 months later. He went to the doctor complaining of specific symptoms. They ran some tests and discovered he did have some serious problems which I believe was a hernia. He was scheduled for surgery to correct the problem the next day.

And, same person, different medical problem: he became aware of seeing lots of "floaties" in one of his eyes. After a while he decided that it was not going away, if not getting worse and he should go to the doctor. He did and it was quickly discovered his retina was in the process of becoming detacted. Again, next day he was on the table and the problem corrected. It saved his eye sight.

I doubt anything like that would have been done in Cuba.

ArlJim78
03-26-2010, 01:47 PM
my brother in law lives in michigan, been out of work and down on his luck for a long time now and has no health insurance. well last fall he finds out he has a big tumor of the colon/rectal variety. he's has been receiving radiation treatment for months, and they are sending him to the mayo clinic in three weeks for surgery, followed by a long series of more radiation treatments down the road. my sister tells me about the great care he's been getting. nothing less than top notch.

but yet I come on here and read how the US has the healthcare of a third world nation and that if you don't have insurance you're simply out of luck, how we'd all get better care in Saudi Arabia or Morocco.

Robert Goren
03-26-2010, 01:49 PM
my brother in law lives in michigan, been out of work and down on his luck for a long time now and has no health insurance. well last fall he finds out he has a big tumor of the colon/rectal variety. he's has been receiving radiation treatment for months, and they are sending him to the mayo clinic in three weeks for surgery, followed by a long series of more radiation treatments down the road. my sister tells me about the great care he's been getting. nothing less than top notch.

but yet I come on here and read how the US has the healthcare of a third world nation and that if you don't have insurance you're simply out of luck, how we'd all get better care in Saudi Arabia or Morocco. Who is paying for his care?