PDA

View Full Version : Trainer names for same horse

takeout
03-25-2010, 07:04 PM
James L. Lawrence, II (Equibase)
James Lee Lawrence (BRIS drf file)
I assume DRF also has it like BRIS.

Amazing isn’t it? All of these years and the two largest sellers of PP data still can’t agree on trainer names with their wholesaler. I miss TSN.

illinoisbred
03-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Danny Miller(equibase)
Dan C. Miller(bris)
The trainer of Frank C. Calabrese's better horses.

takeout
03-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I'll bet there's a ton of them.
And sometimes, as appears to be the case in the first example, I think it’s two different people. Looks like the son is training at Equibase and the father at BRIS (and probably DRF). :faint: :D

Dave Schwartz
03-25-2010, 08:35 PM
You can bet that EqB's version will be more consistent. They do a lot of work to keep the names in synch.

The problem begins at the track level where there is no control. This is an example of the many problems of racing... you don't even know the participants sometimes.

takeout
03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
So true. And letting suspended trainers use “names” often serves to further confuse things.

ranchwest
03-25-2010, 10:20 PM
When I was using TSN files and maintaining trainer stats, I would sometimes see one name for the trainer and then a similar name in the running lines. Drove me nuts. I was able to program cleaning it up a bit, but it was still frustrating.

takeout
03-26-2010, 01:11 AM
You mean with the previously trained bys? I remember a glitch they had for a while where a couple of trainers kept showing up in the PP’s like that. Was driving me nuts too.

ranchwest
03-26-2010, 01:18 AM
You mean with the previously trained bys? I remember a glitch they had for a while where a couple of trainers kept showing up in the PP’s like that. Was driving me nuts too.

No, I mean the trainer name was not an exact match for the trainer on the first running line.

takeout
03-26-2010, 02:04 AM
Oh. :confused: I thought you were talking about the regular PP’s.

I use to use a program (non-commercial) that went by trainer names. It stayed so screwed up because of all of this type of stuff that I finally abandoned it.

Zoot
03-26-2010, 03:34 AM
This is another good reason why the game/sport/industry needs a national governing body. All horses are ID'ed ala The Jockey Club. There should be a national registry of trainers and jockeys based on issued licenses. It would be a simple matter then to offcially identify a trainer based on a nationally registered license. We all go through most of our lives "branded" with our Social Security numbers, it should not be difficult to coordinate a national registry of trainers and jockeys. ( I'll keep my sarcasm in check and not make the obvious comment about lip tatoos but ... Anyway, in another 50 years we'll all be "chipped" anyway )

ManeMediaMogul
03-26-2010, 07:29 AM
If you take the time to learn the nuances you could have an edge.

ranchwest
03-26-2010, 08:46 AM
If you take the time to learn the nuances you could have an edge.

Sad, but true. :D

Dave Schwartz
03-26-2010, 11:06 AM
a good reason for a national governing body

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

takeout
03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
This is another good reason why the game/sport/industry needs a national governing body.It certainly is. People buying racing data should at least be able to expect the right names.