PDA

View Full Version : Getting your PP's online instead of buying the Form.

andymays
03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
When the DRF started offering run up distances and turf rail positions I started printing the PP's at home instead of buying the DRF at a store.

Ever since I started doing that I've noticed that I am a lot more selective in the races I play and that's a good thing.

Buying ink and using up paper can be a pain in the ass so that's part of the reason.

Does anyone think that printing the PP's at home and being more selective in the races we play is causing a small drop in handle? We all know there are other important factors but could printing the PP's online be a small part of it?

Any opinions?

elhelmete
03-25-2010, 02:23 PM
If I print at home/work in preparation for a visit to the track, I almost always just print the card for that track, and bet only that track.

If I buy the print DRF, although I'll bet the same amount live at the track, I might throw some silly money elsewhere and watch the simo.

andymays
03-25-2010, 02:26 PM
If I print at home/work in preparation for a visit to the track, I almost always just print the card for that track, and bet only that track.

If I buy the print DRF, although I'll bet the same amount live at the track, I might throw some silly money elsewhere and watch the simo.

I think that's my point. :ThmbUp:

There is a lot less "silly money" being bet now vs. five years ago.

Granite
03-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Yes,

I too, just print out the races that I find interesting. My play is a lot more selective now. I imagine many others do this as well. This must be having an impact on overall handle.

Horseplayersbet.com
03-25-2010, 02:45 PM

Good point. But I have an unlimited plan, so I am capable of making countless silly bets a day.

andymays
03-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Good point. But I have an unlimited plan, so I am capable of making countless silly bets a day.

Do you print the same number of PP's as were contained in the old DRF?

I would think most people would say no.

Black Ruby
03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm with ya, I only print the races I think I'm going to play. Last Saturday I went to the local liquor store to buy a form, and the am version of the form for some reason didn't have FG, although it normally does. So I just played races at GP. So the DRF cost FG a little handle.

Horseplayersbet.com
03-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Do you print the same number of PP's as were contained in the old DRF?

I would think most people would say no.
No. I usually have the PDF's of the tracks I'm handicapping and betting opened up. I do a lot of pen and paper handicapping during the day while viewing the pdf's on my computer.

andymays
03-25-2010, 03:03 PM
No. I usually have the PDF's of the tracks I'm handicapping and betting opened up. I do a lot of pen and paper handicapping during the day while viewing the pdf's on my computer.

I used to play Golden Gate quite a bit but I've noticed that I don't play them at all anymore (mainly because of the surface). My usual routine is now to print one track on weekdays and on the weekends normally one full card and maybe the last 4 or 5 races form two other tracks.

Horseplayersbet.com
03-25-2010, 04:08 PM
I used to play Golden Gate quite a bit but I've noticed that I don't play them at all anymore (mainly because of the surface). My usual routine is now to print one track on weekdays and on the weekends normally one full card and maybe the last 4 or 5 races form two other tracks.
I usually print out only Woodbine and Fort Erie, because I help a couple of people claim horses.

acorn54
03-25-2010, 06:48 PM

of course there is less silly money nowadays. the economy is in the toilet. alot of people have the same idea "martha, i am out of work, i think i'll try to make some extra money playing the horses". nobody nowadays can afford to throw away money.

46zilzal
03-25-2010, 06:50 PM
It is so much easier for review, having it all in the computer.

Tom
03-25-2010, 09:28 PM
There is just nothing like cracking open a brand new Racing Form.

That said, I buy very few. Mostly just big days or a Saturday now and then, just to have something to hold onto and read in my Lazy-Boy on Friday night.

And at $7 a throw on Saturday, I read the HELL out of the thing! :eek:

markgoldie
03-25-2010, 09:47 PM
I download at home using Bris, so I am not familiar with DRF downloads. However, the great advantage I find with Bris (and DRF may have the same thing) is the so-called "custom card." This allows you to filter the races by track, surface, class, gimmicks offered, and field size, among other things. It also allows you to download in post-time order, so after you do the printout, you don't have to worry about which race is coming up next.

I highly recommend something like this because it effortlessly lets you maintain a discipline as to the events you will consider. If you combine this with record keeping which tells you where your strengths and weakness are, you can automatically stay into you best advantaged situations. And NOT having the pps for races in which you are not particularly strong will save you a boatload of money over the long haul.

andymays
03-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I download at home using Bris, so I am not familiar with DRF downloads. However, the great advantage I find with Bris (and DRF may have the same thing) is the so-called "custom card." This allows you to filter the races by track, surface, class, gimmicks offered, and field size, among other things. It also allows you to download in post-time order, so after you do the printout, you don't have to worry about which race is coming up next.

I highly recommend something like this because it effortlessly lets you maintain a discipline as to the events you will consider. If you combine this with record keeping which tells you where your strengths and weakness are, you can automatically stay into you best advantaged situations. And NOT having the pps for races in which you are not particularly strong will save you a boatload of money over the long haul.

Good advice Mark. :ThmbUp:

If anyone can answer the question about DRF formulator having the same feature it would be appreciated.

JustRalph
03-25-2010, 09:56 PM

That said, I buy very few. Mostly just big days or a Saturday now and then, just to have something to hold onto and read in my Lazy-Boy on Friday night.

And at $7 a throw on Saturday, I read the HELL out of the thing! :eek:

hold it closer to your face for added value :bang:

And you can always wrap a HCAP in it later...........

ranchwest
03-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I produce my own PPs and reports from Multicaps files.

I don't print anything unless my wife and I are going to the track -- 2 or 3 times a year. If I'm going to the track by myself (seldom), I use an abbreviated set of reports and access those through my BlackBerry. At home, I leave the PPs and reports on my laptop.

I find the track and the DRF to have more negatives than positives -- most notably that they're too expensive.

letswastemoney
03-26-2010, 01:21 AM

I highly recommend something like this because it effortlessly lets you maintain a discipline as to the events you will consider. If you combine this with record keeping which tells you where your strengths and weakness are, you can automatically stay into you best advantaged situations. And NOT having the pps for races in which you are not particularly strong will save you a boatload of money over the long haul.Many people tell me BRIS speed figures are useless.

Although I realize you shouldn't rely on those alone, I think the more useful beyer figures are worth the extra dollars

PhantomOnTour
03-26-2010, 01:38 AM
I think most players will readily admit that it's not that they don't have enough winners; it's that they have too many losers...and those losers are found in the races you shouldn't be playing, either from lack preparation or affinity for that type of race.
It's the 2 minute handicapper---a role WE ALL have played at one time. More like the 2 minute donator, thank you kind fool.
Anyway, the point of this is that I rarely play the 2min capper role because I don't have the pp's for those races anymore. I peruse the card(s) and find my races, like most of us here have said.
I am slowly warming to BRIS style pp's (because they are free if ya know where to go or if your ADW server provides them for no charge, as long as you bet that card) but I love me some old comfortable DRF style lines man. With all I've read about bad BRIS figs this transition is becoming tough.

Nice thread topic :ThmbUp:

PhantomOnTour
03-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to answer your question.

No, I don't think it's hurting handle. Personally I bet the same amount, but on fewer races. Amazing how much betting cash you have when the feature rolls around huh?

CincyHorseplayer
03-26-2010, 04:01 AM
If I bet during the week from October til the end of February I'll print the PP's from home as I usually only play one card anyway.I buy the racing form for all weekend cards though.

From March to the end of September I buy the form and am at the track watching live racing.Weekday cards are only $3.50 and weekend cards $4.50.

Robert Goren
03-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I read them on the computer screen. If you print them for more than one track the ink costs will eat you alive. Maybe someone has found a way to lessen that, if so I would sure like to know about it.

Fingal
03-26-2010, 01:28 PM

That is true, but I stopped buying them many years ago for one reason- PRICE, because I specialize in one circuit. I didn't care to pay for track pps I wasn't going to even look at.

Now I use single file BRIS downloads, use their custom pp generator to cut down the number of running lines & workouts & print out only those I feel are contenders.

Cost of paper & ink was mentioned- at the time I switched from the DRF to BRIS I switched from an inkjet printer to a B & W laser. Initial cost wasn't bad, toner cartriges are more expensive, but I get so much more output, something like 2,500 sheets per drum & even more if I change the copy quality to lighter.

Personally, I would rather use a form because of the tactile feel & larger amount of free space to write, but gotta do what you gotta do.

As to the original question, do I bet less with downloads ? No, but then I was very selective as to my bets before I went to that.

markgoldie
03-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I read them on the computer screen. If you print them for more than one track the ink costs will eat you alive. Maybe someone has found a way to lessen that, if so I would sure like to know about it.
Virtually all ink cartridges are refillable. I use a Lexmark Z series printer and I got it because their straight black-ink cartridges are the biggest- they hold the most volume. I buy bulk black ink by the gallon and refill the cartridges. To do this you need a one-time purchase of a refilling kit (which is inexpensive). The kit consists of a reusable syringe and a boring tool which allows you to make a hole in the cartridge. The instructions will tell you where to bore the hole on most cartridges. If not, you can find the info on the net. The number of times you can reuse an individual cartridges will vary widely. I don't know why, but it has to do with the manufacturing of the individual cartridge. Some cartridges can be reused 20+ times, while others become ineffective after only a half-dozen or so uses. To keep costs down, you can purchase refilled cartridges to begin with and there are multiple sites on the net that offer them. The biggest drawback to using refilled cartridges is that you will usually have to "burn" a page or two when you start printing because for some reason, they print light for a couple of pages.

In general, though, if you do this, your priniting costs per page will go to very, very litttle. I can print a thousand pages for what amounts to a few dollars.

Horseplayersbet.com
03-26-2010, 01:57 PM
I order my ink online for 7 bucks a cartridge from a refill joint. I usually get one bad cartridge out of every 10 I order...but I can live with that.

andymays
03-26-2010, 05:30 PM
The thread made the equidaily website highlights for 3-26.

http://www.equidaily.com/

>>> Interesting: Internet fan forum discussion -- Does the use of online PPs lead to less betting?

GaryG
03-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I read them on the computer screen. If you print them for more than one track the ink costs will eat you alive. Maybe someone has found a way to lessen that, if so I would sure like to know about it.A laser printer is the answer. I print two tracks most days, 8-9 a week, and the toner cartridges last about 6-8 weeks.

JohnGalt1
03-27-2010, 11:04 AM
I print in draft mode. It is easy to read at my desk, but would be a pain anywhere else.

Once I convert the data to my worksheet at my desk, I seldom need to look at it again.

Tom
03-27-2010, 11:53 AM
I print on a laser jet, and get my cartridges on line - about 1/2 price of the stores. And I use the back sides of the sheets the next day to save paper. Just remember not to turn your stack over during the card! :D

Those little netbooks are handy to carry around with your PDF on them. That's the plan for Toga this year.

CincyHorseplayer
03-28-2010, 01:36 AM
I print on a laser jet, and get my cartridges on line - about 1/2 price of the stores. And I use the back sides of the sheets the next day to save paper. Just remember not to turn your stack over during the card! :D

Those little netbooks are handy to carry around with your PDF on them. That's the plan for Toga this year.

Tom get up off your ass and go to the track buddy!!:cool:

BombsAway Bob
03-28-2010, 02:34 AM
When i bought my ACER notebook 5 years ago,
I got a "free" Canon Pixma~ iP3000 to go with it.
Two-Pack Black Ink replacement cartridges ran $20.
After +4 years, the printer finally stopped printing.
Since it was 45 minutes until postime, i ran to Walfart.
A Brand-New Canon Pixma~ iP2600, $30..with 2 INK Cartridges!
I Went to get New replacement cartridges... $21 EACH!!!!
I Started printing PP's..it seemed ink tanks were running our FAST!
(i alway use lightest ink settings that are readable)
I Checked the CANON INK TANK packaging fine print..
Old Ink Tanks (BCI-3eBK)=27ml
New Ink Tanks (PG-40)=16ml
Twice The Cost, + 1/3 less ink!

takeout
03-28-2010, 03:16 AM
A laser printer is the answer.Agree. I was slow to convert but happy that I have. A lot less hassle.

Zman179
03-28-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't have a laser printer as there's limited space on my workdesk, instead I have an All-in-One. So to reduce ink costs, what I do is read the pp's right off of the computer when I am betting at home and write my notes down on notebook paper. If I'm going to the track/OTB, I will generally use the Bris Quick Play Page Saver PP's (for races that give me at least five pp's per horse) and will print on both sides of the paper; races 1-5 will be on one side and 6-9+ will be on the other, this way I only flip over once. If I'm pulling an all day affair and betting on at least three full cards that day, I'll just buy a DRF.

Lasix67
03-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Ok, there are 2 things I hate and that I seemed to always have problems with: 1 is a weed eater and the 2nd is printers, but a couple of years ago I found the solution and it has paid for itself many times over. I purchased a HP officejet Pro K550 first which is very fast. I then purchased a continuous ink system from echostore.com for my Hp printer. I only have to purchase refills maybe once a year for about $10-15 a color, which is still a steal. I print a lot of forms and it was worth every penny I spent. A must have if you print forms at home.

andymays
03-28-2010, 02:07 PM
When the DRF started offering run up distances and turf rail positions I started printing the PP's at home instead of buying the DRF at a store.

Ever since I started doing that I've noticed that I am a lot more selective in the races I play and that's a good thing.

Buying ink and using up paper can be a pain in the ass so that's part of the reason.

Does anyone think that printing the PP's at home and being more selective in the races we play is causing a small drop in handle? We all know there are other important factors but could printing the PP's online be a small part of it?

Any opinions?

My fault for not making a better thread title but the main point of the thread was to see what everyone thinks about online PP's causing a drop in handle.

Is purchasing PP's online causing players to be more selective in the races they play and is that responsible for a small drop in handle across the country?

Lasix67
03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
No

andymays
03-28-2010, 02:30 PM
No

I probably bet 25% less.

only11
03-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Ok, there are 2 things I hate and that I seemed to always have problems with: 1 is a weed eater and the 2nd is printers, but a couple of years ago I found the solution and it has paid for itself many times over. I purchased a HP officejet Pro K550 first which is very fast. I then purchased a continuous ink system from echostore.com for my Hp printer. I only have to purchase refills maybe once a year for about $10-15 a color, which is still a steal. I print a lot of forms and it was worth every penny I spent. A must have if you print forms at home.
what was the cost on the officejet

Robert Goren
03-28-2010, 03:33 PM
My fault for not making a better thread title but the main point of the thread was to see what everyone thinks about online PP's causing a drop in handle.

Is purchasing PP's online causing players to be more selective in the races they play and is that responsible for a small drop in handle across the country?No. I think it causing players to bet more races at more tracks. The drop in handle is caused by the death of long time horse players. JMO

Lasix67
03-28-2010, 04:23 PM
what was the cost on the officejet

I don't remember the exact cost because it was 2 years ago, but I want to say it was like $150 and the continuous ink system was like another $100 and I've purchase maybe $50 worth of ink in the 2 years I've had the setup. Now they make continuous ink system for several different printers. I am not sure of all of the ones the make them for, HP and a few others, you just need to checkout their website, but I have printed a ton of pp's with what I have and I am very satisfied. Just hope this info will help.

Bill Cullen
03-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Why buy the Form when you can get good-enough equivalent pp's for free online when betting a deuce on a horse through an internet site?

I can't speak for others, but the savings over a year is significant for me.

Bill C

Lasix67
03-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Why buy the Form when you can get good-enough equivalent pp's for free online when betting a deuce on a horse through an internet site?

I can't speak for others, but the savings over a year is significant for me.

Bill C

That's what I do

appistappis
03-29-2010, 12:40 AM
bought my drf for tomorrow........theres a notice in it that there raising the price AGAIN to 6 bucks.

BombsAway Bob
03-29-2010, 01:07 AM

Is purchasing PP's online causing players to be more selective in the races they play and is that responsible for a small drop in handle across the country?
no

MAGICHORSEMAN
03-29-2010, 01:06 PM
When i bought my ACER notebook 5 years ago,
I got a "free" Canon Pixma~ iP3000 to go with it.
Two-Pack Black Ink replacement cartridges ran $20.
After +4 years, the printer finally stopped printing.
Since it was 45 minutes until postime, i ran to Walfart.
A Brand-New Canon Pixma~ iP2600, $30..with 2 INK Cartridges!
I Went to get New replacement cartridges... $21 EACH!!!!
I Started printing PP's..it seemed ink tanks were running our FAST!
(i alway use lightest ink settings that are readable)
I Checked the CANON INK TANK packaging fine print..
Old Ink Tanks (BCI-3eBK)=27ml
New Ink Tanks (PG-40)=16ml
Twice The Cost, + 1/3 less ink!

I use hp laserjet 4 with toner and save tons of money on printing. a $12 cartridge on ebay last for months

fmolf
03-29-2010, 05:28 PM
bought my drf for tomorrow........theres a notice in it that there raising the price AGAIN to 6 bucks.
I just paid 6.50 on sunday in new york....usually i print out free bris or i buy the equibase trackmasters and print them out never more than two tracks when i go to the track.When i have the form with its 6 tracks, i tend to bet a little more on "watch bets"....with online pp's printed out or otherwise i do bet a little less.

jimmy m
03-29-2010, 06:21 PM
The racing form here at Prairie Meadows is 7 bucks but we have a individual program for each track for a buck and all the basic info is there i find i do just as good with those.I usually buy the form on Saturday but for 7 bucks little pricey now.

surfdog89
03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Maybe this is off the subject but you can get the Past Performances of Santa Anita and Golden Gate free if you go to speedfigures.com or go to the past performances http://www.horse-races.net/library/links-pastperformances.htm#free and look up Baffert or O'neil.... and other trainers as well............. just a thought ........... http://www.speedfigures.com/ tuesday night they will have Wednesday's card for Santa Anita......... free if you register......... surfdog89

PhantomOnTour
03-29-2010, 06:40 PM
The Saturday edition of DRF has now hit an unacceptable $8 at Evangeline Downs and all their Finish Line OTB locations in southwest Louisiana.

$8 !!!

PhantomOnTour
03-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Meanwhile, over in New Orleans, the same DRF costs $4.50.

Lasix67
04-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Do you think they will lower the price like they do crawfish after Easter? :)

fast4522
04-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I spoke to the Sportsbook manager at a casino I visit in Las Vegas. He told me that they pay $1 for racing form and I was welcome to have one every day as long as I do not mark it up and return it at the end of the day or pay the $1 no matter what it says the price is on the front. He told me that the ones that do not sell are taken back. The point is the huge cover price is what the racetrack or OTB is gouging you for.

senortout
04-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Of course, you can refill your own ink cartridges, I have a canon pixma mp620 and I am still using my second black cartridge after 3 years....the first one dried up inside as I wasn't able to refill it before time allowed it to crust up inside. The process is messy at first, but you get good at it.

Lately, however, being a shut-in type better;) I have taken to viewing the pps on the monitor exclusively. I do have two monitors, however, one of which I devote to leaving the pps displayed. Viewing my betting web pages on the other monitor, I make notes on scratch paper about each live runner and decide from there.

senortout....who advises the at home better to forget printing the pps!!!!

ps refilling your own cartidges cuts the expense of ink by a factor of 10, at least.

rrbauer
04-07-2010, 05:34 PM

No. Horseplayers will find a way to bet whatever money they have. Fewer races = more money per race. Unless you're fairly new to the game, becoming selective about what you're betting on has nothing to do with where you get your pp's. When people complain about spending a couple bucks for online pp's you have to wonder how much money they have to bet anyway.

maxwell
04-09-2010, 05:35 AM
Most players are weekend warriors so they put up with the cost of a Form. I considered getting the Form on-line years ago but found the savings were not worth the trouble. But it's a big-time waste of money and paper as I play only sprint races at major tracks.

Over the past few years I've found that I no longer mark up the Form with the colored pens, no more circles, x's and ! marks.

In short, I should now be using the on-line version as I no longer need to print out the pp's. I know what I'm looking for. Several other posters have turned on the bulb over my head. I wonder how many of you are printing pp's due to rote?

To answer the question : I would not bet more or less.

takeout
04-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I wonder how many of you are printing pp's due to rote?I’m guilty. :blush:

But it's a big-time waste of money and paper as I play only sprint races at major tracks.You might want to look in to Custom Card at BRIS.

I think I bet about the same. I would think that having PP’s available online would increase handle, if anything.