PDA

View Full Version : Censorship/Editing

turfbar
03-25-2010, 10:20 AM
It's amazing what kind of censorship exists here.

Truly ,

Turfbar

BillW
03-25-2010, 10:21 AM

Truly ,

Turfbar

we would appreciate examples

PaceAdvantage
03-25-2010, 10:45 AM

Truly ,

TurfbarAmazing? How dramatic of you...

We've been able to run a successful message board for 10+ years because we don't tolerate total bullshit (only partial bullshit :lol: ) or totally repetitive, or totally off-topic, or totally personal posts/threads...

If you feel something was edited and/or removed that requires reexamination, please feel free to discuss its merits. Often times, stuff isn't completely removed...it is placed in a sort of "thread purgatory," so whatever it was that you found so amazing, perhaps you can convince us to reinstate it as it likely is still available.

With all that said, I would be curious to see what you consider "Amazing Censorship." Something tells me it's not going to be all that amazing after all.

Greyfox
03-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Truly ,

Turfbar

Did you extract from the above Turfbar? It seems to be lacking meat on its bones.

cj
03-25-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm curious to hear what was censored.

PaceAdvantage
03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
My guess is it's the thread CWD started about TLG...but I could be wrong...after all, there is "amazing" censorship around here, so it could be anything...

46zilzal
03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
we would appreciate examples
How can people show examples of things already deleted?

andymays
03-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Truly ,

Turfbar

Respectfully disagree turfbar.

If anything they go out of their way to let stuff stand on it's own.

The responsibility and the liability is all on them so when there is a dispute sometimes there is a history to the dispute that we aren't aware of. That can make a big difference.

I'm sure I've had a couple threads locked or something I've said deleted but if they think it's in the best interest of the board then it's their call.

Just my 2 cents! ;)

Zippy Chippy
03-25-2010, 11:32 AM

The responsibility and the liability is all on them so when there is a dispute sometimes there is a history to the dispute that we aren't aware of. That can make a big difference.

I'm sure I've had a couple threads locked or something I've said deleted but if they think it's in the best interest of the board then it's their call.

Just my 2 cents! ;)

+1

one of the reasons i love this site

fast4522
03-25-2010, 11:43 AM
"Amazing Censorship"

I can not agree with that because I feel I have expressed some on the edge but not quite on the cusp remarks using words like filth, and vermin and marketeers.

To the credit of this administrator, such is in the context of the expression and was left alone. This BBS has become the melting pot for many ideas of thought and it is because of a even hand by the administrator that the BBS has grown in popularity. As the say in New England "cool beans man!".

Deepsix
03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Not a case of 'censorship' (I don't believe), and no devious accusations, BUT...

There was a thread started last evening concerning the California Marketing Committee and reference to $32m. The OP had few facts/knowledge but the post seemed to be of an accusatory tone. I searched the organization and found/posted a couple links and while further searching the topic of just how much money was distributed to/from the organization I returned to the topic within about 7-8 minutes and discovered that it had disappeared. No biggie as far as I was concerned, and I did learn about the CMC organization, however I was unsure of why the thread was deleted. I assumed that it was just a ragged topic and you thought it best to drop it. I have no interest in resurrecting that thread-- I'm just using it as an example.

In a case like that maybe just editing the undesirable portion, or saying why the topic disappeared would have been helpful since I was scratching my head as to where the thread went. lol My brief experience is that the board/moderators seem to operate a pretty open and tolerant board.

turfnsport
03-25-2010, 12:00 PM

I'm hearing noise out of California that the CHRB is about to mandate all of the threads Andy starts locked.

andymays
03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm hearing noise out of California that the CHRB is about to mandate all of the threads Andy starts locked.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit! ;) :lol:

chickenhead
03-25-2010, 12:23 PM
I write a lot of what seems like really smart and insightful stuff at the time -- but whenever I run across old posts of mine I cringe because they read like crazy nonsense.

I have long suspected tampering by that BillW guy.

PaceAdvantage
03-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Not a case of 'censorship' (I don't believe), and no devious accusations, BUT...

There was a thread started last evening concerning the California Marketing Committee and reference to $32m. The OP had few facts/knowledge but the post seemed to be of an accusatory tone. I searched the organization and found/posted a couple links and while further searching the topic of just how much money was distributed to/from the organization I returned to the topic within about 7-8 minutes and discovered that it had disappeared. No biggie as far as I was concerned, and I did learn about the CMC organization, however I was unsure of why the thread was deleted. I assumed that it was just a ragged topic and you thought it best to drop it. I have no interest in resurrecting that thread-- I'm just using it as an example.

In a case like that maybe just editing the undesirable portion, or saying why the topic disappeared would have been helpful since I was scratching my head as to where the thread went. lol My brief experience is that the board/moderators seem to operate a pretty open and tolerant board.The originator of that thread in question requested that it be removed. I almost always respect a request of deletion if it's made by the author himself.

Deepsix
03-25-2010, 12:47 PM
I appreciate that. Thanks.

Cardus
03-25-2010, 01:37 PM

Truly ,

Turfbar

Oh really?

GameTheory
03-25-2010, 01:44 PM
I write a lot of what seems like really smart and insightful stuff at the time -- but whenever I run across old posts of mine I cringe because they read like crazy nonsense.

I have long suspected tampering by that BillW guy.I suspect you unconsciously sabotage the sense of your own writing because of the unforseen psychological impact of naming yourself "Chickenhead" -- your subconscious mind took that label and ran with it...

Relwob Owner
03-25-2010, 01:58 PM

Just my 2 cents! ;)

I agree with this entire post, particularly the part in bold, which seems to be the part that most people dont consider....I personally dont agree all the time with some of the things the moderators do but knowing the overall job that is done at this site makes it easy to put those thoughts aside......

WinterTriangle
03-25-2010, 02:16 PM
After 2,401 posts, I can honestly say I don't feel at all censored here, and that includes being able to link to other sites, which many boards do not permit.

Of course, I never say anything of great import so it's probably not worth censoring :lol: :D

bigmack
03-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I suspect you unconsciously sabotage the sense of your own writing because of the unforseen psychological impact of naming yourself "Chickenhead" -- your subconscious mind took that label and ran with it...
I fully support this theory and Game Theory

GameTheory
03-25-2010, 02:33 PM
I fully support this theory and Game TheoryThe best handle I ever saw on a message board was "Almighty God"...

Relwob Owner
03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
My guess is it's the thread CWD started about TLG...but I could be wrong...after all, there is "amazing" censorship around here, so it could be anything...

Hey Pace,

You will never get anything from me about what or what not to edit because this is such an awesome site and must be a huge undertaking to take care of.....I am curious, though, why the TLG site was withdrawn. I had posted on it and at that point, I think most of it was questioning CWD's side of it....just wondering where it went South...maybe I missed something. As always, thanks for all you do on the site.

Hanover1
03-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Censorship here? What a joke....I am often at odds with members of this forum, and it is taken well for the most part. A horsemans point of view, especially mine, with issues both positive and negative about my career, often do not mesh well with those opinions that bettors, handicappers, and other horseman for that matter. However, I am allowed FREE rein to voice my opinions and facts as I see them. I suspect that it is because I try not to cross the lines of respect and decency, and try to keep our sport in a positive light, regardless of perceived realities or situations we banter about...
In short, the thread starter here has a flat tire on his bandwagon imo.... :rolleyes:

joanied
03-25-2010, 05:38 PM
I think Turfbar is paranoid...besides the fact that running a site like this one is monumental...I think all the moderators do a great job and are more than fair..in fact, many times Pace will give a warning that a line is close to being crossed, before he shuts down a thread or deletes someones post...
what Turfbar said is just nonsence...IMO:)

:jump: I LOVE :kiss: THIS PLACE :jump:

rwwupl
03-25-2010, 05:39 PM

In a case like that maybe just editing the undesirable portion, or saying why the topic disappeared would have been helpful since I was scratching my head as to where the thread went. lol My brief experience is that the board/moderators seem to operate a pretty open and tolerant board.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is speculation on my part, but there might have been some confusion on behalf of the poster. There are so many organizations with alphabet type titles, I do not blame him.

The California Racing Alliance was given 32 million from the States general fund for the California Fairs and to support the CHRB for 2009-10. They will be funded this way in the future.

See story below...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/49434/california-racing-gets-aid-from-state

California Racing Gets Aid From State
By Jack Shinar
Updated: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:47 AM
Posted: Monday, March 2, 2009 9:57 AM
Email
Print
RSS ShareThis Email A FriendClose Window Legislation linked to the long-delayed approval of the California state budget Feb. 20 could mean up to an additional $32 million a year for the state’s beleaguered horse racing industry.

The bill, which goes into effect July 1 for the 2009-10 fiscal year, transfers responsibility for funding the state fair system from license fees paid by racing associations on wagering revenue. Instead, the state’s general fund will deposit $32 million each year, with the money going into the California Fair and Exposition Fund.

California horse racing contributed $33.8 million to the Fair and Exposition Fund in 2007-08. The budget for California Horse Racing Board operations, including equine drug testing, also comes from the fund.

“We’ve been trying to get this done for two years,” Craig Fravel, executive vice president of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, said Feb. 26. “We found the opening (the state budget battle) and someone who was willing to listen.”

~~the rest at the link above~~

Saratoga_Mike
03-25-2010, 05:45 PM
The originator of that thread in question requested that it be removed. I almost always respect a request of deletion if it's made by the author himself.

It seems to me the originator of that post has a tendency to post inflammatory accusations, then quickly back away from them when he's challenged to provide supporting links/evidence for his assertions. When people make wild claims on here, you consistently demand evidence. I did the same thing last night, and the poster wanted no part of it. Perhaps that poster should think before he posts.

Saratoga_Mike
03-25-2010, 05:47 PM
RWW, thank you for the correct information on this matter.

Relwob Owner
03-25-2010, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=rwwupl]------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is speculation on my part, but there might have been some confusion on behalf of the poster. There are so many organizations with alphabet type titles, I do not blame him.

The California Racing Alliance was given 32 million from the States general fund for the California Fairs and to support the CHRB for 2009-10. They will be funded this way in the future.

Thanks for posting that....one would think that the thread starter could have just provided similar info or just asked for correct info when questioned about it....instead, they asked to have the thread shut down when questioned about the numbers, which was strange and didnt add a lot of credibility to his/her argument

Steve 'StatMan'
03-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Uh oh. RWW posted the whole article, although provided the link. If that gets edited, it's because of copyright issues, not necessarily the content.

PaceAdvantage
03-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Uh oh. RWW posted the whole article, although provided the link. If that gets edited, it's because of copyright issues, not necessarily the content.Yeah, nothing like editing a reply in a thread about censorship/editing...lol...I couldn't resist...

Plus, it's a long standing rule that the full text of copyrighted material is NOT to be reproduced on this message board.

Deepsix
03-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Speaking of speculation, I have a couple comments I might add to this non-thread BUT it would just be speculation.

rwwupl
03-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah, nothing like editing a reply in a thread about censorship/editing...lol...I couldn't resist...

Plus, it's a long standing rule that the full text of copyrighted material is NOT to be reproduced on this message board.

There does not seem to be much serious news, so I will apologize for violating protocol, with my speculation. :)

turfbar
03-26-2010, 10:58 PM
OMG would've responded earlier but I couldn't stop laffing at the responses from my fellow members, all walking in lock step with the moderator and not even knowing what was censored. OMG that's funny!!

What's even funnier the moderator doesn't even know what he censored.
OMG! OMG! that's so funny! I think I peed my pants! Stop ! Stop your killing me.

I must reiterate what I said on another board about moderators,now tell me if you think this funny,, moderators think they are smarter than they actually are.
OOOOHH gawd that is funny stop your killing me . As Mel Brooks said "It's good to be the king".

Turfbar

Deepsix
03-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Turfbar, give the keyboard back to the babysitter. You obviously shouldn't be posting at this time of night and I'll tell your parents if you don't knock it off.

JustRalph
03-27-2010, 12:03 AM
The best handle I ever saw on a message board was "Almighty God"...

That was just Morgan Freeman

Stillriledup
03-27-2010, 01:59 AM
For the most part, this is a good board. I know of a few other boards out there in cyberspace that have a quick trigger finger when it comes to locking threads, banning posters and pretty much playing god with other people's lives.

This board is sensitive when it comes to accusing people of being cheats or crooks, even if the accusation is 100% true. I can see their point of view, they don't want to have any chance of someone who was accused coming back and threatening some kind of lawsuit for defamation.

This place here does a very good job at keeping the inmates inside the asylum without them running it. I wouldn't put this board in the Amazing censorship category.

Greyfox
03-27-2010, 02:26 AM
OMG would've responded earlier but I couldn't stop laffing at the responses from my fellow members, all walking in lock step with the moderator and not even knowing what was censored. OMG that's funny!!

OMG! OMG! that's so funny! I think I peed my pants! Stop ! Stop your killing me.

I must reiterate what I said on another board about moderators,now tell me if you think this funny,, moderators think they are smarter than they actually are.
OOOOHH gawd that is funny stop your killing me . As Mel Brooks said "It's good to be the king".

Turfbar

"Laffing" are yee.
Recommended reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_People_Play_(book)

Games People Play - In particular pay attention to "Child to Adult" interactions.
Does the word "buffoon" cross your..mind...if I can call it that. :lol: :lol:

thespaah
03-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Amazing? How dramatic of you...

We've been able to run a successful message board for 10+ years because we don't tolerate total bullshit (only partial bullshit :lol: ) or totally repetitive, or totally off-topic, or totally personal posts/threads...

If you feel something was edited and/or removed that requires reexamination, please feel free to discuss its merits. Often times, stuff isn't completely removed...it is placed in a sort of "thread purgatory," so whatever it was that you found so amazing, perhaps you can convince us to reinstate it as it likely is still available.

With all that said, I would be curious to see what you consider "Amazing Censorship." Something tells me it's not going to be all that amazing after all.I have a question....Isn't bullshit used as an adjective an absolute? Cuz when we claim "that's bullshit" it is what it is.
To me, it's BS or it isn't BS..
What are your thoughts?
Just having a little fun here.

jballscalls
03-27-2010, 01:39 PM
the off topic is proof enough that there is little or no censorship here. I mean the main guy is clearly on one side of the spectrum, and he allows pretty much whatever to be spewed from either side, even if he disagrees with the postings.

plus, even if this place was censored, it's their playground, they can kick us out anytime they'd like.

Keep up the good work PA and co.

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2010, 01:54 AM

TurfbarThe fact that you're still coming here provides all the affirmation one would need...

Next.

Dave Schwartz
03-28-2010, 02:46 AM
Can't stop laffing

Mr. Turfbar,

I respectfully suggest that you seek medical attention. Or perhaps just check yourself into a facility.

Sincerely,
Dave Schwartz
Amateur Psychologist

(Yes, it is humor. OMG!

Tom
03-28-2010, 09:36 AM
May I suggest a third action to TBs list?

Banning.

born2ride
03-28-2010, 01:04 PM

Turfbar
I don't know who died and made you king, but IMO you're acting more like the court jester.

If you don't like the moderation, the moderator, the TOS, or the editing to protect the board's existence then maybe this is not the board for you.

turfbar
03-29-2010, 10:13 AM
The fact that you're still coming here provides all the affirmation one would need...

Next.

Let me respond To the moderator --the epitome of hubris

To Born2ride---I'm not the king,the moderator is

When you censor something you are protecting something

and to all my fellow contributors I made a statement about censorship on this board and you attacked me as being crazy ,needing therapy, nut job and banning.

Amazing truly amazing

Turfbar

Tom
03-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Not so amazing. You made a vague degratory comment about someone who we all not only appreciate but like as a friend and did not have the decency to either spell out what your whine of the day was to to contact him via PM.
I find that unacceptable and outright rude.

PA the King?
Of course he is. He pays the bills.
We are guests here. None of us are entitled to be here.

You run your own board, you make the rules.

PaceAdvantage
03-29-2010, 12:57 PM
This is going into off-topic where it belongs. The originator of this thread has had plenty of time to address whatever issue he has, but instead he continues to post (what he thinks are) clever retorts which don't serve anyone any good.

ArlJim78
03-29-2010, 01:08 PM

I have long suspected tampering by that BillW guy.
Let me know if you find the person who tampered with your posts, because the same thing has been going on with some of my old brilliant posts.

boxcar
03-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Truly ,

Turfbar

Apart from whatever it is to which you're alluding, censorship exists within virtually every privately owned business. The owner gets to call shots. That's part 'n' parcel of being boss. It comes with the territory. I'm amazed you haven't learned this by now.

Boxcar

mostpost
03-29-2010, 02:14 PM
If they were going to censor anyone it would be me, cause I'm so brilliant and cute and all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
But I get to say what I want. (With no shortage of retorts)

Sometimes, a day or two later I wish they would have censored me. Only because of something I may have said about another poster, not because of my opinions which are brilliant and cute and all. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Greyfox
03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
and to all my fellow contributors I made a statement about censorship on this board and you attacked me as being crazy ,needing therapy, nut job and banning.

Turfbar

Attacked?? Hardly. People offered you kind advice. Please heed it.