PDA

View Full Version : One million dollar budget, how do you spend it?

Stillriledup
03-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm giving you a million hypothetical bucks and i'm going to ask you in what way would you spend that million in order to help your favorite racetrack the best? Would you have one big night and give out a 20 dollar voucher to the first 50,000 people thru the turnstiles? How about spending a million dollars on bobbleheads of the tracks leading jockey? Taking an ad out in the local newspaper?

How do YOU spend the million and what track would you spend it on.

Stillriledup
03-24-2010, 09:05 PM
I think i would take the million and have fifty different 20k carryovers. I'd add the 20k to random pools, one per day for 50 straight days. I would promote the crap out of it on message boards like this, so i can give the money to the players and not spend 1 penny on advertising. I would have huge signs in front of my track, "tonights 3rd race exacta pool will start out with a 20k carryover" Then, i would have signs explaining that for the next 50 nights, there will be one race pool in one race selected for the carryover to exist.

Buckeye
03-24-2010, 09:11 PM
I'd take the Million and hire hit men to get rid of the bad people. :) Seriously though, if I could, I'd try and find an Ad Agency who could "explain" somehow the advantages of parimutual betting over luck to the general population.

Dahoss9698
03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
I would buy a million dollars worth of rubber gloves for the people cooking. That way they could use a separate pair for handling chicken and beef and no one's day will be ruined anymore.

Igeteven
03-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm giving you a million hypothetical bucks and i'm going to ask you in what way would you spend that million in order to help your favorite racetrack the best? Would you have one big night and give out a 20 dollar voucher to the first 50,000 people thru the turnstiles? How about spending a million dollars on bobbleheads of the tracks leading jockey? Taking an ad out in the local newspaper?

How do YOU spend the million and what track would you spend it on.

No, give out vouchers to bet or eat with.

Stillriledup
03-24-2010, 09:28 PM
I would buy a million dollars worth of rubber gloves for the people cooking. That way they could use a separate pair for handling chicken and beef and no one's day will be ruined anymore.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sandpit
03-24-2010, 11:08 PM
I would set up a winner take all match race between the two best horses in the land, whoever they were, on a Saturday night at Churchill Downs as the first-ever night racing under the newly installed lighting. I wouldn't use the $1M for the purse, I would take purse money, whatever I determined it to be, out of several of the bloated departmental budgets and salaries that exist within the company.

I would make sure the infield was open and stocked with Hooters-type girls selling beer and drinks, roving mutuel clerks, and a stage or two for those who want to groove between the races. I would make sure my Racing Secretary had a 10-race card loaded with full fields so every bettor in the country would want to play my track instead of the lovely Moutaineer or Los Al.

I wouldn't charge for people to get in, or maybe just a $1 or $2 at most, which some might think I'm throwing away a lot of revenue when 70,000 show up. But with that kind of attendance, giving away the gate won't matter when all the money is counted.

Why are so many people going to show up for a night match race? This is where the $1M comes in. On every race on the card, everybody in attendance will have one chance to guess the final time (in hundredths) for the winner. I'd have to figure out the logistics of this, but I see some sort of barcoded program that also contains the voucher that could be run through the betting machines. I'm guessing you could code each race's voucher to be unable to be read once said race goes off. Kind of like a scantron type thing. Anyway, whoever picks the winning time gets $100K each race, ties would be split equally. I'd throw in an extra $100K house money for the match race to make it worth $200K to the winning fan(s).

Pipe dreams...

JustRalph
03-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Give a fifty dollar voucher to anybody who would sit through a 2-3 hour class on how to play the horses. You must be under 30 yrs of age to get the voucher. Make sure whomever gives the class is upbeat, funny and able to explain it well. Make the voucher good for anything purchased at the track. At the windows, the snack bar, wherever the hell they want. They provide an email address and take the class, that's it.

Partner up with Youbet/Twinspires etc to provide something free also. Voucher, PP's or whatever they come up with, as long as they use it to bet on my track.

That covers 20k possible new players, new players I got 50 bucks invested in.

If I am lucky and ten percent of them become players........over the long haul I should get my money back. If another 2% become serious players......even better............

tzipi
03-24-2010, 11:14 PM

Had me laughing after I was just reading the "food at the racetrack" thread :lol: :lol:

Robert Goren
03-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I would fix the place up. Make into someplace that looks half way decent. Someplace I would not be ashamed to take a lady. JMO

Stillriledup
03-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Pit, i love your idea of hooters-type girls, you have my vote!

Ralph, i love your idea on a classroom teaching people racing. If you think you know something, you're more likely to come back. This is a super idea.

castaway01
03-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Give a fifty dollar voucher to anybody who would sit through a 2-3 hour class on how to play the horses. You must be under 30 yrs of age to get the voucher. Make sure whomever gives the class is upbeat, funny and able to explain it well. Make the voucher good for anything purchased at the track. At the windows, the snack bar, wherever the hell they want. They provide an email address and take the class, that's it.

Partner up with Youbet/Twinspires etc to provide something free also. Voucher, PP's or whatever they come up with, as long as they use it to bet on my track.

That covers 20k possible new players, new players I got 50 bucks invested in.

If I am lucky and ten percent of them become players........over the long haul I should get my money back. If another 2% become serious players......even better............

I might raise the age limit to 50, figuring if I get some 50-year-olds and they retire in a few years, they might gamble with me for another 30 years after that. Great idea though.

InsideThePylons-MW
03-25-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm giving you a million hypothetical bucks and i'm going to ask you in what way would you spend that million in order to help your favorite racetrack the best?

800K goes into horsemen's purse account which will improve quality of racing.

200K goes to raising horsemen organization's leadership salaries which will improve the quality of applicant who ends up in charge of the sport.

johnhannibalsmith
03-25-2010, 12:31 PM

200K goes to raising horsemen organization's leadership salaries which will improve the quality of applicant who ends up in charge of the sport.

Bad idea. Just give the million to lobbyists fighting for slots and the million will go way farther in the long run.

chickenhead
03-25-2010, 01:27 PM
biggest problem are the real problems which makes a lot of marketing pointless.

that said, I'd just try and get some mindshare, remind the average joe that racing still exists. Normal people don't think about horseracing but maybe, if you're lucky, once a year for the Derby. I'd take the million and pay every bar within a 50 or 100 mile radius to play TVG on at least one prime location big screen TV 24/7.

Stillriledup
03-25-2010, 09:07 PM

:lol:

elhelmete
03-25-2010, 09:11 PM
I'd take the million and pay every bar within a 50 or 100 mile radius to play TVG on at least one prime location big screen TV 24/7.

My old man had a runner one afternoon and I was partaking of a cigar and beer in a cigar lounge and asked if I could change channel to TVG for 5 minutes. You would have thought I asked for them to watch The Kardashian's or something.

bisket
03-25-2010, 09:13 PM
by a horse

JustRalph
03-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Chicken.......like that one too..........