PDA

View Full Version : Safety for Jockeys

Mr. ECB
03-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I know jockeys have a very tough job, and I often worry about their safety. I ask you members, what would make jockeys safer since we are in modern times?

I say that jockeys should wear cups and mouthpieces. I think this would help the jockeys safety greatly and I think there won't be quite the number of injuries there are otherwise.

Any thoughts?

Horseplayersbet.com
03-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah I have a question. How many new threads do you intend to start?

Mr. ECB
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM

I'll let you know when I reach that number

PhantomOnTour
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Score! :ThmbUp:

Dahoss9698
03-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Cups and mouthpieces sounds like a fantastic idea. The female riders will be helped out greatly by wearing cups.

I have an idea....it's a little wacky, but hear me out. How about if we wrap jockeys in bubble wrap before they ride. That way, if they fall, they will be safe and bubble wrap makes that cool noise when you pop it. Seems like a win/win to me.

I have other ideas about horse safety also, but lets tackle one problem at a time.

Brogan
03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Cups and mouthpieces sounds like a fantastic idea. The female riders will be helped out greatly by wearing cups.

I have an idea....it's a little wacky, but hear me out. How about if we wrap jockeys in bubble wrap before they ride. That way, if they fall, they will be safe and bubble wrap makes that cool noise when you pop it. Seems like a win/win to me.

I have other ideas about horse safety also, but lets tackle one problem at a time.
I have a better idea, and it kills two birds with one stone. Don't wrap the jocks in bubble wrap...replace the racing strip with bubble wrap. You get the cool noise EVERY race and if someone unfortunately goes down, they will be protected.

It could be a synthetic surface that actually works!

Bettowin
03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Robots!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0aEtNH1NyY

breezing
03-24-2010, 05:12 PM
bubble wrap is not very sustainable - waiting to see who will be the first jockey be to adopt the Point Two Inflatable Air Vest (it's popular in eventing) http://www.advancedequine.com/2-Pro-Air-Vest-p/130-pavest.htm

Mr. ECB
03-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Why is my thread turning into a joke? Those are serious points I make and am disappointed you guys are mocking my post.

Please stick to the topic and if you can't, then stay off my thread.

Robert Goren
03-24-2010, 05:25 PM
It is tough to talk seriously about jockey safety after you just seen a jockey give what you consider a stiff job. JMO

FenceBored
03-24-2010, 05:27 PM
bubble wrap is not very sustainable - waiting to see who will be the first jockey be to adopt the Point Two Inflatable Air Vest (it's popular in eventing) http://www.advancedequine.com/2-Pro-Air-Vest-p/130-pavest.htm

The trigger mechanism (attached from vest to stirrup leathers) might be a problem. The first time somebody gets unseated in the gate and has the vest inflate would be the last time anybody in that colony would want to use one.

Dahoss9698
03-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Why is my thread turning into a joke? Those are serious points I make and am disappointed you guys are mocking my post.

I was being serious. Although as someone who theoretically just got here, should you be telling people who can and can't post in "your" thread?

Anyway, here's my idea for horseys. Let's wrap horseys in foam. Sure, they'll run slower, but if they fall at least there will be a nice cushion. At first I thought about bubble wrapping the horseys too, but that would just be too much. We want safety, not to make the sport laughable.

Bettowin
03-24-2010, 05:47 PM

Sure.

A cup and mouthpiece is going to do a whole lot of good when a 1200lb horse falls on the jockey. My solution is much safer.

Hanover1
03-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Dude.... :D

Hanover1
03-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Retiring and becoming a trainer has had its results, however mixed.......

Stillriledup
03-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Retiring and becoming a trainer has had its results, however mixed.......

iYO of course.

Right? :jump:

CryingForTheHorses
03-24-2010, 06:12 PM
I know jockeys have a very tough job, and I often worry about their safety. I ask you members, what would make jockeys safer since we are in modern times?

I say that jockeys should wear cups and mouthpieces. I think this would help the jockeys safety greatly and I think there won't be quite the number of injuries there are otherwise.

Any thoughts?

I think it would be a problem wearing a mouthpeice as you could choke on it while riding the race and trying to breath and ride at the same time.Wearing a cup riding will do more damage if you slam into the saddle if your horse falls..Have you ever rode a horse?..If you havent then you wouldnt understand.It would be very hard for a jockey to wear more padding as his movement would be inhibited.NOTHING will ever protect you when on of these horses fall on you as the weight is moving and the force of impact is much greater then what the horse weights .The biggest thing a jockey can do is ride smart,Respect his fellow riders and always look ahead to what could happen before it does.

Hanover1
03-24-2010, 06:15 PM
iYO of course.

Right? :jump:
Actually the results HAVE been mixed......

Robert Goren
03-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Retiring and becoming a trainer has had its results, however mixed.......It was all of that and more for Shoemaker.;)

andymays
03-24-2010, 06:48 PM
This poster is one of a clique from Del Mar who is supported by the moderators and management there.

The best thing to do if they continue to do this is to send an email to Del Mar mangement and let them know you will not play Del Mar this summer.

You can contact them at this link.

http://www.dmtc.com/contact.php

Stillriledup
03-24-2010, 06:51 PM
This poster is one of a clique from Del Mar who is supported by the moderators and management there.

The best thing to do if they continue to do this is to send an email to Del Mar mangement and let them know you will not play Del Mar this summer.

You can contact them at this link.

http://www.dmtc.com/contact.php

Say it ain't so!

Cardus
03-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Mr. East Coast Bias, you are the best!

johnhannibalsmith
03-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Cut the guy some slack... his sarcasm gets more serious answers here in two hours than his serious posts get replies in two weeks back "at home." Not to worry, I'm sure the clocker will have some poetry about analgesics and the purple fella will report on Channing Hill soon... and that will complete the day's news over yonder. I don't blame a guy for cutting loose of the shackles.

Deepsix
03-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Send an email to Del Mar Management and threaten them that you won't bet Del Mar races 'because' someone they have no control over is posting on this site??!! Seriously?

andymays
03-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Send an email to Del Mar Management and threaten them that you won't bet Del Mar races 'because' someone they have no control over is posting on this site??!! Seriously?

Deepsix, let me ask you something.

When someone from another forum comes here to harrass people and does it with a few other people from that forum and then laughs about it in real time in their chatroom do think thats cool?

Do you think it's OK to let the poeple on this forum respond to someone making fun of them without letting them know?

Stillriledup
03-24-2010, 07:22 PM

If Del Mar even THOUGHT there was a 1% chance they would lose betting handle because of something that one of their posters was saying on another board, i would have to imagine that something would get done.

TJDave
03-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Replace them with these guys....

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/elsoberanooscuro/Ken.jpg

andymays
03-24-2010, 07:29 PM
If Del Mar even THOUGHT there was a 1% chance they would lose betting handle because of something that one of their posters was saying on another board, i would have to imagine that something would get done.

You would think so but to tell you the truth management there seems to support this clique even though they have been notified on several occasions. One of their posters sends chatroom copies (copy and paste) and you should see some of the stuff they get away with. The funny thing is nobody from here that I know posts over there in the same underhanded way so why would they come here and do it? :rolleyes:

Kind of pathetic on their part.

Deepsix
03-24-2010, 07:31 PM
There seems to be some flawed logic.... 1) If I were betting Del Mar I can tell you that these posts I read here (that you have appended your bold print guidance/link to) certainly wouldn't sway my decision to play Del Mar. 2) I personally wouldn't send Del Mar Management an email of the type you mentioned because its silly and would appear to be an idle threat.

Just my view of the world from the cheap seats. I'm also enjoying the various comments in response to those posts. A little levity from the daily humdrum concerning takeout %.

andymays
03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
There seems to be some flawed logic.... 1) If I were betting Del Mar I can tell you that these posts I read here (that you have appended your bold print guidance/link to) certainly wouldn't sway my decision to play Del Mar. 2) I personally wouldn't send Del Mar Management an email of the type you mentioned because its silly and would appear to be an idle threat.

Just my view of the world from the cheap seats. I'm also enjoying the various comments in response to those posts. A little levity from the daily humdrum concerning takeout %.

Then carry on! :ThmbUp:

I have a feeling most people here would like to know though.

Cardus
03-24-2010, 07:40 PM

I don't think that you are taking this seriously enough. This is very, very, very serious.

Tom
03-24-2010, 09:22 PM

They should be made to wear garlic. Never know when a vampire might be lurking around the quarter pole.

Tom
03-24-2010, 09:28 PM
HEY! Leave my uncle of this! :mad:

Replace them with these guys....

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/elsoberanooscuro/Ken.jpg

Igeteven
03-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Any thoughts?

this post was was already discussed on another forum, why is it here,

Tom
03-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Then carry on! :ThmbUp:

I have a feeling most people here would like to know though.

Remember the old Yahoo board?
Dmr board is that without the class. :lol:

Igeteven
03-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Remember the old Yahoo board?
Dmr board is that without the class. :lol:

your right on

:D :D :D :D :D :D