PDA

View Full Version : Short Fields at Santa Anita

Mr. ECB
03-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I looked at the card at Santa Anita today and I am appalled by the short fields. I thought these plastic tracks were supposed to promote field size and keep horses sound, but that is obviously not the case.

Anyway, now I see five horse fields with trainers entering multiple horses. This creates the possibility of big payoffs when the trainer decides to stiff the favorite and make the longshot win, creating carryovers and putting more money in the trainer's pocket.

I think this is a problem in CA racing and not sure of a solution,

Any thoughts?

Show Me the Wire
03-24-2010, 04:26 PM
I looked at the card at Santa Anita today and I am appalled by the short fields. I thought these plastic tracks were supposed to promote field size and keep horses sound, but that is obviously not the case.

Anyway, now I see five horse fields with trainers entering multiple horses. This creates the possibility of big payoffs when the trainer decides to stiff the favorite and make the longshot win, creating carryovers and putting more money in the trainer's pocket.

I think this is a problem in CA racing and not sure of a solution,

Any thoughts?

Related to the topic of the importance of owners, iin the 1st race at AQ thread.

Stillriledup
03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Its too much of a trainers/owners game and not enough of a bettors game. Owners love short fields, they just have to 'show up' pretty much and get a nice 3rd or 4th place check at least, ya know, just for playing.

Bettors dont' like short fields because takeout and breakage destroy them.

As far as trainers 'stiffing' one horse to make the other win at a higher price, i think that this happens so infrequently, that its not even worth discussing or worrying about. If you know of a trainer who constantly wins with the higher price of his two uncoupleds, your job is to keep quiet about it and exploit it for your own personal gain.

Hanover1
03-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Its too much of a trainers/owners game and not enough of a bettors game. Owners love short fields, they just have to 'show up' pretty much and get a nice 3rd or 4th place check at least, ya know, just for playing.

Bettors dont' like short fields because takeout and breakage destroy them.

As far as trainers 'stiffing' one horse to make the other win at a higher price, i think that this happens so infrequently, that its not even worth discussing or worrying about. If you know of a trainer who constantly wins with the higher price of his two uncoupleds, your job is to keep quiet about it and exploit it for your own personal gain.
I actually agree with this one Still.........however the bettors game has always remained the same-win, or lose............

Stillriledup
03-24-2010, 06:08 PM
I actually agree with this one Still.........however the bettors game has always remained the same-win, or lose............

True. But with short fields, i think the breakage means much more, esp in the WPS pools.

Hanover1
03-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Some see short fields as a gift, and others as auto tosses. A matter of perspective imo.

Stillriledup
03-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Some see short fields as a gift, and others as auto tosses. A matter of perspective imo.

I like short fields, like the 7 or 8 horse variety. I feel that in races like this, i can still get value, but at the same time, not have to worry that there are some extra bodies in my way. When you are playing synthetic, you have to play closers or deep closers on occasion....in 14 horse fields, you have to worry about traffic issues. I want to try and win or lose on my own horses talent and not have to worry that i'm going to get in some kind of traffic jam. This is why i prefer the 7/8 horse field over the 13/14 horse job.

andymays
03-24-2010, 06:49 PM
This poster is one of a clique from Del Mar who is supported by the moderators and management there.

The best thing to do if they continue to do this is to send an email to Del Mar mangement and let them know you will not play Del Mar this summer.

You can contact them at this link.

http://www.dmtc.com/contact.php

rwwupl
03-24-2010, 07:37 PM
This poster is one of a clique from Del Mar who is supported by the moderators and management there.

The best thing to do if they continue to do this is to send an email to Del Mar mangement and let them know you will not play Del Mar this summer.

You can contact them at this link.

http://www.dmtc.com/contact.php

Andy,

You are correct, this latest troll is copying things that Lester posted 2-3 years ago at DMFF, with their own twist. They have the keys to the old posts. Please ignore or contact D/M as posted above..