PDA

View Full Version : Schoolyard Dreams

MNslappy
03-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Schoolyard Dreams has had a couple of very nice races and made a spectacular, but way too early, move in the TB Derby. He seems to be flying well under the radar of most people. Any thoughts on this one's Derby chances (assuming his graded earnings are high enough to get in)? Also, I'd love to see someone break down his bloodlines. Thanks!

Charlie D
03-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Might be some comments of interest here http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66825

WinterTriangle
03-24-2010, 09:27 PM
SY has the same sire as Whirlaway winner Peppi Knows....(Stephen Got Even) sire won G1 @9F. Same sire line (BR) and BMs lines (RAN). Mom was a sprinter but won 4 of 5...average winning distance would max out for her at about 7F. *see more below

This guy tries hard, IMHO, and defies pedigree handicapping as Musket Man did. My derby list was incomplete, but I'd put him somewhere lower than my top 9, maybe at #13. ;) For now, I think he's going to stay an under the radar type due to that weird race at Tampa. I'm hoping to see him in one of the TC races.

I think I already mentioned that Dr. Roman gave him a -59 performance figure, which puts him theoretically in the arena where 6-8 derby winners have already been. -59 is the same PF given to Odysseus and Super Saver, depending on what you think of those. His theoretical pace parameters weren't outstanding in the Tampa Bay or the Sam Davis, race, but he used less energy doing it (% of E) than the other top finishers, and his projected last quarter mile 10FLQ is better as well.

That's all I can get on the pedigree handicapping side. :)

I just found a very nice write up here, including breaking down SY's pedigree, hope you find it of help. Note Ryan's comment:
http://www.drf.com/tc/kentuckyderby/2010/radar/radar.html

Charlie D
03-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Wood Memorial with Ramon on top.

MNslappy
03-31-2010, 01:10 AM
The more times I watch the Tampa Bay Derby and Sam F Davis, the more I'm talking myself into liking this one a whole lot. I'm doing what I always do in early April.....sigh.......falling in love with longshots :)

It's the most....
Wonderful time....
Of the year!

Market Mover
03-31-2010, 02:19 AM
Remember that Stephen Got Even had I Want Revenge, the big hyped Derby fav after his obviously impressive Wood win, as well as Don't Get Mad, who ran a respectable race in his day.

If Schoolyard Dreams had overhyped connections like IEAH, he'd be a lot shorter on a lot of people's Derby lists...

slewis
03-31-2010, 09:14 AM
Remember that Stephen Got Even had I Want Revenge, the big hyped Derby fav after his obviously impressive Wood win, as well as Don't Get Mad, who ran a respectable race in his day.

If Schoolyard Dreams had overhyped connections like IEAH, he'd be a lot shorter on a lot of people's Derby lists...

Our boy vanned up from Tampa the other day and arrived at Philly Park with his buddy Musket Man. I saw him briefly and told him about this post.

He said that he could care less about where he's ranked on people's lists, especially the clueless guy's lists, like "goo-goo eyes" Watchmaker and "pink hanky" Haskin.
He dont need no publicity......Just send CARROTS to barn 16 at Philly Park.

MNslappy
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
:ThmbUp:

Rackon
04-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Our boy vanned up from Tampa the other day and arrived at Philly Park with his buddy Musket Man. I saw him briefly and told him about this post.

He said that he could care less about where he's ranked on people's lists, especially the clueless guy's lists, like "goo-goo eyes" Watchmaker and "pink hanky" Haskin.
He dont need no publicity......Just send CARROTS to barn 16 at Philly Park.

Your boy's one of the most interesting horses on the Derby Trail, among the better horses but without a major Derby prep win.

I'll be watching him with great interest on Saturday and hoping you finally get a bit of racing luck. I thought your horse showed a lot of talent and guts in the TBD.

Oh, and I like Stephen Got Even as a sire, casual friends have/had a piece of this horse. Your biggest problem (besides bad luck) is lack of graded stakes earnings, which maybe gets fixed this weekend.

joanied
04-02-2010, 01:07 PM
I like Schoolyard Dreams...he's low on my Derby list, but I liked the courage he showed in the TB Derby...(I like his name too:) )...bloodlines are kind of half & half, so it's hard to judge which part of his pedigree will shine...on top it's laden with stamina, but the bottom is suspect.
I'll see how he does in the Wood and go from there!

MNslappy
04-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I'll see how he does in the Wood and go from there!

One thing's for sure, win or lose, he'll fight his ass off every step of the way.

46zilzal
04-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Nice one but will have to improve quiet a bit to win the Wood.

Should be in the hunt however and many a sophomore keeps improving right up the line to the Derby.

Trotman
04-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Oh Oh the kiss of death

clore1030
04-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Nice one but will have to improve quiet a bit to win the Wood.

Should be in the hunt however and many a sophomore keeps improving right up the line to the Derby.

I like what his trainer had to say:

"I'm not afraid of any horse in the country with this horse," Ryan said. "This is a legitimate two-turn horse, two-turn pedigree. He's an improving colt, a May foal. We'll see where he belongs after this race. If you can't compete here, then you don't belong going in the Derby."

Not a lot of bluster, but there's apparent faith in his chances for today without hyperbole for the future. I like that "one step at a time" mentality.

It's very marginal, but the horse does have the "fastest pace last race" score and if he improves as much as he did between the last two, this one looks to be the value bet of the race to me.