PDA

View Full Version : Starts per 100days-why do the dirt horses get an entire extra start if the synths are

Foolish Pleasure
03-24-2010, 01:29 PM
safer?

Please I am all ears here again.

In 2009 the avg dirt horse got almost an entire extra start over the turf and synthetic horses-why would that be?

Maybe it has something to do with the turf and synthetic tracks promoting racing of unsound horses?

Maybe the break lines in synths horse's form are imaginary?

Maybe at some point even the GM10rons of the world will get that the only thing the synthetic surfaces have accomplished is enabling scumbag trainers to run less sound horses-

but I am not holding my breath.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

gm10
03-24-2010, 04:18 PM
safer?

Please I am all ears here again.

In 2009 the avg dirt horse got almost an entire extra start over the turf and synthetic horses-why would that be?

Maybe it has something to do with the turf and synthetic tracks promoting racing of unsound horses?

Maybe the break lines in synths horse's form are imaginary?

Maybe at some point even the GM10rons of the world will get that the only thing the synthetic surfaces have accomplished is enabling scumbag trainers to run less sound horses-

but I am not holding my breath.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Can you tell me where you got those numbers from?

Tom
03-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Too many days lost to bad weather on the all-weather tracks? :rolleyes:

Brogan
03-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Too many days lost to bad weather on the all-weather tracks? :rolleyes:
And exactly where do you run races taken off the turf???

Saratoga_Mike
03-24-2010, 10:06 PM
And exactly where do you run races taken off the turf???

If you're a true turf horse, you scratch.

therussmeister
03-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Although I haven't compiled statistics so I might be wrong, it is my observation that horses at the cheaper tracks run more often than horses at the better tracks.

I have noticed right from the very beginning of simulcasting, as the purses increased when tracks started selling their signal, the average number of days between starts seemed to increase, and I noticed the same thing with the addition of racinos. This is ironic because increased purses were supposed to mean bigger fields, but I don't see it.

There have been a few tracks that avoided this trap, and I think it's mostly at tracks with a short meet where the trainers have a limited window of time to cover shipping expenses.

If this is true, it seems most certain that synthetic tracks as a whole have a higher than average purse structure, and would be affected by this phenomenon.

Spalding No!
03-24-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm sure this story is nothing more than a plant to cause trouble.

I'm not going to buy into any sweeping generalizations until I see the numbers comparing the BC Turf to the BC Classic.

Stillriledup
03-25-2010, 01:06 AM
SN doesn't want to see sweeping generalizations (SG for short) which gets me to thinking about THIS question.

For those synthetic proponents out there, don't you think that if there was a statistic out there that showed synthetic was safer and horses had more starts, we would see it plastered SOMEWHERE?

rastajenk
03-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Maybe correlating safety with more starts is a misguided assumption.

Brogan
03-25-2010, 08:32 AM
If you're a true turf horse, you scratch.
So then they shouldn't count those that do run on the dirt as starts?

I was adding to the reason why there are more dirt starts than turf/aws starts.

SMOO
03-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Maybe correlating safety with more starts is a misguided assumption.

Bingo

Foolish Pleasure
03-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Right it may not be a barometer of health and then again it may be the only reliable barometer of health-sure as hell not trusting a thing that comes from the Mary Scollays of the world and others bought and paid for by KEE/Polytrack USA-I assume you people know that KEE is 50% owners of Polytrack USA.

and I ironically I missed a word in my OP.

dirt horses are getting almost a whole extra start per 100 days,
or three whole extra starts a year.

AQU horses amongst the most frequently raced. -somehow they getting numerous more starts than their west coast counterparts despite the obvious handicap of weather and poor surface conditions.

IT is a joke it is not close.

rastajenk
03-25-2010, 01:50 PM
What's a dirt horse? What a synth horse? What category is a horse that runs at Turfway and Keeneland, then goes to Churchill, Ellis, or River? Or a horse that does Mountaineer, Thistle, and Presque Isle? Or an Arlington/Hawthorne horse? How do you measure that kind of thing?

Foolish Pleasure
03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Turfway and Keeneland, then goes to Churchill, Ellis, or River

in a 100day period?

use the obvious and let the more obscure go.

I can see it in the animal's themselves why can't they? Arthur? Scollay et al-you show me two post parades of similar level horses-100% I can tell which is dirt which is synth from the horses themselves-why can't trained vets see the same thing?

rastajenk
03-25-2010, 03:43 PM
In other words, you can't really back it up, can you?